PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Rate My Sorcerer Spell Selection?

Azther
2018-05-31, 03:51 PM
Hey there! I'm theorycrafting a Sorcerer and I decided on my spell selection. He's a Half-Elf Draconic Sorcerer (Fire) Lvl 20, Metamagics are Twin, Quickened, Heightened and Subtle, focused on blasting with some utility. Could you guys tell me if it's a decent list?

Cantrips
Fire Bolt
Shocking Grasp
Ray of Frost
Prestidigitation
Light
Minor Illusion

Lvl 1
Shield

Lvl 2
Invisibility
Misty Step
Suggestion
Dragon's Breath

Lvl 3
Fireball
Dispel Magic
Counterspell

Lvl 4
Polymorph
Greater Invisibility
Dimension Door

Lvl 5
Hold Person
Telekinesis
Immolation

Lvl 9
Wish

ImproperJustice
2018-05-31, 04:16 PM
A few quick questions:

Race/Class?

What meta magic choices will you make?

What kind of Sorceror do you want to be?
Blaster
Controller
Utility

Sorceror’s are at their best when their meta magic maximizes their spell casting role, which is usually augmented by their subclass :)

parryhotter
2018-05-31, 04:35 PM
Looks good to me.

JeffreyGator
2018-05-31, 04:41 PM
You probably need just greater invisibility and can drop the lower level one.

What flavor of sorc are you? (I am guessing dragon since you don't have mage armor)

What cantrips are you planning?

You may want something that go through a greater globe of invulnerability. (6,7 or 8)

You might think about:
6: Investure of flame

5: Animate objects

Azther
2018-05-31, 04:43 PM
A few quick questions:

Race/Class?

What meta magic choices will you make?

What kind of Sorceror do you want to be?
Blaster
Controller
Utility

Sorceror’s are at their best when their meta magic maximizes their spell casting role, which is usually augmented by their subclass :)

Oh, okay! it´s just theorycrafting for a Half-elf Draconic Sorcerer, (Fire) Level 20. Metamagics are Twin, Quickened, Heightened and Subtle! I tried to make him a Blaster first, with Controller and Utility later. What do you think?

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-05-31, 04:44 PM
I'd definitely add Animate Objects. Otherwise this looks really good! I'd recommend Melf's Minute Meteors over Fireball as its a 50% increase in damage spread over a minimum of 3 rounds. It takes a bonus action after the first so you can use your action for other things at that point.

Azther
2018-05-31, 04:48 PM
You probably need just greater invisibility and can drop the lower level one.

What flavor of sorc are you? (I am guessing dragon since you don't have mage armor)

What cantrips are you planning?

You may want something that go through a greater globe of invulnerability. (6,7 or 8)

You might think about:
6: Investure of flame

5: Animate objects

I planned on using Invisibility to help the party infiltrate somewhere, since I can twin it and it lasts for an hour.

Cantrips are Fire Bolt, Shocking Grasp, Ray of Frost, Prestidigitation, Light and Minor Illusion

I focus on being a blaster with some utility

I thought about Animate Objects but I was told it wasn't that good since it doesn't do magic damage

Are Globes of Invulnerability common?

Azther
2018-05-31, 04:50 PM
I'd definitely add Animate Objects. Otherwise this looks really good! I'd recommend Melf's Minute Meteors over Fireball as its a 50% increase in damage spread over a minimum of 3 rounds. It takes a bonus action after the first so you can use your action for other things at that point.

Ill definetely look minute meteors up! but as I said I was told Animate Objects isnt that great because it doesnt do magic damage and loads of stuff are resistent to non magic damage. What do you think?

Asmotherion
2018-05-31, 05:06 PM
I'd never skip Alter Self. Huge utility and Versality, in and out of combat.

Blink, Mirror Image and Blur (optionally, if you don't have any better default use for your Concentration) are amazing self Buffs. They can even make an effective Gish out of you, if you so choose.

