PDA

View Full Version : Curious about Monk Weapons

Ogrillian
2018-05-30, 08:25 PM
I’ve been wondering if glove-type weapons (such as hand wraps or FF8’s Zell) or steel-toed boots/shoes could be used on a monk if specifically not classified as armor and what their Stats might be? Would just adding +1 or similar effects be too much; ie.. Equipping Brass Knuckles only gives +1 to unarmed strikes.

There doesn’t seem to be much, if any, equipment that improves their core skill (unarmed strike), and to my knowledge it is the only base class that suffers so. Most, if not all of their gear, could just as easily give boosts to another class. And yes I know monk’s are supposed to be low gear but you think a wizard somewhere at some point in time would have thought to make something helpful to them by now.

Blackbando
2018-05-30, 08:44 PM
I'd personally rule that, yes, they do work. I tend to use the Middle Finger of Vecna's Fist property for those weapons, which basically just counts the weapon attacks made with the weapon as unarmed strikes. I don't give a damage benefit to them, though; the main benefit is that they can be magic items and affected by spells working on weapons.

Also, monks use actual weapons for the majority of their playtime in a campaign. They don't get 1d8 unarmed strikes until 11th level, and will most likely wield a weapon until and even past then. Those weapons can be upgraded, enchanted, magic, etc.

Ogrillian
2018-05-30, 11:53 PM
I'd personally rule that, yes, they do work. I tend to use the Middle Finger of Vecna's Fist property for those weapons, which basically just counts the weapon attacks made with the weapon as unarmed strikes. I don't give a damage benefit to them, though; the main benefit is that they can be magic items and affected by spells working on weapons.

Will keep that in mind, was thinking of ways to fluff in fist type weapons, (Samurai X season 2 episode 9) I could just adjust where the handle is located to more of a Katar style

Also, monks use actual weapons for the majority of their playtime in a campaign. They don't get 1d8 unarmed strikes until 11th level, and will most likely wield a weapon until and even past then. Those weapons can be upgraded, enchanted, magic, etc.

I know that but you can find weapons and armor that grant extra spells, extend rages & shapeshift times, or similar class defining bonuses yet I haven’t seen any ITEM that could directly boost UnArmed damage, (or even just FoB.) except for a single amulet in the Dragon Queen quests, and I believe it was a +1 to natural weapons which could be applied to you. Things like the Belt of Giant can work but they boost strength and not Dex, which helps other classes more. And I’ve always had more of an Ip Man image in my head instead of the Sword wieldy types when I think MONK.

DapperReaper
2018-06-01, 11:31 PM
the only thing that comes to my mind is pathfinder's amulet of mighty fists (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/amulet-of-mighty-fists) and not sure that has a comparable in other d20 systems(would be surprised if there wasn't something similar at least) although pathfinder also has that weird rule where monk fists count as manufactured weapons for effects that matter, which means you could theoretically toss weapon enchantments on them <,< so ya know there's that

Ogrillian
2018-06-05, 05:15 AM
I’ve gotten the hang of fist weapons, my team has a dwarf with smithing skills(shockingly rare😁) and as long as I have sufficient materials I can change simple weapons over to fist type and must be used in pairs. I’m currently using a sickle blade attached to a bracelet to form a crow blade(see Deadman Wonderland) for each arm, which just changed my damage type to slashing and gave it +2 damage (not per arm) and can still be enchanted after modifications and steel toed boots for an additional +1 damage.

It’s working wonders so far, and while I can’t wield other weapons I am still treated as having two Free hands.

Edited Note: thought I should add the +2 doesn’t mean it’s treated as magical. Whatever weapon is changed adds half the size of the damage die to my unarmed damage if it has a + damage bonus it is added over, and better materials add similar bonuses and the enchantments are limited to these effects, so I’m happy with it.