PDA

View Full Version : Console Legend of Zelda - It's dangerous to post alone! Read this!

PokéTriforce
2018-05-31, 12:51 PM
As you can tell, I'm a fan of...POKÉMON! I'm also a fan of...LAYTON...er, I mean ZELDA! I have used stuff from the Zelda games in my D&D (3.5 ed) campaigns. I just wanted to make sure there is (as I'm sure there are many, as it is) a place to discuss things Zelda. Has OotS used any Zelda references?

Seriously. I'd like to know!

Since I haven't played BotW, yet, I don't know as much about the game series as most of you. Still...I'm hoping this thread does well!

Spore
2018-05-31, 01:10 PM
Weirdly enough I enjoyed OoT and Majora's Mask but I haven't bought a Nintendo console (except the handhelds) in decades. I picked up Phantom Hourglass which certainly was the worst Zelda experience I had so far. But I am a bit of a snob in that regard. I find the original LoZ incredibly clunky. I understand it is some kind of prototype for a whole genre. But I just enjoyed SMB 1 or 3 on the NES more.

e: Maybe edit the title to reflect that you will talk about Zelda in here? It's dangerous to go alone might be a phrase from said franchise, but it is so famous it appears as an easteregg or reference in sooo many other games. It is a meme.

I'd say: "Legend of Zelda I - It's dangerous to talk alone, read this!"

PokéTriforce
2018-05-31, 09:05 PM
Weirdly enough I enjoyed OoT and Majora's Mask but I haven't bought a Nintendo console (except the handhelds) in decades. I picked up Phantom Hourglass which certainly was the worst Zelda experience I had so far. But I am a bit of a snob in that regard. I find the original LoZ incredibly clunky. I understand it is some kind of prototype for a whole genre. But I just enjoyed SMB 1 or 3 on the NES more.

e: Maybe edit the title to reflect that you will talk about Zelda in here? It's dangerous to go alone might be a phrase from said franchise, but it is so famous it appears as an easteregg or reference in sooo many other games. It is a meme.

I'd say: "Legend of Zelda I - It's dangerous to talk alone, read this!"

Done. I hope the title change makes this more appealing.

My favorites are Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, & Skyward Sword. I also like 4 Swords Adventures & Link Between Worlds. Other titles I've played include: Legend of Zelda, Adventures of Link, Link's Awakening (DX version), and Wind Waker. I've played a little of Triforce Heroes. I have the Wii-U version for Breath of the Wild. I just haven't played it, yet.

On June 18th, I'll be uploading (on my YouTube channel) a video I call "Gerudo Bu...I Mean Garlic Butter Popcorn" -- where I play some of the Gerudo Valley theme after shaking a container of sesame seeds.

:roach: Was that a shameless plug?
:roach: I'm not sure. There was no link to the channel.

Speaking of which...I'd like to start this thread by asking readers: What's your favorite Zelda song?

Spore
2018-05-31, 09:34 PM
Speaking of which...I'd like to start this thread by asking readers: What's your favorite Zelda song?

But I want to talk about Hyrule Warr...wait, my favorite songs ARE from Hyrule Warriors.

Dodongo Boss Battle, Eclipse of the World (Guitar) and Under Siege.

Kato
2018-06-01, 08:27 AM
Well, while my history with Zelda games is a bit patchy, I do consider myself a fan, also because I'm about as old as the series.
I grew up playing a lot of LttP and LA, but then nothing for a while. Sometime in between I played the first two games, the oracle ones, OoT, PH, MC.. About a year ago I had bought BotW and I was obsessed with it through the whole summer. I'm usually not into Open World games but this one basically blew me away somehow.
More recently I played TP and SS (the latter of which I enjoyed immensely more, somehow).
I tried / started MM like five times now but... I haven't managed to finish it yet. I don't quite know why.
I also haven't played LbW because of a lack of a 3ds, or WW (I know, I know, I'll get around to it some time..)
Also, I'll probably get Hyrule Warriors.. At some point.

I know there are a few I haven't mentioned, probably some I forgot.. But that's basically my Zelda history.

Algeh
2018-06-01, 02:01 PM
I grew up with the original Legend of Zelda. It was one of about 5-10 games I had for the NES (I eventually had all 3 Mario NES games, Bionic Commando (which was waaay too hard for me as a kid and I never got very far in), Bart Vs. the World, Final Fantasy, and probably a couple of other ones I'm forgetting), and it was definitely the one I played the most. It was one of the first ones I got, and I really enjoyed the size of the world to explore when I compared it to the other games I had. It doesn't seem that big by modern standards, but it was an amazing world size for a relatively open world graphical game at the time. (We also had an Atari 2600 and a Compaq portable, so I was comparing it against mostly the Sierra adventure games I was playing on the Compaq. Zelda had a lot less in the way of non-combat plot/complicated puzzles/talking to people/required item collection tasks, but a lot more space to wander around in and find "side" things in than the first King's Quest.)

I don't think I ever got around to beating all the dungeons, but I do remember meticulously lighting every last shrub on every screen on fire to find all of the secret rooms hidden that way in the overworld, and that sort of thing. (I didn't have the strategy guide.)

I missed the 2nd NES Zelda game, but I got A Link to the Past when I got an SNES and played it much the same way - mostly wandering around the overworld finding neat stuff, with vague attention paid to advancing the plot enough to access more areas to explore. It was probably the SNES game I played the second most (Breath of Fire was the one I played the very most - I even actually took the time to follow the plot and beat the game for that one, since you kind of had to to open up more areas to explore).

Then came the N64 and Ocarina of Time. It dumped me on some stupid railroad plot inside a tree with no place to wander, a little fairy yelling at me, and a bunch of annoying camera controls to learn. Bah. I spent about an hour on it, lost interest, and haven't actually picked up a Zelda game since. (I spent more of my N64 time playing "Hey You Pikachu", which came with the N64 I bought and was totally ridiculous in that "this is a terrible set of controls for a pretty bland set of tasks, but there are lots of dumb and strangely entertaining things you can make happen if you're not trying to win" way - it ran on voice commands and the tech for that was ...not quite there yet, and multiplayer Goldeneye or Mario Kart.)

If I pick up a Switch, I'll probably get Breath of the Wild, since it sounds like it should be my kind of thing as someone who basically plays games to wander around and explore. I haven't talked myself into buying a new video game system since the Wii, but maybe I'll get around to it this summer. I'm NOT a fan of 3-d games rather than sprite-based fixed perspective ones (to be fair, I may not have given them a fair shake since Ocarina of Time introduced me to the genre and exasperated me), so I haven't been bothering to buy newer consoles rather than just keep playing retro games instead for the most part.