Speaking of Gishiness, how's that Dex working out for you? If it's not bad, an other great spell for you is Shadow Blade. Use together with Booming Blade or Green-Flame for great results. Plus Dex gives you a better AC, so it's a Win-Win.

Magic Initiate or Ritual caster can each give you the Find Familiar Spell, aka access to a Familiar Companion. You may not gain access to a Pseudodragon or Imp the Chain Sorlocks get, but stay with me: You can Twin your Dragon's Breath on a Familiar, and double your effective fire-power. Also, on subsequent turns, you can quicken spells normally, since Dragon's Breath is an ongoing effect of a spell, you're not casting a spell on that turn (aka, no need to limit yourself to quickening cantrips). This means you're able to pack loads of AoE damage, and be amazing at it.

If not somehow proficient with any Armor, and not Dragonic Sorcerer, DO NOT skip Mage Armor. Otherwise, no need to waste a Precious Spell Known for it.

Cantrips? Trust me, a trustworthy Cantrips Known list is at least as important as a good spell list, if not more. It's what you juggle with during your bonus action spells (for example when you quicken), and/or when you're out of spell slots.

You probably want a good ranged Cantrip on a Sorcerer, followed either by a good melee, and utility, or more of each, depending if you'll gish or not. Don't overlook utility, you can aford it after all (you're a sorcerer, remember? You have more cantrips than all other classes).

As a Sorcerer, I usually go for spells that give me loads of Versality, and can be usefull in many situations. I want my list of Spells Known to be the counterpart of Spells to what a Bard is towards Skills: A Jack of All Arcana, who might be the best for specific situations (for example dealing damage, or negating enemy spells). Or you might want to be the Teleport Guy. Cool. Just don't neglect on other important spells, unless you have an other Arcane Magic Guy in your group who can back you up, in which case, disreguard everything and go crazy about whatever you want to take.

Azther
2018-05-31, 05:13 PM
I'd never skip Alter Self. Huge utility and Versality, in and out of combat.

Blink, Mirror Image and Blur (optionally, if you don't have any better default use for your Concentration) are amazing self Buffs. They can even make an effective Gish out of you, if you so choose.

Speaking of Gishiness, how's that Dex working out for you? If it's not bad, an other great spell for you is Shadow Blade. Use together with Booming Blade or Green-Flame for great results. Plus Dex gives you a better AC, so it's a Win-Win.

Magic Initiate or Ritual caster can each give you the Find Familiar Spell, aka access to a Familiar Companion. You may not gain access to a Pseudodragon or Imp the Chain Sorlocks get, but stay with me: You can Twin your Dragon's Breath on a Familiar, and double your effective fire-power. Also, on subsequent turns, you can quicken spells normally, since Dragon's Breath is an ongoing effect of a spell, you're not casting a spell on that turn (aka, no need to limit yourself to quickening cantrips). This means you're able to pack loads of AoE damage, and be amazing at it.

If not somehow proficient with any Armor, and not Dragonic Sorcerer, DO NOT skip Mage Armor. Otherwise, no need to waste a Precious Spell Known for it.

Cantrips? Trust me, a trustworthy Cantrips Known list is at least as important as a good spell list, if not more. It's what you juggle with during your bonus action spells (for example when you quicken), and/or when you're out of spell slots.

You probably want a good ranged Cantrip on a Sorcerer, followed either by a good melee, and utility, or more of each, depending if you'll gish or not. Don't overlook utility, you can aford it after all (you're a sorcerer, remember? You have more cantrips than all other classes).

As a Sorcerer, I usually go for spells that give me loads of Versality, and can be usefull in many situations. I want my list of Spells Known to be the counterpart of Spells to what a Bard is towards Skills: A Jack of All Arcana, who might be the best for specific situations (for example dealing damage, or negating enemy spells). Or you might want to be the Teleport Guy. Cool. Just don't neglect on other important spells, unless you have an other Arcane Magic Guy in your group who can back you up, in which case, disreguard everything and go crazy about whatever you want to take.

