PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Dark lore question + Knowledge question (Truenamer help)

Fynzmirs
2018-05-31, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure whether I should ask here or in homebrew section, so please forgive me if I did something wrong. Also, my English is bad and I'm working on it, so don't shout on me.

Would a feat that lets Archivist levels stack with levels in other class for the purpose of Dark Knowledge be unbalanced? I was thinking about homebrewing something similiar to Ascetic Mage feat, propably for Archivist and Truenamer levels. I want to play a Truenamer (yeah yeah they suck, I know, not what I ask about), specifically an all-knowing type. And at the same time I really love Dark Knowledge, while I want to avoid playing as an actual caster. So propably only 1-level Archivist dip.

Are there any non-homebrew ways to get Dark Knowledge (I doubt)? Would it be unbalanced to let something like that work? I have a rather open-minded GM, so as long as I don't come up with something straightforwardly stupid, I'm free to ask for some homebrew stuff.

Are there any other good ways of utilizing high Knowledge checks? I know about Knowledge Devotion and Urban Savant and they are both very nice, but is there something else?

And no, Paragnostic Apostle propably won't give me much. No, I don't want to use any of these popular Truenamer fixes. And yeah, I've read Zaq's guide (really, really thank you for writing that, Zaq!)

Venger
2018-05-31, 12:21 PM
so something that lets you pool truenamer/archivist levels for the purposes of dark knowledge, so you can go archivist 1/truenamer 19 and have full dark knowledge?

that doesn't seem too powerful as a feat. no, dark knowledge is only available on archivist.

Zaq
2018-05-31, 12:31 PM
I’m glad you’re getting use out of the guide!

The only Dark Knowledge ability that’s anything more than a small numerical bonus is Dread Secret, which is crazy powerful (no-save daze as a move action? That’s pretty wild even if you do have to be 11+ to use it). As long as your GM can handle Dread Secret (or if you nerf it somehow; just slapping on a saving throw would go a long way, I think), then I don’t see anything too OP about giving Truenamers the DK ability for a feat and/or for a feat and a dip.

High Knowledge checks are sometimes a benefit in and of themselves (never a bad idea to know what you’re doing, right?), but if you’re looking for other ways to use them and you’ve already got HoH open, you might see if you can be allowed to take Dreamtelling. It seems very useful.

Fynzmirs
2018-05-31, 01:02 PM
Zaq, I love you for this guide <3

I basically want to build a character who relies almost entirely on his Knowledge. Kind of a build challenge, actually. My 'rules' are:

- Get the most I can out of Knowledge checks

- Don't use any weapon other than a walking stick

- Utterances are pretty ok, Divination spells also (but Truenaming is a go-to)

I will be playing in low-op group where many players are novice, and I want this character to be more fluffy and funny than optimized. But yeah, I'm looking for some tricks to do something other than just collector-of-stories every monster I encounter.

I was thinking about bard based on oratory, but that's not nearly as masochistic as playing a truenamer. Maybe another theurge feat? :smallamused:

It's highly possible that my GM will allow party-wide Knowledge Devotion to give me some tools to play this weird suport character, but I'm looking for a more RAW options…

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-31, 01:15 PM
What do you think of the Paragnostic Apostle prestige class from Complete Champion? It is a knowledge-based class.

Fynzmirs
2018-05-31, 01:31 PM
I don't get how Paragnostic Apostle can help a non-caster. Lore is nice, but (based on interpretation) Loremaster gets it with his total character level as bonus.

Also, would a 1-dip into Dragonfire Adept for Draconic Knowledge Invocation (basically +6 on all Knowledge cheks) be a good idea?

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-31, 01:54 PM
I don't get how Paragnostic Apostle can help a non-caster. Lore is nice, but (based on interpretation) Loremaster gets it with his total character level as bonus.

Also, would a 1-dip into Dragonfire Adept for Draconic Knowledge Invocation (basically +6 on all Knowledge cheks) be a good idea?

The other one is for non-casters, sorry. Paragnostic Initiate.

Fynzmirs
2018-05-31, 02:08 PM
The other one is for non-casters, sorry. Paragnostic Initiate.

It's… It's pretty interesting.

I mean at first I saw "Base attack bonus +4" requirement and I thought "Yet another warrior-type class". But while it IS quite combat-oriented, I see some uses of it's powers… Just imagine an old grandpa with a walking stick who just needs to approach the enemy in order to let the party Wizard smash him… Would be very dangerous, though.