PDA

View Full Version : Durnholm Is Dying [IC]

JNAProductions
2018-05-31, 10:38 AM
Credits roll. The movie ends. You share your opinions-maybe you liked it, maybe you didn't. It doesn't really matter. You take the back alley to your cars-you parked a bit of a ways away, to save on parking money. But, as you walk through the alley...

You wake up. You're not sure how much time has passed. You feel oddly fine-picking yourself up from where you fell, there aren't any bruises or bumps or anything at all. Some of you fumble with your phones-calling someone might be a good idea, but your phones are all dead, somehow. As you try to figure out what's going on, you realize you're hearing sirens and squealing tires, and have been ever since you woke up.

Before you have time to figure out what it means, the alley in front of you is suddenly filled with blaring lights from police cars. "DPD! Hands above your heads and no sudden movements!" one of the officers shouts as they get out of their cars, guns trained on you. And, scarily, their fingers are right on the triggers-they're ready to shoot. As you try to react to this development, you hear brakes behind you, from where the theater was, and the sound of more people getting out of their cars.

"Walk away. Now," a cool, chilling male voice comes from behind.

"Like hell we will!" one of the cops answers. "Hands up-all of you!" he yells, though you can hear the faint hint of fear in his voice.

You can see, out of the corner of your eyes, the people behind you. All rough-and-tough looking, most with tattoos. All of them holding guns much larger than the peashooters the cops have. And one of them speaks again, saying "You three-come with us and it will be fine. Go with them... And your lives are over."

What the hell do you do?

Link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?560249-Durnholm-Is-Dying-OOC&p=23114636#post23114636).

Illven
2018-05-31, 09:02 PM
Hazel will try to judge the three rough and tough looking men, peering deep into their eyes.

Insight [roll0]

JNAProductions
2018-05-31, 09:09 PM
There are more than three. Something like seven.

They're hard-bitten. Probably criminals, if you had to hazard a guess. But... They're under control. The man in the middle, the one who spoke... He's their boss. Their master. Their leader. And he is radiating confidence. The oddest bit is that he also seems perfectly sincere. Not just telling the truth-the whole truth.

Illven
2018-05-31, 09:24 PM
I think we should probably go with them. I mean they aren't threatening us. Hazel remarks gesturing over her shoulder.

spinningdice
2018-06-01, 04:38 AM
Lily looks Hazel in the eye for a split second, then nods. She may not trust these men, but she trusted her friends judgement. And she'd had enough trouble with cops over the years to not trust them on the whole.

bc56
2018-06-03, 04:13 PM
Peter doesn't like the look of either group, but the police are not as well armed. "Yeah, let's go." He backs slowly away from the police.

JNAProductions
2018-06-03, 07:54 PM
The police shout, but the man behind you says, firmly, "Excellent choice."

As one of the police members comes forward, a thundering BOOM comes from one of the other group's shotguns. A blast of red brick comes out from the wall of the alley just above the cop's head. The formerly brave police member ducks back.

The well-dressed man who's been talking opens the door to a sleek, large black car. You file in, and he takes shotgun. It drives off, as you see the police backing away.

One of the cops in the back is quietly radioing for assistance.

As you're driven, the man in front speaks. "My name is Robert Kintober. You probably haven't heard my name before-but rest assured, you'll start seeing it everywhere. Are you all alright? Do you need anything, for the moment?"

bc56
2018-06-03, 08:20 PM
"Yes, there's a lot I need. I need to know WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE AND WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?" Just because Peter voted for this doesn't mean he likes it. He prefers to be informed.