Alter Self is amazing but it's one of those things I had to sacrifice for the sorcerer having such a short spells known list.

Out of those I like Mirror Image the most but I decided to cut it since most of my buffs would come in the form of twinned greater invisibility and I wouldn't want to waste a turn and a spell known on Mirror Image.

I love the Magic Initiate idea! But I'd have to sacrifice a few ASI's for that so there's that.

I'm Draconic Sorcerer both for the mechanic and flavor ( i love dragons )

Already updated the list with all my cantrips!

ImproperJustice
2018-05-31, 06:26 PM
As a blaster you might get more mileage by switching quicken for empower.
At low levels, quicken is costly. While empowere is good at only 1 sp at low levels and really impressive with late game spells where lots of dice are in play.

Even an upper level firebolt at 3d10 could go from 3pts of damage to 20+ with one sp.

Azther
2018-05-31, 06:52 PM
As a blaster you might get more mileage by switching quicken for empower.
At low levels, quicken is costly. While empowere is good at only 1 sp at low levels and really impressive with late game spells where lots of dice are in play.

Even an upper level firebolt at 3d10 could go from 3pts of damage to 20+ with one sp.

I personally think Quickened is better for both damage (casting another fire bolt or fireball) or simply so I can still have my action free to do something else. I believe the extra damage from empowered isn't that great, since rerolling has no guarantee of increasing the damage that much.

Azther
2018-05-31, 06:54 PM
I’d swap in Acid Splash & Chill Touch for Light & Ray of Frost. Acid Splash is the only damaging cantrip that doesn’t require you to see the target. Chill Touch prevents the regaining of HP even if they’re immune to necrotic. At higher levels, you’re going to want Teleport & Sending. I would swap out Heightened with Empowered as some baddies can choose to pass saves at higher levels. The Invisibilities are nice, but some creatures will have truesight, Dispel Magic exists, and you will register as magical on a baddie’s Detect Magic radar.

Teleport is great but since the spell list is very limited I have to make do with Dimension Door. Also one question: Can you dispel magic on a creature you can't see?

TheUser
2018-05-31, 07:22 PM
Pick up Absorb Elements for your level 1 slots; saves you a lot of HP in a pinch and scales up as enemies get stronger.

Drop Polymorph after level 11; there are no beasts powerful enough to shapeshift into for it to stay relevant and if you want crowd control then use Banish or Hypnotic Pattern (immolate doesn't work with polymorph the way you think it does anymore; go check the errata and xanathar's changes to immolate).

Hypnotic Pattern gets really good after level 9 when your save DC goes up to 17 I highly recommend it.

Drop Misty Step if you have Dimension Door; you can only cast cantrips the turn you use a Misty Step; you're better off dashing and using the sorcery points from a level 2 slot to quicken a spell out anyway.

You also want Globe of Invulnerability; it's absolutely incredible for winning magic duels because even if a spell is scaled up to a higher slot it doesn't pass through it, you need to use an actual higher level spell. It saves a tonne on spell slots you would normally use for dispel magic and counterspell.

Teleport was mentioned and it's incredible especially with subtle spell.

If you took quicken/heighten then you should try Enervate, it's really nice for the self healing it gives and with quicken you can slip in other spells while healing.

I'm also a huge fan of Sickening Radiance and or Wall of Fire. Wall of fire is a very precise spell to aim around your allies easily and sickening radiance makes grappling and holding enemies inside have a high success rate (fail one save and you have disadvantage on all future grapple checks).

Azther
2018-05-31, 07:48 PM
Pick up Absorb Elements for your level 1 slots; saves you a lot of HP in a pinch and scales up as enemies get stronger.

Drop Polymorph after level 11; there are no beasts powerful enough to shapeshift into for it to stay relevant and if you want crowd control then use Banish or Hypnotic Pattern (immolate doesn't work with polymorph the way you think it does anymore; go check the errata and xanathar's changes to immolate).

Hypnotic Pattern gets really good after level 9 when your save DC goes up to 17 I highly recommend it.

