PDA

View Full Version : Multiclass Help (Lore Bard 18, Grave Cleric 2)

GreyPhoenix
2018-05-30, 09:23 PM
Hello!

Hopefully I'm posting to the right area. I'm a new D&D player looking for some tips on character development.

Following my research, I've learned that Lore Bard/Life Cleric make for an amazing support combination. Although this was my original plan, I'm leaning more towards the Grave Domain for RP purposes as most of my party members are playing with a darker tone to their characters. During the previous session, there was a lot of mockery based towards my character, therefore, this is impacting his values a lot. I have not been able to find very much information on this multi-class, hence my purpose for seeking advice here.

Magical Secrets that I am looking at include: Healing Spirit (if I went life, I would choose Aura of Vitality. With the lack of bonus healing from Grave, I assume HS will be better?), Revivify, and Counterspell. I'm still debating on the others, but would prefer to choose spells that allow me the greatest RP flare, while upholding the best possible role as support.

I would also appreciate any advice regarding the feats I should be choosing.

The party composition is: Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Rogue, and Warlock. My role for the party will be the primary support. I would like to focus on buffs/debuffs/heals. It is important to note that I will be the only character with a focus on each of these roles. I have read that in 5e, in combat healing isn't as necessary, so I would look to focus on buffs/debuffs during combat, raising people from 0hp/stabilizing them, and topping everyone off between fights.

Thanks!

Xihirli
2018-05-30, 09:47 PM
Well Grave is good for raising people from 0.

Path to the Grave is a pretty good debuff, especially if you Ready an Action to curse a creature right before a good nova hit (Sneak Attack, Warlock nova strike).

It won't be as consistently useful as Life 1 / Lore X but the moments when it stands out will be really fun.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-05-30, 11:37 PM
Hello!

Hopefully I'm posting to the right area. I'm a new D&D player looking for some tips on character development.

Following my research, I've learned that Lore Bard/Life Cleric make for an amazing support combination. Although this was my original plan, I'm leaning more towards the Grave Domain for RP purposes as most of my party members are playing with a darker tone to their characters. During the previous session, there was a lot of mockery based towards my character, therefore, this is impacting his values a lot. I have not been able to find very much information on this multi-class, hence my purpose for seeking advice here.

Magical Secrets that I am looking at include: Healing Spirit (if I went life, I would choose Aura of Vitality. With the lack of bonus healing from Grave, I assume HS will be better?), Revivify, and Counterspell. I'm still debating on the others, but would prefer to choose spells that allow me the greatest RP flare, while upholding the best possible role as support.

I would also appreciate any advice regarding the feats I should be choosing.

The party composition is: Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Rogue, and Warlock. My role for the party will be the primary support. I would like to focus on buffs/debuffs/heals. It is important to note that I will be the only character with a focus on each of these roles. I have read that in 5e, in combat healing isn't as necessary, so I would look to focus on buffs/debuffs during combat, raising people from 0hp/stabilizing them, and topping everyone off between fights.

Thanks!

Lore Bards rock.

Far as combat healing goes, Healing Word is the best in my opinion. Its a bonus action and its ranged so you can heal someone who is down to 0hp from across the room while in melee with a bad guy AND still have an Action to cast a Cantrip or Attack.

Clerics get more powerful heals and get some neat bonuses with them also. Those can be useful when multiple party members need healed or the party can't short rest or are out of hit die.

If you don't multi-class your Bard can keep up with the other two casters. The Cleric levels will slow down the spell progression but give you some healing bonuses. Read up on those and how multi-class proficiencies wok.

Vessyra
2018-05-31, 12:23 AM
Bane is a nice debuff that bards and clerics can learn, while bless is a great buff that clerics know. They're both concentration, however, so they don't stack. Faerie fire is also a great support spell, but it's concentration to. Cleric of the grave is quite good at support, so you needn't worry about taking it over life domain. With regards to feats...
First, buffing charisma up to 20 would be good so that you can inspire your party members a lot, and so that they fail their saves against debuffs. After that, you could either spend your ability score increases on other stats or, if you want to continue with the support, take the inspiring leader feat.