JNAProductions
2018-06-03, 08:29 PM
"As good a question as any. You're aware Durnholm has an underbelly, I'd imagine, though I know you haven't had much interaction with it," he replies. "Put simply, that is my domain. I rule the criminal side of this city. And as such, I am significantly better-informed than the average person. For instance-you've probably yet to notice, but look in the mirror. Notice the red tint to your skin, the wavering of your hair, the way everything feels colder? That is because you have been... Empowered, I suppose, is a good term for it. You aren't the first people to have this happen-but the first ones, in Beijing, turned out rotten. They were violent, uncontrolled... And as such, the Chinese government dealt with them. Other nations found out, and fearing the same, looked out for themselves. Now, Durnholm is a kinder place-you likely would've lived. A gilded cage is still a cage, though."

bc56
2018-06-03, 08:56 PM
Peter thinks about that for a while. He tries to catch a glimpse of his reflection in the rearview mirror. Sure enough, his hair is lighter than it used to be, and it does appear wavier. His skin has a reddish tint as well. He surveys the other two quickly for similar changes.

Illven
2018-06-03, 09:48 PM
****. Hazel swears immediately.

Then again. She starts posing for herself in the mirror. I make it work.... She trills

So wait, what's my superpower! What can I do!? Hazel remarks.

JNAProductions
2018-06-03, 10:09 PM
"Judging by my people's research..." Robert says, "you should have some amount of casting power. You too, Peter. Lily... Well, not much magic there, but I could probably shoot you, hurl you from a cliff, and set you on fire, and you'd just come out angry."

Illven
2018-06-03, 10:44 PM
Ohhh. I'm like a wizard? What can I cast!? Hazel asks eagerly.

JNAProductions
2018-06-03, 10:57 PM
"To answer that," Robert says, "You'll have to talk to Gard. David-pull over here. Gard is waiting for us within."

David does just that, pulling the car over on the side of the street. You're in the middle of a bunch of warehouses, in a mostly empty part of Durnholm.

Make a DC 16 Wisdom save to look within the spoiler below.

Your eyes try to slide past one of the warehouses. It's not invisible, it's just... Your eyes have trouble focusing on it. Like it's barely even there. It's hidden in plain sight.

Illven
2018-06-03, 11:27 PM
The **** is that? Hazel remarks having to force herself to look at one of the buildings.

spinningdice
2018-06-04, 07:10 AM
Lily rubs her jaw, "Thought I felt different... It's not that I'm not grateful, but what's your interest? Given your self-professed background I'm guessing you're not forming the Avengers." Lily hesitates after speaking, her voice was a little deeper, her mouth felt a little more toothy. Though the tooth she broke as a teenager seemed to have grown back, so there's an up side to that.

JNAProductions
2018-06-04, 08:53 AM
"That," Robert says, responding to Hazel, "is a hidden location. Guarded by an inattentive barrier. I shouldn't be surprised you noticed it, though. Come in."

He starts to lead you to a building, that up till now only Hazel has noticed. It's difficult to focus on it even when it's right next to you, but once you enter the feeling goes away. Inside, you see a bunch of crates stacked up, but just beyond the crates are a few pieces of furniture, with a tall woman sitting on one of the chairs. She is polishing a positively enormous battleaxe. "As for your question, Lily, I'm gathering you because you have valuable talents, and I'd hate to see them go to waste rotting in a government complex. I understand you all have bills-college loans, apartment rent, utilities, grocery... I can make all of that a non-issue. I won't even ask you to do anything against what you'd consider your morals-I have competitors here in the underworld, who are quite despicable. I doubt you'd lose any sleep stopping them. Moreover, I can use personal protection-I won't be the only one gathering the empowered individuals, and I could use a measure of safety. Of course, this is all dependent on your choices. I won't force you to say yes."

The woman on the chair snorts. "You act like they have any other choice."

"Gard, be polite. And if they choose to simply go home from this, I'll have one of my men drop them off wherever they like. It will, of course, be only a matter of time before the government collects you, but that is your choice."

spinningdice
2018-06-04, 09:09 AM
Lily

Lily eyes the woman, for some reason the battleaxe gave her more pause than the guns did. However resilient Mr. Kintober seemed to think she was, it wasn't something she wanted to put the test yet.

