PDA

View Full Version : The power of spell choice and the ranger.

MrStabby
2018-06-01, 08:30 PM
So with a bit of chat about rangers recently I got to wondering what would happen if you were to create a power spell list.

Say something like the PHB hunter ranger - if every spell could be taken as a "magical secret"? What would the ideal spell list be and how much more powerful would this make the class?

Talionis
2018-06-01, 08:35 PM
Its not flavorful for a Ranger to have access to any kind of spell. Im not sure i get the reason for the exercise.

apepi
2018-06-01, 08:40 PM
I honestly rather just make them prepared spell casters rather than learned.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-06-01, 09:00 PM
Its not flavorful for a Ranger to have access to any kind of spell. Im not sure i get the reason for the exercise.

I agree with this. But as long as we're talking about flavor, I'd suggest that it would be worth considering a few Druid spells for the Ranger, as it's also a nature-themed class.

thoroughlyS
2018-06-01, 09:09 PM
It would certainly give more support to melee Rangers via the Smite spells (although it would be yet another nail in the two-weapon coffin). In my opinion, the biggest benefit of Magical Secrets is nabbing exclusive spells, but the Ranger wouldn't be able to benefit much because they gain new spell levels so slowly. In that regard, they have the opposite problem of the Bard, who can steal Paladin and Ranger capstones earlier than the actual classes.

MrStabby
2018-06-01, 11:32 PM

The exercise is to get a sense of how much a PC power comes from spell availability. It isn't about what is thematic but to see how powerful a list could be made.

Crgaston
2018-06-02, 12:58 AM
I’ll play. Keeping it somewhat thematic, and considering a 20th Level Hunter Ranger, so 11 spells (which illustrates how much of a boost the XGTE subclasses’ bonus spells are... they get 16).

Find Familiar
Hunters Mark

Healing Spirit
Pass Without Trace
Spike Growth (or Plant Growth)

Conjure Animals
Spirit Guardians

Freedom of Movement
Greater Invisibility (or Shadow of Moil for a melee Ranger)

Steel Wind Strike (or Animate Objects for an archer, )
Wall of Force

So I think that the Ranger list is pretty well-written as far as what I would want a Ranger to be able to do.

MrStabby
2018-06-02, 12:02 PM
I’ll play. Keeping it somewhat thematic, and considering a 20th Level Hunter Ranger, so 11 spells (which illustrates how much of a boost the XGTE subclasses’ bonus spells are... they get 16).

Find Familiar
Hunters Mark

Healing Spirit
Pass Without Trace
Spike Growth (or Plant Growth)

Conjure Animals
Spirit Guardians

Freedom of Movement
Greater Invisibility (or Shadow of Moil for a melee Ranger)

Steel Wind Strike (or Animate Objects for an archer, )
Wall of Force

So I think that the Ranger list is pretty well-written as far as what I would want a Ranger to be able to do.

Not bad for a thematic list. I think my "power" list would be something like:

Wrathful Smite
Shield

Pass without trace
Healing Spirit
Heat Metal (massive power even before you boost wisdom)
Find Steed

Counterspell (even without any bonuses and higher level slots this is still a useful reaction to have)

Banishment (Never Really loses it's lustre and is exceptionally powerful)
Conjure woodland beings (if the DM allows pixie cheese)

Wall of force
Swift Quiver or possibly Dream (boosting out of combat tools)

saucerhead
2018-06-02, 01:55 PM
I am looking at a melee ranger with a tempest theme as opposed to a power list. More of a storm cloak, than a gloom stalker.

First level
Fog Cloud
Ice Knife
Thunderous Smite
Thunderwave

Second level
Misty Step
Pass Without Trace
Shatter

Third Level
Call Lightning
Fly
Sleet Storm

Fourth Level
Control Water
Freedom of Movement
Ice Storm

Fifth Level
Destructive Wave
Maelstrom

MrStabby
2018-06-02, 02:38 PM
I am looking at a melee ranger with a tempest theme as opposed to a power list. More of a storm cloak, than a gloom stalker.

First level
Fog Cloud
Ice Knife
Thunderous Smite
Thunderwave

Second level
Misty Step
Pass Without Trace
Shatter

Third Level
Call Lightning
Fly
Sleet Storm

Fourth Level
Control Water
Freedom of Movement
Ice Storm

Fifth Level
Destructive Wave
Maelstrom

Looks like a fun concept.

I was playing around with the idea of a fey themed ranger, a bit of enchantment and illusion and other Fey themed elements.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-06-02, 03:05 PM
I honestly rather just make them prepared spell casters rather than learned.

This. But I’ll play as well

Find Familiar
Wrathful smite
Snare

Enhance Ability
Spike Growth

Elemental Weapon
Thunder step

Find Greater Steed
Guardian of Nature

Steel Wind Strike
Passwall

Mortis_Elrod
2018-06-02, 03:12 PM

First level
Fog Cloud
Ice Knife
Thunderous Smite
Thunderwave

Second level
Misty Step
Pass Without Trace
Shatter

Third Level
Call Lightning
Fly
Sleet Storm

Fourth Level
Control Water
Freedom of Movement
Ice Storm

Fifth Level
Destructive Wave
Maelstrom

Isn’t that over rangers total spells known?

saucerhead
2018-06-02, 07:41 PM
Dang, you are right. I went with spell slot numbers, not spells known.

Angelalex242
2018-06-03, 06:31 PM
Rangers are such an underpowered class that you could let them have all possible ranger spells prepared at all times and they still wouldn't catch up to other melee classes.

Kane0
2018-06-03, 07:46 PM
I also use prepared casting for rangers, with bonus spells for the hunter and beastmaster just like the Xan's rangers get. Has worked pretty well so far.

Hunter: Snare, Spider Climb, Meld into Stone, Locate Creature, Far Step
Beastmaster: Animal Friendship, Beast Sense, Catnap, Dominate Beast, Hold Monster