Lord Raziere
2018-06-01, 02:15 PM
Eh. The Zelda games themselves don't really grab me all that much, since Link is silent and its all so obviously just there to be a game despite its fluff, the ones I remember the most vividly thus "favorite" are Majoras Mask and Wind Waker.

but really, the better parts of legend of zelda to me are the fan things surrounding it, and the music. like people come up with all sorts of funny stuff about the characters, while the music is the best part of the franchise for me. best song for me is song of storms.

the best Legend of Zelda thing I've ever read is the webcomic: A Tale of Two Rulers. and its so much better than canon for me, because Zelda and Ganondorf decide to wed in a political marriage to stop this endless cycle of violence, and Link is Zelda's daughter whose memories of previous lives haven't come back yet called Rinku. so its just the perfect set up for drama and explores the characters much better than canon ever will.

GloatingSwine
2018-06-01, 05:06 PM
But I want to talk about Hyrule Warr...wait, my favorite songs ARE from Hyrule Warriors.

Dodongo Boss Battle, Eclipse of the World (Guitar) and Under Siege.

Also Linkle's theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sgs_ZE0EQE).

(Someone get Platinum to make a Linkle game, ordinary Zelda can't withstand that much OP shenanigans)

Jama7301
2018-06-01, 05:53 PM
I have an alright feeling towards the Legend of Zelda games. I find them generally enjoyable, but none of them really crack my favorite games lists. A Link to the Past was alright, but really started to grate on me in the last... third? Ocarina of Time is alright. I enjoyed my time with Windwaker and Phantom Hourglass was ok. I really enjoy playing Hyrule Warriors, but I can't do it a lot, and I recently got a Link Between Worlds which feels like it's holding in the nice sweet spot that ALTTP couldn't hold. We'll see how that plays out though as I progress.

Yael
2018-06-02, 02:04 PM
I have always been a TLoZ fan, and I am sure I will always be.

I've played to completion almost every Zelda game except Crossbow Training, Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds (and the masterpieces the CDI games are), multiple times. I love the atmosphere, concept, worldbuilding, lore, enemies, stories and most charming concepts the Zelda games bring to the table.

I am eager to get a Switch this year and replay Breath of the Wild on it, as even if it wasn't my favorite Zelda game (that title still belongs to Majora's Mask), I still loved it a very lot~

By the way, who's excited for the next mainline Zelda game? Or some Spinoff?

Seerow
2018-06-02, 02:54 PM
I have always been a TLoZ fan, and I am sure I will always be.

I've played to completion almost every Zelda game except Crossbow Training, Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds (and the masterpieces the CDI games are), multiple times. I love the atmosphere, concept, worldbuilding, lore, enemies, stories and most charming concepts the Zelda games bring to the table.

I am eager to get a Switch this year and replay Breath of the Wild on it, as even if it wasn't my favorite Zelda game (that title still belongs to Majora's Mask), I still loved it a very lot~

By the way, who's excited for the next mainline Zelda game? Or some Spinoff?

Honestly, for all of the hate Skyward Sword gets, I recommend playing it through if you are a fan of the series. Or at least watching a let's play. While you typically don't play a Zelda game for the story, the Story in Skyward Sword was a strong point, even if mechanically it got... awkward at several points.

Spore
2018-06-02, 03:09 PM
Where does Skyward Sword's story improve over other Zeldas? Character building is finally a thing yes. But it hardly a Bioshock tbh.

As for an LP I can always recommend Chuggaconroy but his reactions can get ... insufferably fanboyish at times.

Kato
2018-06-03, 06:25 AM
I'll be honest, I don't play any zelda game for the story. Some have a decent one but I'm in it for the gameplay and such.
And while SS had some control issues, I still rank it rather highly. Or at least I have few complaints (OK... Considering it's focus on music I cared not much about that part, too)

So, not to start a controversy but... Can we agree the N64 games are not pretty? I mean, I know it's the limitations of the system and they did their best... (though it really applies to most N64 games) but as someone who didn't play them as a kid... Gosh, do they look unappealing. A few things they managed to turn nice enough, but overall I really prefer the sprites from the 2D games or the later 3D ones. Not that I care that much about graphics but it's just something that bugs me.

veti
2018-06-03, 04:29 PM
My favourite by some margin is Twilight Princess. Followed by Minish Cap, and Spirit Tracks. I tried to play Skyward Sword, but it was just plain boring: way too much dialogue being displayed m u c h t o o s l o w l y.

I have Breath of the Wild, but don't see myself playing it any time soon. First my son has to get bored with Mario Odyssey, which he shows no sign of doing yet.

PokéTriforce
2018-06-12, 09:39 AM
but really, the better parts of legend of zelda to me are the fan things surrounding it, and the music. like people come up with all sorts of funny stuff about the characters, while the music is the best part of the franchise for me. best song for me is song of storms.

You're in luck! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlQybmyrFcI

:roach: What do you mean "luck"?
:roach: I guess it's BAD luck. PokéTriforce should learn to create better videos.

There's also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3_RJvGTBwU (Zelda's Lulaby)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_7ZuKUAnfE (Saria's Song)

As well as: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfSaUrEIDCY (showing how all the MAIN ocarina songs are Waltzes)

:roach: Oh! The HUMANITY! The TORTURE! Please, for the love of god, make it STOP!!!

I even have a video about the error Nintendo made with removing Four Swords 25th Anniversary edition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0CkmtOKhrI

ShneekeyTheLost
2018-06-15, 12:28 PM
Okay... old-timey geezer here, gonna ramble on a bit since someone said somethin' I can take as a request to discuss my opinions on Zelda...

Way back in the mid 80's, I got me a Nintendo. Started playing SMB, Duck Hunt, and that track game. Had a few other treasures. Gauntlet (had one of the original black funky-shaped cartridges), Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy... and thus my corruption and snobbery for RPG's was firmly established. Then, at FunCoLand, I saw this golden-looking cartridge, and purchased it out of my saved up allowance. No books, no map, just the game itself and one of those flimsy plastic sleeves. And so began my affair with the Legend of Zelda franchise.

Being that I didn't have the booklet or the map, it took me about two or three months before I found out that there were actually dungeons! Eventually, I figured it out and beat it. I still have the whole map in my head, and the location of where each secret is in each square. Because each one, I found on my own. After a while, I started actively hunting for them, any square which I hadn't discovered a secret in was highlighted on this little grid I made for myself, and I went to go look for them.

Zelda 2: Link's Awakening was a different sort of game. At the time, I didn't much care for it. I had just been burned out on Contra and Bionic Commando, so the side-scrolling thing struck a more negative chord than it probably should have. But still... beat it.

