PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Bunches o' feats

demonslayerelf
2018-05-31, 07:37 PM
I decided to make and revise tons of feats for 5e. I revised the ones I find most people saying are OP or UP, and I'm not really done yet, but whatever.

Here it is. (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJqM2urmf)

Feedback is always appreciated.

JNAProductions
2018-05-31, 08:40 PM
Arcane Equipment 100%, no ifs ands or buts, needs a duration. As written, it lasts forever right now.

And, unless the duration is one minute, it's overpowered. And even then... You're basically casting a better version of Magic Weapon-note that that spell is 2nd level, and therefore not normally available via Magic Initiate.

Defensive Duelist (Revised) is ridiculous as well. It's a bonus action Dodge-yes, slightly limited, but how often do you get more than five attacks against you in a round?

Fate And Fortune is INSANE. At level 4 (1, with VHuman) you get to, once per long rest, say "The Paladin/Rogue rolled a crit." Notice how that's the ROGUE'S CAPSTONE, and even then, the Rogue's Capstone is WEAKER THAN THAT.

Forged Pact is like Magic Initiate. Only a lot better. Fix that.

Why did you make Lucky MORE powerful? It's already one of the best!

Magical Resilience is like a 10th level Warlock Feature... Only better.

You made Magic Initiate stronger. Why? It was a great feat before.

Necromancer's Touch fails the bag of rats test, hard.

Spell Mastery isn't that bad on its own... But it's borked in combination with the Wizard's Spell Mastery. Fireball at-will, anyone? Or Slow?

Thuggish Fighter gives you Sneak Attack, but equal to (at level 5) and eventually better (at level 9) as a 3rd level Rogue. What Rogue wouldn't take this?

demonslayerelf
2018-06-01, 01:41 AM
Arcane Equipment 100%, no ifs ands or buts, needs a duration. As written, it lasts forever right now.
Fixed.

Defensive Duelist (Revised) is ridiculous as well. It's a bonus action Dodge-yes, slightly limited, but how often do you get more than five attacks against you in a round?
Whenever you're fighting 2-4 things, depending on the exact monster. Monsters going all the way down to the Giant Scorpion make 3 attacks, while most make 2 or more, ignoring legendary stuff. Also, that 20 dexterity probably isn't coming until at least 4th level, and then picking this feat up would push that further back regardless of how you look at it(V.Human wouldn't have 18 dex, other races have to wait until level 4 to take a feat). So until 8th-ish level, you either don't have the feat at all, or you get 3 or 4 attacks, which can easily be overcome by 2 creatures of almost any type.

Fate And Fortune is INSANE. At level 4 (1, with VHuman) you get to, once per long rest, say "The Paladin/Rogue rolled a crit." Notice how that's the ROGUE'S CAPSTONE, and even then, the Rogue's Capstone is WEAKER THAN THAT.
Yeah, I didn't really know what to do with this one :P I wanted it to be a bit different from Lucky, but I really couldn't think of how. (Edit: I entirely rewrote it after thinking on it a bit.)

Why did you make Lucky MORE powerful? It's already one of the best!
Honestly, I don't see it. I've seen it in play before, but I've never seen the awesomeness of it. Everybody hypes it up, and it can save you from a few nasty fails or crits, but just being a halfling or taking 2 levels of wizard is better. Not just at my tables, but on Critical Role, it reeeeaaally gets overhyped. Even maths-wise, it saves you from a nat-1(Halfling is better already) or an enemy's nat-20... Probably(19/20 times, at least), but it only adds a 4~ish to other rolls, using the maths for Advantage(Roll twice take the higher). Especially with how many rolls you're going to make in an adventuring day, upto 3 extra rerolls depending on your level really isn't the greatest thing.

Magical Resilience is like a 10th level Warlock Feature... Only better.
It's also only a bit better than Infernal Constitution, which itself is only a half-feat.

You made Magic Initiate stronger. Why? It was a great feat before.

Forged Pact is like Magic Initiate. Only a lot better. Fix that.
Problem; Magic initiate is god awful after the first few levels. On a martial, your standard attack will quickly outpace the 1st level spell you get, making this feat worthless, aside from the use of Cantrips... Which your attacks will also outpace, aside from special effects it may have, or the bonus range(Which is usually made irrelevant by the long bow). I've seen this one at play a lot, too, and by the time people hit level 7-ish(For no specific reason, it just always happens in that time), none of the spells get touched again, aside from the cantrips. Looking at the math, no first level spell beats 2 attacks with a longsword in terms of damage. Most do have multiple targets, however, but then lack the chance of crits. Beyond that threshold of 5th level, it's almost unjustifiable to use outside of very specific spells in very specific circumstances. I see Hex get used a lot, as one that supposedly overcomes that... But it only adds an average of 3.5 necrotic damage on attacks, and takes your concentration, and lasts for 1 minute. For a feat which could be used to take better things than a +3.5 damage on attacks for a short time once per day. Like just an overall +1 to hit and damage, also known as a standard ASI... Or SS or GWM or another good feat.

I dunno, maybe there's some massive exploit about this that I and nobody I saw using this got, but some explanation on why this doesn't suck beyond 5th level would be nice... And if the answer is cantrips, then the new feat and the revision both stand as to the original point of the Magic Initiate feat. That is, to give someone a small amount of magic, but an amount which never reaches the point of irrelevance. And if WotC originally intended the feat to become irrelevant over time, that's just bad design.

And if you don't trust my word or math or logic, I decided to also go through a ton of class guides for 5e. I only ever saw it in reference to cantrips, the first level spell was never even considered a part of it's viability, and it was only a recommended feat for Bards to take.

