PDA

View Full Version : DM Help I am bored

denthor
2018-05-31, 10:49 AM
Please discuss

I am interested what types of "steeds" would you have a really good nature PC or a wacky NPC character ride.

If I was forced to run a paladin for example I would want a 5th level quest for my noble battle cow.

So I could moo along. This of course would make me humble since I would need to milk it . Wait a while and sell the calf.

How would the rest of you game world react. Town folk your PC if it was an NPC. Your gaming group

zlefin
2018-05-31, 11:45 AM
owlbears are always good for a laugh. ride one of those :)

PhantasyPen
2018-05-31, 11:49 AM
I think the wackiest paladin mount I ever tried to get was a Gargantuan wolf. (somehow this was not for the paladin that could actually talk to animals...)

fallensavior
2018-05-31, 11:49 AM
Warforged Titan.

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-31, 11:51 AM
...noble battle cow...
There is historical evidence that when the Mongols conquered their empire, not all of their mounts were horses. Most of the cavalry would have had first dibs on the best mounts, and maybe official messengers and a few others, but there were plenty of others who needed mounts besides the warriors. Since the military was using so many horses, these others had to make due. Some oxen and cattle could be saddled to carry a rider and were occasionally used as necessity required.

However, horses have always proved to be far superior to such mounts in battle. Camels and Elephants certainly both saw military use as well. But a combination of physique and temperament might make the battle cow a bit of a less valuable war steed.

Now Ostriches on the other hand... :smallbiggrin:

animewatcha
2018-05-31, 11:56 AM
Why not an appropriate alignment-variant multiclass paladin/druid version of the bear druid meme.

denthor
2018-05-31, 12:28 PM
I remember a Huge scorpion as a mount. I was pissed we got into a bidding war over a wish from Loki. My character was a follower of Himadall I wanted it destroyed. I lost the bid.

The guy that took used to get his scorpion back fom the dead.

Vizzerdrix
2018-05-31, 12:54 PM
Pigs, or a chocobo.

16bearswutIdo
2018-05-31, 01:45 PM
Please discuss

I am interested what types of "steeds" would you have a really good nature PC or a wacky NPC character ride.

If I was forced to run a paladin for example I would want a 5th level quest for my noble battle cow.

So I could moo along. This of course would make me humble since I would need to milk it . Wait a while and sell the calf.

How would the rest of you game world react. Town folk your PC if it was an NPC. Your gaming group

I'm currently playing a Halfling Druid 5/MoMF 2 named Cleet Able who has a Rhinocerous animal companion named Rocky. First session we played, a child in town was marveling at my Rhino. So Cleet jumped down, shapeshifted into an eagle, and said in his deep Southern drawl "CLIMB ON MAH BACK BOI."

No idea why his mother came screaming.

Calthropstu
2018-05-31, 01:46 PM
Hi bored, I'm Calthropstu.

Calthropstu
2018-05-31, 01:55 PM
The whackiest mount I have seen is a rhino with permanent airwalk being ridden by a dwarven druid.

Our gm decided it was so absurd and terrifying that the bandit camp we charged abandoned their posts and fled.

mabriss lethe
2018-05-31, 03:46 PM
The whackiest mount I have seen is a rhino with permanent airwalk being ridden by a dwarven druid.

Our gm decided it was so absurd and terrifying that the bandit camp we charged abandoned their posts and fled.

I'm going off on a tangent, but this reminds me of a story. My group was going after a dragon. Well, we fouled up pretty bad, lots of key characters took a boatload of ability damage from traps in the ruins the dragon made its home, so we hightailed it out of there.

Cue the chase scene as we're being chased down by a pretty large squad of half dragon/draconic henchmen, it's a narrow path through pretty heavy cover. So my warlock, with my current strength of 2 from taking boatloads of poison damage and deafened from I don't even remember what, decides to go for a heroic sacrifice to buy the rest of the party time to escape, I fouled up a roll and wound up falling into the underbrush by the roadside, instead. It was a feylock build and I'd taken a bunch of fey heritage feats, and somewhere along the line completely forgot that I'd bought Fey Legacy, granting me Summon Nature's Ally V. So I'm in a ditch, my party is about to be overrun by a column of mooks that could tear us apart in our current state, and suddenly I remember that I have this entire list of SLAs that I never bother to use. The LOOK my DM gave me was priceless when I said "OK. While they're gaining on us, I'm going to summon something with this SLA... (looks at table) So here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to summon a god-forsaken RHINO right here in the middle of the path, wait for them to round this blind corner, then have it charge the column."

Goaty14
2018-05-31, 03:56 PM
A salmon. Go on, I'd like to see you try riding it.

frogglesmash
2018-05-31, 04:30 PM

Large size salmon with air breathing, and human limbs grafted on. I don't care how you do it, so long as it gets done.

Elkad
2018-05-31, 05:08 PM
I had a 1e paladin with a horse-shaped shambling mound for a mount.

Calthropstu
2018-05-31, 06:00 PM
Large size salmon with air breathing, and human limbs grafted on. I don't care how you do it, so long as it gets done.

Wasn't this a thing in the slayers anime?

frogglesmash
2018-05-31, 06:03 PM
Wasn't this a thing in the slayers anime?

I have no idea what that is, but a quick Google search seems to show that you are correct.

gorfnab
2018-05-31, 06:20 PM
Halflings in Eberron ride dinosaurs. Halfling Paladins on Fleshraker mounts are scary.

denthor
2018-05-31, 11:02 PM

It only goes upstream

nintendoh
2018-06-01, 01:53 PM
One of my dms tried to do a sandbox style game. We had a lot of downtime. My dwarf artificer ended up in blood red leather armor on a sled with a horde of iron defenders pulling it. The lead one had light cast on it and he carried an handy haversack.

I was murdered in very short order.

Iron defenders suck.

Calthropstu
2018-06-01, 02:01 PM
One of my dms tried to do a sandbox style game. We had a lot of downtime. My dwarf artificer ended up in blood red leather armor on a sled with a horde of iron defenders pulling it. The lead one had light cast on it and he carried an handy haversack.

I was murdered in very short order.

Iron defenders suck.

Well yeah if you try to have them protect you, that isn't their specialty. You should have them protect an iron mine instead. Then they will be in their element.