PDA

View Full Version : The fastest runner alive.

Spacehamster
2018-06-01, 10:17 AM
Curious if there is any faster foot movement than this? Rules are: no flight or teleportation or magic items, everything has to come from the build itself, level 20, feats allowed and you may have no less than 4 ASI’s(as to be a functional build outside being fast on your feet).

Mine that I thought out is 8 monk, 2 fighter, 2 rogue and 8 Druid land plains. Race tabaxi, feat: mobile and rest of the ASI’s into DEX/WIS. As non concentration spell: longstrider, concentration spell: haste.

This gives base speed of 65 * 2 from haste so 130ft, then you use feline agility for another 130ft, then use bonus action dash from rogue for another 130ft, then action surge for another 130 and use your normal action and action surge action to dash for 260 more. So if I understand the rules right you have now moved 780ft in 5 seconds?

Can you do better with the rules provided and did I calculate everything right(not sure action surge grants you more movement as your normal action does or if it’s only more movement if you use the additional action to dash, if so that’s 130 less for 650ft)?

Lombra
2018-06-01, 10:22 AM
Pidgeons........

Contrast
2018-06-01, 10:33 AM
Pidgeons........

I believe that (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?487886-D-amp-D-Footrace-Who-can-run-the-fastest-mile) required a friend to work if you're disallowing magic items.

Spacehamster
2018-06-01, 10:40 AM
Pidgeons........

No flying as I said? :p

hymer
2018-06-01, 10:47 AM
I believe that (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?487886-D-amp-D-Footrace-Who-can-run-the-fastest-mile) required a friend to work if you're disallowing magic items.

Uraniumrooster disallowed Epic Boons, but Spacehamster hasn't. Maybe we could do something with that?

Lombra
2018-06-01, 11:35 AM
Well, pidgeons aside, those 2 levels in rogue are slightly redundant since monk too can dash as a bonus action for 1 ki

Spacehamster
2018-06-01, 11:43 AM
Well, pidgeons aside, those 2 levels in rogue are slightly redundant since monk too can dash as a bonus action for 1 ki

Oh always forgets about that since the rogue version is always on vs resource. Then the question is; is there any other two levels that gives more movement and yes two moar monk gives an additional 5ft, thx for the spot. :)

hymer
2018-06-01, 12:01 PM
This gives base speed of 65 * 2 from haste so 130ft, then you use feline agility for another 130ft, then use bonus action dash from rogue for another 130ft, then action surge for another 130 and use your normal action and action surge action to dash for 260 more. So if I understand the rules right you have now moved 780ft in 5 seconds?

I bolded some stuff. It seems you're using two ActionS urges? And a round is six seconds, IIRC.
Wouldn't five levels of druid get you the spells you need? More monk might get you a faster speed? Or with the rogue levels you save, maybe you can get five levels of barbarian for improved speed?

Spacehamster
2018-06-01, 12:13 PM
I bolded some stuff. It seems you're using two ActionS urges? And a round is six seconds, IIRC.
Wouldn't five levels of druid get you the spells you need? More monk might get you a faster speed? Or with the rogue levels you save, maybe you can get five levels of barbarian for improved speed?

Put it quite bad let’s see
Two actions: 260
Three dash(2 from action + surge, 1 from bonus action dash): 390
Feline agility: 130

Totaling 780

CorranH
2018-06-01, 01:03 PM
I think that Monk 8/Druid 5/ Barbarian 5/Fighter 2 is a better class distribution, since as mentioned you don't really need Rogue 2, and the last 3 levels of Druid don't seem to do much, but Barbarian 5 gets +10ft.

Now for what you speed is:
30 (Base) +10 (Longstrider) +15 (Monk 8) +10 (Barbarian 5) +10 (Mobile feat) = 75 Base Speed * 2 (Haste) * 2 (Feline Agility) = 300ft for your movement per turn

Then you should have 4 Dashes (Normal Action, Action Surge Action, Haste Action, and Bonus Action).

So you will end up with 1200ft of movement in 6 seconds.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-06-01, 01:12 PM
I think that Monk 8/Druid 5/ Barbarian 5/Fighter 2 is a better class distribution, since as mentioned you don't really need Rogue 2, and the last 3 levels of Druid don't seem to do much, but Barbarian 5 gets +10ft.

