PDA

View Full Version : What would True Sight reveal?

SangoProduction
2018-06-01, 05:06 AM
What if the creature is a type of changeling that literally has no "native form". It can only ever exist mimicking something else. It even mimics its mother when born.

If you cast True Sight and looked on such a creature, what would be seen? Or would it become invisible by virtue of it looking like its undisguised self - nothing?

ryu
2018-06-01, 05:15 AM
Featureless mono-colored blob shaped like its current form. True sight sees through supernatural disguises. This gives you the knowledge that whatever its current look is is fake, but doesn't remove correct physical knowledge. A quick knowledge check OR spellcraft to understand your own spell with an obvious bonus should even let you know why you're seeing what you're seeing.

Psyren
2018-06-01, 02:13 PM
Do you mean the 3.5 changeling? Because they are humanoids, so you would get at least that shape. It would be no different than if they walked into an antimagic field.

Crake
2018-06-01, 02:41 PM
What if the creature is a type of changeling that literally has no "native form". It can only ever exist mimicking something else. It even mimics its mother when born.

If you cast True Sight and looked on such a creature, what would be seen? Or would it become invisible by virtue of it looking like its undisguised self - nothing?

If this is some homebrew creature, then there is no RAW answer. If what you are looking for is homebrew solutions however, then I'd ask if the creature has any sort of form limitations at all? If so, have it be a vague shape within the creature's limits. If it has no limits, then have a look at the phasm or mimic as a baseline.

Necroticplague
2018-06-01, 03:40 PM
What are they when they walk into an AMF?

Remuko
2018-06-01, 08:36 PM
Why are people acting like Changelings dont have a true form? They explicitly do? Is this about some sort of weird homebrew one? I've played them before and remembered this but looked it up just to be sure.

Changelings can look like anyone at any given time though they do have a true form. Their natural look can be scary to some due to their lack of detail and distinctive features. Their skin tone is always pale, the darkest tone some have is a light grey. They have large white eyes but have no pupils and are circled by thick black rings. Their noses are small and subtle with no detail.

The changeling's body structures are slender, even more so than elves and border on being frail. Their hair colour is most commonly a light shade of silver followed by platinum and blonde. In rarer cases their hair can be pale shades of green, pink and blue. Also similar to elves the changeling lack body and facial hair.

Necroticplague
2018-06-01, 09:06 PM
Why are people acting like Changelings dont have a true form? They explicitly do? Is this about some sort of weird homebrew one? I've played them before and remembered this but looked it up just to be sure.

Becauser the OP said 'a type of changeling with no true form'. Presumably, this would be some manner of homebrew creature.

Though frankly, I agree that the concept doesn't even make sense. In order to have a false form, you'd have to have an actual form under it. So it shouldn't be the same SU ability to adopt false forms the changeling, it should be more like the EX ability mimics have. Mimics don't have false forms: whatever they transform, they are genuinely that thing (thus, True Sight does nothing vs a mimic).

Remuko
2018-06-02, 12:39 PM
Becauser the OP said 'a type of changeling with no true form'. Presumably, this would be some manner of homebrew creature.

Though frankly, I agree that the concept doesn't even make sense. In order to have a false form, you'd have to have an actual form under it. So it shouldn't be the same SU ability to adopt false forms the changeling, it should be more like the EX ability mimics have. Mimics don't have false forms: whatever they transform, they are genuinely that thing (thus, True Sight does nothing vs a mimic).

yeah thats my thought as well. if they dont have a "true form" then they are always in their "true form" and true sight would do nothing id guess.

SangoProduction
2018-06-02, 10:55 PM

that makes sense