PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Test of leadership/persuasion in a competition

Vessyra
2018-05-31, 01:04 AM
Currently, the party paladin is competing in a tournament. The winner will become the next archpriest of the paladin's religion, as the current archpriest is dying. There are several competitions in the tournament, three of of which are the test of strength, the test of hardiness and the test of drinking. However, for the final test I'm planning to do either a test of leadership of a test of persuasive ability. Any ideas on how I could do a test like that?

Nifft
2018-05-31, 01:15 AM
Debate contest.

Beauty contest.

Popularity contest (i.e. an election).

Xihirli
2018-05-31, 01:49 AM
Chess is a game of tactics.

What sort of leadership would this be?

Unoriginal
2018-05-31, 02:26 AM
A game of leadership could be a melee between two teams, or a game of "capture the flag"/"King of the Hill", except the candidates for the title don't participate, they just direct the teams.

Heck, you could even have each team goes through a non-lethal dungeon, with the candidates outise giving them instructions.

The one who win is the one who manages to make their team do as they say, and whose team deliver the best performance thanks to that.

Vessyra
2018-06-02, 11:49 PM
I definitely like the non-lethal dungeon idea, I'll use that. One thing that I forgot to mention is that since this is an archpriest tournament, divine intervention allow for nearly anything, and resurrection magics will allow for the dungeons to be fairly temporarily-lethal. The game's on tomorrow, I probably won't have time for more than one or two more suggestions. Thank for all of your help!

Ixidor92
2018-06-03, 10:52 AM
So without more context to go on, the question that needs to be answered is as follows: What is the clergy looking for in a leader? Obviously things such as quick-thinking, bravery, charisma, and tactics are all important. But since finding someone who excels in every single desirable trait is unlikely, what do they prioritize? And once you've nailed down that question, how do they go about finding that trait?

I would probably give each contestant a small group of summoned creatures, not particularly powerful ones, and give them a series of tasks to accomplish with these creatures. At one or two points, the leader should be forced to make a difficult decision that showcases their character as a leader. As an example: what if there was a location you needed to reach as fast as possible with your group, but there is a series of warding glyphs in the way. Does the leader try to dispel these, have their army move slowly around them, or do they sacrifice a few members by charging in and triggering them before letting the rest of their forces much through unopposed?