Then came my SNES, and some of my most beloved memories. Final Fantasy II and III (4 and 6 these days), Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana... it was the golden age of RPG's. Everything Squaresoft touched turned into pure gold. And then I got my hands on Link To The Past. Mind = blown. It was like they took the dungeon/castles from Zelda 2, and kept everything in a familiar isometric angle. It kept everything I loved about the original, all the secrets to unlock, all the exploration, all the sense of wonder... in effect, they took what worked from both games, and made it more user friendly. They took the roadmap from the second one and expanded upon it, giving you an actual game map that you can reference, with little marks for where points of interest were, even conveniently numbered so you couldn't get lost. I played the heck out of this game, and loved it.

When OoT came out, I was actually disappointed. You see, this was the N64's debut, and EVERY freeking game, it seemed, was doing the whole 'first person psudo-3d experience'. Which was NOT what I was hoping for, expecting, or wanting. After playing Mario 64, I was less than pleased with the controls and the first person perspective. I believe one of my commentaries was "If I wanted to play Quake, I'd go play Quake on my computer, not load up a Zelda game". Which was disingenuous, of course, but that was my feeling on the topic. I played it, but it wasn't for years before I actually beat it, mostly because it couldn't hold my interest, and it took a headlong dive into the deepest bowels of the Uncanny Valley. I know, for most people OoT was their first zelda experience, and I'm not trying to bag on it here, but I was real salty about it when it came out.

I never even played Majora's Mask until I got my Gamecube, which was a limited edition zelda version with a disc that had the two NES games and the two N64 games and the teaser for Windwaker on it. I was a bit salty that it had OoT and MM on it, but not LTTP, but I eventually played, and beat, them both. At this point I had pretty much come to terms with the fact that Isometric was effectively dead, so I suppose this was the best I was going to get. I liked Groundhog Day idea behind the game, replaying the same three days over and over again until you save the world. But good lord were many of the mechanics kludgy, clumsy, and ridiculous.

Then I got Windwaker. I know, a lot of people bag on the cell-shaded graphics, but I actually loved it! I didn't WANT a hyper-realistic Zelda, I wanted a cartoony, expressive, and foolhardy Link... and they delivered. Sure, the dungeons were simplistic in their layout, but I actually didn't mind that so much. I actually approved of the 'Skyrim Doors' dropping you back off into the main hub areas. I enjoyed the big hub areas as well, as a way of creating narrative distance while reusing the same room from a different angle. And it wasn't until then that I realized that OoT and MM used the exact same layout design. At any rate, Windwaker basically sold me on the whole first/third person Zelda as opposed to the isometric.

Then I got Twilight Princess for the GC (never owned a Wii, never owned a Wii-U, and never will). And finally technology had progressed to the point that it dragged itself back out of the Uncanny Valley and the psudo-realism worked. It was a darker Link storyline, and I was cool with that. Miss Snarks-a-Lot was a VAST improvement over "Hey! Listen!". I thoroughly enjoyed this offering. I still have a save parked right at the entrance to the Hidden Village, so I can get my western on whenever I want to. Also, double clawshot. Spider-link, spider-link, does whatever a spider-link does.

As I never owned a Wii/Wii-U, I never played Skyward Sword. I have, however, watched Let's Plays of it. And yea, I can understand why it is one of the most reviled Zelda offerings ever, but I will point out one thing the game did well: Dungeon layout and design. Each dungeon had a theme, and each theme was carried out well. There was some backtracking, but not enough to make it horrible, and generally with new challenges thrown in (go down, flip a switch, now all the bad guys in the previous room activate and need to be killed through). That wasn't enough to save the abysmal controls, obviously, but from a strictly game design perspective, there was a lot to learn from the dungeon design here.

Then came Breath of the Wild, and boy did I board that hype train, to the point that I was honestly wondering if ANY game could live up to the hype being generated. And then it delivered. Stunningly, amazingly, beautifully... wow. Here's the thing about this game... it went back to the original game's idea of wandering around. You had a few quest markers, on your map, but the game was just open and available. If you could find a way to survive the heat of the desert or the bitter cold of Hebra, you could go there right after Tutorial Plateau. It also did a MUCH better job of tutorializing than most other games I've played. It felt intuitive, without "Hey! Listen!" constantly butting in. Yea, sure, there was a bit of "Fallout: Hyrule" going on about it, and sure, some of it was valid, but I actually kinda liked it.

If I would offer a criticism of BotW is would be a lack of actual dungeony dungeons, if that makes any sense. You get tons of little puzzles to solve, some of them combat, some of them skill or environmental, some of them a pure equipment check. But you never got the deep in-depth dungeon. About the only true dungeon was Castle Hyrule itself. Even the Legendary Beasts weren't really dungeon-length, although I appreciated the density of action within the limited space. But the shrines, to me, felt more like the little secrets you found on virtually every square in the original Zelda game. Sometimes they'd be "It's a Secret to Everyone..." sometimes it would be a vendor, sometimes it would be "Pay door fees", sometimes it would be "Pick which one you want". But that's what the shrines felt like to me. The little things scattered all over the countryside.

I feel the game would have been better served to have a more diverse sort of mini-dungeon with a globe at the end, maybe some of them are cave systems, or hedge mazes, or underwater sections, or actual labyrinth pieces (like the three you get the Barbarian gear from). They didn't all have to be retro-magictech. And it would have been served better with having actual sprawling dungeons.

But on the whole... BotW was the very best zelda experience I've had since my childhood, closely followed by Twilight Princess, LTTP, and Windwaker.

Kato
2018-06-20, 03:04 AM
I think the small number of dungeons is the most often mentioned critique of BotW. I can't say I entirely disagree but I think the Beasts count as proper dungeons, especially in how well they do what they are meant to do. I think the DLC offers one(?) more proper dungeon.
I guess they could have taken a few of the Shrine puzzles and combined them into another larger dungeon but... I also like the short fun puzzles the shrines offer (mostly. Those rotating platform things are a pain but luckily there are only three or so)

If I had to offer my own complaints about a truly great game... the lack of bosses. Sadly, apart from Ganon and the four dungeon bosses, there is Little that qualifies. Sure, there are Lionels but they are just "hit them until they are dead" (though, whenever I'm out of training they can become quite challenging). But they're no replacement for the proper Zelda bosses, that require puzzle solving or such.
Also, like any game with random material drop... ugh, this is a pain. Especially if you want to fully upgrade gear. And at some point it becomes tedious to collect rupees, mostly because there are few ways to make money, except selling gems.
Finally, of course, effing Koroks. I hate these guys. Especially the archery challenges :smalltongue:

Sidenote: I cannot quite agree with the often vocied complaint about SS' controls. I mean, they're not perfect but they are decent, not "ruining the game bad". If I can do it, a better player should be fine, I think.

