PDA

View Full Version : Know it's been done before, but, Bard optimization help request.

SpectreT65
2018-06-02, 11:30 AM
Like I said, probably a dozen or more threads, but my search-fu is weak, and there is a pretty big wrinkle on the usual optimization thread.

At the table I'm going to, feats are not allowed, so no variant human, PHB is the only content allowed, so no SCAG, etc...

Going Bard for the flexibility of role, but probing the hive mind here for help with a Jack of all trades that does not really stink in any one role.

Xihirli
2018-06-02, 11:33 AM
Can’t go wrong with a Half-Elf Lore Bard.

If you want to help with skill checks your mental scores probably should be at 12s (Charisma maxes obviously).

This guide is very helpful.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?427508-Player-s-Gonna-Play-A-Bard-s-Guide

SpectreT65
2018-06-02, 12:48 PM
Good stuff. Thanks. I was contemplating Criminal Background, mainly for proficiency with thieves' tools, but never know when having friends in low places will come in handy. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

jaappleton
2018-06-02, 12:50 PM
Good stuff. Thanks. I was contemplating Criminal Background, mainly for proficiency with thieves' tools, but never know when having friends in low places will come in handy. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Do it.

Half Elf
Criminal
Lore Bard

Lore's Cutting Words and the lv6 feature letting you cherry pick any two spells (Even PHB restrictive) will be amazing. I played one for a long time, and the group loved me for what I could do.

Xihirli
2018-06-02, 02:20 PM
If you want to save all your inspirations for cutting words it might be worth it to take Bless as a Magical Secret or even as a multiclass.

Another great magical secret is counterspell. Lore Bards are the best counterspellers in the game, as Jack of All Trades and Reliable Talent works with it.

holywhippet
2018-06-02, 05:39 PM
I've been playing much the same build and the main problem I have with it is damage in combat. You will be good at support - making other people do damage, but you don't have many attack spells yourself. Or at least not 100% reliable ones. Shatter is decent, but is area only so you need to watch out for friendly fire. Heat metal is very good, but only works on enemies who are wearing or carrying metal.

Crgaston
2018-06-02, 06:14 PM
Bane is on the Bard list, and that will help your Vicious Mockery and Dissonant Whispers stick.

One way to overcome the “at will damage” problem is to start with one level in Draconic Sorcerer. You get some good Attack cantrips, 2 first level spells and an AC boost. You keep full slot progression and are only 1 level behind on spell levels. Oh, and proficiency in Con Saves.

If you’d rather not dip, either Magic Initiate Warlock for Attack cantrips or take Eldrich Blast as one of your L6 Magical Secrets.

SpectreT65
2018-06-04, 08:17 PM
I like Eldrich Blast as one of my secrets, but I notice no one recommended the Valor Bard. Wondering if that helps with the damage output concerns, since magically, I expect to be the support and healing more than the major damage dealer. They have a Wizard already.

I tend to like Bard for the skillmonkey/support character role. Figure if I play it right, this guy can be a force multiplier. Still a few days to kickoff for this; chargen, fortunately, is quick, they're at 45th level.