PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Sha'ir question.

DragonsAion
2018-05-30, 07:36 PM
Can a Sha'ir take the obtain familiar feat and get both the gen and the familiar?

DrMotives
2018-05-30, 07:40 PM
As an arcane caster, yes.

jdizzlean
2018-05-30, 07:45 PM
nope, in the sha'ir text it says your gen is treated like a familiar in all other aspects and that you can't have both a gen and a familiar

A sha'ir's spells must be retrieved from the
elemental planes by his familiar, an outsider called a
gen.

DrMotives
2018-05-30, 08:00 PM
D'oh, that's what I get for not reading the whole thing. Sorry, no double-familiar allowed. You could try a feat that improves the familiar, while keeping it still a gen. So, a shadow gen with ToM, or an undead gen with LM. Although I don't see an appeal with either of those.

Arcanist
2018-05-30, 08:09 PM
You could try a feat that improves the familiar, while keeping it still a gen. So, a shadow gen with ToM, or an undead gen with LM. Although I don't see an appeal with either of those.

Turning them Undead and then making them Spellstitched is pretty good. Give them a 4th level Spell (Minor Creation just off the top of my head).

DragonsAion
2018-05-30, 08:39 PM
Away from book right now so the mistake is mine.

schreier
2018-05-30, 10:26 PM
Extra familiar in dragon 280 could get you one

DragonsAion
2018-05-30, 11:34 PM
On another note, I'm thinking of combining this class with a warlock in a gestalt build.

Psyren
2018-05-31, 08:46 AM
On another note, I'm thinking of combining this class with a warlock in a gestalt build.

It works very well with Warlock, because you can fall back on your invocations while your gen is on walkabout. Outside of gestalt, since Sha'ir are technically both arcane and divine casters, you can build yourself to qualify for both Eldritch Theurge and Eldritch Disciple and get some powerful abilities.

schreier
2018-05-31, 02:07 PM
It works very well with Warlock, because you can fall back on your invocations while your gen is on walkabout. Outside of gestalt, since Sha'ir are technically both arcane and divine casters, you can build yourself to qualify for both Eldritch Theurge and Eldritch Disciple and get some powerful abilities.

Generally can't use "Theurge" type classes in a gestalt though

Psyren
2018-05-31, 02:50 PM
Generally can't use "Theurge" type classes in a gestalt though

I know that, hence the bolded bit :smalltongue:

schreier
2018-05-31, 04:28 PM
Sorry about that 😉