PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Any ways for an Elf Rogue to get Detect Magic as a feat?

justiceforall
2018-06-01, 12:51 AM
Hi playground,

Looking for a way to get Detect Magic as a feat for an Elf Rogue. I have found Shape Soulmeld: Disenchanters Mask, are there any other ways?

CMagnum
2018-06-01, 12:59 AM
Magical training feat

Saintheart
2018-06-01, 01:01 AM
Highborn Drow.

What? It's elven.

Dragon Magazine: Dragon Sight (#311) Detect Magic 3/day

justiceforall
2018-06-01, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the fast response guys - and in response to the Highborn Drow feat my character is in fact a Lesser Drow so I would qualify?

However! I obviously was not specific enough (my own fault) - I want a continuous or at will detect magic... if one exists. That is why I like the Shape Soulmeld version. Any other possibilities?

Kelb_Panthera
2018-06-01, 03:56 AM
Is there any reason shape soulmeld isn't exactly what you're looking for?

You can just take vatic gaze if you can wrangle an arcane caster level of 9 or better.

There's always a good ol' warlock dip to save you a feat. Just sayin'.

One Step Two
2018-06-01, 06:39 AM
A lesser Drow can still take Highborn Drow as a feat, another alternative is if you want to spend some GP instead of a feat, a scroll of Permancy loaded with the 900xp to make Detect Magic permanent on you costs 5062.5 gp.

Jowgen
2018-06-01, 07:57 AM
If items be fine, Dragon 350 "Bazaar of the Bizzare" has Thaumatuscope. Spyglass that detects magic auras as per detect magic. Also gives a +2 bonus on spellcraft to identify. Only costs 1000 gp, which is insane considering that is what a regular spyglass costs anyways.

BowStreetRunner
2018-06-01, 08:18 AM
You can just take vatic gaze if you can wrangle an arcane caster level of 9 or better.
I always found it interesting that Vatic Gaze requires arcane caster level of 9 while Magic Sensitive can give you at-will detect magic by caster level 5 arcane or divine. The nuanced differences between how each functions don't seem to justify such a significant difference in CL.

Crake
2018-06-01, 09:37 AM
Magical training feat

Magical training seconded. Cast spells like a sorcerer, pick up detect magic and acid splash for a no save, no SR, ranged touch attack that you can sneak attack with.

skunk3
2018-06-01, 10:18 AM
The magical training feat is a region-specific feat, if that matters. I'd say take a Warlock dip. Warlocks actually make great dips for Rogues. You could go with 2 levels for Detect Magic + 2 least invocations or you could go 4 levels for Detect Magic, Deceive Item, and and 3 least invocations... plus DR1/cold iron.

Troacctid
2018-06-01, 10:53 AM
I always found it interesting that Vatic Gaze requires arcane caster level of 9 while Magic Sensitive can give you at-will detect magic by caster level 5 arcane or divine. The nuanced differences between how each functions don't seem to justify such a significant difference in CL.
Being able to tell whether someone is a spellcaster and what their highest slot is can be very valuable in an intrigue campaign. Vatic Gaze is also easier to qualify for for classes like Spellthief.

The magical training feat is a region-specific feat, if that matters. I'd say take a Warlock dip. Warlocks actually make great dips for Rogues. You could go with 2 levels for Detect Magic + 2 least invocations or you could go 4 levels for Detect Magic, Deceive Item, and and 3 least invocations... plus DR1/cold iron.
Totemist, Paladin, Witchborn Binder, or Knight of the Weave can also get it at will at level 1.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-06-01, 02:03 PM

In addition to what Troacctid said, vatic gaze is available to warlocks and doesn't effectively eat a spell slot to keep active.

Psyren
2018-06-01, 02:15 PM
Pathfinder Unchained Rogue can pick up at-will Detect Magic via the Minor Magic talent

Troacctid
2018-06-01, 02:25 PM
In addition to what Troacctid said, vatic gaze is available to warlocks and doesn't effectively eat a spell slot to keep active.
Well...yes, but Warlocks get it at will at 2nd level already, so, eh. Works for Dragonfire Adepts though.

Duke of Urrel
2018-06-01, 03:40 PM
What about the Insightful feat? It's in COMPLETE ARCANE. There are no prerequisites, if I recall correctly.

justiceforall
2018-06-01, 06:42 PM
Learned a lot of additional possibilities thanks guys, but Shape Soulmeld is still winning because its always on and works on a straight rogue.

I'll keep the others ready for the Spellthief who replaces this guy if he dies.