Drop Misty Step if you have Dimension Door; you can only cast cantrips the turn you use a Misty Step; you're better off dashing and using the sorcery points from a level 2 slot to quicken a spell out anyway.

You also want Globe of Invulnerability; it's absolutely incredible for winning magic duels because even if a spell is scaled up to a higher slot it doesn't pass through it, you need to use an actual higher level spell. It saves a tonne on spell slots you would normally use for dispel magic and counterspell.

Teleport was mentioned and it's incredible especially with subtle spell.

If you took quicken/heighten then you should try Enervate, it's really nice for the self healing it gives and with quicken you can slip in other spells while healing.

I'm also a huge fan of Sickening Radiance and or Wall of Fire. Wall of fire is a very precise spell to aim around your allies easily and sickening radiance makes grappling and holding enemies inside have a high success rate (fail one save and you have disadvantage on all future grapple checks).

I always forget about Absorb Elements because it only became a Sorcerer Spell with Xanathar's but it's pretty good.

I had polymorph mostly as a debuff (transform someone on a Snail and they automatically fail a Disintegrate or Immolation dex save, or just fly and drop the snail from a thousand feet and have it take 20d6 fall damage) and utility (transform yourself or the rogue into sparrows for scouting or save a whole party from falling to their deaths by transforming two of the players into giant eagles)

Wow I had never thought about the Misty Step one. Great idea!

But it also is a 6th level spell and I can only cast it like once or maybe twice a day and I would have to sacrifice one of the very few spells I know. Which one do you recommend?

Also, Teleport would require me to sacrifice another spell. Recomendations?

Enervate sounds cool, if not thematically apropriate for this specific character

i wanted Wall of Fire but then again: limited spells known

TheUser
2018-05-31, 07:55 PM
I always forget about Absorb Elements because it only became a Sorcerer Spell with Xanathar's but it's pretty good.

I had polymorph mostly as a debuff (transform someone on a Snail and they automatically fail a Disintegrate or Immolation dex save, or just fly and drop the snail from a thousand feet and have it take 20d6 fall damage) and utility (transform yourself or the rogue into sparrows for scouting or save a whole party from falling to their deaths by transforming two of the players into giant eagles)

Wow I had never thought about the Misty Step one. Great idea!

But it also is a 6th level spell and I can only cast it like once or maybe twice a day and I would have to sacrifice one of the very few spells I know. Which one do you recommend?

Also, Teleport would require me to sacrifice another spell. Recomendations?

Enervate sounds cool, if not thematically apropriate for this specific character

i wanted Wall of Fire but then again: limited spells known

Get rid of invisibility and dragon's breath.

If you have greater invisibility and invisibility I hardly see the point. Invis lasting an hour isn't really all that useful if you can't cast spells or interact with objects and if you can teleport 400ft being invisible for a minute with greater invisibility is more than long enough.

You have to get so close for dragon's breath to be useful, being close is not where you want to be as a sorcerer and casting it on allies is bad because they have better things to do with their action.

Azther
2018-05-31, 09:21 PM
Get rid of invisibility and dragon's breath.

If you have greater invisibility and invisibility I hardly see the point. Invis lasting an hour isn't really all that useful if you can't cast spells or interact with objects and if you can teleport 400ft being invisible for a minute with greater invisibility is more than long enough.

You have to get so close for dragon's breath to be useful, being close is not where you want to be as a sorcerer and casting it on allies is bad because they have better things to do with their action.

Invisibility is great for scouting, and as a sorcerer being able to twin it is amazing.

The Range on Dragon's Breath isn't such a problem if you can fly and Draconic Sorcerers get free flight on level 14. Also being able to choose a type of damage is amazing and covers the Draconic Sorcerer's weakness of getting stuck in a single damage type. Combined with a Familiar, Dragon's Breath is way too good to give up.

ImproperJustice
2018-05-31, 10:11 PM
I personally think Quickened is better for both damage (casting another fire bolt or fireball) or simply so I can still have my action free to do something else. I believe the extra damage from empowered isn't that great, since rerolling has no guarantee of increasing the damage that much.

