PDA

View Full Version : Natural weapons Unseen Seer?

TalonOfAnathrax
2018-06-02, 02:54 AM
I want to build an Unseen Seer who uses Hunter's Eye and makes many attacks per round. My first idea was to use spells like Scorching Ray that make many attacks per round, but then I discovered the volley rule :/

However, it appears not to apply to natural attacks. How can that be leveraged? I see that Kobolds have 3 natural weapon attacks base, but they have a strength penalty. Anything better out there?

Oh, and I want to use Sorcerer as a base (I find spontaneous stuff more fun and I think that there are Draconic feats that grant more natural weapons), but probably can't take it at level 1 because of the skill requirements for Unseen Seer may make me start with Rogue 1 or Spelltheif 1.

Oh, and please: no Incarnum

Venger
2018-06-02, 03:39 AM
I want to build an Unseen Seer who uses Hunter's Eye and makes many attacks per round. My first idea was to use spells like Scorching Ray that make many attacks per round, but then I discovered the volley rule :/

However, it appears not to apply to natural attacks. How can that be leveraged? I see that Kobolds have 3 natural weapon attacks base, but they have a strength penalty. Anything better out there?

Oh, and I want to use Sorcerer as a base (I find spontaneous stuff more fun and I think that there are Draconic feats that grant more natural weapons), but probably can't take it at level 1 because of the skill requirements for Unseen Seer may make me start with Rogue 1 or Spelltheif 1.

Oh, and please: no Incarnum

rules compendium actually has no authority to change rules, it serves only to collect extant rules in one place so the volley "rule" isn't actually official. you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

if your gm does force this "rule" on you, it does apply to ranged natural attacks, such as manticore belt, but melee ones are not affected.

why are you fighting in melee as a sorcerer unseen seer? you're not very thuggish and I assume your loadout doesn't have a lot of melee buffs. do you see yourself fighting mostly up close and being a gish, or are you operating primarily at range, and precision damage appeals to you for whatever reason. if the latter, check out spellwarp sniper from complete scoundrel. it's popular for this purpose.

is your gm banning incarnum, or do you just not know the system and not want to learn it? if the former, I won't bother, if the latter, it's not that difficult, and if you're just taking shape soulmeld, or a dip, it's very little new information. if you know how to use sorcerer, it won't be much different from learning a new spell or two.

Nifft
2018-06-02, 04:03 AM
Human + the Able Learner feat -> skill requirements are easier.

Alter Self -> Troglodyte for 3 natural attacks on a non-kobold, for a while. Also some nice Natural Armor.

Aberrant Dragonmark + one more [Aberrant] feat + Deepspawn -> 2 more tentacle attacks.

Fiendish Grafts -> get an arbitrary number of additional limbs which each can make a natural attack. Talk to your DM about sensible limits before trying this, obviously.

Venger
2018-06-02, 04:21 AM
Human + the Able Learner feat -> skill requirements are easier.

Alter Self -> Troglodyte for 3 natural attacks on a non-kobold, for a while. Also some nice Natural Armor.

Aberrant Dragonmark + one more [Aberrant] feat + Deepspawn -> 2 more tentacle attacks.

Fiendish Grafts -> get an arbitrary number of additional limbs which each can make a natural attack. Talk to your DM about sensible limits before trying this, obviously.

solid recommendations all.

aberrant dragonmark is pretty cool, but it's not an aberrant feat, so won't help you meet the prereqs for deepspawn. if you're building with an eye toward deepspawn, I highly recommend inhuman reach as your other tax to fulfill the reqs.

since I also assume, as a sorcerer, you have alter self, if you begin play as an aberration, through a race such as elan or daelkyr half-blood, you can alter self into a grell for 10 tentacles (each with paralysis) and bite

if you're planning to gish and wind up staying kobold, you might consider taking dragonwrought to qualify for rapidstrike down the line.

Nifft
2018-06-02, 04:27 AM
aberrant dragonmark is pretty cool, but it's not an aberrant feat, so won't help you meet the prereqs for deepspawn. if you're building with an eye toward deepspawn, I highly recommend inhuman reach as your other tax to fulfill the reqs.

It's an official variant if you're using Lords of Madness in Eberron: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebee/20050704a

But what if these tales were true? If you use this variant, the Aberrant Dragonmark feat becomes an aberrant feat and can be substituted for Aberrant Blood to meet the prerequisites of any other aberrant feat. An aberrant dragonmark may not seem so bad, but when your character develops inhuman reach or inhuman vision, his companions may well start to worry.

... but yeah, it's a variant, not in the core feat.

Venger
2018-06-02, 09:50 AM
oh, cool, I didn't know that.