PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Player problem - maybe new character as a solution?

Inea
2018-05-30, 02:39 PM
I’m looking for some advice with one of my players…

I’m sadly quite sure that there is no perfect solution, but maybe someone has an idea to make things easier.

Last time his character died and next session we will make a new one.
I have some hopes that it could make things better - or that we could at least avoid to repeat old mistakes, since the group didn't like his last character… and the characters before that…
Yes, I know it's not really a character problem, but I hope a new character is a new chance.

Sorry for my english and beware, it's quite a long story...

Two problems:

First:
He likes to play unique characters – “wizards“ mostly, although he never played a wizard - who are “good in everything”. In the last campaign he played a paladin and changed his spells (the DM tried to work out something with him) so they were highly versatile and he would use them in very creative ways at any time possible.
No problems with that.
But whenever he ran out of spellslots he would start to complain that he feels useless. He even fled fights, leaving the group behind or tried to stay back to make longrests on his own, if the group didn’t want to stop and rest.

At that time I was playing a sorcerer and we got in some serious fights about it, because I tried to tell him, that a paladin is not a mage and that there is a reason, why my spell slots would always last longer than his (beside the fact, that I wasn’t using my spells for random things like climbing over walls instead of using the doors and stuff like that).

Now I’m DMing and because I am new at it, I decided everyone has to stick with the normal rules – so no „make your own spells“ and make a wizard out of a paladin. Not even multiclass is allowed (well, it was never in our group).

He decided on a cleric and it went well for a while. But we made the „change your spells after every longrest“-rule on trust and a few weeks ago we found out, that he decided he doesn’t like the rule and ignores it. So he plays the Cleric as if he knows always all the existing Cleric-Spells. I tried to explain to him that it isn’t fair towards the other players, but he thinks it doesn’t make him „to strong“ and that it is just fine like that.

I wanted to pick that argument up again, but in the last session, his character died (really unlucky rolls in a row). Next session we will start with making a new character for him and he will probably not play a cleric again…
Problem is: I fear that there is just no „normal“ character that he would like the way it is. We already play with classes like the gunsmith and stuff like that, but i fear we will be back at the old arguments soon.
I would like him to have fun with the game like anyone else and I don’t want to hurt his feelings, but I’m so tired of this things… and unfortunatly the other players are too…

Any advice for making his new character?
It should be versatily and feel „useful“. By the way he thought my fire-centric-sorcerer was boring as hell, only casting fireballs all day and no armour class at all...

Second:
He likes secrets – as long as they involve him personally.

He is really into this kind of things like having a character background with a secret friend who would help him occasionally or secretly making friends with random people in a town, so they would help him.

He also loves writing secret short messages to the DM about things he is doing in secret and normally we just ignore it and everyone is happy. There were some coincidences even there, but mostly it’s fine.

Unfortunatly sometimes it is the other way around and one or two of the other characters know something his character doesn‘t.

When he knows the secret as a player, he would try to metagame until he found out. (even casting zone of truth, randomly walking to another room or declaring that he must have overheard/overseen something). If he didn’t find out that way he would go angry and sometimes he brings the whole group in danger.
He arguments, that it’s just what his character would do and sees this actions as totally justified.
To tell the true, we kind of have given up on telling him otherwise and ignore it as good as we could…

And last but not least there are the times, when he doesn’t know a secret – not even as a player, but then he picks something up.
That’s really not often the case, because he is the only one who regularly writes secret short messages to the DM, but it happened a few times in the last games.

The last time it happened, it involved my character, the fire sorcerer. He stole a letter out of my backpack to read it. Another character saw it, called out and I demanded the letter back. He wouldn’t return it, even as my character began to threaten him. He said he could put up with me and even mocked me, but I had got my hands on a heat metal spell, casted it on his armour, brought him down, got the letter back and got him stabilized afterwards. The group was on my side and his character left us.
As a player he declared, I had overreacted and he was just trying to make a little bit of fun.

So what I try to say: we already have a little background story on that kind of things…

I would really like his new character to work out with the group, so I’m looking for advice. How do you handle such situations?
What can I do to prevent such things?
Should I just outright forbid actions like stealing from other characters if they ever occur again?
Should I even get involved since I’m the DM now?

This problems really feel a bit dumb to be honest, but I’m just not sure how to handle it.

FelineArchmage
2018-05-30, 02:45 PM
Sorry to say this, but it doesn't seem like this is going to be fixed with just making a new character.