Even with a quickened spell you can only follow up with another cantrip.

That’s two sp for cantrip damage.

For one sp, I have seen a 19pt fireball blossom into a 38 point fireball.
Or a low end cone of cold become something terrifying, but I get that your mileage may vary.

I may be biased running a primarily blaster sorc with minor utility myself.

On the flip side, your overall spell selection is pretty good. It reads like a greatest hits album and you should be able to enjoy a wide variety of roles.

Azther
2018-05-31, 10:16 PM
Even with a quickened spell you can only follow up with another cantrip.

That’s two sp for cantrip damage.

For one sp, I have seen a 19pt fireball blossom into a 38 point fireball.
Or a low end cone of cold become something terrifying, but I get that your mileage may vary.

I may be biased running a primarily blaster sorc with minor utility myself.

On the flip side, your overall spell selection is pretty good. It reads like a greatest hits album and you should be able to enjoy a wide variety of roles.

Thanks! I may be biased too because I love quickened and I think being able to rely on your cantrips is great for saving up resources. But thanks again for the input!

Asmotherion
2018-06-01, 06:23 AM
Hey there! I'm theorycrafting a Sorcerer and I decided on my spell selection. He's a Half-Elf Draconic Sorcerer (Fire) Lvl 20, Metamagics are Twin, Quickened, Heightened and Subtle, focused on blasting with some utility. Could you guys tell me if it's a decent list?

Cantrips
Fire Bolt
Shocking Grasp
Ray of Frost
Prestidigitation
Light
Minor Illusion

Lvl 1
Shield

Lvl 2
Invisibility
Misty Step
Suggestion
Dragon's Breath

Lvl 3
Fireball
Dispel Magic
Counterspell

Lvl 4
Polymorph
Greater Invisibility
Dimension Door

Lvl 5
Hold Person
Telekinesis
Immolation

Lvl 9
Wish

Wile it's a respectable list, overall, here is a new cupple of tips, following up from yesterday:

A) Don't have more than one spell that does exactly the same thing. If you do, make sure it's for a specific purpose in your build.

B) As I said before, try to get as much Versality as possible.

With this criteria, here are some changes I would personally make in your spell list, from a pure optimisation standpoint.

1) Cantrips: Remove Ray of frost, and get Chill Touch. More rare damage type. Even if used against Undead, you get some benefit. As a Half-Elf, you also have no use for the Light Cantrip; Worst Case scenario, light a torch via prestidigitation for the night-blind humans of the Party.

2) Invisibility and Greater Invisibility; Both have their uses, but you're no Wizard. Forget the Lesser Version when you get the Greater Version, unless your party does not intend to use it for combat. (Keep in mind this is what I would do, not a "you should absolutelly do this" suggestion")

3) Misty step is indeed great, and so is Dimension Door, but with Xanathar's there are some real jewels in the domain of "short-mid range teleportation spells". Be sure you're not missing out. You may find one that covers your needs of both spells, killing two birds with one stone. Just saying. Thunder Step pops to mind for example.

4) Polymorph is a great spell. I just want to point out that it's limited to beast forms (unlike it's 3.5 counterpart). Many people make that mistake. Wile you can do great things with it, it's more limited than you thing, and less of an "auto-pick" than back in 3.5

5) Hold Monster (I'll asume that's the one you meant, since it's listed as a 5th level spell) and Telekinesis have more or less the Same role in Combat. One is Incredibly more Versalite, the other comes with mechanical benefits, but can end with a save. I'd say keep Telekinesis (you know, the one with the largest duration, which you can repeat even if the target gets freed from, and can use for other stuff as well). I get you want to cover the off chance that something can wrestle your telekinesis, but you're no Wizard for having the right spell for each scenario. Better get a Wall of Stone spell (more versalite, stops things from attacking you like Hold Monster, but can also be used for many other things as well).