After a moment's thought she shrugs, "Guess, I'd rather be a guard dog than a lab-rat. Least for now."

bc56
2018-06-04, 09:57 AM
Peter is surprised by the battleaxe. It seems out of place after everything he's just seen. "You keep saying we're empowered, like superheroes. How do we use our powers?" He likes the idea of being a superhero, it's much better than being a college student.

JNAProductions
2018-06-04, 10:01 AM
"You'll need a book," Gard answers. "I have one, though I'll imagine you'll need help understanding it at first," she adds rummaging through a backpack and pulling out an old, leather-bound tome. She tosses it to Peter. He catches it, even with the slight surprise, and looks inside.

It appears to be written entirely in... Runes? Hieroglyphics? Something he doesn't QUITE understand, but it almost makes sense.

Spell book get!

Illven
2018-06-04, 10:51 AM
Does it pay better then stripping? Hazel asked raising her eyebrow.

JNAProductions
2018-06-04, 10:52 AM
"Much better," Robert replies. "I won't give an exact figure without talking to my accountants, but how does paying for all your bills and at least a $1,000 stipend each month sound?"

Illven
2018-06-04, 10:59 AM
Oh huh. That does sound good. Hazel agrees.

bc56
2018-06-04, 11:19 AM
Peter flips through the book, engrossed. "That must be a hand gesture, and that's something like a shield with tick marks around it, it shows up on a lot of these pages," he mumbles under his breath, then he speaks more clearly. "Thank you."

JNAProductions
2018-06-04, 02:25 PM
"Test your abilities out. We have some store mannequins around these crates-see what you can do," Robert says. "Gard will watch and make sure no one gets hurt."

spinningdice
2018-06-06, 02:54 PM
Lily pops open a crate and pulls out a few mannequins, "I feel a few punchbags might have been better, these ain't gonna be hard to knock down. - Hazel, you want me to hold it up while you go to town?"

Illven
2018-06-06, 04:15 PM
Sure, but I think I need a weapon, unless we're going full fisticuffs. Hazel remarks.

JNAProductions
2018-06-06, 08:32 PM
"I can acquire punching bags if you want," Robert says. "For now, though, these will have to do. As for weapons... Gard."

Gard heads to a cabinet, and opens it, revealing an astonishing collection of swords and axes, bows and mauls, maces and flails, all in pristine condition.

Illven
2018-06-06, 09:19 PM
I'm gonna dual wield maces! Hazel announces pulling out her can of mace and she reaches for one of the maces.

JNAProductions
2018-06-06, 09:30 PM
Robert chuckles, while Gard sighs heavily. "Be careful with the weapon," she says. "It's over two thousand years old."

Illven
2018-06-06, 09:51 PM
Robert chuckles, while Gard sighs heavily. "Be careful with the weapon," she says. "It's over two thousand years old."

I am a master of careful! Hazel remarks.

spinningdice
2018-06-07, 06:24 AM
Lily

Lily raises an eyebrow at the weapons cabinet, He's really taking this whole thing to the next level huh. Her attention switches to Hazel as she puns and she lets her eyes roam over the girl, first time she'd looked at her properly since the cinema, "Well damn, you lucked out on the spontaneous mutation lottery - you're even hotter than you already were. Think I just got broader and darker", she shoots her friend a playful grin. "So you want me to brace this dummy or do you want to take a few swings first, see how far you can bat it?"

bc56
2018-06-07, 10:41 PM
"Eva... Evagantem?" Peter finishes an incantation and a translucent blue hand appears just beyond his own. He moves his fingers slightly, and the hand mirrors the movement. "Woah!"

Illven
2018-06-08, 01:56 AM
Broader and darker so more attractive? Hazel remarks with a wink.

spinningdice
2018-06-08, 04:44 AM
Lily
Lily shoots Hazel a grin back and walks over to pick up the biggest weapon in the cabinet, a hefty axe, l Probably impractical but I feel some power in my body today... she walks back to the dummy and takes an overhead swing, reasoning that downwards force is less likely to send it flying.

JNAProductions
2018-06-08, 11:52 AM
"Eva... Evagantem?" Peter finishes an incantation and a translucent blue hand appears just beyond his own. He moves his fingers slightly, and the hand mirrors the movement. "Woah!"