Necromancer's Touch fails the bag of rats test, hard.
I mean, you sure could carry those around, but you're gonna waste sooooooo much time and money on rats. Just to get 10 hit points, you need 10 rats and a straight minute of touching them with a death hand. I do see the point, though... I'll put a limit to the healing, I just dunno what it will be yet :P

Spell Mastery isn't that bad on its own... But it's borked in combination with the Wizard's Spell Mastery. Fireball at-will, anyone? Or Slow?
I tried to make the wording such that that can't happen. It's finicky, but it says "You may cast X at a lower level", not "X becomes a lower level".

Thuggish Fighter gives you Sneak Attack, but equal to (at level 5) and eventually better (at level 9) as a 3rd level Rogue. What Rogue wouldn't take this?
A rogue who would rather take something that helps them out more. A little bit of bonus damage is always nice, but there are other things that they could do to bring them nice things. For instance, un-revised(Or revised) magic initiate to get a familliar, Skulker to stay hidden, etc. It'll almost always win in terms of sheer damage, but there are other things you'll want, especially when rogues already have high damage. In my mind, the feat is more useful for wrestler types, since it consistently adds good damage when they're doing what they do.

JNAProductions
2018-06-01, 11:17 AM
Arcane Equipment is fine now. It's a powerful buff, but it lasts 5 turns tops, so it's okay.

I still think DD is too good-occasionally you'll get a bunch of similarly leveled foes who all have multiple dangerous attacks, but more often there's a limited number of truly dangerous attacks.

Not a fan of how Fate and Fortune works now. It's very, very similar to Lucky (the PHB feat), only better.

Gonna echo Lucky being too powerful again.

Infernal Constitution gives you resistance to two specific damage types. Magical Resilience gives you any two-could be bludgeoning and slashing, could be the far more common than cold fire... It's more powerful.

There's no massive exploit in Magic Initiate, but it's still a very valuable feat. It's not the best damage feat, but even a simple spell like Longstrider is very valuable.

And you didn't even address the issue with Forged Pact, namely, that it gets you a 5th freaking level spell for one feat. Even earlier on, like say ninth level, a third level spell is still too good for a single feat.

Just have Necromancer's Touch give THP for Chill Touch. Boom, bam, solved. Yes, you could (in theory) start every fight with some extra THP, but that's not a huge issue.

Spell Mastery... I still don't like it. Not sure how to fix, but yeah. Gut feeling.

Rogues get six ASIs. That's enough to (assuming you start with a 16 in Dex) max Dex, take Thuggish Fighter, take one other feat of your choice, and even potentially still max Con. No, it's far too good-especially on VHumans. I admit, it's probably not a HUGE issue at, say, level 20 (adding... 13 damage, on average, per attack, which Rogues normally deal about 45, for a nearly 30% increase... Yeah, still seems problematic) but at level 1? Instead of (at best) 1d8+3+1d6 for 11, you deal an extra 5, for 16 on average! That's nearly a 50% increase in damage!

Composer99
2018-06-01, 11:55 AM
Overall Remarks

Bullet Points. I don't know how annoying the homebrewery is to make bulleted lists (I've used it only once before), but for feats with many small benefits, such as the revised Athlete feat, you really could stand to use them yourself.

Nitpicks. There are a lot of cases where wording is off, or terminology is incorrect, and the like, where the content of the feat itself isn't a problem as such (at least in context). All the same, these could stand to be corrected, so I've made a point of bringing them up.

On to the feats themselves. I'm looking at the first page of them for now, and may (or may not) get to others, at which point I will update this post, or place a new reply, accordingly.

Adredaline Rush

A number of times per short rest equal to your proficiency modifier, you may make one additional attack as part of the attack action. You may attempt to use this more times by making a constitution saving throw. The DC is 15. If you succeed, you regain one use of this ability, and increase the DC by 5. If you fail, you increase the DC by 5. If you fail by more than 5, you gain a point of exhaustion, and increase the DC by 5.

You don't really need the whole thing about regaining uses of this ability. When you pick up this feat at 4th level (or 1st level for vHuman), you're getting 6 extra attacks per adventuring day, becoming 9 extra attacks at 5th level, 12 extra attacks at 9th level, 15 at 13th level, and 18 extra attacks at 17th level. That seems plenty. If you are in a group that has a habit of making a third short rest in a day... well. (That's assuming 2 short rests per adventuring day.)

Nitpicks: As written, you don't get your extra attacks back when you finish a long rest (you'll recall all features that recharge on a short rest also specify that they recharge on a long rest), and it's level of exhaustion.

Angry Warrior

You gain one use of the barbarian's Rage feature, and you may enter a rage as a bonus action, or as a reaction to taking damage. Additionally, a number of times per short rest equal to your strength modifier, you may roll an additional die of damage when damaging an enemy within 5 feet. If this die is part of a critical attack, it becomes a d12, regardless of the weapon or effect used.

This seems fine, apart from nitpicks.

Nitpicks: Abilities that you get that key off an ability modifier always specify "(minimum one [thing you get])". It's probably not strictly necessary because no one who's dumped an ability score is going to pick a class or feats that rely on that ability score, but it's invariably there all the same, just in case. Also, I assume critical attack is meant to be critical hit?

I would suggest rewording the extra damage part of this feature as follows:

In addition, when you hit a creature within 5 feet of you with a weapon attack, you may roll one additional weapon damage die. This additional weapon damage die becomes 1d12 on a critical hit. You may use this ability a number of times equal to your Strength modifier (minimum one time), recovering expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.

Now I come to think of it, this ability is actually a downgrade if you're using a greatsword or maul when you score a critical hit, because you're going from rolling a bonus 2d6 to a bonus d12, thus reducing your damage output. It's infrequent enough that it's probably not a problem, but it's worth pointing out.

