PDA

View Full Version : New Tricks #2

Yan Korlat
2018-05-31, 12:41 AM
This is the second in a series of optimization tricks that I have discovered.

First one:

Anyway, we have all seen the Starmantle/Evasion argument: to summarize, the reason why this does not allow you to make a reflex save and be immune to all weapons is because the thing that is offering you a save is not an attack, it is starmantle. I beiliece that this is technically valid, so here is my work-around:

Ring of evasion does not actually give you the evasion feature:

This ring continually grants the wearer the ability to avoid damage as if she had evasion. Whenever she makes a Reflex saving throw to determine whether she takes half damage, a successful save results in no damage.

Therefore, RoE clearly works with Starmantle, as I am making a saving throw. Use maneuvers to get Concentration checks, and avoid critical fails, and have fun!

Silva Stormrage
2018-05-31, 12:52 AM
This is the second in a series of optimization tricks that I have discovered.

First one:

Anyway, we have all seen the Starmantle/Evasion argument: to summarize, the reason why this does not allow you to make a reflex save and be immune to all weapons is because the thing that is offering you a save is not an attack, it is starmantle. I beiliece that this is technically valid, so here is my work-around:

Ring of evasion does not actually give you the evasion feature:

Therefore, RoE clearly works with Starmantle, as I am making a saving throw. Use maneuvers to get Concentration checks, and avoid critical fails, and have fun!

I would be quite shocked if any DM actually let this pass. The ability clearly states it functions as if the character had the evasion class feature. They just didn't want to waste space by copy and pasting the text for evasion again. It's in the ring's title and the text specifically states it functions "As if they had evasion".

Also the reason given for why evasion does not work with Starmantle cloak is usually not because it's not an "Attack" but rather because of this line in the evasion class feature, "an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save"

Emphasis added. Since a melee attack normally does not allow a save, evasion can't trigger on it even when you have a starmantle cloak.