PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Ranger with single high attribute (DEX?)

JakOfAllTirades
2018-06-03, 01:16 AM
I'm thinking of joining a new campaign tomorrow, and I've been informed we'll be rolling for ability scores.

But I'm terrible at rolling for ability scores. (Point buy is my very best friend ever.)

Assuming the worst doesn't happen, (I might not roll a bunch of single-digit scores, right?) I'm preparing to play a character with, at best, one passable ability score. So I perused this old thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?508929-What-classes-do-well-with-one-single-high-attribute&highlight=single+attribute+classes) for ideas and it was very helpful. Rather than necro the thread with another question, I'm starting a new one to ask:

What about the Ranger? (cuz it's the one class nobody mentioned in the prior thread) Is a Ranger with one decent score (most likely DEX) a viable character, or do they need a good WIS score as well? And what about CON?

Of course, if a miracle occurs and I roll a decent set of scores this won't be an issue.

Yeah right, never gonna happen.

JAL_1138
2018-06-03, 01:27 AM
If you limit your spell choices to spells with no saving throw or spell attack roll, you can scrape by on low Wis. However, Rangers don't have early-game access to features like "movement without provoking opportunity attacks as a bonus action or reaction" so they can get stuck in melee if you're not careful. And if you're likely to be taking hits, you need decent Con, both for hit points and to keep concentration on spells like Hunter's Mark. You might go with a goblin to get Disengage as a bonus action, which can help extricate you from melee. But I'd generally recommend against any martial, even one focused on ranged combat, without decent Con.

EDIT: As pointed out by Castiel1, Horizon Walkers get Misty Step, so that helps a bit. ALSO EDIT: As pointed out by rbstr, Zephyr Strike out of XGtE also helps.

Vessyra
2018-06-03, 01:38 AM
Become an archer so that you don't have to have a good con score. Keep a high dex so that you can shoot decently, and so that your armour class will allow you to get out of melee without getting hurt. There are plenty of ranger spells that don't require wis, but typically those require concentration, and there are plenty that don't require concentration but do require wis. As such go dex highest, followed by either wis then con or by con then wis (depending on your spell selection). For your ranger archetype, go with horizon walker so that you can stay out of melee with misty step and it's other teleportation abilities.

CTurbo
2018-06-03, 02:30 AM
Honestly this is too hypothetical. You may end up rolling three 18s. Of course if you did end up rolling 18, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, an archer Ranger would be a decent choice. Keep in mind that Fighters get 2 more ASIs than most other classes so that could help a lot if you do get bad rolls.

rbstr
2018-06-03, 09:28 AM
You can definitely do a low-wis ranger. Like said before, just stay around from spells with attack rolls and saving throws.

However, Rangers don't have early-game access to features like "movement without provoking opportunity attacks as a bonus action or reaction".

Zephyr Strike does that.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-06-03, 12:34 PM
Thanks to all! Game is in 30 minutes.

CTurbo
2018-06-03, 01:57 PM
Thanks to all! Game is in 30 minutes.

Well let us know what you ended up with

kraitmarais
2018-06-03, 02:13 PM
With a decent Dex and the incredible range of a longbow, you'll have plenty of opportunities to shine, unless your DM just puts you in fog clouds and dense thickets all the time.

I can't wait to hear how you roll!

JakOfAllTirades
2018-06-03, 11:54 PM
Well let us know what you ended up with

Somehow I broke my dice rolling curse today!

I'm playing a Half-Elf FeyLock: STR 9, DEX 18, CON 16, INT 12, WIS 14, CHA 18.

CTurbo
2018-06-04, 12:25 AM
Somehow I broke my dice rolling curse today!

I'm playing a Half-Elf FeyLock: STR 9, DEX 18, CON 16, INT 12, WIS 14, CHA 18.

Awesome! Great stats!