"Excellent," Gard says. "And that is the least of what you should be able to do."

Lily
Lily shoots Hazel a grin back and walks over to pick up the biggest weapon in the cabinet, a hefty axe, l Probably impractical but I feel some power in my body today... she walks back to the dummy and takes an overhead swing, reasoning that downwards force is less likely to send it flying.

The mannequin is cleaved in two down to the peg holding it up, falling in two pieces to either side.

spinningdice
2018-06-09, 05:18 PM
Lily looks a little dumbfounded for a moment, then grins. "Well, that's something" shifting the axe to just her off hand with surprising ease, she pulls back and punches another manniquin, watching it crumple briefly before flying across the room, she felt a surge somewhere behind her eyes, like a reservior of power she could tap into... not yet

"Well, this is fun an' all, but unless someone wants to spar it's a bit of a one-sided test."

Illven
2018-06-09, 06:17 PM
They don't even react to my mace! Hazel said sadly.

bc56
2018-06-09, 10:23 PM
Peter looks at Lily. "Give me a few minutes to figure more of this out, and I'd be willing to give it a shot."

JNAProductions
2018-06-10, 10:39 AM
Robert nods. "Rest assured, you'll have a chance to fight for real before too long. Just hopefully not too soon."

Time skip past the practicing, maybe?

Illven
2018-06-10, 11:07 AM
Sure. I'm good with that.

spinningdice
2018-06-11, 05:07 AM
Lily spends some time practicing, trying out different weapons and pushing her newfound strength. It strikes her as a little odd that she almost instinctively knows the best way to use each weapon she picks up, the slight differences in ways you swing a sword or an axe or a mace. Almost like a decade of experience had been planted into her subconscious.

Happy to move on

JNAProductions
2018-06-11, 10:20 AM
As you practice, you see someone else arrive. A woman in a business suit, who brings along quite a few papers and calculators. When this person arrives, Gard takes her leave, leaving just you three, Robert, and the accountant (presumably).

Near when you're finishing up, you hear the sound of glass breaking, and the faint hiss of burning. Looking over, you see a pipe bomb, rolling towards you five.

spinningdice
2018-06-11, 11:24 AM
Lily doesn't hesitate, dashing towards the bomb and attempting to kick/bat it out of the way, hoping that if it does explode, her newfound ability 'be shot, thrown off a cliff and/or set fire to' will keep her breathing.

If any sort of attack roll or anything is required [roll0] (melee attack - feel free to sub in any other bonuses if another roll is required.

bc56
2018-06-11, 11:29 AM
Peter turns, throwing himself away from the explosive. "Bomb! Get down!"

taking the dodge action for advantage on any necessary dex saves.

JNAProductions
2018-06-11, 11:37 AM
Robert and the woman dive behind some crates.

Lily turns and whips her foot at the bomb. However, she just barely misses, and is right on top when the bomb explodes.

The bombs explodes.

Everyone, make a DC 13 Dex save, or take [roll0] damage on a fail, half on a success.

[roll1]+3 for Robert
[roll2] for the Accountant

bc56
2018-06-12, 09:16 PM
Peter dusts himself off. "Is everyone alright?"

Illven
2018-06-12, 09:18 PM
Hazel's dex save.

[roll0]

Remember to add +5 to your saves everyone.

JNAProductions
2018-06-12, 09:24 PM
Everyone is injured, but no one seems dead. Robert calls out, quietly "Find who's doing this-now!"

bc56
2018-06-12, 09:58 PM
Peter looks for where the bomb came from. While he does so, he waves a hand over his clothes, and sleek black armor of shadows appears on his body. A barely visible field of energy shimmers into existence around him. casting Mage Armor, which activates my Arcane Ward.