ShneekeyTheLost
2018-06-20, 08:38 AM
I think the small number of dungeons is the most often mentioned critique of BotW. I can't say I entirely disagree but I think the Beasts count as proper dungeons, especially in how well they do what they are meant to do. I think the DLC offers one(?) more proper dungeon.
I guess they could have taken a few of the Shrine puzzles and combined them into another larger dungeon but... I also like the short fun puzzles the shrines offer (mostly. Those rotating platform things are a pain but luckily there are only three or so)Granted, but I think there could have been a middle ground. I mean, there's two *hundred* little shrines dotted all over the place. I think we could've trimmed off a couple dozen and gotten some proper dungeons into the mix, yanno? Have a good blend of 'short puzzle shrines' and 'long dangerous dungeons'. It would also give the game a chance to have some actual bosses. Which, I believe, is an excellent segue into your next point.

If I had to offer my own complaints about a truly great game... the lack of bosses. Sadly, apart from Ganon and the four dungeon bosses, there is Little that qualifies. Sure, there are Lionels but they are just "hit them until they are dead" (though, whenever I'm out of training they can become quite challenging). But they're no replacement for the proper Zelda bosses, that require puzzle solving or such. Lyonels, the Hinoxes, the Talus, and the Moldolga are supposed to be the 'mini bosses' to satisfy the boss battle itch. Unfortunately, as you point out, while they are nice, they just don't quite do it. I don't think they are bad, to the contrary I really like them as an encounter. But I'd have also liked a miniboss without the 'mini' involved.

Also, like any game with random material drop... ugh, this is a pain. Especially if you want to fully upgrade gear. And at some point it becomes tedious to collect rupees, mostly because there are few ways to make money, except selling gems.Actually, I find grinding the monster parts to be more of a pain than grinding rupees as far as upgrading your gear goes. You can get rupees from Snowling pretty consistently. But either way, it's certainly a grind, and it sometimes really... grinds my gears :smallcool:

Finally, of course, effing Koroks. I hate these guys. Especially the archery challenges :smalltongue:Eh, I get the ones I need for weapon slots. Other than that, there's little purpose to them, so I ignore them. After all, the last thing I need is gold-plated poo. I mean, how many shields do you really need? Especially after you get the Hylian Shield and defeat Vah Naboris? I mean, get one wooden shield for using during inclement weather, and you're pretty good to go. The only real difference between shields is durability and 'will it burn' or 'will it attract lightning to me'. As far as bows go... eh, once you get the Great Eagle Bow, it's all gravy. Technically the Savage Lyonel Bow is marginally better, especially if you can get one to drop with the five shot affix, but honestly I give no cares since they break when you look at them funny. So again, there's no need for a ton of bows. Get a fast-draw bow for reflex shots, a sniper bow for called shots, and the great eagle bow and you're golden. Best of all, you can get another great eagle bow with a Swallow Bow, five wood, and a diamond. And a diamond can be obtained through a repeatable quest by turning in ten luminous stone, which is stupidly common.

Sidenote: I cannot quite agree with the often vocied complaint about SS' controls. I mean, they're not perfect but they are decent, not "ruining the game bad". If I can do it, a better player should be fine, I think.Part of the problem is that SS was the first Zelda game with exclusive motion controls, and... well, let's just say there was some room for improvement. However, it was complicated by the fact that since it was the first Zelda game with exclusive motion controls, the players themselves weren't used to the concept yet, and were uncertain about it. So it was a combination of 'needing more work' and 'players were already unfamiliar with it, so even if it was awesome it would still be called kludgy because it took a lot of getting used to', which is where the hype of 'unplayable' probably came from.

tonberrian
2018-06-20, 02:37 PM
I found that when I'm grinding for ancient cores (for ancient weapons) that enough other ancient parts drop that i don't really need any other source of rupees. I suppose I could be getting rupees and cores faster by save-resetting and/or snowling, but battling guardians is more fun than either of those activities.

ShneekeyTheLost
2018-06-24, 12:14 PM
You know, there's an awful lot of really bad advise about cooking in Breath of the Wild out there in the internet, so here's some stuff I've compiled from my playing:

* Healing: Cook a single Hearty item (Hearty Radish, Hearty Durian, Hearty Truffle, or Hearty Salmon) by itself. It recovers FULL HEALTH plus gives you a few yellow hearts. Especially in the mid to late game, you don't want more yellow hearts, because there's a hard cap on them, but healing all health is extremely powerful. Perhaps a bit too powerful, I suppose, but there you go. Just a single Hearty item cooked up will be all you need. Putting in extra Hearty foods gives you more yellow hearts, but let's face it... you won't need them.

* Endurance: Cook a single Endura item (Endura Carrots are the easiest to get, you can generally find a few around each of the Great Fairy fountains) by itself. It will completely restore ALL stamina, plus give you yellow stamina on top of it. Like the Hearty stuff above, this will restore your entire stamina wheel, which is more important than the yellow stamina over-heal, so only cook a single one at a time.

* Attack: There are two really good and really prevalent attack boosting items: Mighty Bananas from the Yiga and Mighty Thistle, which grows all around the Tabantha Great Fairy. The 'ideal' combo is either three Bananas and one Thistle or two Bananas and three Thistles to hit the max Mighty bonus. If you go with the 3x Banana + 1x Thistle, you can add something that will increase the duration such as Milk or Goat Butter or a Bird Egg. Well, technically you could use a dragon horn to set the duration to 30m, but that seems like a waste of a good dragon horn to me. Only use if you are willing to farm dragon horns excessively (Faron Province gives you a good location, you can use the stables near Faria Bridge to sleep until dawn for 20 rupees, then pop him as he comes by the bridge in the morning, then repeat as necessary). You'll see a lot of stuff online about the Mighty Porgy, and sure, it technically has the best potency of any Mighty food item, however they're also nearly impossible to farm in my experience. But if you can manage it, 2x Mighty Porgy + 1x Mighty Thistle will max out your potency, giving you two other items you can toss in for duration boosting.

* Speed: Fleet Lotus and Swift Violet are the two best items to use for this, with Swift Carrots being able to be used as a filler, due to how easy they are to get (available for sale in Kakariko Village). 3x any combination of Fleet Lotus Seeds and Swift Violet + 1 Swift Carrot will max out your speed boost, then one extra item for increasing duration. Or, if you prefer, 2x any combination of Fleet Lotus Seeds and Swift Violet + 3x Swift Carrots will also net you max speed boost, although the duration might end up less.