I think you and them need to have a 1 on 1 conversation over a cup of coffee and you need to lay down the rules. It sounds like you and the rest of the group are starting to not have fun. If this continues you might just have to kick them out of the game.

DMThac0
2018-05-30, 02:49 PM
This is, pure and simple, a player problem.

There is no solution in game that will fix your issues.

Explain to your player, these are the rules we are playing with and if you cannot abide by them, you are no longer welcome at the table.

It's never any fun to have someone who will not play by the table's accepted rules. It's never any fun having a player who cheats. It's never any fun having to kick a player out. In this situation you may be stuck with that decision.

If the player can, and does, have a civil conversation and understands what is requested of them, then it may be possible to keep them in the game. If, however, they do nothing but argue and complain...they won't be a good fit.

Unoriginal
2018-05-30, 03:00 PM
Do the rest of your group (including you) enjoy playing with this person?

Inea
2018-05-30, 03:27 PM
I know it‘s more a player problem then anything else – it‘s no coincidence that everyone of his characters comes with another problem.

But I don‘t want to kick him out. We are good friends and I own him a lot. And to clarify it, most of the time everything is fine. It just gets problematic on two occasions 1) he feels useless (normally because he is out of spellslots) or 2) someone knows something he doesn’t.

It’s just… he really doesn’t seem to notice that he is even wrong. He didn’t even cheated in the common sense, he really thinks, that it is just no big deal if he knew all cleric spells and stuff like that.

And yes, it’s starting to annoy almost anyone. But to be honest, we are at a point, where a temporary solution to the problem would be just fine. My boyfriend and I will most likely move to another area at the end of summer and the other two core members said to us, that they are not willing to play without us. (We are a group of seven, me + boyfriend, two “good” players, our “problem”-player, one player who is happy if he can fight occasionally and one who just wants to stay around but didn’t do much in the game

hymer
2018-05-30, 03:29 PM
Do the rest of your group (including you) enjoy playing with this person?
Sounds like they aren't. But the group indeed ought to have a chat about where it stands on this player, and where they'd stand on not playing with him any more.

Anyway, I'm all for talking, OP, but you've already tried that, and it didn't work. You can continue talking, but odds are it won't work any better this time around. I wouldn't invite that player to my games any more. You might be more forceful and lay down the law: You can play with us if you stop hogging the spotlight and spoiling other people's fun (though you'll need to be more specific than that, of course). But this, too, should be after talking with the rest of the group first.

Unoriginal
2018-05-30, 03:31 PM
Have the group sit with him and try to explain to him what you told us, before he makes a new character.

Fire Tarrasque
2018-05-30, 03:33 PM
Yeah, player problems are fairly normal, and I need to get around to sorting some of mine out myself, and a good talk should work. As for the class, that's easy: Bard, probably College of Whispers or Lore. Bard has a very versatile set of abilities, can be easily refluffed as a wizard. College of Whispers is really concentrated on secrets and intrigue, but alternatively, Lore allows you to just steal 3 spells off of any other spell list, making his whole "novel solutions" thing easy. Standard Bard also get's 3 steal spells, but Lore gets 3 additional and they start at level 6. Lore also get's more original ways to use Bardic Inspiration. Oh yeah. Bardic Inspiration is always nice, though not necessary. I had a Bard in my campaign who didn't know what Bardic Inspiration was the entire campaign.

Inea
2018-05-30, 03:46 PM
Has “sitting down and talk with him” ever solved such a problem?
Like I said, he didn't even see his behaviour as problematic or does it on purpose.
Sry for my doubts, but I fear it would just hurt his feelings and nothing more… at least your last “talks” hadn’t brought more than bad mood. :|

It probably sounds stupid, but if there is any way I would rather work around it in game (like, since he wouldn’t tell his secrets to the others, he never gets important information from NPC if he talks with them alone).

Thanks, the bard sounds like it's worth a try!

Pex
2018-05-30, 03:57 PM
He wants to be a special snowflake. Fulfill that need by having him take the Noble background and during downtime be involved with political intrigue. Give him a Title he can use in game to introduce himself when roleplaying during the adventure.

Out of game he needs to be taught to conserve resources. He's using up everything his character can do as soon as he can then has nothing left, and the adventuring day isn't even half over. Speak with him out of game on how to do this then remind him in game when he's wasting his stuff. It could also help to have him play a character that gets stuff back on short rests - Battlemaster Fighter, Monk, Warlock. He still needs to conserve but not as much. He uses his stuff and gets it back soon enough.