JNAProductions
2018-06-13, 11:12 AM
There's a broken window where it came from, as well as heavy thuds coming from the main door.

spinningdice
2018-06-14, 05:37 AM
Lily

Lily picks up the Axe she first chose and marvels at how little having a pipe bomb explode beneath her actually hurt. [i]Guess I am as tough as he said...[i]. She walks towards the door with the banging, careful not to stand directly in front of it, she'd seen enough movies to remember that was a bad idea.

JNAProductions
2018-06-14, 08:13 AM
The door breaks down as you see two burly men holding a battering ram. Behind them are three men with pistols, aimed past the door now.

Roll initiative.

Battering Ram buddies: [roll0]
Pistoliers [roll1]

Illven
2018-06-14, 11:10 AM
Hazel's init [roll0]

JNAProductions
2018-06-14, 09:17 PM
Pistol Peeps
You guys
Rammers

Each man with a pistol aims a cool, steady shot at one of the each of you.

Lily [roll0]
[roll1]

Hazel [roll2]
[roll3]

Peter [roll4]
[roll5]

And, upon seeing the gunshots do little more than make you mad, duck back around the corner.

"What the ****?" one of them can be heard from behind the wall. "How are they just... Fine?!"

bc56
2018-06-14, 09:32 PM
Peter looks at the attackers and grins. The bullet barely seemed to hurt him. He pulls back his hand and throws a bubble of iridescent green fluid at the pistoliers, splashing it so it hits two of them.
casting acid splash so it hits two pistoliers.
Each must make a DC 17 Dex save or take [roll0] acid damage.

JNAProductions
2018-06-14, 10:27 PM
The Pistol chumps ducked back behind the door, and are out of Line of Sight/Effect.

However, the rammers are perfectly visible. Assuming you don't want to move through the door, I'll have it target the rammers.

Saves:

[roll0]
[roll1]

The acid spits and burns, and they yelp in pain, dropping the battering ram.

spinningdice
2018-06-15, 11:32 AM
Lily

Whatever qualms she felt about hurting these men died as they opened fire indiscrimiately, Lily felt the storm building in her body and rushes forwards as she lets it release, her body crackling with lightning as she swings her axe at the agressors.

Move up to the men in the doorway, I'm guessing the rammers are blocking the way to the to pistollers. If 40ft move isn't enough to reach them then will double move and not attack.
Activate Rage as bonus action - Blast one of the pistollers with lightning from Sea Aura for [roll0] (1/2 on DC 16 Dex Save)
Attack [roll1] Dmg [roll2] Extra Attack [roll3] dmg [roll4] Extra dice in case of crit [roll5]

JNAProductions
2018-06-15, 11:36 AM
Lily's bolt of lightning zaps one of the rammers into unconsciousness, while her second blow cleaves into the other, knocking him down to the ground.

Having closed the distance earlier, with the bomb, she's able to step out and slash into one of the pistol-wielding men, taking him out too.

You can choose whether they're dead or KOed.

Illven
2018-06-15, 12:52 PM
Hazel for her part jumps out into the doorway, faux wings popping out of her back as she did so.

Hazel poses her finger stretched out before one of the pistolers, before she brought that hand to her lips, blowing them a kiss as a pink heart flew through the air.

I suggest that you sit down awed by my beauty, and answer any questions that I might have for you. Hazel casts.

Suggestion DC 17 Wis save.

JNAProductions
2018-06-15, 12:55 PM
[roll0]

Saving throw!

The man shakes his head, throwing off the mental hold. "God, what the hell are these people?"

"**** this, I'm out!" the other says, and starts running. His companion is right behind him.

Dashing 60' away. Anyone adjacent can make an AoO, so basically all but Peter.

Illven
2018-06-15, 01:42 PM
Hazel for her part immediately clings to the man attempting to flee her. Her legs intertwine with his, as her arms lock his shoulders, her breasts pressing into his back.

Athletics [roll0]

Listen. She purrs. I really know how to deal with men grabbing the wrong thing.

JNAProductions
2018-06-15, 01:43 PM
[roll0]

With that 11, he's got better than even odds of escaping.

