PDA

View Full Version : Build Feedback: Swashbuckler 13/Barbarian 1/Battlemaster 6

Finieous
2018-06-02, 05:16 AM
I played a classic Swashbuckler/Battlemaster to mid Tier 3 and had a pretty good time, but he had Con 14 and I found he really wasn't tough enough to hang in and take full advantage of Riposte and Sentinel. I'm thinking about a build that starts with Con 16 and takes a level of barbarian - primarily for Unarmored Defense, which eventually pays off big-time - but also for 2/day Uncanny Dodge + Rage resistance super-defense button.

At-will DPR at 11th level is just a little better than sword-and-board fighter without Shield Master (nerf aside), but he can get second sneak attacks with any combination of Riposte, Sentinel, or Action Surge (Ready), so I think he ends up doing a lot more damage in the field. He's tougher than a sword-and-board fighter, too. His DPR between 11th and 20th level progresses much better, obviously. Basically a thug or streetfighter concept. Great variety of skill utility, so not worried about that. Suggestions and critiques welcome.

Race: Half-Elf

Str 13, Dex 16 (20), Con 16 (20), Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 12
Background: Criminal
Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception, Insight, Investigation, Perception, Pesuasion, Stealth, Thieves' Tools
Progression: Rogue 1 - Barb 1 - Rogue 2 to 5 - Fighter 1-6 - Rogue 6-13
ASIs: Dex 18 (CL 5), Dex 20 (CL 10), Sentinel (CL 12), Con 18 (CL 15), Con 20 (CL 17), Tough (CL 19)
Fighting Style: Defense
AC 16 at 2nd level, 17 at 5th level, 18 at 7th level, 19 at 10th level, 20 at 15th level, 21 at 17th level
HP at 20th level: 251

DPR is fine at 1st to 6th level (he's a swashbuckler), then stalls during fighter levels. But Action Surge comes up at CL 8, Riposte at CL 9, and Extra Attack at CL 11. Sentinel at 12th level and sneak attack progression after that, so clear sailing.

I think I like it, particularly in the post-Shield Master nerf game, but interested in any feedback.

Quoxis
2018-06-02, 06:38 AM
Defense fighting style only works with armor worn.

Finieous
2018-06-02, 07:06 AM
Defense fighting style only works with armor worn.

Good catch, thanks.

CTurbo
2018-06-02, 04:32 PM
Ok here goes....

Str 8, Dex 16 (20), Con 16 (20), Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 16
Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception, Insight, Investigation, Perception, Pesuasion, Stealth, Thieves' Tools
Progression: Rogue 1 - Sorcerer 1 - Rogue 2 to 5 - Fighter 1-6 - Rogue 6-13
ASIs: Dex 18 (CL 5), Dex 20 (CL 10), Sentinel (CL 12), Con 18 (CL 15), Con 20 (CL 17), Tough (CL 19)
Fighting Style: Dueling
AC 18 at 2nd level, 19 at 5th level, 19 at 7th level, 20 at 10th level, 20 at 15th level, 20 at 17th level

That 1 level of Sorcerer gives you Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade, Shield, and Draconic gives you AC of 13+Dex and Stone gives you an AC of 13+Con. Both give you an extra 1 hp per level. Stone gives you Smite spells too. If you could sneak in War Caster, you could use Booming Blade with your Sentinel or Riposte reaction attack.

djreynolds
2018-06-02, 05:19 PM
Ok here goes....

AC 18 at 2nd level, 19 at 5th level, 19 at 7th level, 20 at 10th level, 20 at 15th level, 20 at 17th level

That 1 level of Sorcerer gives you Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade, Shield, and Draconic gives you AC of 13+Dex and Stone gives you an AC of 13+Con. Both give you an extra 1 hp per level. Stone gives you Smite spells too. If you could sneak in War Caster, you could use Booming Blade with your Sentinel or Riposte reaction attack.

I like this much better

I like the barbarian build as well.

My new strength build is a TWF strength based fighter/barbarian/rogue, I use my 1st attack to dump my foe, and then my main attack(s) and then BA off hand attack. SO THERE SHIELD MASTER NERF

I might grab fighter 7, because you get an extra SD per short rest. Could be worth more than the BA advantage on athletics/acrobatics checks

Finieous
2018-06-02, 05:37 PM
Ok here goes....

Can't use Stone. AC 18 at 2nd level is awesome, but I don't know where it's coming from. I don't have shield proficiency, and it's a seafaring campaign so a shield is often a PITA anyway. The cantrips don't do much for me since I want to use off-hand attack and Extra Attack. I'm not going to have the slots for shield spell to make much of a difference over the course of an adventuring day. I have an AT/BS who IMHO does this style better. Thanks for the feedback - it does rub in how much I sacrifice for that Str 13. :smallbiggrin:

CTurbo
2018-06-02, 06:00 PM
Can't use Stone. AC 18 at 2nd level is awesome, but I don't know where it's coming from. I don't have shield proficiency, and it's a seafaring campaign so a shield is often a PITA anyway. The cantrips don't do much for me since I want to use off-hand attack and Extra Attack. I'm not going to have the slots for shield spell to make much of a difference over the course of an adventuring day. I have an AT/BS who IMHO does this style better. Thanks for the feedback - it does rub in how much I sacrifice for that Str 13. :smallbiggrin:

Stone Sorc gets shield proficiency. I didn't know you wanted to TWF. Yeah you wouldn't have many spell slots but you'd still be able to use Shield twice a day which is still pretty good. Twice a day you can prevent getting hit. You could just take utility cantrips then. Minor Illusion, Control Flames, etc... to help with stealth.