Arcane Equipment

As an action on your turn, you may expend any spell slot while holding a weapon or wearing armor(You must choose one weapon or armor piece to effect, if applicable). This infuses magic into the weapon or armor, and this infusion lasts for a number of rounds equal to your spellcasting modifier.
If the magic is infused into a weapon, the weapon gains a bonus to attacking equal to half the spell level, rounding down, expended, and a bonus to damage equal to twice the spell level expended. This extra damage is force damage, and the weapon is considered magical, if it is not already.
If the magic is infused into armor, the AC granted by the armor increases by half the level of spell expended, rounding down. All damage suffered while wearing the armor is also reduced by twice the level of the spell, to a minimum of 1.

Most (if not all) abilities whose duration is meant to last through a combat have a duration of 1 minute, so I don't think you'd go wrong changing the duration of this ability to 1 minute.

Beyond that, this feat seems fine. Spending a 6th-level spell slot and a bonus action on magic weapon gets you a +3 weapon (so +3 to attack and damage rolls) for 1 hour with concentration, while spending the same slot and an action on this feat gets you a weapon with +3 to attack rolls and +12 to damage rolls for no more than 5 rounds. Likewise, spending a 2nd-level spell slot on magic weapon gets you a +1 weapon for 1 hour with concentration, while spending it on this feat gets you a weapon with +1 to attack rolls and +4 to damage rolls for no more than 5 rounds. I think you could go up to 1 minute without any concern. Sure, the damage modifiers (for both offence and defence) get silly as you spend high level spell slots, but I personally can't imagine choosing to use this feature over casting most spells of 4th level or higher.

I would recommend clarifying that you can enchant a weapon or suit of armour that you touch, meaning you could buff your party members.

Nitpicks: "Always round down unless otherwise specified" is one of the most general rules of the game, so you don't really need to include it. It's not a big a deal as some of the other nitpicks.

Athlete(Revised)

You gain climbing and swimming speeds equal to your movement speed, and expertise in athletics. Rising from and falling to prone costs you 5 feet of movement, you may crawl while only losing 1 foot for every 2 feet you crawl, and you may make a running leap after only 5 feet of movement. Lastly, you may add twice your proficiency modifier to the distance you may long jump with a running start, and half as much to the height of a running high jump.

This feat is fine, except for the sentence about being prone.

By default, dropping prone doesn't cost any of your movement, so this is a straight-up downgrade. Second, this actually makes it faster to crawl than to move normally, which doesn't make sense. Since you normally spend 1 extra foot of movement per foot crawled while prone, you should just be able to crawl while prone as if moving normally with this feat. Finally, the clause about making a running leap doesn't belong in the sentence about being prone and crawling.

Nitpicks: Expertise is a class feature allowing you to choose skills you're proficient in and get double your proficiency bonus when you use them. As written, this feature doesn't specify whether you're proficient with Athletics before giving you expertise, setting up a nonsensical situation. I would suggest rewording that clause and making it its own sentence/bullet point, like so:

If you're proficient with the Athletics skill, your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check using that skill proficiency.

Blood Magic

You may convert life force into pure magical energies. You may choose a spell slot to create, whose level is equal to or less than your proficiency modifier. In doing so, you roll a number of your own hit dice as irreducable damage. The number of hit dice rolled is equal to twice the spell's level. You may create any number of spell slots as an action, but you suffer damage for each slot created.

This feat has some problems:

Sorcerers and warlocks are the classes that get "bonus" spell slots (the sorcerer via sorcery points and the warlock via short rests), and they cap at 5th level. Several other class features manipulating spells (such as Evocation wizard's Overchannel) also caps at 5th level spells. IMO your spell slot creation using this feat should likewise cap at 5th level slots.
For what you get, the damage is too much, except in a specific circumstance which I will go into below. [2x] Hit Dice worth of damage for an xth-level spell slot? If you create a slot at the highest level you can already cast, you basically only have 2x-1 or 2x Hit Dice + Con/level hit points of your own. As such, at low and mid levels you're gambling when you create a spell slot, unless it's a low level slot relative to your highest-level spell slots. Unless that spell ends the encounter before everyone else takes a bunch of damage, the rest of the party won't thank you for needing all that extra healing.
It's not really a problem because you don't have the hit points for it, but strictly speaking, the way this feat is written a variant human taking this feat at 1st level could cast 2nd-level spells. You should be restricted to creating slots for spell levels you can already cast. (I was going to compare this to the sorcerer's Font of Magic feature, but it turns out that, other than capping the level of created slots at 5th level, Font of Magic doesn't actually restrict the level of slot you can create.)
Making it an action means you burn a turn (and your hit points) just creating the spell slot, and you either have to cast a bonus action spell using that slot, or wait until your next turn to cast the spell. Or, you can think ahead and create the slot, but that just burns healing resources ahead of time, when you can't be sure you won't need them later.
It could be abusable if you're in a situation where the party wants to stop for the day, or if you can convince the party and DM to have a "5 Minute Adventuring Day"™. If there's healing left over, you can blow through your hit points to generate a bunch of spell slots and use them on non-ritual spells that will make the party's life really easy, whether that's during the upcoming long rest or on the following day.

Nitpicks: "Irreducible" damage with no damage type isn't "a thing" in 5e. The closest equivalent is Overchannel's necrotic damage, which ignores resistance and immunity. If you want this feat to keep dealing hit point damage, I'd change the language of this term to match Overchannel's, with respect to damage type and how it nullifies damage-reduction features.

