PDA

View Full Version : I'm going BERSERK!

Durendal
2007-09-06, 11:01 PM
Not really, I just wanted to know what people thougt of the berserker strength alternative class feature from the PHB2. Good, bad, better than rage, broken, etc.

Dhavaer
2007-09-06, 11:05 PM
I like it. It's not actually stronger than Rage, or at least it doesn't seem to be, but I prefer not to have /day abilities. My main gripe with it is that it doesn't multiclass well.

ocato
2007-09-06, 11:10 PM
Sorry, what's it do?

Thinker
2007-09-06, 11:10 PM
It kinda sucks compared to regular rage. You don't qualify for feats or PrCs that require rage to get in. You also can't activate it when you want it.

Dr. Weasel
2007-09-06, 11:13 PM
It basically automatically sends you into a slightly modified version of a rage as your character nears death. Here's (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060501a&page=3/") a link to the variant.

Dhavaer
2007-09-06, 11:14 PM
Sorry, what's it do?

You get rage-like benefits when you go below a certain amount of hp. The reason it doesn't multiclass well is because the amount of hp is based on barbarian level, not character level.

ocato
2007-09-06, 11:16 PM
Eh, I can see how you might like it, but I prefer to be able to control when I rage, even if it is less often.

Durendal
2007-09-06, 11:22 PM
Hmm...I hadn't thought of it like that. But your right, by RAW it is based exclusively of barbarian levels. Wonder if that couldn't be house ruled to be based on character level.

Anyways, has anyone actually played a barbarian with berserker strength? Just wondering if anyone had actual game experience with it.

Dhavaer
2007-09-06, 11:25 PM
I have, but I never took enough damage to use it. I think. It was a while ago.

Jack_Simth
2007-09-06, 11:40 PM
Huh.

You know, if you had a barbarian using that variant that, for suicidal reasons, had a Con score of about 4, he'd gain (on average) 4 hp per level (after first level, when he'd have 9 hp). After about 5th level, he'd always be below threshold, even when fully healed.... assuming he EVER made it that far.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-09-07, 12:57 AM
I actually like the idea behind it. It would be fun to pair up with Endurance and Diehard, so you could keep fighting on with bloodthirsty frothing until the bitter end. But unless you plan on going straight Barbarian 20, it isn't quite as useful as normal rage. If you're still wanting something funky-fresh, there's the Cityscape barbarian variant... what's that called? It boosts your STR and DEX...

Kurald Galain
2007-09-07, 02:42 AM
After about 5th level, he'd always be below threshold, even when fully healed.... assuming he EVER made it that far.

Yep. There was some kind of weird cheese build made on that. It involved using some grafts? to drop your HP further, and be permanently boosted. Or boosted once you took 1 hp of damage, or something like that.

Zincorium
2007-09-07, 02:47 AM
The berserker strength can actually work fairly well in a party with a dragon shaman, due to the healing aura it provides when down below half health (i.e. when you're doing a lot of damage, but also taking a lot).

its_all_ogre
2007-09-07, 02:56 AM
it is less versatile because you cannot choose to turn it on, most fights are over in a few rounds and if you rage at the start you can end them quicker than normal.

AtomicKitKat
2007-09-07, 08:07 AM
I think it's based on the Savage Species Feat that put you into "perma-Rage" once you dropped below half(or took 50 HP of total damage, or something like that).