War_lord
2018-05-30, 04:18 PM
Honestly, it sounds like this goes beyond even simple "problem player" and into the territory of me wondering if this guy has some sort of personality disorder.

Kalashak
2018-05-30, 04:33 PM
I've been in this sort of situation before, and in my experience there isn't going to be any sort of in game solution to this because it's not an in game problem. Playing a new class isn't likely to help because he's perfectly willing to ignore the rules and apparently the DM if disagrees. Not giving him any NPC secrets is just going to make him upset because it's what he's gotten used to. If he's not really bothered by how you all feel about his behavior and none of you are willing to kick him your only option is to put up with this until isn't worth putting up with anymore.
I understand that sometimes group dynamics are weird and its difficult to kick a friend, but in retrospect it's something I wish I had done in every similar situation I've been in.

Sinon
2018-05-30, 05:14 PM
Yes, player problem. I agree, but since you are looking for an in-game solution:

I think this person doesn't know how to manage his resources. Then he gets frustrated. Then he blames the rules. Then he breaks them.

I would make him a warlock, specifically a Hexblade Tomelock focused on EB.

I know that isn’t optimal, but hear me out:

The flavor seems right for a player that wants to have secrets. You traded your soul for power; what bigger secret is there?

It may seem counterintuitive that a guy who gets upset when running out of spells would take a class that only has 2 slots, but:

1) His spells recharge on a short rest, which are more practical than longs.
2) When he does use up his spells, he’s left with one of the most practical cantrips in the game.
I know some people consider EB boring, but with Invocations that add pushing or pulling to the blasts, you should be able to find something creative to do with it pretty regularly.

Why hexblade?

3) Hexblade’s Curse adds something to his to-do options.
4) So do his specters. (I don’t know your level; if he’s on his third character, I assume mid-level?)

Why Pact of the Tome over the more obvious Past of the Blade? Because:

5) Even more cantrips. If he has some of the SCAG stuff, he’s solid in melee and out. (Cha as attack stat, medium armor)
6) Rituals (Book of Ancient Secrets) – I don’t know how you deal with starting wealth, but which ritual is game breaking? And again, this gives him a lot to do. Things like Leomund’s Secret Hut might make the rest of the party more amenable to taking a rest. (Seriously, we all benefit.)
Find Familiar gives him something to play with and keep busy, and things like Augury play into his desire for knowledge others don’t have.

There are lots of races that add even more things to the player's tool box; I’m thinking additional spells, so drow, tiefling, aasimar, yuan-ti.

I know this is not an optimized character, but it is a character that has a lot of reasonable choices, including minions, like a specter and an owl.

This character is admittedly not going to be great at things. But it will be good at a lot, and in most campaigns, good is good enough.

I think (hope) that having a character with a lot of options will encourage him to start looking at the strategic use of those options, and once you get someone thinking about strategy, they might start having a bit more respect for rules.

CTurbo
2018-05-30, 05:42 PM
He definitely needs a good talking to for sure no matter what. I would stress how important it is to be a TEAM PLAYER.

I really think he needs to play a short rest character as mentioned above like Warlock, Monk, Battle Master Fighter.

Does he HAVE to play a caster?

A Rogue is unique in that they don't really rely on short/long rest resources. As a Rogue, he would be highly skilled and always have something to do. You could offer to play up Thieves Cant since he likes secrets so much. The Urban Bounty Hunter Background would be perfect for him. Half-Elf Swashbuckler would be great for even more skills and a reliable Sneak Attack damage.

If he just insists on playing a caster, then Warlock is the obvious choice. They don't get a lot of spells, but they recharge on a short rest, and as Pact of the Tome, he'd start with 5 cantrips and end up with 7 so he would always have a lot of utility "spells" to use all the time. It also lets you learn any Ritual. Fiend gives him temporary hit points per kill to help with survivability. Pact of the Tome also lets him get a regular Familiar which I think somebody like him would like to have. Pact of the Chain gets him an improved Familiar which he would probably have a lot of fun with.

Contrast
2018-05-30, 06:07 PM
But to be honest, we are at a point, where a temporary solution to the problem would be just fine.

Temporary solution? Be all up in his grill with the rules. Demand a written copy of his spell list and prepared spells and have a crib sheet with his spell slots and resources on which you can tick off as he uses them. If he complains, point out that he was the one who wouldn't agree to obey the rules without monitoring.