I would consider having this feat do the following, to avoid most of these problems:

You can use it as a bonus action to create a spell slot of up to 5th level, with the provision that you can't create a spell slot of a higher level than you already possess.
Choose one of the following ways to limit its use:

It deals necrotic damage that ignores resistance or immunity, and either has some other limit on how often you can use it (use it once, and you have to finish a long rest to use it again, say), or the damage scales up à la Overchannel each subsequent time you use it.
You expend Hit Dice equal to twice the level of the slot created, and you can't use this feat's ability if you don't have enough Hit Dice. (For instance, if you have 2 Hit Dice left, you can create a 1st-level slot, but not a slot of higher level.)
You expend Hit Dice equal to the level of the slot created and you have some other limit on use (such as needing to finish a long rest, or a short or long rest, after using this ability once).

Brawler(Replaces Grappler and Tavern Brawler)

When attacking with no weapon or an improvised weapon, you may choose to use your Brawler Die for the damage of the attack. Your brawler die is the lower of your proficiency die, and the proficiency die as though your strength modifier were your proficiency modifier. In addition, when grappling a creature, you may use your action to automatically inflict irreducable bludgeoning damage equal to your brawler die plus your strength modifier. Lastly, you may use your bonus action to grapple a creature if you took the Attack action on your turn.

The concept behind this feat is fine, but it has some problems when you dig into it.

It really shouldn't be as good as monk martial arts for improving unarmed strike damage. (It's actually slightly better if you ensure your Strength modifier and proficiency bonus keep pace with each other, because you can get 1d8 damage at 9th level, when monks don't until 11th level.) A fighter or barbarian subclass that lets you keep pace with monks for unarmed damage would be fine, but not a feat.
"Proficiency die" is a DMG variant rule (and a legacy from the playtest), and, to my knowledge, not commonly used. So not only do you have some fiddly language describing a fiddly "lower of" comparison, but you also have to go leaf through another rulebook (or look it up online) to know what you're doing.
The "crush your grappled victim" part of the feat is certainly flavourful and thematic. In most cases it would probably be a waste of an action, though. That said, I don't really like the idea of doing automatic damage, and "irreducible" is just grating wording (as per my nitpick for Blood Magic, above).

IMO, except for the unarmed strike/improvised weapon damage die, the feat needs some bumping up, with some features from the two feats it replaces that were stripped out:

Getting to restrain a creature you have grappled.
Being proficient with improvised weapons.

What I would suggest changing in the feat's text, in addition to adding in those two other bits, is:

Damage of your unarmed strikes increases to a d4 when you select the feat
When you reach 11th level, the damage of your unarmed strikes and improvised weapons increases to d6.
When you take the Attack action on your turn, you can forego one of your weapon attacks to crush a creature you have grappled (including a creature restrained using this feat). The target must succeed on a saving throw (I haven't settled on an ability score, but either Dex or Con seem the most sensible) or take bludgeoning damage as if you had hit it with an unarmed strike and scored a critical hit. This damage ignores resistance and immunity. The save DC is 8 + your Strength modifier + your proficiency bonus.

Note that overall I'm not sure this feat should let you deal bludgeoning damage that ignores resistance or immunity to non-magical attacks and damage.

Cat at Heart

You may sleep at random intervals during the day, and still get your full rest. If you take a short rest and sleep during this period, then you may remove 1/4 of the time required to gain the benefits of a long rest, and you may remove 1 point of exhaustion, as though you had finished a long rest. You may not reduce the time of a long rest to less than 1 hour in this way. While you are sleeping, you do not suffer any penalties to perception, and will wake up without issue in the face of danger, and you may make a stealth check and remain hidden during the entire rest. If a creature would take a surprise round against you while you slept, you instead gain one against them.
In addition, if you slept during your last short or long rest, you gain advantage on a number of athletics, acrobatics, investigation, sleight of hand, and stealth checks equal to your constitution modifier.

I can't say I like this feat. It just feels like it has too much going on. Speaking (as it were) as a cat person, overall, it also isn't particularly reminiscent of cats.

Cats (both house cats and large predatory cats) sleep most of a 24-hour day, so the idea that "catnapping" reduces your full rest requirements, time-wise, doesn't jive with what cats do.

The hiding while asleep thing actually strikes me as something anyone should be able to do with sufficient preparation. It also doesn't really bring cats to mind. Certainly no cat I've ever owned made a habit of hiding while asleep, and while predatory cats are good at hiding from prey while on the hunt, most of them don't make much effort to hide while sleeping. They might go up into trees for safety, but that's not the same thing.

Let's break this down a bit:

Reducing your long rest requirements by 2 hours for every hour you sleep is probably fine, although it doesn't really get you much if your party doesn't all have this feat.
I would keep the removing one level of exhaustion when you finish a short rest, assuming you slept for at least half of it, but with the restriction that you can benefit from this ability once, and then you have to finish a long rest to benefit from it again (much like Arcane Recovery).
Not having penalties to Perception while sleeping is fine.
The clause "will wake up without issue in the face of danger" makes no sense given that there is no mechanical effect given. Without a game-mechanic effect, it doesn't really mean anything. Do you mean that you can't be surprised while sleeping? That's... probably fine, though it seems an odd ability to grant when you can still be surprised while conscious, unless you've already got the Alertness feat. Really, neutralising disadvantage on Perception checks when unconscious is enough.
I've already discussed the hiding while sleeping thing.
There's no such thing as a surprise round in 5e. You also probably shouldn't automatically surprise opponents: instead, you should probably need to win a contest against their Perception, or have them succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be surprised.
The ability granting advantage on certain skill checks for sleeping, as worded, penalises elves, who don't sleep. It should be worded "When you finish a short or long rest, [...]". The ability itself is probably fine.

Overall, this feat seems like it would be a good follow-up of the Alertness feat, but unless you already have Alertness, it seems like a weird feat to get. I think it needs a complete re-tooling. Without the whole cat thing.