30 (Base) +10 (Longstrider) +15 (Monk 8) +10 (Barbarian 5) +10 (Mobile feat) = 75 Base Speed * 2 (Haste) * 2 (Feline Agility) = 300ft for your movement per turn

Then you should have 4 Dashes (Normal Action, Action Surge Action, Haste Action, and Bonus Action).

Or 12,000 feet/minute, which equates to 720,000 feet/hour, or about 136 miles/hour.

"My name is Furry Allen, and I am the fastest cat alive . . ."

Lombra
2018-06-01, 01:37 PM
Put it quite bad let’s see
Two actions: 260
Three dash(2 from action + surge, 1 from bonus action dash): 390
Feline agility: 130

Totaling 780

Move normally
Dash Standard Action
Dash bonus action
Dash Action Surge
Dash Haste

Let's say you are a monk 15 sorcerer 5 for haste.

Everything doubled from feline agility and haste, so the final result is 20×base speed, which is: 30 base + 10 longstrider + 25 monk + 10 mobile so 1500ft in a round?

Is my understanding correct?

Edit: monk 13 fighter 2 sorcerer 5, forgot about fighter, for 100 less feet of movement. Which you regain if you go barbarian 5 monk 8 instead of monk 13.

nickl_2000
2018-06-01, 02:03 PM

If you do Moon Druid level 5 you can turn into a Warhorse and have a 60ft base speed, then go from there.

hymer
2018-06-01, 02:08 PM
If you do Moon Druid level 5 you can turn into a Warhorse and have a 60ft base speed, then go from there.
The Riding Horse (CR 1/4) is just as fast, so no need to lose access to Haste from Land.
The question is whether the monk or barbarian speed increases function in wild shape. That would be a DM call.

Edit: Come to think of it, Warhorses are CR 1/2, right? The land druid can shape that from level 4.

nickl_2000
2018-06-01, 02:30 PM
The Riding Horse (CR 1/4) is just as fast, so no need to lose access to Haste from Land.
The question is whether the monk or barbarian speed increases function in wild shape. That would be a DM call.

Edit: Come to think of it, Warhorses are CR 1/2, right? The land druid can shape that from level 4.

Yes Warhorse is CR 1/2

Seafarer
2018-06-01, 03:58 PM

Wild Shape, PHB Pg 67:
"You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source, and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so."

So no, not DM call at all. (60' base + 10' longstrider + 15' monk + 10' barbarian + 10' mobile) × 2 feline agility × 2 haste × 5 from movement and four Dash actions = 2100' in one round.

Spacehamster
2018-06-01, 04:42 PM
Wild Shape, PHB Pg 67:
"You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source, and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so."

So no, not DM call at all. (60' base + 10' longstrider + 15' monk + 10' barbarian + 10' mobile) × 2 feline agility × 2 haste × 5 from movement and four Dash actions = 2100' in one round.

Defo gonna need a “beep beep” sound when you zap by! :D

Think 2100’ would translate to 415 kmph if it would be able to do that speed indefinitely which ofc won’t work with action surge being once per short rest and feline agility being do it once then stand still one round before you can use it again.

Still tho it makes you faster than a sports car or about the same speed as a WW2 fighter plane for six seconds. xD

Aaedimus
2018-06-01, 05:42 PM
I would be like "you're running 400 MPH! Now.... HOW DO YOU STOP????"

Aaedimus
2018-06-01, 05:44 PM
Star Wars reference: He knew it would be his end, but in a final desperate attempt the tabaxi ushered in every bit of his strength and unleashed his full capability, leaving a shockwave in his wake, and sacrificing his own body as it crashed through the wooden hull of the fleet's lead destroyer at hyper speeds. His sacrifice... will be remembered.

hymer
2018-06-02, 03:23 AM

I'll repeat the pertinent part: "physically capable". Who decides whether that animal is physically capable of running many times faster - than it can? The DM does. /shrug
A strictly gamist DM will no doubt allow it. A DM doing rhe calculations, and asking themselves if a horse is physically capable of running about as fast a F1 racing car may be tempted to say no. Either way, it's in the "Ask the DM" territory, as is so much in this edition.

HolyDraconus
2018-06-02, 05:15 PM
I'll repeat the pertinent part: "physically capable". Who decides whether that animal is physically capable of running many times faster - than it can? The DM does. /shrug
A strictly gamist DM will no doubt allow it. A DM doing rhe calculations, and asking themselves if a horse is physically capable of running about as fast a F1 racing car may be tempted to say no. Either way, it's in the "Ask the DM" territory, as is so much in this edition.