Edit: But he did not!

spinningdice
2018-06-15, 02:54 PM
Lily

Seeing Hazel wrap herself around one, Lily swings for the other one.

Will knock out if possible, but she's not being too careful
[roll0] [roll1]

JNAProductions
2018-06-15, 09:12 PM
The remaining goon manages to get away.

He's 60' away, and next round will be around the corner.

What will you do?

bc56
2018-06-15, 09:23 PM
Peter makes a complex gesture, one he's been practicing a while, and recites falteringly a short incantation. A ring of flame appears around the good, hemming him in. "Hah! He fell right into my trap!"
casting Wall of Fire as a circle around the goon, 10ft in diameter. Save DC is 17.

JNAProductions
2018-06-17, 09:36 AM
The man, seeing the sudden ring of flames, stops dead. You can hear him praying and cussing inside, an odd mixture.

spinningdice
2018-06-17, 04:36 PM
Lily

"So, are you ready to surrender, we need some questions answering." Lily leans against the (physical) wall near the burning pillar.

JNAProductions
2018-06-17, 11:02 PM
"God, yes! Just... Stop!" he says, and you can hear the sound of a gun clattering onto the ground.

Illven
2018-06-18, 12:22 AM
And you? Hazel asks her grappled beau.

spinningdice
2018-06-18, 05:29 AM
Lily looks at her hand as the streaks of electrical energy start to fade along with the adrenaline running her system. Well, that's interesting.... Leaving Peter to handle the ring of fire, she checks the downed men for signs of life (and ID), and hoists them into the other room, giving Robert/Gard a querying look as she does so.

bc56
2018-06-18, 07:22 AM
Peter dismisses the wall of flame. It had come surprisingly easy to him. He drags the shocked man back into the building.

If I need to make any checks, let me know.

JNAProductions
2018-06-18, 10:18 AM
And you? Hazel asks her grappled beau.

The man Hazel is holding is doing his damnedest to be quiet, hoping against hope Hazel will simply forget about him.

After a few minutes pass, your assailants are all in the warehouse. The unconscious ones are dumped unceremoniously on the ground, while the wakeful ones are put on their knees in front of Robert.

Illven
2018-06-18, 10:53 AM
Speak. Hazel replies.

Oooo.. Can we get a cop uniform in here? Hazel asks hopefully.

JNAProductions
2018-06-18, 11:14 AM
Robert looks to Hazel, saying nothing. But his expression is clear-she is to be serious in the presence of the enemy.

The two goons, however, don't really seem to take notice. "What do you want to know?"

"Who sent you?" Robert asks.

They look to each other, and one starts talking. "Richard Ford."

Choose Passive or Active Insight BEFORE opening the tabs.

Truth.

Truth.

Truth.

Truth.

Truth.

Truth.

Truth.

spinningdice
2018-06-18, 11:24 AM
Lily

Lily has a quick look around to see if anyone else is snooping around before she comes back, quickly affecting a bored demeanor, while paying keen attention to the men.

Active Insight [roll0]

JNAProductions
2018-06-18, 11:25 AM
The nearest person is down the road, going perpendicular to the warehouse. The person walking doesn't seem to be paying any mind-probably an effect of whatever spell or enchantment is on the warehouse.

bc56
2018-06-18, 06:38 PM
Peter sits back and lets the other two do the talking. He's not sure whether he's be a good cop or a bad cop anyway.

Illven
2018-06-18, 09:44 PM
Was your job, assassination, distraction, something else? Hazel asks.

spinningdice
2018-06-19, 11:01 AM
Lily

Lily frowns when she notices the oblivious man, it troubles her that this squad broke through this mystical defence so easily and yet were so unprepared to actually fight them. She didn't pretend to know how this magic worked, so maybe she was just missing something... still it troubled her.

She returns to the others, noticing Peter sitting back she approaches and whispers quietly to him. "Do you notice anything odd, how did they get in here - isn't it supposed to be hidden from normal folk?"

JNAProductions
2018-06-19, 12:59 PM
Peter, feel free to make an Arcana check or something.