Class Act

You gain a number of Bardic Inspiration dice, which are d6's if you don't already possess this feature, equal to your charisma modifier. You may use your bonus action to target an ally or an enemy. If they may see and hear you, you grant an ally this die as inspiration, or befuddle an enemy's next course of action. The next time the targetted enemy makes a d20 roll, decrease that roll by the inspiration die.

This feat basically gives you a whole class feature and just about gives you a subclass feature (Lore bard's Cutting Words). A variant human bard gets double their bardic inspiration dice right off the bat.

Also, you haven't specified when the feature recharges. I assume on a long rest, since that's when bards get their inspiration dice back until 5th level, but since this isn't actually the Bardic Inspiration feature, it should be spelled out explicitly, much the same way that Magic Initiate and Martial Adept, say, spell out when you recover your 1st-level spell and Superiority Dice uses, respectively. (By not spelling it out, that suggests bards with this feat recover these dice on a short or long rest courtesy of Font of Inspiration at 5th level.)

I would redo this feat so that it more closely resembles Martial Adept in terms of wording and overall effect. One bardic inspiration die is frankly enough.

Chakra Healing

You gain a number of points of Ki equal to your wisdom modifier, which you get back at the end of a short rest, and gain the ability to cast the following spells with your ki. You may cast them at higher levels by spending additional ki, and you may only expend upto your proficiency modifier in Ki per spell. All spells require only Somatic components, may not be Counterspelled, and possess a range of Touch.
Spare the Dying(Cantrip), Cure Wounds(1 Ki), Lesser Restoration(2 Ki), Greater Restoration(5 Ki)

Nitpicks: You get your ki points back at the end of a short or long rest. Also, all these spells already have a range of Touch.

I would dispense with the ability to cast these spells at a higher level by spending more ki.

You only get up to 5 ki (magic items that can increase your Wisdom past 20 notwithstanding), so there's not much point, unless you are a monk. 5 ki is too much, for reasons I will discuss later, but it's insufficient for boosting spells as is.
Adding the ability to cast these spells at higher levels makes it seem like it should be a feature of a new monk subclass, instead of a feat anyone can use.

Greater restoration is a 5th level spell, which nobody normally can use until 9th level, and has a 100 gp cost per casting. This feat lets you cast it for free, maybe 3-4 times a day if you have to (depending on how many short rests you get), and you can get it as early as 4th level, as long as you rolled for ability scores and got an 18 before racial adjustments. (I don't think it's possible for variant humans to get a 20 Wisdom at 1st level, so at least you can't do that.) No. Just no.

With variant human, it's sketchy giving out lesser restoration without a level requirement, but not as bad. Still, I'd gatekeep access to lesser restoration with a level requirement.

Also, I think you ought to scale back the number of ki points you get. As it is, if you're a monk with a Wisdom of 16 at 4th level, your ki point total increases from 4 to 7, or a 75% increase. Even at higher levels, it's a big deal: at, say, 20th level with a Wisdom of 20, you're going from 20 to 25 ki points, which is a 25% increase. Giving out a flat 2 ki points is still really strong for monks, and you're still casting these spells many times in a day, especially if you have nothing better to do with your ki points.

I would also recommend rewording this feat so that it more closely matches the Way of Shadow's Shadow Arts feature, which is the closest match to what this feat does, something like:

If you already have ki points, you gain 2 more; otherwise, you have 2 ki points. As an action, you can spend 1 ki point to cast cure wounds or 2 ki points, if you are at least 3rd level, to cast lesser restoration. When casting these spells using ki points, you need only provide somatic components. Additionally, you gain the spare the dying cantrip if you don't already know it. A ki point is expended when you use it. You regain your expended ki points when you finish a short or long rest.

Just to weigh in on the Magic Initiate back-and-forth, IMO if you're, say, a martial character picking up this feat, you ought not to be using it for a 1st-level spell that uses your action to deal damage, and if optimisation guides are assessing it on the assumption that you are, then that's a flaw in their assessment, not in the feat as it appears in the PHB.

If you want a spell to use in combat, you get something that doesn't require your action, and ideally doesn't require a saving throw, unless you've got a 14 in the relevant ability score. If you want a spell with a casting time of 1 action, make sure it's either out-of-combat utility or brings something to combat that you just can't replicate with your class features, skill proficiencies, or other feats. (Or it's something that has a duration and doesn't compete with your actions on subsequent turns.)

There are plenty of cantrips and spells that fit the bill, especially with Xanathar's Guide spells, in addition to longstrider as mentioned by JNAProductions.

demonslayerelf
2018-06-01, 03:47 PM
I still think DD is too good-occasionally you'll get a bunch of similarly leveled foes who all have multiple dangerous attacks, but more often there's a limited number of truly dangerous attacks.
I mean... Not really. Your most iconic monster, Mr Dragon, gets several small physical attacks, then their screw-you-breath... Which is unaffected by Dodge anyway. I'm looking through right now, and almost all of the demons and devils make 3+ attacks, random smatterings of other creatures make 3 attacks... Apparently dragons almost always have 3, but their tail isn't apart of it(Never noticed that before), almost everything from Drow to Giants and beyond are making 2 or more, with the occasional 1. So... Eh? It might be a little much, but probably not too much. Especially with a ton of creatures having spells or other effects that don't need an attack.

Infernal Constitution gives you resistance to two specific damage types. Magical Resilience gives you any two-could be bludgeoning and slashing, could be the far more common than cold fire... It's more powerful.
It was not supposed to include the weapon damages. Fixed.

There's no massive exploit in Magic Initiate, but it's still a very valuable feat. It's not the best damage feat, but even a simple spell like Longstrider is very valuable.

