PDA

View Full Version : Cool Items to Enchant?

Deth Muncher
2007-09-06, 08:09 PM
So, I found out the other day that you can enchant a regular, mundane shirt with Mage Armor for 7000gp. Which led me to start thinking...what else would be an awesome thing for a sorceror to have? A hat of +4 wisdom or intelligence (has to be red though)? A bracelet/arm bangle thing enchanted with Shield?

Starbuck_II
2007-09-06, 08:21 PM
So, I found out the other day that you can enchant a regular, mundane shirt with Mage Armor for 7000gp.

Pre-tell, where?

Which led me to start thinking...what else would be an awesome thing for a sorceror to have? A hat of +4 wisdom or intelligence (has to be red though)? A bracelet/arm bangle thing enchanted with Shield?

Um, what?
A Headband of intellect already exists.
Sadly if it is a hat instead 1.5 price. See page 288 for reference of bodty slot affinities.
A Charisma hat would work though as hat is interaction (charisma skills work with that).

I have never seen a arm bangle with shield.

martyboy74
2007-09-06, 08:31 PM
Mantle of Misplaced Faith

Magical analysis indicates that this red shirt is a normal suit Mantle of Faith. However, this mantle is cursed. The wearer takes a -10 to AC against all attacks, and any attacks made on him bypass all DR that they have. After the wearer is first attacked, the mantle cannot be removed for 1 hour afterwards. The true nature of the mantle does not reveal itself until the wearer is attacked in earnest.

Strong Abjuration (Good); CL 20th; Craft Wondrous Item, Bestow Curse; Price 10,000 gp.

Deth Muncher
2007-09-06, 08:35 PM
I found THAT out by a guy whos been playing D&D for a while, its in some book or another.

knightsaline
2007-09-06, 08:37 PM
I would actually want to make cursed items on purpose. none of this "touch the scarab and it kills you", just prank items. try this one on for size;

take one masterwork belt (+2 on opposed shanking checks), enchant it so it is a belt of gender changing, then stack on that Nystuls magical aura so it registers as a monks belt. sell these near malcanthets temple and watch as malcanthet smites all those clerics of hers for turning male.

One of my characters liked to do this. She had the only Belt of Elective gender changing and would proceed to sell belts that would change a persons gender so that men could participate in one of malcanthets ritual orgies and not be killed. She was hit by a bolt of blue lightning because the other characters got distracted by her antics. DeeEm had enough of this.

another recipe for destruction

Take one masterwork belt (no improvised weapon penalty when used to discipline someone), inscribe on it explosive runes that are suppressed when near the creator. tell the buyers to read them somewhere else (possibly a rival magic school, temple or somewhere else). listen as the belts explode. Run like hell.

then theres the famous bouncy ball trick. technically, it does not work (the target has to READ the runes in order to be effected) but with a little modification, it can. take one bouncy ball. enchant it so when it hits the ground, a rune appears. when the targets read the rune, it activates.

take some masterwork boots (+2 AC when walking over caltrops and broken glass), enchant it with Ottos dance spell (activated when the boots are put on) and a Tashas hideous laughter on those watching. then use magical aura so that they look like boots of jumping. sell them. Run like hell. listen as the whole marketplace dances and laughs

take some masterwork socks (+2 on nothing really. why the hell would you need masterwork socks?) enchant them with ghoul touch (activated when put on) nystul it as masterwork socks. watch as everyone runs away from the wearer.

thats about it for pranky items

Deth Muncher
2007-09-06, 08:45 PM
Cursed items BAD! I had a Ring of Random Action (basically, RoW on a much lesser scale), that caused uber havok. no cursed items. And it has to be a +4 red hat in reference to RM of 8BT.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-09-06, 08:48 PM
Hat of Charisma
This is a large pointy straw hat which covers the entire face of the wearer in a shadow. It provides a +4 Enhancement bonus on Charisma.

Robes of the Mage
These large blue robes cover the entire body, and are flowing and loose. These increase your caster level by 1 when worn.

Congratulations, Sorcerer as Black Mage outfit!

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-06, 08:55 PM
Are you kidding? Black Mage has a Cha score of -5. At least, with regards to women.