* Defense: Only really useful in the early game, because once you start upgrading your armor, it really starts adding up fast. Ironshrooms and Mighty Pumpkins are probably going to be the most accessible items to you, with Armoranth also being prevalent but not as useful. 3x any combo of Ironshrooms and Mighty Pumpkins + 1x Armoranth will cap out your Defense buff, or 2x of any combo of Ironshroom and Mighty Pumpkin + 3x Armoranth will as well. Technically, the Armored Porgy is the most potent defensive item, requiring 2x Armored Porgy + 1x Armoranth to cap your potency, leaving you two slots to boost time with, but good luck finding them in sufficient quantity in the early game.

* Stealthy: You'll see a bunch of people telling you to waste Silent Princess on these recipes. Do not listen to them, those are quite rare, and will be needed for gear upgrades. 3x Silent Shrooms + 1x Sneaky River Snail is all you'll need to cap out your stealth bonus, then add one extra item for more duration. The mushrooms are silly common, and the snails live around the Shrine at Zora Town.

I wouldn't suggest bothering with making elemental resistance food (other than the spicy meat and seafood fry for the Old Man for the quest completion reward) because you can just buy a piece of gear or two and be all set. And eventually you'll want full sets anyway for the set bonuses. Also, the flameproof trait can't come from food, only from elixirs, and you get one for free on your way in. Just head for the mine and do the quest for ten lizards to get the Flamebreaker Tunic, which you should be able to complete with the one free elixir, assuming you don't dawdle or get distracted.

Anyway, hope this helps people.

PokéTriforce
2018-06-27, 11:28 AM
Eventually, I'll get back to the games I haven't finished (Skyward Sword, Link Between Worlds, the remakes I haven't gotten to, even Triforce Heroes). I still need to start Breath of the Wild. I doubt I'll be getting to Triforce Heroes (I just can't seem to get into it).

In the meantime, I uploaded my Gerudo Bu...I Mean Garlic Butter Popcorn video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg8rhIy6ZCI

:roach: Again with the self promotion of another poor quality video?!?

When I get started with BotW, I'll definitely go to this thread for the cooking advice!

PokéTriforce
2018-06-27, 11:54 AM
If anyone plays Super Mario Maker, here is a list of my Zelda-inspired courses:

5661-0000-031b-bc9f

9252-0000-031b-bd61

9af9-0000-0328-f52a

4065-0000-0367-8239

cb8f-0000-035f-5e7b
cfd9-0000-035f-5e8d
009a-0000-035f-5e91

You can check out my other (non-Zelda-inspired) courses, if you want. Here are other creators' Zelda-inspired courses:

3162-0000-01cb-726d

f3fd-0000-0358-4160

0e52-0000-033d-f74a

d708-0000-030f-5843

b7e6-0000-027b-28b7

Some Android
2018-06-27, 04:05 PM
I like the Zelda game where the moon is trying to kill everyone.

PokéTriforce
2018-07-02, 05:57 PM
I like the Zelda game where the moon is trying to kill everyone.

Two nights ago, I was near the Astral Observatory. Something blue & shiny hit the ground. I was too busy preparing for the festival, at the time. I think I'll ask about it, tomorrow.

Some Android
2018-07-03, 05:06 PM
Two nights ago, I was near the Astral Observatory. Something blue & shiny hit the ground. I was too busy preparing for the festival, at the time. I think I'll ask about it, tomorrow.

I love that Astral Observatory theme. If that theme was a person I'd marry it. Then I would probably cheat on it with the Gerudo Valley theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXtes-dcF5k

deuterio12
2018-07-04, 12:40 AM
At this point I had pretty much come to terms with the fact that Isometric was effectively dead, so I suppose this was the best I was going to get.

A bit late, but you never played the GBA Oracle of Seasons/Ages? Or any of the following DS/3DS games? Because there's plenty of good Zelda isometric stuff in there.

The Oracles came out at the same time, one is based in switching between past/present a la OoT (except it's hundreds of years instead of just 7) the other you can change between the main 4 seasons. Plus when you finish one you can link the data to the other to get several extra bonus in a new playthrough (including characters from one game showing up in the other) and unlock the "true" boss/ending.

Minish Cap has the cute cartoony design with the main gimmick being that you can turn super small and back to solve puzzles and exploration and whatnot. Also the origin of the classic green cap.

Phantom Hourglass for the 2DS is the direct sequel of Wind Waker this time with Isometric view. Main gimmick is that there's this central super dungeon where you can only stay a limited amount of time plus several puzzles that need specific tools, but as you progress the game you get more magic sand for the phantom hourglass that allows you to remain longer plus of course more items to solve the puzzles and unlock new areas. Maybe not as good as Wind Waker but still a good game.

There was also A Link Between Worlds as a sequel to A Link to the Past. Main gimmick is that all the main items are available pretty early in a central store (costing huge rupee amounts but you can rent them cheap, in that case you lose them when you die), so you can do the dungeons in whatever order. Plus Link gains the ability to turn himself into a 2D painting that can stick to walls and slip through tight places.

PokéTriforce
2018-07-04, 03:48 PM
Has anyone done the "Majora's Mask 4th Day" cheat? Just wondering.

I love that Astral Observatory theme. If that theme was a person I'd marry it. Then I would probably cheat on it with the Gerudo Valley theme.

My next uploaded song will be Jigglypuff Song. I still need to work on it before videoing it, though. I might work on Astral Observatory, after that.

My channel is dedicated to animals, Halloween-related, and gaming (Pokémon & Zelda).

:roach: Quit advertising! No one is interested in your YouTube channel!

One of these years, I plan on figuring out how to hook up the Wii U for recording "Let's Plays".

ShneekeyTheLost
2018-07-04, 03:53 PM
A bit late, but you never played the GBA Oracle of Seasons/Ages? Or any of the following DS/3DS games? Because there's plenty of good Zelda isometric stuff in there.I never owned a GBA or DS/3DS, so unfortunately not.

The Oracles came out at the same time, one is based in switching between past/present a la OoT (except it's hundreds of years instead of just 7) the other you can change between the main 4 seasons. Plus when you finish one you can link the data to the other to get several extra bonus in a new playthrough (including characters from one game showing up in the other) and unlock the "true" boss/ending.Yea, there was a lot of complaining about that mechanic... some compared it to Pokemon Red/Blue needing both plus a link cable to catch 'em all.

Minish Cap has the cute cartoony design with the main gimmick being that you can turn super small and back to solve puzzles and exploration and whatnot. Also the origin of the classic green cap.I saw Zodi's Let's Play of the game. Looked interesting, but the multiple links puzzles just seem pretty contrived.