If you're DMing and he tries to metagame/hassle people, just shut it down and say 'nope doesn't happen, moving on'. Brook no argument.

It'll probably just breed resentment on both sides but that's your short term solution if you don't want to talk it out like adults. For clarity, I think this is a bad solution.

Like I said, he didn't even see his behaviour as problematic or does it on purpose.
Sry for my doubts, but I fear it would just hurt his feelings and nothing more… at least your last “talks” hadn’t brought more than bad mood. :|

It probably sounds stupid, but if there is any way I would rather work around it in game (like, since he wouldn’t tell his secrets to the others, he never gets important information from NPC if he talks with them alone).

We had a player who was becoming increasingly obsessed with 'winning' the game (including attacking other PCs if they challenged him) and threw an out of character strop when something went really badly for his character in game (as a result of the actions of other PCs). DM talked to him and let him know he was being a wazzock. Massive improvement since then.

While bard is a decent choice (they primarily buff so if he does bend the rules, it'll benefit others at least) I'd honestly suggest steering clear of casters entirely (so many moving parts to keep track of its difficult for you to check in the middle of everything else you're doing that he's actually sticking to the rules). I would suggest rogue but with what you've said that would be even more of a nightmare. Maybe try a battlemaster fighter or something?

Jerrykhor
2018-05-30, 10:35 PM
You have to lay down the 'No PVP' rule, and define what is considered PVP. Stealing from party members is usually considered as such. Also, remind him that being an ******* have consequences.

But of course, its not an easy problem to solve if he don't recognise the problem in the first place.

Pelle
2018-05-31, 04:03 AM
For secrets, just don't give the players any. Be clear on that when one character learns something new, the base assumption is that they will tell the other characters, so that the players are ok to metagame freely.

As for not wanting to follow the rules, is it a problem? If he isn't overshadowing the others and is not being disruptive, just talk to the other players and agree to let him be 'special'.

hymer
2018-05-31, 04:53 AM
I've had more than one problem player who were able to learn and tone down the relevant behaviour, and direct communication about the problem is the most effective way to bring it about. Whether it works depends a lot on their personality, of course. Not everyone is willing to change their behaviour just because they're asked to, which is often times what it amounts to.

MoiMagnus
2018-05-31, 07:15 AM

Social advice:

You have to be clear with him on one point:
Sometimes, you will be useless, or not the center of attention, this is because other players are the center of attention, so RESPECT them and let them have fun.
That's like stopping playing a board game when you have no longer any chance to win. Sure, you can't win, but by stopping to play you break the fun.
I think that's really important for him to be aware that sometimes, his behavior is detrimental.
You may not want to say directly "most of the group is full of you s*** so stop behaving like that" because it will only hurt his feeling.
However, things like "you know, when you did [thing], that was not very kind to [someone]. He was trying to have fun by doing [thing] but he couldn't because of you. I know you didn't intend any harm but the goal is that everyone should have fun." have far more chance to work.

Also, at some point, it might be important to say that even friends can be incompatible types of players. In my circle of friends, some of them have approach of role playing game so different it is literally impossible to have an interesting session with all of them (while with only part of them, no problems). Forcing players to play together while there are incompatible does not lead to any good (trust my experience). It does not resolve itself. It become worse, because people are more and more frustrated.
A good metaphor is "If two people like to walk together, but one use to walk quickly and one slowly, but still decide to walk together, the quick one will be more and more frustrated to walk slower and the slow one to walk quicker. At the end, they will no longer be able to enjoy walking together."
The only way we managed to deal with it is to split the group in 2, but making a Campaign based explicitly on what one of the player hated (politics), so that it was not difficult to say "Well, we have no problem playing with you, but the plan is to makes a lot of kingdom ruling and politics, so that's probably not a good idea for you since you don't like it at all. By the way, if you are interested into being a DM, I would like to try as a player, so maybe we could do another campaign with you in parallel?", and recruit new player to feel up the two groups.

Technical advice:
Warlock is a good short term solution (as said by other). They are the only class that can really say "I want to levitate at will" or anything like that. And if he want a cleric background, he can be a cleric of a forgotten god or anything like that.
For secrets, you may want to try the rule "no secret in middle of a session", every secret is by mail (or in real life) between sessions.

