PDA

View Full Version : Light Cleric Build

WereRabbitz
2018-06-01, 09:21 AM
Thinking of doing a Human Variant Light Cleric Build starting with the Base Stats or point buy in. Looking for some suggestion on what feats to grab?

Thinking:
Str: 10
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 16
Cha; 12

Trying to figure out Feats & How fast to prioritize Wis 20.

Feats i'm Considering:
Warcaster -
Mobile Armor Master - Give me a little more Defense & allow me to be stealthy.
Elemental Adept Fire - Help out with all the fire spells & Sacred Flame since i'm going to get to add my Wis bonus too it.

How fast should I push to get my Wis to 20? Do it by level 8? or is there a feats i might want sooner?

Also how important is Charisma? What do i need it for as a cleric?

Thanks for any advice!

Sexyshoeless
2018-06-01, 09:32 AM
First thing to consider with optimizing is what spells/playstyle do you anticipate? If you plan to be using more save based spells or if you value versatility in more spells prepped, definitely want to pump your wisdom quickly.

Early feats I might recommend include warcaster (SO good early on for maintaining conc), especially if you plan on doing some melee work. If you are the team's primary blaster AND you anticipate alot of fiends/ other fire resistant baddies you might consider elemental adept. However, consider that as a cleric you have a TON of other options for damage that are none fire damage to opt for - thus saving you a feat there (sacred flame, spiritual weapon, etc).

I would recommend seeing how your first several levels play out. Generally for casters, yea get your casting stat as high as possible soon, maybe stopping for warcaster on the way if you find you are often in harm's way with key conc spells. For example if you are loving the infamous spiritual weapons/spirit guardians combo or are throwing flaming sphere out constantly, yea you might want warcaster to keep that up.

WereRabbitz
2018-06-01, 09:48 AM
i'm doing human variant so warcaster at level 1 sounds pretty promising.

poolio
2018-06-01, 01:00 PM
i'm doing human variant so warcaster at level 1 sounds pretty promising.

Might want to check with your dm on starting with war caster, mine just discovered that because of the steps involved in the character making process you can't actually start with it, you have to be able to cast spells as a prerequisite and you don't pick your class till after you pick your bonus feat,

It's a little nitpicky, so i can see it as one of those rules some dm's would just hand wave, but still it's best to check with the one running the game when it comes to any official rules.

CTurbo
2018-06-01, 02:35 PM
Charisma is not very important to you so anywhere between 8-12 is fine.

Sacred Flame does not deal fire damage, it's radiant. Keep that in mind.

Warcaster is always good on a Cleric.

Magic Initiate would be great too. You could grab Find Familiar, a Fire damaging cantrip, and another utility cantrip.

I wouldn't bother with Medium Armor Mastery.

I would want my Wis maxed as soon as possible.