Phantom Hourglass for the 2DS is the direct sequel of Wind Waker this time with Isometric view. Main gimmick is that there's this central super dungeon where you can only stay a limited amount of time plus several puzzles that need specific tools, but as you progress the game you get more magic sand for the phantom hourglass that allows you to remain longer plus of course more items to solve the puzzles and unlock new areas. Maybe not as good as Wind Waker but still a good game.The amount of rage I have heard about the main dungeon about this game... I dunno if it deserves it, but there's a LOT of rage out there about it.

There was also A Link Between Worlds as a sequel to A Link to the Past. Main gimmick is that all the main items are available pretty early in a central store (costing huge rupee amounts but you can rent them cheap, in that case you lose them when you die), so you can do the dungeons in whatever order. Plus Link gains the ability to turn himself into a 2D painting that can stick to walls and slip through tight places.Heard about it. Not sure if I liked all of the mechanics. Basically, instead of finding stuff, you rent stuff for single dungeon runs. Don't really know how I feel about that.

deuterio12
2018-07-04, 05:44 PM
I never owned a GBA or DS/3DS, so unfortunately not.

I'm pretty sure you could find one pretty cheap nowadays, oracles even in the 3DS virtual shop.

And if not, there's other... Ways.

Yea, there was a lot of complaining about that mechanic... some compared it to Pokemon Red/Blue needing both plus a link cable to catch 'em all.

Considering how popular pokemon turned out, I would say that counts as praise.

Besides while red/blue and whatnot are pretty much the same story in the same area against the same 8 gym leaders, Ages/Seasons are actually different adventures in different areas with 8 different dungeons each.

I saw Zodi's Let's Play of the game. Looked interesting, but the multiple links puzzles just seem pretty contrived.

Honestly had forgot you could multiply Link in that one.

One great thing about the game was how you were rewarded for paying attention to detail since tiny things in the background could be quite important once you went smaller size.

The amount of rage I have heard about the main dungeon about this game... I dunno if it deserves it, but there's a LOT of rage out there about it.

Really? Never noticed it, and actually most fondly remember the main dungeon. If anything the game as a whole felt easier than your average Zelda, so the extra difficulty for having limited time was a nice change of pace.

Heard about it. Not sure if I liked all of the mechanics. Basically, instead of finding stuff, you rent stuff for single dungeon runs. Don't really know how I feel about that.

It's not for single dungeon runs, once you rent an item it's yours until you die and you can do all the dungeons with it if you remain alive.
If you enjoyed Breath of the Wild, it's not that different from getting all the sheik-pad abilities right in the starting plateau and then deciding where you get to go next.

Plus there's still plenty of stuff to find, in particular a super side quest where you collect a specific thing that's hidden all over the maps and allows you to upgrade your main items.

Jama7301
2018-07-05, 01:39 PM
It's not for single dungeon runs, once you rent an item it's yours until you die and you can do all the dungeons with it if you remain alive.
If you enjoyed Breath of the Wild, it's not that different from getting all the sheik-pad abilities right in the starting plateau and then deciding where you get to go next.

Plus there's still plenty of stuff to find, in particular a super side quest where you collect a specific thing that's hidden all over the maps and allows you to upgrade your main items.
Additionally, after a bit, you can straight up buy and own the items, so you don't lose them on death. It's kind of interesting, because there are levels where you're not required to have an item, but you'll notice something like "oh, I could have had a shortcut if I had the hammer," or "I could reach that ledge with the sand rod"

If an item is required for a dungeon (from the few I've done), there's an indicator outside.

Some Android
2018-07-05, 01:44 PM
Isn't there a Zelda game where Link can turn into a wolf or something? Is it any good?

Hunter Noventa
2018-07-05, 03:10 PM
I started with the originals on NES. Then we got a Genesis so no Zelda til I got a Game Boy and Link's Awakening, which is pretty much still my favorite.

I never got into the 3D zeldas because I never had the consoles for them, though I have a Switch and do mean to pick up BotW. I did enjoy Link Between Worlds though, that was pretty fun overall.

ShneekeyTheLost
2018-07-05, 03:36 PM
Isn't there a Zelda game where Link can turn into a wolf or something? Is it any good?

That would be Twilight Princess for the Game Cube or Wii, and yes it is very good.

Some Android
2018-07-05, 04:02 PM
That would be Twilight Princess for the Game Cube or Wii, and yes it is very good.

So people like it when the Hero of Time turns into a wolf but not when a blue hedgehog does it (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Unleashed)?

GloatingSwine
2018-07-05, 04:05 PM
So people like it when the Hero of Time turns into a wolf but not when a blue hedgehog does it (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Unleashed)?

Mostly because when Sonic did it it was in service of a dull slow God of War clone because they needed to pad the runtime of an otherwise quite good game. (Also, Sonic's reputation was no longer in the toilet because it had long since been flushed and was swilling around the local sewage treatment plant, so he could do nothing right anyway.)

Whereas in Twilight Princess it integrates into the world and changing and restricting Link's options in order to change how the player has to approach the world is a common Zelda gameplay element.

Some Android
2018-07-05, 06:23 PM
Wasn't there a Zelda game where Link had a talking hat and could get smaller? Was it any good? I think it was called the Minish Cap or maybe I'm thinking of a Marvel film where someone could get smaller.

deuterio12
2018-07-05, 07:44 PM
Wasn't there a Zelda game where Link had a talking hat and could get smaller? Was it any good? I think it was called the Minish Cap or maybe I'm thinking of a Marvel film where someone could get smaller.

Minish Cap's the name of that Zelda game, I even mentioned it in the last page.

Lentrax
2018-07-06, 08:41 PM
Been training myself in LttP lately. Soon as I get better I’m going to start speed running it.

ShneekeyTheLost
2018-07-06, 08:53 PM
Been training myself in LttP lately. Soon as I get better I’m going to start speed running it.

You going glitched or glitchless? Any%? LTTP can be a hell of a lot of fun to speed-run, but there's a LOT of different strats depending on what category you're going to be running. I'd be seriously tempted to do it myself if Nintendo wasn't such a huge jerk about streaming/youtubing their games.

Triaxx
2018-07-07, 12:23 PM
I know you probably hate the evil Gimmicky Waggle controls, but I found the Wii to be very much fun. A lot of it depends on the quality of the game.

Resident Evil 4 works fantastically, and the only waggle is where you'd normally be hammering a button to run from things or break away. Didn't get a chance to play Twilight Princess on the Wii because I bought it on the Gamecube because I couldn't GET a Wii at the time. Had the money and couldn't afford it. Bully Scholarship edition was also done well.