Long term advice:
I don't think D&D is suited as a gaming system for this player. I think he would have more fun with more narrative-style games, where rules are far less strict, and allow skills like "I have a lot of friends".
I personally use the Fusina system, but I've only found a french edition so probably not very useful for you on
(In case you speak french, it is on GitHub from "Armaklan" the project "JDR-Fusina")

Inea
2018-05-31, 07:52 AM
Hey again,
Thank you all for your help!

Indeed, I had forgotten your initial problem with the player – he would often wander off alone without the group to do stuff. We talked to him and he started to drag this one player with him that wouldn’t say or do a lot no matter what. At the end your DM handled it with a few important things that happened while his character wasn’t around and some near-dead-encounters for him while he was alone. Sometimes he still wanders off but only on special occasions (well… while handling his “secrets” or because he is out of spellslots).

I get the feeling your group is a little bit weird at handling this kind of problems. xD

We already have a warlock and someone with a noble background, but yes, I guess I will give him something special with his background. Sounds like the easiest way.

Secrets: Well, I did tell him stuff, just nothing important for the big story so he couldn’t mess up the main plot. We are all just fine with him messing one or two side-quests up. The outcome is often funny for the whole group – and the player isn’t always a “problem”, normally he is fun to play with. (It may not sound so, but most of the time, he is really okay.)

Magic character: Yes, it has to be a caster. I mean, he played the paladin like it was a wizard (and he wouldn’t play a wizard, because wizards have no armour class and HP… yes, sometimes he is a little bit weird). It’s not even that he wants to be super strong – he just wants to be versatile and probably without any weak points.

“No PVP”-rule: Yep, I guess I will try that.

@MoiMagnus: Thanks! I think you get the problem quite right. And yeah, he really has exactly this kind of problem when we play board games. ;)
But the situation is: We just want to end this campaign in peace and with everyone having fun. After this campaign the group will stop playing because my boyfriend and I will move to another area. Probably they will start something new with part of the group, but we haven't talked about it.

MoiMagnus
2018-05-31, 01:47 PM
We already have a warlock [...]

Magic character: Yes, it has to be a caster. I mean, he played the paladin like it was a wizard (and he wouldn’t play a wizard, because wizards have no armour class and HP… yes, sometimes he is a little bit weird). It’s not even that he wants to be super strong – he just wants to be versatile and probably without any weak points.

He is probably looking for the standard "superhero". (good in close combat, with versatile superpowers, and a secret past.)

So here are other technical suggestions:
+ Maybe allow change of known spell, but control it. Something like "between missions, you can take 1 day of training to change 1 spell", or give as reward of some quest some "scroll of knowledge" that allow to change a known spell. Anything that makes sense in the context, but make sure you have the control over that, and that it is a restricted rule, for everybody.
+ If you have SCAG, the Bladesinger Wizzard is probably a good suggestion. That's a melee wizzard. You can drop the "elve only restriction" since that's not really relevant if you do not play in the sword coast universe.
+ Is the Monk an option? (With the way of the four element for having some spells)
+ If not to both, maybe a multiclassed characters may be an idea.

GlenSmash!
2018-05-31, 03:37 PM
Honestly I'd talk about the social contract of the game. Everyone one is there to have fun, not service the fun of one player. Talk about sharing spotlight, how some players will shine when others won't.

As for what class he would enjoy, College of Whispers Bard is all sorts of secrety.

Spore
2018-05-31, 03:48 PM
But I don‘t want to kick him out. We are good friends and I own him a lot. And to clarify it, most of the time everything is fine. It just gets problematic on two occasions 1) he feels useless (normally because he is out of spellslots) or 2) someone knows something he doesn’t.

I've got the same problems in my group but divided to two players. (I myself have other issues, no one is a perfect roleplayer).

1) Help him to create a character that is a jack of all trades. Deeply, DEEPLY emphasize that he would then be a master of none. 5e has tuned down its numbers enough that no one should feel useless in any circumstance.

For spells, simply request prepared spell lists from everyone. If the other players have to do extra work because of him, maybe that pressures him out of doing it. Other than that, there are enough character options that allow him to participate.

2) I think he wants to participate in everything all the time. Tell him he might know a few things OOC but using this knowledge ingame will be unacceptable. If he does so, you can tell him that you will simply stop DM'ing until he stops abusing meta knowledge and other cheats. He is blatantly cheating.

Honestly, it sounds like this goes beyond even simple "problem player" and into the territory of me wondering if this guy has some sort of personality disorder.

