PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Multiple attacks while grappling

nonsi
2018-06-02, 11:49 AM
The exchange on this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?559767) has gotten me thinking about ways for providing high level combat characters with the means to deal with power-grapplers.

I came up with the following feats for barbs and monks:

Feral Grappler
Prerequisites: Imp. Grapple, Mad Foam Rager, Greater Rage
Benefits: When grappling, as long as you're not pinned, you can make multiple attacks vs. an opponent you're grappling.

Flurry Grappler
Prerequisites: Imp. Grapple, Close Quarters Fighting, Greater Flurry
Benefits: When grappling, as long as you're not pinned, you can flurry vs. an opponent you're grappling.

ATM, I can't think of a way to provide the Fighter with similar means.

Debihuman
2018-06-10, 05:06 AM
Starting a Grapple
To start a grapple, you need to grab and hold your target. Starting a grapple requires a successful melee attack roll. If you get multiple attacks, you can attempt to start a grapple multiple times (at successively lower base attack bonuses).

This should only work with creatures with 3 or more limbs since you have to GRAB AND HOLD your target. Kinda hard to grab and hold with only one limb. This is just a matter of verisimilitude. Mostly why grapple is such a pain to deal with.

Debby

nonsi
2018-06-10, 04:31 PM
Starting a Grapple
To start a grapple, you need to grab and hold your target. Starting a grapple requires a successful melee attack roll. If you get multiple attacks, you can attempt to start a grapple multiple times (at successively lower base attack bonuses).

This should only work with creatures with 3 or more limbs since you have to GRAB AND HOLD your target. Kinda hard to grab and hold with only one limb. This is just a matter of verisimilitude. Mostly why grapple is such a pain to deal with.

Debby

Not necessarily.
Bear Fang feat from Complete Warrior (p.112) allows you to make a grapple attempt every time both weapons hit. If that strategy works, more options can be devised.