PDA

View Full Version : Optimization pick up another class?

imtodd
2018-05-31, 02:53 PM
Currently Gloom Stalker Ranger 4 / War Cleric 1

Next level is Ranger 5 and Extra Attack. I have this build for the extra attacks from Gloom Stalker and War Cleric.

Beyond that I'm not too excited about what my classes have to offer. Is there another class that I could add to really round out the build?

Suggestions welcome!

CTurbo
2018-05-31, 03:21 PM
Can you give us more info on your character? Like race and stats?

For starters, you could always take more Cleric levels. Clerics are really strong in 5e.

Sexyshoeless
2018-05-31, 03:27 PM
I for one would highly recommend continuing in cleric for more spells (eventually you can add Spiritual weapon for a reliable bonus action attack, add some utility/healing to the team).

However, if your focus is a silly number of attacks, you could always add 2 levels of fighter for Action surge (going for 3 for Battlemaster Maneuvers) and/or add 3 levels of rogue for expertise, Sneak attack and the eventual Assassin subclass.

If you did both Rogue and Fighter levels after 6, by level 12 you could potentially throw in 3 attacks from Ranger, a bonus action attack from war cleric, and 2 more from action surge for a total of 6 attacks all with Assassinate critical potential on round one of combat.

It's not even that MAD if you are going with a Dex ranger build atm. If you're using a str weapon then it is slightly so.

imtodd
2018-05-31, 03:33 PM
High Elf race

19 16 14 12 14 13 (str is from gauntlets of ogre power) We rolled for stats and I ran very flat. The natural str is 9.

I was using a rapier but when I got the gauntlets I swapped to greatsword and am now wearing heavy armor.

CTurbo
2018-05-31, 03:34 PM
I for one would highly recommend continuing in cleric for more spells (eventually you can add Spiritual weapon for a reliable bonus action attack, add some utility/healing to the team).

However, if your focus is a silly number of attacks, you could always add 2 levels of fighter for Action surge (going for 3 for Battlemaster Maneuvers) and/or add 3 levels of rogue for expertise, Sneak attack and the eventual Assassin subclass.

If you did both Rogue and Fighter levels after 6, by level 12 you could potentially throw in 3 attacks from Ranger, a bonus action attack from war cleric, and 2 more from action surge for a total of 6 attacks all with Assassinate critical potential on round one of combat.

It's not even that MAD if you are going with a Dex ranger build atm. If you're using a str weapon then it is slightly so.

Lol I was just trying to talk somebody into Fighter BM 3, Gloom Stalker 5, Assassin X on here a couple days ago.

Here is the 1st attack,

main hand - 1d6+dex+sneak damage
main hand - 1d6+dex
extra main hand - 1d6+dex+1d8
off hand - 1d6+dex
Action surge
main hand - 1d6+dex
main hand - 1d6+dex
extra main hand - 1d6+dex+1d8

Note: You can use the Gloom Stalker's Dread Ambusher again with Action Surge.

CTurbo
2018-05-31, 03:39 PM
High Elf race

19 16 14 12 14 13 (str is from gauntlets of ogre power) We rolled for stats and I ran very flat. The natural str is 9.

I was using a rapier but when I got the gauntlets I swapped to greatsword and am now wearing heavy armor.

Oh ok so with this I would either take more Cleric levels and bump Wis to at least 16, or take some Fighter levels. Fighter gets you some great stuff. Cleric 5 gets you Spirit Guardians which is great for any melee character. Spiritual Weapon is great for when your War Priest bonus attack is used up.

Vogie
2018-05-31, 10:22 PM
Wielding a Greatsword with 19 Strength?

Yep, time to go Barbarian. Bear Totem for Tanky, Zealot for more raw damage, but...

I'd suggest Ancestral Guardian for the Ancestral Protectors. That allows you to act a bit more cleric-y while not actively clericing around the battlefield.

Just keep pumping your ASIs into Con and Wis, for HP and extra attacks, respectively. You can even end up with all Ancestral Guardian path features, and a pair of Brutal Critical. It'll be fairly awesome.

bid
2018-05-31, 10:34 PM
Yep, time to go Barbarian. Bear Totem for Tanky, Zealot for more raw damage, but...
Can't MC barbarian with Str9.

I assume you started cleric, making iron mind pointless. Unless you want a skill monkey (rogue), I'd just push cleric up.