And you didn't even address the issue with Forged Pact, namely, that it gets you a 5th freaking level spell for one feat. Even earlier on, like say ninth level, a third level spell is still too good for a single feat.
So, Longstrider is literally the worst thing you can pick with this feat, on account of Mobile existing. Permanent Longstrider, right there, and it doesn't waste an action to cast. The two cantrips don't really save it at that point. I retain my point that the current one is basically useless past 5th level.

And on Pact Magic; Yep. You get a 5th level slot... At 17th level. What's the best 5th level spell? Cone of Cold? Swift Quiver? Good spells. Game-breaking at 17th level? Hell no.
And a 3rd level slot at 9th level... I fail to see the strength here. Fireball at 9th level isn't nearly as good when people bust out CoC, and since you're getting it from a feat, it either doesn't matter(If you're a full caster you're getting more and better spells already), slightly accelerates your spell learning(Basically just for the Paladin, since Rangers aren't spec'd for charisma casting), or you're probably not going to have the best stats for it(How many Fighters and Rogues have good charisma? It's not uncommon, but it's definitely not the norm, especially if you've gone AT/EK, since Intelligence is your thing).

Just have Necromancer's Touch give THP for Chill Touch. Boom, bam, solved. Yes, you could (in theory) start every fight with some extra THP, but that's not a huge issue.
That's what I was thinking, but I was also considering doing a thing will Chill Touch is that it heals upto halfway before giving temp. hit points upto the caster's constitution score(As the maximum... You get it). That'd probably work better, though.

Spell Mastery... I still don't like it. Not sure how to fix, but yeah. Gut feeling.
It's one of the ones I'm a little wary of, but I can't see a huge problem with it, either. I think it's skirting that edge of "Barely too powerful" and "Not quite too powerful".

Rogues get six ASIs. That's enough to (assuming you start with a 16 in Dex) max Dex, take Thuggish Fighter, take one other feat of your choice, and even potentially still max Con. No, it's far too good-especially on VHumans. I admit, it's probably not a HUGE issue at, say, level 20 (adding... 13 damage, on average, per attack, which Rogues normally deal about 45, for a nearly 30% increase... Yeah, still seems problematic) but at level 1? Instead of (at best) 1d8+3+1d6 for 11, you deal an extra 5, for 16 on average! That's nearly a 50% increase in damage!
It might be a little much, aye... I might do a single proficiency die(1d4-1d12)... That seems too small, though, really. I'm probably going to expand the core feat a bit and reduce the sneak attack to one die.

Just a point on VHuman; It's widely considered a pretty OP race choice, and it causes a lot of problems without needing my additions, so I don't think it can be used to make a good point here. This applies to basically everything, not just on this thread... So... Yeah.

Gorum
2018-06-02, 06:34 AM
The entry for Great Weapon Master seems to be incompl

Also, human rogue with Martial Adept all day, everyday and twice on the week-end. Precision Strike, Goading Attack, Riposte are all great choices.

Ogrillian
2018-06-05, 04:26 AM
Iron Fist
Damage dealt by your natural weapons and unarmed attacks is doubled against objects and structures, ignores resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage, and ignores the Damage Threshold of large objects. You may consider your unarmed attacks as possessing the Light and Versatile properties. {{Lastly, your unarmed attacks possess the damage die of a monk whose level is twice your proficiency modifier.}}

Iron fist needs to be severely scaled down on damage to enemies, if someone waits till past LVL10 to get this; a monk at twice your proficiency level would be Epic Class and they have no need to even take the monk class to outshine their UnArmed Damage. I’d say that their UnArmed increases to1d4 and raise by 1 die if already effected by a feat (such as Brawler) or class (ie monk)

Amdy_vill
2018-06-05, 07:53 AM
I decided to make and revise tons of feats for 5e. I revised the ones I find most people saying are OP or UP, and I'm not really done yet, but whatever.

Here it is. (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJqM2urmf)

Feedback is always appreciated.
Adredaline Rush: this looks a bit powerful for paladins. a paladin could make this save most of the time. i think putting a cap on it would be the best fix. maybe say you can only get 2-3 extra attacks out of it in one turn. you could also buff the dc a bit. maybe a 17 or 18. that would mean a paladin could have some problems getting 4-6 extra attacks. but out side of its interaction with paladins i see no other problems. i like it when you can improve your action economy for a risk of damaging your self.

demonslayerelf
2018-06-05, 08:20 AM
The entry for Great Weapon Master seems to be incompl

Also, human rogue with Martial Adept all day, everyday and twice on the week-end. Precision Strike, Goading Attack, Riposte are all great choices.
Fixed GWM, also... Not sure how great any of those would actually be. Riposte doesn't give the rogue anything special, nor does Precision, or goading. Feinting and Trip would be best, as those give advantage and therefore sneak attack.

Iron Fist
Damage dealt by your natural weapons and unarmed attacks is doubled against objects and structures, ignores resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage, and ignores the Damage Threshold of large objects. You may consider your unarmed attacks as possessing the Light and Versatile properties. {{Lastly, your unarmed attacks possess the damage die of a monk whose level is twice your proficiency modifier.}}

Iron fist needs to be severely scaled down on damage to enemies, if someone waits till past LVL10 to get this; a monk at twice your proficiency level would be Epic Class and they have no need to even take the monk class to outshine their UnArmed Damage. I’d say that their UnArmed increases to1d4 and raise by 1 die if already effected by a feat (such as Brawler) or class (ie monk)
I think you fail to understand proficiency modifiers. At 10th level, your proficiency modifier is 4, so you have the damage die of an 8th level monk, or 1d6. And, even if their unarmed damage was the size of a greataxe, they get to make at most 1 attack as a bonus action, without their strength modifier(As they can't use dexterity for these attacks). A monk's major damage bonus from unarmed attacks comes from Flurry of Blows,which you don't get. You get upto a 1d8 damage die with strength-based punches and kicks, with a single off-hand attack with no strength modifier added to the damage(Without the fighting style, that is).