"We were sent to kill everyone in here. It's just our job, please!" he says.

bc56
2018-06-20, 01:54 PM
Peter peers carefully at the attackers, then realizes what he sees. "There's some sort of spell on them. It lets them see through the cloak on this building."

Illven
2018-06-20, 02:37 PM
Did your employer know about us? Hazel remarks.

JNAProductions
2018-06-20, 03:39 PM
"Yes? No? I don't know," he says, while the other man stays quiet. "Look, we were just sent to kill you-we didn't get much information."

Robert sighs, rubbing his forehead. "They don't anything useful."

bc56
2018-06-20, 09:04 PM
Peter uses magic to send Robert a short message, inaudible to anyone else. :We can't just kill them in cold blood. What should we do with them?: This is mainly to prevent the attackers from getting their hopes up.

JNAProductions
2018-06-20, 09:10 PM
Robert looks to Peter, and nods ever-so-slightly. "I'll be merciful. You're free to go-and take your companions with you. But-" he adds, "should you ever try anything against me again, you will die."

The men nod and start babbling their thanks, grabbing their compatriots and fleeing.

Robert takes a seat, and looks to his accountant, who is just now poking her head above the crates. "You okay, Madeline?"

"Yes sir. Although, if any of your people know how to heal... Wouldn't the weirdest thing I've seen, and would be appreciated."

Illven
2018-06-20, 10:09 PM
Oh I can do that! Hazel remarks running over and laying hands on the woman.

How injured is she?

JNAProductions
2018-06-20, 10:10 PM
6 Damage on the accountant, and looking at Robert, same on him.

Illven
2018-06-20, 10:14 PM
Hazel will heal both for 6 points of damage.

spinningdice
2018-06-28, 06:32 AM
Lily watches the invaders flee the building, following them as far as the main doors.
She returns and looks at Robert, "You must at least have your suspicious who sent them, or did you arrange this to let us test ourselves against live opponents, maybe even sending a message to your enemies at the same time..." Lily's tone is more amused than accusatory, after shrugging off bullets she felt kind of unstoppable.

JNAProductions
2018-06-28, 01:12 PM
"I have an idea, and one that I hope is wrong. Richard Ford is a former employee of mine-a small time operator who never had much brains," Robert says. "While I believe that he's the one that ordered them, I doubt he's the brains behind the operation. He's simply not bright enough for that, and more than stupid enough to be swayed by someone else to send people. But as for who the real person is... Tell me. What do you know about demons?"

There's no check in the world that will let you know accurate information that you know is accurate on demons in this world. But feel free to answer anyway!

bc56
2018-06-28, 01:26 PM
Peter confidently answers. "They're evil!" That is the sum of his knowledge of demons.

spinningdice
2018-06-28, 03:29 PM
"Well, that's ominous... Are we talking Tim Curry in Legend type demons? Or something else?"

Illven
2018-06-28, 11:21 PM
Oh creatures that originate outside this plane. Hazel lets out.

JNAProductions
2018-06-29, 10:01 AM
"Demons are beings that were trapped, long ago. Shamans of the ancient days knew that humans were on the verge of being wiped out by these powerful evils, so a select few that were supernaturally gifted were tasked with sealing the demons away. Many died, but they succeeded," Robert begins. "for the larger ones, at least. The stragglers were slowly sealed by the others, and eventually, nought but the most minor of demons were left free. However, as a consequence, people stopped being gifted. Oh, sure, throughout history there have been some reasonably credible reports of magic, but by and large people simply stopped being magical. It was theorized that the magical leakage from these demons were what caused people to have powers, and once they were sealed, the magic was no more. Also as a consequence, it meant the gods and other magical beings began to retreat from the world, or hide away-some wanted nothing to do with beings as weak as humans, others thought it was for the best for the humans, still others thought it was best for themselves."