Deth Muncher
2007-09-06, 08:55 PM
Hat of Charisma
This is a large pointy straw hat which covers the entire face of the wearer in a shadow. It provides a +4 Enhancement bonus on Charisma.

Robes of the Mage
These large blue robes cover the entire body, and are flowing and loose. These increase your caster level by 1 when worn.

Congratulations, Sorcerer as Black Mage outfit!

Oh GOD! I have to ask my DM if I can do that!

martyboy74
2007-09-06, 08:56 PM
Nah. The hat would be closer to this:

Hat of Average Charisma

This large straw hat covers the entire face of the wearer in a shadow. While worn, the wearer is considered to have a 10 Charisma.

knightsaline
2007-09-06, 09:00 PM
the items created do not require a remove curse spell to remove them, its just fun to throw them into a game. The cleric/sorc multi needing AC goes looking for a monks belt, buys the first item on the list without seeing if its cursed or identified as such, then is turned into the opposite gender.

If you want a RM style hat, you may have a problem. Hats generally tend to be used for either ranged attacks or mental improvement. maybe instead of enchanting the hat, enchant the feather. it would be cheaper and you could just stick it into the band of the hat. Make the hat masterwork (+2 on resisting sunburn) and red ( 1/day swift haste. stems from a myth that "red ones go faster", +2 to CHA when dealing with speed obsessed orcs) and you have a red mage hat.

theoretically speaking, you could have a bracelet that can create a shield like force on the arm that is wearing the bracelet, but it would be expensive.

with the hat, you could make it so it improves bluff. RM seems to try and bluff his way out of using spells or pretending that he cast a spell, with the bluff making the target inflict damage on himself (at a -20 modifier due to being unrealistic).

Jack_Simth
2007-09-06, 09:17 PM
then theres the famous bouncy ball trick. technically, it does not work (the target has to READ the runes in order to be effected) but with a little modification, it can. take one bouncy ball. enchant it so when it hits the ground, a rune appears. when the targets read the rune, it activates.

Technically, all the Symbol spells let you make any activation method you want:

As a default, a symbol of death is triggered whenever a creature does one or more of the following, as you select: looks at the rune; reads the rune; touches the rune; passes over the rune; or passes through a portal bearing the rune. Regardless of the trigger method or methods chosen, a creature more than 60 feet from a symbol of death can’t trigger it (even if it meets one or more of the triggering conditions, such as reading the rune). Once the spell is cast, a symbol of death’s triggering conditions cannot be changed.

In this case, “reading” the rune means any attempt to study it, identify it, or fathom its meaning. Throwing a cover over a symbol of death to render it inoperative triggers it if the symbol reacts to touch. You can’t use a symbol of death offensively; for instance, a touch-triggered symbol of death remains untriggered if an item bearing the symbol of death is used to touch a creature. Likewise, a symbol of death cannot be placed on a weapon and set to activate when the weapon strikes a foe.

You can also set special triggering limitations of your own. These can be as simple or elaborate as you desire. Special conditions for triggering a symbol of death can be based on a creature’s name, identity, or alignment, but otherwise must be based on observable actions or qualities. Intangibles such as level, class, Hit Dice, and hit points don’t qualify. (Emphasis added)

Get two Symbols of Persuasion (charm effect) and Permanency both of them.

The first is triggered when the second powers down. The Second is triggered when the first powers down OR somebody looks at it. As Symbol spell glows when active, it's an observable quality (provided both are within line of sight of each other) and a perfectly valid triggering condition. All you need is someone else to start the two off (a Summoned Monster should do the job). One or the other will always be active. No-action charm attempt (DC 16 + stat mod + other bonuses; higher, if you use Heighten (reccomended)) vs. everyone within 60 feet.

You can get a little more elaborate and have both running almost continuously (they have a 10 minute down time when they run out to recharge - stagger the two so that only one is offline at any given time). When you get more resources, add a 3rd, 4th, 5th.... but do watch out for Greater Dispel Magic (it'll ruin your investment).

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-09-06, 10:28 PM
Even easier... set rune to go off whenever anyone with <condition which will include anything you are fighting but exclude the party, for example if the whole party is good or neutral, set to anyone evil> passes within 5' of the rune. Then attach to bouncy ball and do the Xykon thing! Every time it passes within 5' of an enemy, it triggers. How's that for awsome-tastic?