Adredaline Rush: this looks a bit powerful for paladins. a paladin could make this save most of the time. i think putting a cap on it would be the best fix. maybe say you can only get 2-3 extra attacks out of it in one turn. you could also buff the dc a bit. maybe a 17 or 18. that would mean a paladin could have some problems getting 4-6 extra attacks. but out side of its interaction with paladins i see no other problems. i like it when you can improve your action economy for a risk of damaging your self.
The intention was for it to only work once/attack action, so a creature wouldn't be able to make an infinite number of attacks as part of the same action. I made this more clear in the feat. Should be fine now.

Amdy_vill
2018-06-05, 08:39 AM
The intention was for it to only work once/attack action, so a creature wouldn't be able to make an infinite number of attacks as part of the same action. I made this more clear in the feat. Should be fine now.

I see what you were getting at now. this is more balance while a paladin could still get a lot more use out of it i do not think that it would be a problem. if i read it right they get one extra attack per turn for up to 6 turn(level 20 proficiency bonus ) and then if they use it any more they must make a con save or get exhaustion

demonslayerelf
2018-06-05, 08:47 AM
I see what you were getting at now. this is more balance while a paladin could still get a lot more use out of it i do not think that it would be a problem. if i read it right they get one extra attack per turn for up to 6 turn(level 20 proficiency bonus ) and then if they use it any more they must make a con save or get exhaustion
More or less. A fighter can actually get it twice on a round where they use Action Surge(Since I link it to the attack action), but for everybody else yeah. I see Barbarians actually getting the most mileage out of it, since they tend to have awesome con saves and powerful attacks, but a Paladin would also get some good use from it, too. Glad you got it now :P

Ogrillian
2018-06-05, 08:53 AM
Sorry was half awake when I read that mistook modifier for level, great idea then

Gorum
2018-06-05, 01:07 PM
Fixed GWM, also... Not sure how great any of those would actually be. Riposte doesn't give the rogue anything special, nor does Precision, or goading. Feinting and Trip would be best, as those give advantage and therefore sneak attack.

By the way, I LOOOOVE the buff on that feat, as I love the Battlemaster. To the point my rogue was a Fighter 3 character. I doubt that stuff can be considered OP, but here's the reasons for those choices.

Riposte is an attack that don't occur on your turn. As sneak attack is 1/turn, and a turn is the set of actions of a player, Riposte allows for a second sneak attack between your turns.

A round represents about 6 seconds in the game world. During a round, each participant in a battle takes a turn. The order of turns is determined at the beginning of a combat encounter, when everyone rolls initiative. Once everyone has taken a turn, the fight continues to the next round if neither side has defeated the other.

Sneak Attack (...) Once per turn, (Note that if it was meant to be once per turn you have, the term "round" would've been used) you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.

Precision Strike is to be stacked with Sharpshooter and the Assassin subclass. For a 4th level human rogue, surprise round means, on a hit (to which Precision Strike helps), 2x[Weapon] + 2x[Sneak Attack] + [Dex Modifiers] + [Enhancement Modifier] + 10.

Easily 6d6+13.

Goading Attack can be applied on ranged weapon attacks. This means you take a potshot on the melee monstrosity, get the extra damage and it either have disadvantage on the Fighter / Barbarian / Paladin (or better, the wizard he managed to single out) or its risks one or more opportunity attack.

Now imagine if your fighter has Sentinel. Poor, poor wyvern. (https://www.5thsrd.org/gamemaster_rules/monsters/wyvern/)

demonslayerelf
2018-06-05, 06:20 PM
Riposte is an attack that don't occur on your turn. As sneak attack is 1/turn, and a turn is the set of actions of a player, Riposte allows for a second sneak attack between your turns.
I understand the exploit here, but Sentinel would be easier to use for this, since it can give several off-turn attacks, and doesn't have a limited number of uses. Riposte is nice, but again, not the best.

Precision Strike is to be stacked with Sharpshooter and the Assassin subclass. For a 4th level human rogue, surprise round means, on a hit (to which Precision Strike helps), 2x[Weapon] + 2x[Sneak Attack] + [Dex Modifiers] + [Enhancement Modifier] + 10.
You probably don't need it against most creatures, since attacking with surprise would give advantage anyway, but yeah, sure.

Goading Attack can be applied on ranged weapon attacks. This means you take a potshot on the melee monstrosity, get the extra damage and it either have disadvantage on the Fighter / Barbarian / Paladin (or better, the wizard he managed to single out) or its risks one or more opportunity attack.
This one's a classic strat with Battlemaster, and it doesn't really matter who does it, but yeah, works pretty nice for life-saving.

I never said I didn't get the points, just that they weren't the best points individually... Except Goading Attack, since dnd has absolutely awful defense/tanking abilities. Owell.

Gorum
2018-06-05, 07:06 PM
@Demonslayerelf
I don't want to derail this thread about something that could be done without your suggested homebrewed feats, so I'm going to PM you.

Amdy_vill
2018-06-06, 06:37 AM
so luck looks a lot more powerful then in the base game. in the base game luck is already powerful. you have added more uses of it witch takes it from a yes that is a great feat but i might take a different one to this is the best feat i will take it. 3 uses of lucks is plenty. i am playing a 19th level paladin with lucky and if i had more uses i would be broken. we have a wizard and warlock with it as well and they would also overpower most challenges with 6 uses of lucky.

demonslayerelf
2018-06-06, 10:26 AM
so luck looks a lot more powerful then in the base game. in the base game luck is already powerful. you have added more uses of it witch takes it from a yes that is a great feat but i might take a different one to this is the best feat i will take it. 3 uses of lucks is plenty. i am playing a 19th level paladin with lucky and if i had more uses i would be broken. we have a wizard and warlock with it as well and they would also overpower most challenges with 6 uses of lucky.