"Some maintained... Well, not at first, but nowadays, offices, here in humanity. Gard... Well, not mine to tell, but suffice to say she's no human. Normally, her employer wouldn't let her out for so long, but he saw signs that demons were being freed. Whether the seals were simply breaking over time, or someone was trying to release them, he didn't know, but he allowed Gard to work with me for as long as it took to solve this, and an equivalent amount of time more, in payment," he continues.

"Now, on a related note, I'm sure you've heard that Durnholm is built over an ancient burial ground, and that's why the sewers are so spooky. That's myth, but based in fact. It was built over the seal of Culexus-one of the most insidious and deadly of the demons. I don't think it's escaped yet-we'd know. At least, I think we'd know. But it's possible it's waking up, and controlling others from within its seal."

spinningdice
2018-06-29, 04:10 PM
"Great, so in some way - whether directly or not, we're powered by demons. We manage to seal them away again - we lose our powers." Lily shrugs. "Suppose it's a small price to pay for saving the world huh?"

bc56
2018-06-29, 10:07 PM
"Yeah..." Inside, Peter's not sure he wants to give up his power.

Illven
2018-06-29, 11:38 PM
I think it means our descendants won't inherent. I think we might be stuck this way. Hazel remarks.

JNAProductions
2018-06-30, 11:38 AM
I think it means our descendants won't inherent. I think we might be stuck this way. Hazel remarks.

"Most likely. Obviously the history is a little murky, but if my research is right, your children won't have anything more than minor powers, and it will get weaker still as generations go on. But you'd still be empowered," Robert replies. "Right now, though, I'd imagine you need to get rest. While we can hope Richard's goons won't report your faces to back him, we can't be sure-your homes won't be safe. Here," he adds as he draws his wallet out, and takes out a few bills, all hundreds. "Find a hotel to stay out-get something nice to eat if you like too. Once Gard returns," and with that, the door opens, revealing Gard, "impeccably as always, I'll be on my way as well. Madeline, come with me-I'll drop you off somewhere safer."

"Yes sir," Madeline replies.

spinningdice
2018-06-30, 04:20 PM
"Well I don't own **** anyway. Though it'd be nice to see if my 'bike's still where I left it." she flashes a grin at Hazel and Richard. "Anyone fancy sharing a room - I was planning on couch-surfing anyway." she pokes around at the weapon's cabinet as she talks, as much as she'd like to take the axe with her, it was a bit on the large size to carry around the city.

JNAProductions
2018-06-30, 05:33 PM
"Well I don't own **** anyway. Though it'd be nice to see if my 'bike's still where I left it." she flashes a grin at Hazel and Richard. "Anyone fancy sharing a room - I was planning on couch-surfing anyway." she pokes around at the weapon's cabinet as she talks, as much as she'd like to take the axe with her, it was a bit on the large size to carry around the city.

There are any weapons you could conceivably want, from the PHB weapons tables.

Also equivalents-crowbars and whatnot.

Illven
2018-06-30, 10:46 PM
Hazel will for her part take a gun, and a sword.

Any armor? Hazel adds hopefully.

JNAProductions
2018-07-01, 10:58 AM
Gard shakes her head. "I can only bring so much here. I can acquire some for you, should you wish, though."

spinningdice
2018-07-01, 12:22 PM
Lily picks up a sword, it's still a little bulky but will not be quite so obvious. She'll also pick up a pistol, though she gets the feeling she could cause more damage just punching someone than with a gun.

bc56
2018-07-01, 12:23 PM
Peter takes no weapons, he feels he doesn't need such things.

Illven
2018-07-01, 12:40 PM
I think I would like some armor. Hazel considers looking down at her frame.

JNAProductions
2018-07-01, 01:01 PM
"Figure out what kind you want. For now, take Madeline's car and find a safe spot," Gard says.

Robert adds, to Madeline, "We'll make sure it gets returned."

Let's move ahead a little. Post some interim stuff about what you do in the car, figure out who's driving and whatnot, and where and what kind of hotel you're at.

Illven
2018-07-02, 12:44 AM
With Hazel's jack of all trades, she is clearly the best driver.