PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing an archetype for a dwarven monk

Dankus Memakus
2018-05-31, 08:25 PM
I've never played a monk and I love dwarves so I'd like to kinda combine the two and play a hill dwarf monk in my next session. However I'm torn over the archetype. I either wanna do drunken master because....well dwarves and booze... or kensai so I can use a battle axe one of the more classic dwarven weapons and be more warrior like. So I'm here for your opinion. Which archetype is the best/most fun? Am I missing one that I should absolutely play? (I have all the books so I can handle all suggestions)

MadBear
2018-05-31, 08:48 PM
I'm a fan of drunken master. One thing Dwarves lack is mobility, and this gives you a bit more of that. It's not huge, but that extra 10 ft of movement can allow you to either:

a. Attack and pull back out of their movement range forcing them to use their action to dash.
b. Attack, and move through the front liners to the back line of the enemy
c. Attack a character who already acted this round, and then move to a free enemy who now will eat an opportunity attack if they leave your range.

That + the already silly monk speed just seems to fit perfectly.

Grear Bylls
2018-05-31, 08:58 PM
Drunken Master. Didn't even read OP. Just... Drunken Master

DnDegenerates
2018-05-31, 09:09 PM
Open hand. Roleplay as a barbarian.

Also, what they said. Roleplay as a drunken brawler or drunken barbarian type.

Look up pwent. Be an unarmored version of him. Drink the famous gutbuster.

zminseo
2018-05-31, 09:17 PM
I don't think you should really play monk for the sole reason that you have never played one before. If you want to be more warrior-like, you can just play a fighter :) In D&D 5e, your class is a definition of the abilities you have, not the other way around.
But if you really want to play a dwarven monk, maybe you can do a str-based grappler build making good use of the dwarf's strength bonus. Pick up the grappler feat and pin your opponent. Try to disarm them while punching them in the face, they can't disarm you because you use unarmed strikes.
The best archetype for this would be in my opinion Open Hand because you have a chance of knocking enemies prone with Flurry of Blows, then have advantage on your second attack that you use as a grapple.

Dankus Memakus
2018-05-31, 09:49 PM
I don't think you should really play monk for the sole reason that you have never played one before. If you want to be more warrior-like, you can just play a fighter :) In D&D 5e, your class is a definition of the abilities you have, not the other way around.
But if you really want to play a dwarven monk, maybe you can do a str-based grappler build making good use of the dwarf's strength bonus. Pick up the grappler feat and pin your opponent. Try to disarm them while punching them in the face, they can't disarm you because you use unarmed strikes.
The best archetype for this would be in my opinion Open Hand because you have a chance of knocking enemies prone with Flurry of Blows, then have advantage on your second attack that you use as a grapple.

I wanna play a hill dwarf so I'd get a wisdom bonus not strength and I've played literally every other class besides sorcerer... plus monks seem cool so I wanna try it. I have a very good grasp of the game so I wanna attempt to try something new :)

zminseo
2018-05-31, 10:03 PM
I wanna play a hill dwarf so I'd get a wisdom bonus not strength and I've played literally every other class besides sorcerer... plus monks seem cool so I wanna try it. I have a very good grasp of the game so I wanna attempt to try something new :)

Oh sorry didn't see that.

Well, If you are willing to not get a bonus to your main stat, Hill Dwarf is actually pretty good. The con bonus and extra hp make up for the Monk's d8 hit dice and let you be a front-line fighter. I would recommend taking Drunken Master because of Drunkard's luck, if you are going to be taking hits a lot then advantage on saving throws could be useful.

Dankus Memakus
2018-05-31, 10:24 PM
Oh sorry didn't see that.

Well, If you are willing to not get a bonus to your main stat, Hill Dwarf is actually pretty good. The con bonus and extra hp make up for the Monk's d8 hit dice and let you be a front-line fighter. I would recommend taking Drunken Master because of Drunkard's luck, if you are going to be taking hits a lot then advantage on saving throws could be useful.

Okay that sounds great I appreciate the feedback there cuz i was worried hill dwarf would be subpar

Mercurias
2018-05-31, 11:19 PM
A drunken master hill dwarf just entered my list of characters to either play or turn into awesome NPCs the party will breeze past and not notice.

AttilatheYeon
2018-06-01, 12:02 AM
They're both good builds. My only advice at level 4 get Dwarfen Toughness or whatever the feat is. Keep a couple Ki points in reserve, when you're low on HPs use your parient defense to dodge as a bonus action. This also lets you use a hit die to heal. This works amazing with open hand monks who also have a heal.

Dankus Memakus
2018-06-01, 01:50 AM
A drunken master hill dwarf just entered my list of characters to either play or turn into awesome NPCs the party will breeze past and not notice.

I know right he sounds fun and cool but also somewhat loveable. The wise old bearded drunk in the corner.

