PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Artificer's Infusions & Material Components.

Kerilstrasz
2018-05-31, 09:58 AM
I'm rolling an artificer for the 1st time, and i have a few questions.

1) When an Artificer "casts" an infusion that is an actual spell (see: Light, Identify, etc), does he need to provide material components?
2) Can he choose whether to "cast" them with material components or divine focus?
3) If an infusion (like "Identify") explicitly states that the Material Components are "Arcane Material Components",
does he still needs to provide them?

Please be as specific and RAW as possible & provide Sources & page to back up your answer.
My DM is going to ask for them from me.

darkbuu_1
2018-05-31, 10:43 AM
An artificer never requires a divine focus to imbue an item with an infusion. In cases where an infusion duplicates a spell that requires either a material component or a divine focus, or requires either an arcane focus or a divine focus, the artificer uses the arcane material component or arcane focus.

This from the last paragraph of the artificer's infusions class feature.

1) yes
2) no
3) yes

Hope this helps.

Edit: unfortunately I'm away from books atm so this is as specific as I can be right now.

Telonius
2018-05-31, 10:53 AM
I'm rolling an artificer for the 1st time, and i have a few questions.

1) When an Artificer "casts" an infusion that is an actual spell (see: Light, Identify, etc), does he need to provide material components?
2) Can he choose whether to "cast" them with material components or divine focus?
3) If an infusion (like "Identify") explicitly states that the Material Components are "Arcane Material Components",
does he still needs to provide them?

Please be as specific and RAW as possible & provide Sources & page to back up your answer.
My DM is going to ask for them from me.

1. From Eberron Campaign Setting p. 31:

They function just like spells and follow all the rules for spells.

Light is on the Artificer's infusion list, but isn't modified in by anything in Eberron Campaign Setting, so you'd default to the regular wording of the spell. The description of the spell says it has a material component or divine focus; so if the Artificer is casting the infusion, it has a material component or divine focus.

2. The errata (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/errata) text changed the book's wording:

"An artificer never requires a divine focus to imbue an item with an infusion. In cases where an infusion duplicates a spell that requires either a material component or a divine focus, or requires either an arcane focus or a divine focus, the artificer uses the arcane material component or arcane focus."

3. For Identify, the descriptor is M/DF. You'd need the material component (at 100gp as listed). If you're going to be doing that frequently, I'd suggest an Artificer's Monocle if Magic Item Compendium is available (p. 72). It will take care of most of your item-identification needs, and pays for itself pretty quickly (750gp if you make it yourself).

EDIT: Updated per errata.

Kerilstrasz
2018-06-01, 11:39 AM
Thank you :)

Lock the Thread!

Kelb_Panthera
2018-06-01, 09:49 PM
For future reference, there's a "simple questions" thread for each of 3.5 and pathfinder stickied at the top of the subforum. This is exactly the kind of question for the 3.5 one.