6) Fireball and Immolation. You have Dragon's Breath. You Role Play A Dragon. I am tempted to say Dragon's Breath is Enough. However, if you really want an other AoE that's worth your taking, take Meteor Swarm. Immolation is fun, but you already have Dragon's Breath. If you use Dragon't Breath with Higher spell slots, it can deal a lot of damage. Twining it, doubles the Damage. That's how Dragons Burn things. :P Even Fireball is kinda optional, but I understand the urge to take it as an all-time classic.

That's more or less how I'd go about it.

That said, it's not a bad pick. You're not stuck with dead picks or trap options, and thus I think you can enjoy the character.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-06-01, 09:50 AM
Ill definetely look minute meteors up! but as I said I was told Animate Objects isnt that great because it doesnt do magic damage and loads of stuff are resistent to non magic damage. What do you think?

I'd say it's still worth it. If you're fighting something with resistance just don't use it. In every other situation, carry 10 poisoned daggers or even vials of poison/some plant that's poisonous to the touch.

You now have 10 creatures with: Tiny - HP: 20, AC: 18, Attack: +8 to hit, 1d4 + 4 damage, Str: 4, Dex: 18
AND they all do poison damage in addition to this.

Azther
2018-06-01, 04:42 PM
Wile it's a respectable list, overall, here is a new cupple of tips, following up from yesterday:

A) Don't have more than one spell that does exactly the same thing. If you do, make sure it's for a specific purpose in your build.

B) As I said before, try to get as much Versality as possible.

With this criteria, here are some changes I would personally make in your spell list, from a pure optimisation standpoint.

1) Cantrips: Remove Ray of frost, and get Chill Touch. More rare damage type. Even if used against Undead, you get some benefit. As a Half-Elf, you also have no use for the Light Cantrip; Worst Case scenario, light a torch via prestidigitation for the night-blind humans of the Party.

2) Invisibility and Greater Invisibility; Both have their uses, but you're no Wizard. Forget the Lesser Version when you get the Greater Version, unless your party does not intend to use it for combat. (Keep in mind this is what I would do, not a "you should absolutelly do this" suggestion")

3) Misty step is indeed great, and so is Dimension Door, but with Xanathar's there are some real jewels in the domain of "short-mid range teleportation spells". Be sure you're not missing out. You may find one that covers your needs of both spells, killing two birds with one stone. Just saying. Thunder Step pops to mind for example.

4) Polymorph is a great spell. I just want to point out that it's limited to beast forms (unlike it's 3.5 counterpart). Many people make that mistake. Wile you can do great things with it, it's more limited than you thing, and less of an "auto-pick" than back in 3.5

5) Hold Monster (I'll asume that's the one you meant, since it's listed as a 5th level spell) and Telekinesis have more or less the Same role in Combat. One is Incredibly more Versalite, the other comes with mechanical benefits, but can end with a save. I'd say keep Telekinesis (you know, the one with the largest duration, which you can repeat even if the target gets freed from, and can use for other stuff as well). I get you want to cover the off chance that something can wrestle your telekinesis, but you're no Wizard for having the right spell for each scenario. Better get a Wall of Stone spell (more versalite, stops things from attacking you like Hold Monster, but can also be used for many other things as well).

6) Fireball and Immolation. You have Dragon's Breath. You Role Play A Dragon. I am tempted to say Dragon's Breath is Enough. However, if you really want an other AoE that's worth your taking, take Meteor Swarm. Immolation is fun, but you already have Dragon's Breath. If you use Dragon't Breath with Higher spell slots, it can deal a lot of damage. Twining it, doubles the Damage. That's how Dragons Burn things. :P Even Fireball is kinda optional, but I understand the urge to take it as an all-time classic.

That's more or less how I'd go about it.

That said, it's not a bad pick. You're not stuck with dead picks or trap options, and thus I think you can enjoy the character.

I REALLY wanted Meteor Swarm but everybody says Wish is better and it's not like Level 17 games happen all the time for me to decide for sure :/

Loved the tip on Hold Person and Chill Touch!