Unoriginal
2018-06-01, 04:18 AM
DWARVES AND ALE

Dwarves have a reputation for being able to consume great quantities of ale. Although drinking plays a significant role in their culture, it is a mistake to assume that intoxication has the same effect on them as it does on humans.

Humans drink to forget, while dwarves drink to remember. A dwarf deep in his cups is overcome by powerful, vivid memories of his past, especially events tied to lost kin, great deeds, or monumental failures. When dwarves drink in a group, this effect spreads among them. The clan might joyfully sing of triumph as they reminisce over the defeat of a dragon, or weep as they recall the death of a beloved elder.

In contrast to clan gatherings, dwarves who drink alone invariably become morose and sullen-when separated from their clan mates, they can't avoid dwelling on unpleasant memories. It's the wise traveler who leaves alone the sole, drunken dwarf in the corner.

Mordenkainen's Tome of Foe on dwarves and beer.

Appleheart
2018-06-01, 06:08 AM
Drunken Master is obviously a great thematic choice, as so many have called out.

I'd like to add a Battleaxe-wielding Kensai to the mix though, and with throwing axes as the second kensai weapon. Go for the Slayer vibe from WHF, mohawk and all.

Dankus Memakus
2018-06-01, 07:13 AM
Drunken Master is obviously a great thematic choice, as so many have called out.

I'd like to add a Battleaxe-wielding Kensai to the mix though, and with throwing axes as the second kensai weapon. Go for the Slayer vibe from WHF, mohawk and all.

Oh my god that is super cool. Never thought of a slayer being a monk....

Arkhios
2018-06-01, 09:42 AM
Well, If you are willing to not get a bonus to your main stat

A racial +2 modifier to a class' main ability score is unneccessary optimization. You're not "gimped" if you start with 15 or even 14. By 4th level, which you reach very fast, you can already get to 16, which is enough for the rest of your career. More than that is just a bonus.

GlenSmash!
2018-06-01, 10:43 AM
I see 3 good options, which means my post will probably not be helpful.

Drunken Master: The obvious. You're a Dwarf. You love to drink Ale and Spirits and fight.

Kensei: You're a Dwarf. You wield an Axe and eschew armor because you are awesome.

Open Hand: You're a dwarf. You love to brawl and want to be the best at it.

Dankus Memakus
2018-06-01, 03:43 PM
I see 3 good options, which means my post will probably not be helpful.

Drunken Master: The obvious. You're a Dwarf. You love to drink Ale and Spirits and fight.

Kensei: You're a Dwarf. You wield an Axe and eschew armor because you are awesome.

Open Hand: You're a dwarf. You love to brawl and want to be the best at it.

I agree. Completely. Open hand doesn't seem as cool tho besides the level 17 ability

GlenSmash!
2018-06-01, 04:59 PM
I agree. Completely. Open hand doesn't seem as cool tho besides the level 17 ability

The level 3 ability to knock prone and thus give yourself advantage on attacks, or shove people out windows and stuff (neither of which are limited by size, like a lot of other similar abilities) while still doing damage with flurry of blows is pretty neat.

And yeah Quivering Palm is sweet.

djreynolds
2018-06-01, 06:46 PM
Open hand is nice.

Brute archetype fighter is an idea with tavern brawler.... you could pretend to be a monk. Very similar damage with brute force.

The mobile feat really opens it up.

Good luck

Speely
2018-06-01, 07:58 PM
1) Kensei if you wanna use thematically dwarven weapons and still have solid, versatile weapon combat potency. Open with a heavy crossbow and close with a battleaxe two-handed.

2) Drunken Master because it fits thematically and mechanically. Playing a more sullen, morose drunk than traditional dwarves could be cool, too. I imagine a dour, drunk, dwarf staggering through combat and using that redirect attack ability to make an enemy hit their ally while saying "friends are only good for hurting you" in the most comically over-the-top, grimdark way. Could be a fun and funny character, plus they can monk-zerk against groups at later levels.

3: An Open Hand brawler would just be a tough pugilist who gives no ****s. Don't let the unassuming features fool you... OH monks are great controllers and their self heal is nice. Really solid, but might be thematically diff than what you want.

I would do the Drunken Master of those options. Seems like a good RP opportunity to play a bad drunk who is also a badass. Very complimentary features as well.

KeilFX
2018-06-01, 08:23 PM
Kensei *and* Drunken Master could --on the surface-- work well when roleplaying a hardy Dwarf. I could see a Battleaxe/Warhammer Kensi monk making great use of Fell Handed, on top of the usual ones Monks and Dwarves care about (Sentinel, Mobile, Dwarven Fortitude, and Grudge Bearer (which stacks nicely with Fell Handed in certain cases). Otherwise +2WIS / +2DEX ASIs are your best friend. Ultimately I think that the more feats you can afford to take, the more I would lean towards Kensi (though straight ASIs would make Drinking Game monk the better option).

Now go my stumpy friend, and flurry all your blows~~