PDA

View Full Version : tips for a non magic party

Amdy_vill
2018-06-01, 06:50 AM
so my players have decided most of there classes. we have one monk, two rogues and then the other two want to play other martial classes. so any tips for having no casters in the party.

Unoriginal
2018-06-01, 07:06 AM
Just one: Play the game as normal.

an all martial party isn't a strange beast that require special care, it's a possibility accounted for by the game.

They might have a bit more troubles against lots of weak mooks and a bit more of an easier time when the fight is against a few tough enemies, but that's it.

Beside pretty much all the martial classes have at least one magical subclass, if the players want to still have some magic.

nickl_2000
2018-06-01, 07:14 AM
The major issue is going to be healing for a party like that. No one can heal the people up, so make healing potions more prevalent and give them more opportunities for short rests between combat. Other than that, let the players figure it out.

Also if you are worried about it, drop in some magic items that allow for a bonus action healing word per long rest.

Amdy_vill
2018-06-01, 07:30 AM
so teat them like a party with out AoE and drops some more healing items. thanks

Vogie
2018-06-01, 08:13 AM
Some ideas:
A) You can custom-make some simple spell-augmented character classes for them to choose from, such as:

Divine Trickster (It's 99% Arcane trickster Rogue, but using the cleric spell list)
Nature's Knight (It's 99% Eldritch Knight Fighter, but using the Druid spell list)

B) You can create a NPC that follows them around healing them, but occasionally acts as a damsel

C) You can indicate that in this campaign, everyone also has a dip at level 0. This could include:

All PCs are part of the Inquisition, and start with a single level in cleric
All PCs are part of the Definitely-Not-Night's-Watch, and have 2 levels in Ranger
All PCs had a near-death experience prior to the game starting, and have the Healing Light Pact boon as though they were Celestial Warlocks

D) You can indicate that all players must have some sort of healing or support ability, and then grant that ability:

Monks, regardless of chosen Way, also has the Healing Hands ability from Way of Tranquility.
Rogues also choose a bonus specialization, which include: Physiologist (Gives Medic feat and Sneak attacks cause bleeding) or Alchemist (able to craft potions, a la the Healing Draught from the Artificer class, and gains proficiency with poisoner's kit)
Barbarians gain the Lay on Hands ability from the Paladin class
Fighters can choose any of the above options, depending on their theme

Unoriginal
2018-06-01, 08:25 AM
An advice I forgot: your players should know how useful it is to have a backup ranged weapon when you're a melee build, or a backup melee weapons when you're a ranged build.

Quoxis
2018-06-01, 09:27 AM
- Allow them to determine magic effects by arcana/religion/nature checks instead of demanding „detect magic“ for magical traps etc.
- tell them they’ll need equipment like healing items, ropes (favorably with grappling hooks) and someone strong enough to throw them, different language proficiencies, stuff that makes up for not having level one utility spells. In the best case, read the spell list and give them such items according to what you plan to throw in their way - or give them alternative routes.

Demonslayer666
2018-06-01, 12:03 PM
First and foremost I would recommend that you adjust the challenge level of your game to meet the party's capabilities. Healing in 5th is pretty easy, you just need to rest.

If the challenge level needs to remain static, and they struggle, you can always bump up their capabilities with magic items, specifically ones that increase AC, to hit, and damage, and utility items (flying, healing, etc).

Feats that help: Healer, Gourmand, Tough, and Magic Initiate

MephitBlue
2018-06-01, 01:20 PM
have one of the players take or give one of them the healer feat. This works especially well on a Rogue who takes the Thief archetype as they can use the Fast Hands ability to heal with a healing kit with a bonus action.

Amdy_vill
2018-06-01, 08:17 PM
so i was talking to the other two and they said they wanted to be rogues so this is what my party looks like now

monk-human-possably way of shadow
rogue-unknown race- unknown subclass
rogue- tabaxi- assassin or mastermind
rouge- human- thief
rouge- aasimar- unknown subclass

so i am thinking this game will be deduction focus. more of a thieves guild game where they talk jobs and must steal or kill. i think the monk will end up being muscle

Isaire
2018-06-01, 08:43 PM
That could be a pretty fun party once it gets rolling :D a lot of evasion, and all that sneak attack.. Make sure they all take stealth :P could just appear around an enemy and absolutely destroy it..