PDA

View Full Version : Norse Mythology Pen and Paper - How to trade with Mimir?

Smiting Duck
2018-06-01, 05:25 AM
So, a friend of me is the gm of a norse mythology pen and paper where i am a player. All players are vikings who died in a battle and were reborn in valhalla and now are on a quest to stop ragnarök. My character is an old seer/prophet of odin who is also the granddad of two of the other players. In our adventure we met mimir, a really wise floating head, who has a well. Everybody who drinks from the well gets wiser, but has to give mimir something for drinking (Odin lost his eye this way). My Character already traded an arm (didnt use it much anyway) and Mimir now made an offer for a big amount of water from the well (three times what i got for the arm) for my sight. Do you have either a good idea how to play a blind character and not be completely useless or a better deal for mimir (if you now norse mythology)?

LibraryOgre
2018-06-01, 10:09 PM
Offer him something of value to him. Right now, he's taking things of value to you... your arm, your sight. If you want a better deal, you have to give him something of value to him.

TeChameleon
2018-06-02, 12:37 AM
Well, the first question to spring to mind for me is to wonder if the system you're playing in has a Blindsight/Blindfighting/Tremorsense equivalent. If so, a quick feat pickup and you're back on top of things.

Otherwise, if I'm remembering my Norse myths correctly, wisdom/knowledge more often than not translated directly into power- power of a magical nature. Perhaps your sage/seer cannot see the physical, but can see the wyrd of all things?

Also... for that matter, Odin traded a single eye for enough wisdom to become king of the gods. Losing his sight entirely would (theoretically?) have your aged einherji catapulted to beyond All-Father status...

Beleriphon
2018-06-03, 09:45 AM
Also... for that matter, Odin traded a single eye for enough wisdom to become king of the gods. Losing his sight entirely would (theoretically?) have your aged einherji catapulted to beyond All-Father status...

Odin was still Aesir, well above the even an uncommon slain warrior of Midgard.

RazorChain
2018-06-07, 05:53 AM
Well, the first question to spring to mind for me is to wonder if the system you're playing in has a Blindsight/Blindfighting/Tremorsense equivalent. If so, a quick feat pickup and you're back on top of things.

Otherwise, if I'm remembering my Norse myths correctly, wisdom/knowledge more often than not translated directly into power- power of a magical nature. Perhaps your sage/seer cannot see the physical, but can see the wyrd of all things?

The mythology can be confusing at times. Mímir was exchanged for Kvasir as a hostage in the truce in the Ćsir-Vanir war. Mímir was beheaded by the Vanir after they found out about Óđins treachery. Óđinn was the one that reanimated Mímirs head because of his wisdom and secret knowledge and kept him around for council.

The trading of eye for knowledge is the sacrifice, just like when Óđinn hung himself for three days to gain magical knowledge

avalkauskas
2018-08-20, 10:37 AM
The mythology can be confusing at times. Mímir was exchanged for Kvasir as a hostage in the truce in the Ćsir-Vanir war. Mímir was beheaded by the Vanir after they found out about Óđins treachery. Óđinn was the one that reanimated Mímirs head because of his wisdom and secret knowledge and kept him around for council.

The trading of eye for knowledge is the sacrifice, just like when Óđinn hung himself for three days to gain magical knowledge

Mimir wasn't traded for Kvasir. Kvasir was the magical being created from the Aesir and Vanir spit in the spit-jug. The rest you have is correct. ;)

If you guys love Norse Mythology, I highly recommend "The Illuminated Edda" on DriveThruRPG. An illustrated and modern translation of the Prose and Poetic Eddas.

LibraryOgre
2018-08-20, 10:56 AM
The Mod Wonder: The Norse frown upon the undead.