Skyward Sword... I really liked a lot of things about it, and disliked others. Flying could have been cool, and wasn't. Fighting on the ground was a bit hindered by the controls occasionally deciding they had no interest at all in swinging the way I wanted, but any ranged weapons worked fantastically.

veti
2018-07-07, 09:31 PM
I know you probably hate the evil Gimmicky Waggle controls, but I found the Wii to be very much fun. A lot of it depends on the quality of the game.

Resident Evil 4 works fantastically

RE4 was my second-favourite single player game on the Wii, behind only Twilight Princess. No other SP game on the platform came close to those two. (Multiplayer games, like sports, are a whole other category. Those were great.)

Although thinking about it - Link's Crossbow Training was also fun. But I think of that as kinda an extension of Twilight Princess.

Triaxx
2018-07-07, 10:36 PM
Best part was that while some people complained about it being too easy compared to the Gamecube version, you could plug in a GC controller, and use the other controls and see it wasn't any easier to play, just to control.

PokéTriforce
2018-07-09, 11:15 AM
I, still, haven't played LttP. I'd do the glitch, first (just to get that outta' the way). Then, I'd go through and actually PLAY the game.

TP (which does NOT stand for "toilet paper") happens to be my FAVORITE of the Zelda games. I kept hoping to see a sequel, where Midna returns to her "impish" form and has Link travel to the Twilight Realm. Perhaps, even have Lorule added to the mix? Maybe start with Hilda sending a notice to Link -- about an attack from another dimension. When Link gets there, he finds out it's invaders from the Twilight realm! Midna informs Link that the attack was not HER doing; but someone who invaded her realm and is taking over. Too bad this game won't ever exist, though.

Regardless, I STILL need to finish SS. I left off (in mid-2015) having defeated the pirate ship of the past. Even GROOSE would be quicker at this game than I am!

Triaxx
2018-07-09, 01:37 PM
Link to the past is worth digging into. It's... a unique experience. It's longer than most Zelda games, but because there's so many things you can do and so many you want to.

The only one of the top downs I'd put above Link to the Past is Link's Awakening, just because it's such a fun game, with fun bosses. And being able to use two different items is amazingly fun.

GloatingSwine
2018-07-09, 02:43 PM
Skyward Sword... I really liked a lot of things about it, and disliked others. Flying could have been cool, and wasn't. Fighting on the ground was a bit hindered by the controls occasionally deciding they had no interest at all in swinging the way I wanted, but any ranged weapons worked fantastically.

My problems with Skyward Sword were it repeating the same three areas three times each and the way the directional control of the sword was ultimately less interesting than it could have been because most enemies guarded from at least two directions if not all but one, making it less a freeform sword waggling game and more a "do the one thing the game says you're allowed to" game.

I think Wind Waker has the most freedom and variety in its combat, to be honest.

Triaxx
2018-07-09, 03:51 PM
I spent so long sailing around the ocean I occasionally had to remember how to do land combat. Which is to say I voluntarily lost myself sailing around, rather than a negative comment on the game. Aim boat, set wind, relax. My favorite part of the game by far.

Jama7301
2018-07-09, 06:41 PM
You going glitched or glitchless? Any%? LTTP can be a hell of a lot of fun to speed-run, but there's a LOT of different strats depending on what category you're going to be running. I'd be seriously tempted to do it myself if Nintendo wasn't such a huge jerk about streaming/youtubing their games.

I started learning just the Master Sword speedrun, a couple years ago to race with friends, and it was a good way to kill 30-40 minutes at a time. The full game runs are too technique heavy for my personal tastes. They're a good watch though, if you can find someone not doing randomizers now, haha.

Lentrax
2018-07-10, 04:41 PM

I’ll be doing NMG. While the major glitches are fun and all, I just don’t think they are really worth doing.

And for the record, I also loved WW. But Twilight Princess will always hold a special place in my heart for that ending.

Kato
2018-07-13, 06:20 AM
So I have bought the BotW DLC and started from the beginning. And because I'm a massive arrogant idiot I decided to go for the master mode right away which means I will never be able to finish the sword trial :smalltongue: or at least not for a long time. Some time. I'll see. Also, I decided to wait until I do about anything else before taking on the beasts so getting to the new dungeon will also take a while. But I got most of the new equipment by now. I wish it was a bit more useful but it's a neat addition.

Kato
2018-07-31, 09:14 AM
Well, I managed to beat the sword trials on normal mode at least... I guess at some point I will do it in master mode since I kind of know what is coming now. Apart from that only twenty dozen or so koroks and a few taluses (tali?) and hinox left until master mode is basically cleared and I can rest.

PokéTriforce
2018-08-01, 12:12 AM
I haven't even STARTED BotW, yet. I've just been SO BUSY! Of course, I'd like to finish SS, first.

Gnoman
2018-08-06, 03:11 PM
I recently started playing Breath Of the Wild, and ran into a bit of an annoyance. I couldn't find anyone that explained how cooking works. Not details - I mean the basic "hold items and drop them into a pot" mechanic. I eventually just looked it up after meeting Impa (I had assumed that the cooking tutorial would be in the village at the latest). Is that ever explained in game?

ShneekeyTheLost
2018-08-06, 04:02 PM
I recently started playing Breath Of the Wild, and ran into a bit of an annoyance. I couldn't find anyone that explained how cooking works. Not details - I mean the basic "hold items and drop them into a pot" mechanic. I eventually just looked it up after meeting Impa (I had assumed that the cooking tutorial would be in the village at the latest). Is that ever explained in game?

When you are holding something in your hand, the 'rest' option turns into 'cook' at a cooking fire, so I found it quite intuitive. But yes, it is explained. First, the Old Man tells you that roasted items are better, such as the roasted apple you snag. Then in the village with Impa, there's a kid with a food-related quest who will go over how to cook if you don't already know. It is kind of tucked into a corner, and she doesn't show up in inclement weather (presumably because the fire is out), so it is real easy to miss her.

PokéTriforce
2018-08-06, 04:26 PM

First, the Old Man tells you that roasted items are better, such as the roasted apple you snag. Then in the village with Impa, there's a kid with a food-related quest who will go over how to cook if you don't already know.

Last November/December, Nintendo had a section in the Mall for customers to learn about their products. I played a demo version of BotW. I figured out how to cook by accident. Of course, I was also attempting to climb. I got to a cave and was SO HAPPY...until I was told that that is where you start out in the game (where Link wakes up). Then I climbed some more, fell, and instantly died. That's when I gave the controller to the next person in line.

Anyway, they have some recipes in this thread.

