PDA

View Full Version : DM Help I need ideas for my Barbarian encounter!

Mojake
2018-05-30, 02:25 PM
My players have been tasked with gathering a report on a barbarian warband gathering to the North. They are to identify the tribe, their combat effectiveness, their number and then to report back. I'd like to have the players fight some of the barbarians at some point, but I feel like I've messed up by making it sound like a stealthy stake-out job where they observe from a distance with no action. What are some ideas for encounters or skill checks? The environment is arctic.

Vogie
2018-05-30, 03:21 PM
The PCs could totally go and have a stealthy stakeout, then on the way back to the town or caravan, they'll run into a pair of barbarian scouts that were doing the exact same thing.

If they discover them first, they can get the drop on the barbs.
If they are discovered by the returning Barbs, the barbs get the drop on the PCs.
If they see the Barbs from far off, they could attempt to stealth and watch them pass
If they are seen by the barbs from far off, the Barbarians may start stalking the PCs until one of the PCs is alone, then jump them.

MrStabby
2018-05-30, 04:35 PM
I feel barbarian patrols should come with appropriate animal support (ok more a ranger thing but for npc you can mix and match). Pick a spirit animal for the tribe or individual and add it to the encounter. Eagle scouts, wolf trackers or bear mounts.

Afrodactyl
2018-05-30, 04:45 PM
While the party are out eyeballing the barbarian forces, who's to say that the barbarians don't have scouts of their own that are eyeballing the party?