Still on the fence about giving up on Invisibility and Polymorph though, they are both SO useful

Azther
2018-06-01, 04:44 PM
Yes, though like most spells, you do need a clear path to the target.

well that's a bummer

TheUser
2018-06-01, 07:10 PM
I think you also need to consider that sorcerer spell lists evolve over time;
every time you gain a level you can swap out a spell for a new one. The list isn't fixed, it adapts slowly over time, so while you might have misty step between levels 4-7 when you get enough level 4 slots dimension door becomes an ample replacement.

Juantanamo
2018-06-02, 02:33 PM
Just finished HotDQ/RoT at level 15 Sorc. I got good mileage out of those cantrips you picked. I think you can't go wrong with those.

Of all the spells on that list, Shield got the most use. Misty Step saved me once, but otherwise was underwhelming. Never had utility use for it. Invisibility, Fireball, Dispel, Counterspell are all golden. Polymorph had a few shining moments, but not as many as I'd hoped.

You might consider Haste. I got a ton of usage out of twinned haste on the team fighter. If your team is a bit low on DPS and you're cranking out tons of AOE damage and making them feel bad, you can take the spotlight off your power by being a team player with that spell. +2 AC is never bad and I'd sometimes use my action for Dodge and my haste action to Disengage or chuck a dagger. Meanwhile the fighter is plowing through enemy ranks. Slow is just as good but I had to trade it out.

Of course this all is dependent on campaign/DM but you have a good list there.

djreynolds
2018-06-02, 04:24 PM
Question? Does hold monster trump hold person?

Meaning can I use hold monster versus everyone, and hold person only versus humanoids?

And must second, banishment and hypnotic wave these are very good spells

But otherwise, it looks great

Asmotherion
2018-06-02, 04:41 PM
I REALLY wanted Meteor Swarm but everybody says Wish is better and it's not like Level 17 games happen all the time for me to decide for sure :/

Loved the tip on Hold Person and Chill Touch!

Still on the fence about giving up on Invisibility and Polymorph though, they are both SO useful

Always get Wish. I'm merelly suggesting getting both.

If there's something you really want, go for it. Just because I think something is better, doesn't mean you have to listen to me. Invisibility and Polymorph aren't exactly trap options either... In Invisibility's case, I just think you could get something else to cover more versality in your "toolbox" since you already have the greater version, but you're perfectly fine keeping it too.

Azther
2018-06-02, 06:34 PM
Just finished HotDQ/RoT at level 15 Sorc. I got good mileage out of those cantrips you picked. I think you can't go wrong with those.

Of all the spells on that list, Shield got the most use. Misty Step saved me once, but otherwise was underwhelming. Never had utility use for it. Invisibility, Fireball, Dispel, Counterspell are all golden. Polymorph had a few shining moments, but not as many as I'd hoped.

You might consider Haste. I got a ton of usage out of twinned haste on the team fighter. If your team is a bit low on DPS and you're cranking out tons of AOE damage and making them feel bad, you can take the spotlight off your power by being a team player with that spell. +2 AC is never bad and I'd sometimes use my action for Dodge and my haste action to Disengage or chuck a dagger. Meanwhile the fighter is plowing through enemy ranks. Slow is just as good but I had to trade it out.

Of course this all is dependent on campaign/DM but you have a good list there.

Thanks! Haste is pretty cool but I prefer buffing the party with Greater Invisibility. It gives them advantage on all attacks and there's no exhaustion cost later.

Azther
2018-06-02, 06:39 PM
Question? Does hold monster trump hold person?

Meaning can I use hold monster versus everyone, and hold person only versus humanoids?

And must second, banishment and hypnotic wave these are very good spells

But otherwise, it looks great

Thanks!

About Hold Monster, yes that's how the spells work

I prefer removing someone of the fight with Polymorph instead of Banishment since it lasts longer and has more versatility. The question here is if Charisma saves are better than Wisdom saves?