View Full Version : Sonomancer

Sto
2018-05-31, 11:25 PM
Greetings all!

I would like help building a character that specializes in sonic damage. All non setting specific books are allowed; fewer sources make it an easier build though.

I'm looking for equal parts flavor and optimization, this is a build I want to be able to play at some point, and the faster it can come online, the better.

I'm not sure how to even start with this, because I don't tend to pre build characters.

BowStreetRunner
2018-05-31, 11:41 PM
I'm not sure how to even start with this...
With a Bard, I would think. A quick survey of spells that have sonic effects shows Bard is the most common caster class able to cast them. A Bard is flavor-wise just the most obvious starting point for a build like this, and there are quite a few magic items that fit thematically and are designed for bards as well.

SangoProduction
2018-05-31, 11:45 PM
3.5? PF?

IF PF, you can use Spheres of Power's Elementalist, and just use Sonic type destructive blasts. Maybe splash a bit in to Warp(teleportation) and Telekinesis spheres to round out the concept.

Psyren
2018-05-31, 11:51 PM
Make a Psion - most of the energy powers can be made to do sonic damage. And because powers don't have verbal components, you can do any vocalization you want (e.g. a banshee-like scream, or nothing at all) while manifesting them.

For thematic PrCs, I would go Anarchic Initiate or Crystal Master.

PrismCat21
2018-06-01, 08:58 AM
A couple levels in Pyrokineticist wouldn't hurt. Switch Fire to Sonic.
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e

mabriss lethe
2018-06-01, 01:31 PM
A couple levels in Pyrokineticist wouldn't hurt. Switch Fire to Sonic.
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e

Seconding. This is definitely the quick and dirty way to go. Fairly easy entry, hardly any bookkeeping, respectable and reliable damage output. You won't do much else besides smack things around with sonic damage, but if that's what you're looking to do anyway...

zlefin
2018-06-01, 03:32 PM
you can use energy substitution pretty early.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#energySubstitution

ShurikVch
2018-06-01, 06:40 PM
Some (probably useful) stuff:

Prestige Classes:
Master of the Secret Sound (Dragon #297): 2nd-level CF Intensify Frequency adds +1d6 sonic damage to any damaging spell
Dragon Mystic (Dragon #296): 1st-level CF Draconic Spell Power - +1d6 damage to any damaging spell (type of damage is the same as your Breath Weapon); Draconic Spell Focus (3rd-level CF) - +2 save DC for your Enchantment spells and spells which deal same type of damage as your BW //Some Dragons have sonic BW
Thrall of Dagon (Dragon #349): Voice of Rapture adds +1 DC to language-dependent spells; Song of Dagon - sonic spell inflicts additional Wis damage (equal to spell's level), usable 1/day + 1 for every odd class level

Also, it could be good if DM allow to use Elemental Savant PrC for sonic
And if it's allowed, try to use 3.0 version of it - because it had 9/10 CL progression (the "missing" level is 10th, so it's possible to just not take it), and it's Elemental Focus gave better numbers (and at earlier level) than 3.5 Energy Focus

DrMotives
2018-06-01, 07:18 PM
Some (probably useful) stuff:

Dragon Mystic (Dragon #296): 1st-level CF Draconic Spell Power - +1d6 damage to any damaging spell (type of damage is the same as your Breath Weapon); Draconic Spell Focus (3rd-level CF) - +2 save DC for your Enchantment spells and spells which deal same type of damage as your BW //Some Dragons have sonic BW

Some of those sonic dragons for heritage that come to mind are sapphire, emerald, howling, elysium, pyroclastic, & crested sea serpent. That represents a fairly wide variety of alignments & personality types too.