PDA

View Full Version : Booming Polearm?

Aleister VII
2018-06-02, 11:02 PM
Hey everyone! I got a doubt, the thing is that I'm going to play a level 10 EK fighter and take PAM instead of one of my many ASI, I'm taking Booming blade as one of my cantrips and at level 10 I've two attacks so....

What is better? Attack two times and PAM bonus attack or Booming blade my enemy?
I'm using a halberd so that's two separated 1d10 plus the PAM bonus action.

Booming blade would be a single 1d10 plus the 1d8 thunder damage in a single roll and... huh? Oh yeah here's the real question, can I still use the PAM bonus action if I used booming blade instead of normal attacking?

Also what is a better use of my action normal attacking or booming my enemies?
I think that attacking will be better once I get my third attack but what's better until then?

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-06-02, 11:06 PM
Hey everyone! I got a doubt, the thing is that I'm going to play a level 10 EK fighter and take PAM instead of one of my many ASI, I'm taking Booming blade as one of my cantrips and at level 10 I've two attacks so....

What is better? Attack two times and PAM bonus attack or Booming blade my enemy?
I'm using a halberd so that's two separated 1d10 plus the PAM bonus action.

Booming blade would be a single 1d10 plus the 1d8 thunder damage in a single roll and... huh? Oh yeah here's the real question, can I still use the PAM bonus action if I used booming blade instead of normal attacking?

Also what is a better use of my action normal attacking or booming my enemies?
I think that attacking will be better once I get my third attack but what's better until then?

One thing to keep in mind is that in order to use booming blade at range it requires the spell sniper feat, as the range on BB is 5'.

with Booming blade as your action which is at level 10 1d10+str+2d8 +a bonus action attack of 1d10+str total: 2d10+2d8+Str*2=roughly 26 dmg/round with 16 strength
Without booming blade you're looking at 2d10+1d4+str*3= 19.5 dmg/round with 16 str.

Edit for level 11 maths:
Booming Blade: 1d10+3d8+Str, 1d10+Str=30.5 dmg/round
Without: 3d10+1d4+Str*4=31 dmg/round

The higher your strength the more in favor of no booming blade this goes.

Matrix_Walker
2018-06-02, 11:11 PM
You are better off with the extra attack and the PAM bonus action attack. Given the need for spell sniper to maintain the advantage of reach with your attacks, I'd probably skip the cantrip. Once you have PAM, you should probably chase it with GWM or Sentinel rather than spell sniper.

Booming Blade does not proc the PAM bonus action attack.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-06-02, 11:14 PM
You are better off with the extra attack and the PAM bonus action attack. Given the need for spell sniper to maintain the advantage of reach with your attacks, I'd probably skip the cantrip. Once you have PAM, you should probably chase it with GWM or Sentinel rather than spell sniper.

Booming Blade does not proc the PAM bonus action attack.

It doesn't need to as the cantrip procs a full bonus attack, so he could switch out PAM for Spell sniper.

Aleister VII
2018-06-02, 11:14 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that in order to use booming blade at range it requires the spell sniper feat, as the range on BB is 5'.

I know, I've no problem with the range, my main concern is if I can use PAM bonus attack after using Booming blade instead of just attacking.

Edit: so booming blade doesn't trigger PAM, huh?

also I don't understand why two d8? iirc booming blade does 1d10 (halberd) + 1d8 thunder damage on hit since level 5 and don't scale again until level 11, the 2d8 are the ones that you mentioned are the ones the enemy takes if he moves?

Edit 2: now I get it, so attacking is the way to go as my strength is already maxed at 20 (+5).

leogobsin
2018-06-02, 11:16 PM
At level 10, Attack action and PAM bonus action is gonna be (2d10+STR mod*2) slashing, (1d4+STR) mod bludgeoning (assuming all attacks hit). Booming blade is (1d10+STR mod) slashing, 1d8 thunder, another 2d8 thunder if the target moves. It depends on what your strength score is, but most likely taking the attack action is going to do more damage.

As for using PAM after Booming Blade, no you can't. PAM says "When you take the Attack action". When you use Booming Blade, you aren't taking the Attack action, you're taking the Cast A Spell action, and as part of that you make a weapon attack roll.

Aleister VII
2018-06-02, 11:34 PM
Thanks guys you've dispelled my doubts and questions n.n

So can I still make use of Booming blade or is more a situational tool to stop enemies from reaching my wizards and sorcerer friends? And if so I may as well just grab sentinel, can't I? But even so I'm planing to spend my next ASI in GWM, with 20 strength, my proficiency and a +1 weapon that -5 penalty isn't a big deal xD

Tanarii
2018-06-03, 12:42 AM
War Magic lets you make an attack after using Booming Blade as a bonus action.

So DPR is Hit Chance times:

2d10+1d4+15 ~= 28.5
2d10+1d8+10 ~= 25.5 + possible 2d8 (9) ~= 34.5

At level 11:
3d10+1d4+20 = 39
2d10+2d8+10 = 30 + possible 3d8 (13.5) = 43.5

So right now you can trade lower base average damage for possible control or higher damage. In one level it'll be higher average damage no matter what to use Booming Blade, plus possible control or even more damage.

Personally I would have skipped PAM and invested in something else as an EK, especially with SCAG cantrips on the table. Sentinel would have been a good option. Although PAM still provides other benefits than the bonus action attack.

Edit: fixed add on damage for BB at 5th and 11th.

Edit2: thanks ThePolarBear (below), fixed level 11 BB I was adding a whole nother attack. That changes things at 11th considerably, making triple attack the more consistent damage option, while BB is a Devils choice (in the enemies hands) between not moving or higher damage.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-06-03, 12:50 AM
I know, I've no problem with the range, my main concern is if I can use PAM bonus attack after using Booming blade instead of just attacking.

Edit: so booming blade doesn't trigger PAM, huh?

also I don't understand why two d8? iirc booming blade does 1d10 (halberd) + 1d8 thunder damage on hit since level 5 and don't scale again until level 11, the 2d8 are the ones that you mentioned are the ones the enemy takes if he moves?

Edit 2: now I get it, so attacking is the way to go as my strength is already maxed at 20 (+5).

You're correct I forgot that it doesn't get a d8 at the beginning.

ThePolarBear
2018-06-03, 04:04 AM
Edit: fixed add on damage for BB at 5th and 11th.

Math is still off for BB at level 11. There's no 3rd attack.

Tanarii
2018-06-03, 08:21 AM
Math is still off for BB at level 11. There's no 3rd attack.
Oh wow yeah. Thanks. Updates and commented on how it changes my conclusion.

Matrix_Walker
2018-06-03, 11:37 AM
If PAM is a given, you may as well focus on its strengths for the best consistency of damage. The weapon cantrips are still good choices to have in your arsenal for situational use.