I'm confused. How do you dash while you are dashing?

CTurbo
2018-06-02, 05:36 PM
Elk Totem Barb gets +15ft to speed while raging. A 5th level Tabaxi Elk Barb with Mobile can move 260ft on a single dash without any items or multiclassing. Add 13 levels of Monk and it goes to 340ft without magic items or spells. Throw in 2 levels of Fighter for action surge. Get somebody to Haste you and cast Longstrider for more fun.

Naanomi
2018-06-02, 05:43 PM
If party members can help, there is obviously more to do... but on your own the raging Barbarian negates the haste so no good

sambojin
2018-06-02, 05:50 PM
The "physically capable" part in DnD is a bit screwy anyway. With just an average of 10Str, you're able to carry 150lbs (about 70kg), moving at full speed, indefinitely. A full 20Str Goliath or Firbolg can carry 600lbs (270'ish kg) all day, every day. And the average scorpion or spider can carry 15lbs (about 6-7kg). Which is pretty damn impressive at either end of the scale.

So there's a lot that's "physically possible" when it comes to weight in DnD, with every creature having 2-5x or more "latent strength" than *our* creatures of the same sort, so really fast speeds are possible as well. It's just basic-made-up-incorrect physics, dammit!

Yes, elephants are awesome long-jumpers. Didn't you know? Look at the stats. That's what they're physically capable of, in DnD.

WotC decided that's what they're capable of, physically, as per WS rules. To make it easy and quick for us. Really, really quick in this case :)

MaxWilson
2018-06-02, 06:43 PM
Curious if there is any faster foot movement than this? Rules are: no flight or teleportation or magic items, everything has to come from the build itself, level 20, feats allowed and you may have no less than 4 ASI’s(as to be a functional build outside being fast on your feet).

Mine that I thought out is 8 monk, 2 fighter, 2 rogue and 8 Druid land plains. Race tabaxi, feat: mobile and rest of the ASI’s into DEX/WIS. As non concentration spell: longstrider, concentration spell: haste.

Can you do better with the rules provided and did I calculate everything right(not sure action surge grants you more movement as your normal action does or if it’s only more movement if you use the additional action to dash, if so that’s 130 less for 650ft)?

Well, mounting and dismounting costs only 5' of movement for a Cavalier, so a bog-standard level 3 Cavalier could start off on his horse, make it Dash 120', dismount and mount another horse (costs 10' of movement), and repeat ad nauseum. If there are enough horses pre-positioned he can Dash for 6 x 120' = 720' every round this way, and when he Action Surges he can move 9 x 120' = 1080'. If he takes Magic Initiate (Expeditious Retreat) or Rogue 2 he can go 12 x 120' = 1440' when Action Surging. A bit of Longstrider ups the total by 33% to 1920', and Haste doubles it and adds another Dash action to boot for 4800' in a single round, nearly a mile in six seconds. Of course most of the work here is being done by the 40 horses you manage to ride in this round.

Collectively, the 40 horses you ride are going 545 mph even though none of them individually, by 5E rules, can exceed 13 mph while Dashing.

Naanomi
2018-06-02, 06:52 PM
You could use faster mounts for that...maybe your Halfling cavalier has Tabaxi monks with exotic saddles all lined up?

sambojin
2018-06-02, 07:10 PM
You could use faster mounts for that...maybe your Halfling cavalier has Tabaxi monks with exotic saddles all lined up?

Tabaxi druid monks WS'd into warhorses. Of course.

We may be getting a tiny bit outside the "has to come from the build" thing in the OP though.

Naanomi
2018-06-02, 08:17 PM
We may be getting a tiny bit outside the "has to come from the build" thing in the OP though.
As soon as people started suggesting other people cast haste on you so you can rage; all bets were off

CircleOfTheRock
2018-06-02, 09:51 PM
Wild Shape, PHB Pg 67:

Isn't speed a benefit from your race? Is your speed superseded by the Wild Shape's per RAW?

ImproperJustice
2018-06-02, 10:21 PM
If UA is allowed:

Level 3 Dip in Artificer for Alchemist to get swift-step drop.
Drink as a bonus action and gain a flat +20 movement boost to stack your further Shenanigans with :)