Healing: Cook a single Hearty item (Hearty Radish, Hearty Durian, Hearty Truffle, or Hearty Salmon) by itself. It recovers FULL HEALTH plus gives you a few yellow hearts. Especially in the mid to late game, you don't want more yellow hearts, because there's a hard cap on them, but healing all health is extremely powerful. Perhaps a bit too powerful, I suppose, but there you go. Just a single Hearty item cooked up will be all you need. Putting in extra Hearty foods gives you more yellow hearts, but let's face it... you won't need them.

* Endurance: Cook a single Endura item (Endura Carrots are the easiest to get, you can generally find a few around each of the Great Fairy fountains) by itself. It will completely restore ALL stamina, plus give you yellow stamina on top of it. Like the Hearty stuff above, this will restore your entire stamina wheel, which is more important than the yellow stamina over-heal, so only cook a single one at a time.

* Attack: There are two really good and really prevalent attack boosting items: Mighty Bananas from the Yiga and Mighty Thistle, which grows all around the Tabantha Great Fairy. The 'ideal' combo is either three Bananas and one Thistle or two Bananas and three Thistles to hit the max Mighty bonus. If you go with the 3x Banana + 1x Thistle, you can add something that will increase the duration such as Milk or Goat Butter or a Bird Egg. Well, technically you could use a dragon horn to set the duration to 30m, but that seems like a waste of a good dragon horn to me. Only use if you are willing to farm dragon horns excessively (Faron Province gives you a good location, you can use the stables near Faria Bridge to sleep until dawn for 20 rupees, then pop him as he comes by the bridge in the morning, then repeat as necessary). You'll see a lot of stuff online about the Mighty Porgy, and sure, it technically has the best potency of any Mighty food item, however they're also nearly impossible to farm in my experience. But if you can manage it, 2x Mighty Porgy + 1x Mighty Thistle will max out your potency, giving you two other items you can toss in for duration boosting.

* Speed: Fleet Lotus and Swift Violet are the two best items to use for this, with Swift Carrots being able to be used as a filler, due to how easy they are to get (available for sale in Kakariko Village). 3x any combination of Fleet Lotus Seeds and Swift Violet + 1 Swift Carrot will max out your speed boost, then one extra item for increasing duration. Or, if you prefer, 2x any combination of Fleet Lotus Seeds and Swift Violet + 3x Swift Carrots will also net you max speed boost, although the duration might end up less.

* Defense: Only really useful in the early game, because once you start upgrading your armor, it really starts adding up fast. Ironshrooms and Mighty Pumpkins are probably going to be the most accessible items to you, with Armoranth also being prevalent but not as useful. 3x any combo of Ironshrooms and Mighty Pumpkins + 1x Armoranth will cap out your Defense buff, or 2x of any combo of Ironshroom and Mighty Pumpkin + 3x Armoranth will as well. Technically, the Armored Porgy is the most potent defensive item, requiring 2x Armored Porgy + 1x Armoranth to cap your potency, leaving you two slots to boost time with, but good luck finding them in sufficient quantity in the early game.

* Stealthy: You'll see a bunch of people telling you to waste Silent Princess on these recipes. Do not listen to them, those are quite rare, and will be needed for gear upgrades. 3x Silent Shrooms + 1x Sneaky River Snail is all you'll need to cap out your stealth bonus, then add one extra item for more duration. The mushrooms are silly common, and the snails live around the Shrine at Zora Town.

I wouldn't suggest bothering with making elemental resistance food (other than the spicy meat and seafood fry for the Old Man for the quest completion reward) because you can just buy a piece of gear or two and be all set. And eventually you'll want full sets anyway for the set bonuses. Also, the flameproof trait can't come from food, only from elixirs, and you get one for free on your way in. Just head for the mine and do the quest for ten lizards to get the Flamebreaker Tunic, which you should be able to complete with the one free elixir, assuming you don't dawdle or get distracted.

Knaight
2018-08-07, 08:55 AM
Sleeping was mentioned, but you don't need the stables for that - campfires work just as well, and both wood and fire starting equipment are easy to get ahold of. I favor flaming weapons for the fire starting equipment, but there are other options.

Kato
2018-08-07, 09:39 AM

I can't say for sure but one of the first quests involves cooking something for the old man to get the warm... Something. Clothes. Sadly, by now I always skip the dialogue so I can't be sure but I think he explained it.

ShneekeyTheLost
2018-08-07, 12:31 PM
I can't say for sure but one of the first quests involves cooking something for the old man to get the warm... Something. Clothes. Sadly, by now I always skip the dialogue so I can't be sure but I think he explained it.

Oh, right... on Newbie Plateau if you find the wood shack, you can read the Old Man's diary, and it will tell you how to cook. And furthermore, it will tell you *most* of the 'spicy meat and seafood fry' recipe... it'll talk about the meat and the peppers, and so you are hinted at getting something that qualifies as 'seafood' from a nearby pond. Making the recipe for the Old Man will net you the Warm Doublet, which gives one level of Cold Resistance when worn

Knaight
2018-08-07, 01:40 PM
There's also various recipes from the Stable, plus that one cook in the Gerudo desert that's a sterling example of what not to do.

Gnoman
2018-08-07, 03:53 PM
I found several people that told me things like "cook bugs with monster bits to make elixirs!" or "cooking food makes it heal you better, and you can get one cool effect from food at a time." It was the basic mechanic that I didn't get (I assumed the "hold" option was for giving things to people, and hadn't found anybody that wanted anything yet). Good to know that there is a way to find out in game, even if it is easy to miss.

The only quests I got from the "old man" was the "complete all the shrines, and I'll give you my paraglider" set.

ShneekeyTheLost
2018-08-08, 10:04 AM
I found several people that told me things like "cook bugs with monster bits to make elixirs!" or "cooking food makes it heal you better, and you can get one cool effect from food at a time." It was the basic mechanic that I didn't get (I assumed the "hold" option was for giving things to people, and hadn't found anybody that wanted anything yet). Good to know that there is a way to find out in game, even if it is easy to miss.

The only quests I got from the "old man" was the "complete all the shrines, and I'll give you my paraglider" set.

While traveling around Newbie Plateau, if you explore *behind* the Temple of Time's ruins, you may discover a little cottage where the old man will be present. During the day, he'll be chopping at a tree and invite you to take a whack at it (which naturally has the log fall across the chasm and permit you to pass, giving you an alternate route to Stasis via climbing). In said cottage is a book to read. Also, there are several things growing up around the cottage you can harvest. On top of the cabin resides a spot where you can find a korok.

PokéTriforce
2018-08-09, 01:31 AM
This is just making me want to play BotW even more!