I genuinely don't understand why everyone is saying it's so powerful. I've had a character with it, seen other characters at the table with it, AND watched in action nearly every week in Season 1 of Critical Role. It's literally never been that good. Always nice, but never amazing like everyone is saying it is. I legitimately need someone to explain it to me.

Amdy_vill
2018-06-06, 12:04 PM
I genuinely don't understand why everyone is saying it's so powerful. I've had a character with it, seen other characters at the table with it, AND watched in action nearly every week in Season 1 of Critical Role. It's literally never been that good. Always nice, but never amazing like everyone is saying it is. I legitimately need someone to explain it to me.

its not that its great its that its good for everyone. most feats are only good for some players but lucky is good from everyone. this is what make lucky great. there is not barrier to enter. it took me a long time of studying the mechanics of the game before i realized why it was so good. adding more uses would take it from good for every one to great for every one.

edit: think of it like this a war hammer is great for that guy who knows how to use a war hammer. but a box that turns into most tool even those most of the time those tools are sub par is much better. some time you are luck and get the great tool. and even those sub par tools help. this is the strength of luck. it is the broken wrench that sometime does five times the work.

Eric Diaz
2018-06-06, 01:26 PM
I love Quick Wit, been trying to do something similar with many abilities - "valorous" to use charisma instead of wisdom, for example, maybe something for strength too.

demonslayerelf
2018-06-06, 07:57 PM
its not that its great its that its good for everyone. most feats are only good for some players but lucky is good from everyone. this is what make lucky great. there is not barrier to enter. it took me a long time of studying the mechanics of the game before i realized why it was so good. adding more uses would take it from good for every one to great for every one.

edit: think of it like this a war hammer is great for that guy who knows how to use a war hammer. but a box that turns into most tool even those most of the time those tools are sub par is much better. some time you are luck and get the great tool. and even those sub par tools help. this is the strength of luck. it is the broken wrench that sometime does five times the work.

That makes literally no sense. It's good for everybody, but so is the Mobile feat(Movement is pretty important). And you're basically comparing a swiss army knife to a warhammer. I'll agree to the swiss army knife usually being more useful in a lot of scenarios. However, when you get the swiss army knife 3 times per day, and the warhammer is ALWAYS an option for the other guy, and he can use it better than you can... Not so much.

Imagine, if you will, two identical adventurers. One has Lucky, the other has a standard ASI for dex/casting stat/whatever they need. The guy with lucky gets the three rerolls, of course, where the ASI gets you a +1 bonus to Save DC's, Skills, Saving Throws, possibly AC, HP, Attack Bonus, etc. The two adventurers have the exact same skill set, but one is getting a +1 bonus to hit, possibly to damage, to save DC's, +1 AC, etc. The other gets to try to not screw himself over upto 3 times(And to that extent, Portent is better because you know what the roll is).

They can do the exact same things, but one of them does a bit better all the time(In relation to the ASI he took, ovc, Int isn't helping to punch someone), the other has a chance of doing better 3 times per day. Neither has a new ability, but the ASI adventurer is objectively better than his counterpart. To quote SAO Abridged; "My numbers are bigger than yours!" The fact that they're bigger means that you actually COULD do things the Lucky one can't. You could grapple stronger creatures, take fewer hits, deal bigger blows to bigger monsters. The lucky one gets to try to not **** up or get ****ed up by a monster 3 times, and that's not even a garuntee.

Amdy_vill
2018-06-08, 07:01 AM
That makes literally no sense. It's good for everybody, but so is the Mobile feat(Movement is pretty important). And you're basically comparing a swiss army knife to a warhammer. I'll agree to the swiss army knife usually being more useful in a lot of scenarios. However, when you get the swiss army knife 3 times per day, and the warhammer is ALWAYS an option for the other guy, and he can use it better than you can... Not so much.

Imagine, if you will, two identical adventurers. One has Lucky, the other has a standard ASI for dex/casting stat/whatever they need. The guy with lucky gets the three rerolls, of course, where the ASI gets you a +1 bonus to Save DC's, Skills, Saving Throws, possibly AC, HP, Attack Bonus, etc. The two adventurers have the exact same skill set, but one is getting a +1 bonus to hit, possibly to damage, to save DC's, +1 AC, etc. The other gets to try to not screw himself over upto 3 times(And to that extent, Portent is better because you know what the roll is).

They can do the exact same things, but one of them does a bit better all the time(In relation to the ASI he took, ovc, Int isn't helping to punch someone), the other has a chance of doing better 3 times per day. Neither has a new ability, but the ASI adventurer is objectively better than his counterpart. To quote SAO Abridged; "My numbers are bigger than yours!" The fact that they're bigger means that you actually COULD do things the Lucky one can't. You could grapple stronger creatures, take fewer hits, deal bigger blows to bigger monsters. The lucky one gets to try to not **** up or get ****ed up by a monster 3 times, and that's not even a garuntee.

look it comes down to dice manipulation is powerful and is supposed to be limited to magic. that mean luck bends or brakes a rule depending on how you look at it. it need a hard limit. luck has saved my characters life dozens of times.

Blackbando
2018-06-08, 07:19 AM
luck has saved my characters life dozens of times.

A feat being useful, what a pain.

demonslayerelf
2018-06-08, 09:31 PM
I'm done arguing about this one, that's not what this thread is for. There are massive variations in how useful people think this actually is, to the point that crash actually made a thread talking about this exact topic a while back. Argue there if you want.