Stuff like this is gradually most of the time. My English is not the best for describing this. But it is not binary. He might show symptoms but still be considered perfectly healthy. And for god's sake don't try and diagnose anything. "I think Terry is depressive." No, Terry has just had a bad month. If Terry is still sad the day he wins 100 dollar in the lottery and nothing significantly bad happens, you might be on to something.

Contrast
2018-05-31, 03:49 PM
It’s not even that he wants to be super strong

Okay.

– he just wants to be versatile and probably without any weak points.

...errr.

GlenSmash!
2018-05-31, 03:51 PM
Okay.

...errr.

LOL.

I have actually had a character that shot for 14 in each stat, and thus had no dumped saves or checks.

But I didn't expect to walk away after running out of spell slots, that's flat out ridiculous.

Aimeryan
2018-05-31, 04:21 PM
Sounds like 5e might not be the edition for him; versatility, unique builds, and abundance of resources (spells/spell slots/interesting magic items) are not 5e's strong points.

~~~

Did your group ever try 3.5e? There is a lot that can be done in that edition, although balance is difficult to achieve at times; mostly full casters are too strong, however, gish classes (half caster, half mundane) are considered amongst some of the most balanced while also still being very interesting, if somewhat less versatile. In either case, running out of resources is far less of a thing in 3.5e.

For a full caster, Cleric would definitely be an option - wears armour, very versatile, lots of resources, lots of different interesting builds.

For a gish, one of the Tome Of Battle classes could be a good option due to the replenishing manoeuvres - Crusader, for example. They just cannot run out of resources, yet are still fairly versatile. Another choice might be something like Duskblade - more magical, but if I recall correctly resources could be an issue for them (never useless though due to long-lasting self-buffs).

~~~

Going back to 5e, the general resource of casters in this edition is the cantrip. Unfortunately, most cantrips are quite dull - essentially being the equivalent of a weapon attack. The only cantrip I personally find to be that interesting is Minor Image, however, this is so poorly written on the exact limitations that it can become a battlefield of arguments all by itself.

I'm afraid to say that in 5e most of the time what you do is a generic attack (whether via cantrip or weapon), in which dependent on class you modify passively to some extent (Extra Attacks, Sneak Attack, etc.), or use an active resource to add more damage to it (Smite, Superiority Dice, etc.). You still are essentially just attacking. Spells are quite infrequent at early levels, while even at high levels they become only somewhat common in combat for an individual player. If you use spells outside of combat then you may indeed be just down to "I attack" in combat.

I resonate with your friend as I too would like more versatility and not running out of resources so very easily (I prefer my challenges as tactical and strategic, rather than logistical), however, I've given up on 5e being mechanically that interesting. I enjoy it now for being a simple way to play with my friends while we roleplay out the campaign, with the combat largely being a prop for the campaign - indeed, I could very easily see taking the combat out of the game and just describing any encounter as the group being able to handle the situation or not.

5e has required me to shift my expectations to enjoy playing it - your friend might need to do the same if they still want to play 5e.

CTurbo
2018-05-31, 05:04 PM
I really think Warlock Pact of Tome would best fit this guy since it has so many cantrips and rituals, and can have a familiar.

Mercurias
2018-05-31, 11:52 PM
Okay yes the ultimate problem sounds like the player believing his character is the hero of the story rather than one member of a group of people.

Since Warlock is taken, why not make him a Moon Druid and part of a Druidic circle that is dedicated to some particular task? Druids are highly versatile full casters, and a Moon Druid has several options for forms that grant higher AC for melee Combat. Since your friend wouldn’t be able to cast while shifted for most, if not all, of the campaign, that will also help ration his spells. Once he hits lv 10 and can shift into Elemental forms he can feel SUPER snowflakey.

Druids tend to wander off on their own anyway. They’re weird nature people. His “secrets” could be in the form of feeling a city’s aura while trotting through the streets as a stray dog.

Long term, though, he’s going to need to learn how to share with the group and accept that things will happen without him.

Inea
2018-06-07, 09:24 AM
Thanks again for your help.

We talked a lot and he agreed, that he didn't like the whole system - but he didn't want to leaf the group, so... well… looks like we will finish this campaign with him and try your best.

To the character: He decided on a Moon Druid and i think it is a good choice, but the start was rough. He switched to an animal as soon as the group went into line of sight and it looks like he will play this character as the mysterious stranger. Until now, the group doesn't even know his name in character. I'm not exactly thrilled, but at least he isn't working against them or something like that.
Well... we will see. Guess I have to sit down with him again in the near future. ;)