PDA

View Full Version : Which Pokémon is best?

Spacehamster
2018-06-03, 03:21 AM
which Pokémon do you like most?
Probably Bulbasaur in my opinion.

Unoriginal
2018-06-03, 05:23 AM
So the little folk are hardly suited for the barb lifestyle or STR builds in general

Why?

Halflings have a +2 DEX , and Stout Halflings have +1 in CON. That makes them pretty good for the discouraged-from-using-much-armor Barbarians.

With a shield and your halfling luck, you can have one of the Barbarian who's the hardest to kill at low level.

Quoxis
2018-06-03, 05:30 AM
Why?

Halflings have a +2 DEX , and Stout Halflings have +1 in CON. That makes them pretty good for the discouraged-from-using-much-armor Barbarians.

With a shield and your halfling luck, you can have one of the Barbarian who's the hardest to kill at low level.

Adding to that: the only thing a human barbarian does better than a halfling is swinging a 1d12/2d6 maul instead of a d10 warhammer and (if using the standard array) that they can start with 16 instead of 15 strength.
If it was gnomes i‘d understand, but halflings aren‘t half bad as a barbarian.

Other than that: you can wear fur as a valor bard too, you can be a savage rogue, you can flavor almost any class as conan the barbarian. I don’t really get the question here.

Spacehamster
2018-06-03, 05:38 AM
Why?

Only sissy barbarians use a shield, either one big weapon or two smaller ones catch the feel of a barbarian, know it’s a fully functional and good build but it has no barbarian feel at all.

I mean what savage worth his salt hides behind a shield? ;)

Spacehamster
2018-06-03, 05:55 AM
Adding to that: the only thing a human barbarian does better than a halfling is swinging a 1d12/2d6 maul instead of a d10 warhammer and (if using the standard array) that they can start with 16 instead of 15 strength.
If it was gnomes i‘d understand, but halflings aren‘t half bad as a barbarian.

Other than that: you can wear fur as a valor bard too, you can be a savage rogue, you can flavor almost any class as conan the barbarian. I don’t really get the question here.

Wearing fur as a bard at the frontline? Prob not gonna work out that well with 10 + DEX as armor value, my point were that my build is cool, can fight with no armor and it catches a barb vibe without using STR and still being quite good.

Lombra
2018-06-03, 06:06 AM
You can play a halfling barbarian... in no way it is unplayable, it actually can be really good.

If you really feel the need to play a character with a theme strictly different from the class that you are playing, samurai fighter has a lot of barbarianish features, and can easily be played dex based. You can hang furs over your studded leather.

Quoxis
2018-06-03, 06:14 AM
Wearing fur as a bard at the frontline? Prob not gonna work out that well with 10 + DEX as armor value, my point were that my build is cool, can fight with no armor and it catches a barb vibe without using STR and still being quite good.

So the challenge is to build an unarmored melee combatant without strength? Then yeah, monk is pretty much the way to go. I could see a dex based caster with mage armor, maybe even an unarmored fighter or ranger with the magic initiate feat for that same spell, but meh...

Barbarians themselves do wear armor though, otherwise their rage feature wouldn’t specify that it only works without heavy armor. I‘ve seen plenty of medium armor barbarians, just so they can focus on Str. Halflings don‘t have a problem with armor, they can focus on str and still make good use of medium armor thanks to their dex boost - take a 12 in dex, with your racial bonus it’s a 14, that’s all you‘ll ever need, while you can pump up str and con with the rest of the stats, or use dex and crudely sanded shortswords if you despise str so much (though arguably thick muscles are as much a part of the barbarian image most people would likely have as anything else, and THE archetypal barbarian called Conan is mostly seen with one-handed weapons anyway).
Valor bards have that, and if they don’t run around in their fur-lined underpants they’re as competent as a barbarian, just bolstering themselves with spells instead of anger.

Again, i don’t understand the question. Did you post this to show off a neat idea and get a pat on the back for fluffing a savage monk or to discuss something?

Unoriginal
2018-06-03, 06:37 AM
Only sissy barbarians use a shield, either one big weapon or two smaller ones catch the feel of a barbarian, know it’s a fully functional and good build but it has no barbarian feel at all.

I mean what savage worth his salt hides behind a shield? ;)

Which

https://static3.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Conan-the-Barbarian.jpg

one

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/deadliestfiction/images/7/7e/Conan9.png/revision/latest?cb=20100829165532

would

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/4/41957/3659214-9072829159-31358.jpg

indeed?

Then again, Conan is more of a Fighter/Rogue, so make that what you will.

EDIT: given the change of the title/OP, the original topic and the casual use of terms like "sissy", I think Spacehamster was trolling.

Sception
2018-06-03, 10:32 AM

Post-dreamworld abilities and pre-gen 7, sableye, easily. It's small and cute, but also cool and creepy, with cool lore both in universe and in terms of the cryptid that inspired it. It's purple, which is the best color.

In terms of competitive value, yeah, the stats are a bit lackluster, but until gen 6, thst dark/ghost typing had no weaknesses, and once it got the prankster ability it became one of the most amazing utility pokemon in the game, with priority on amazing status moves like recover, will-o-wisp, thunder wave, attract, gravity, confuse ray, taunt, and swagger, but can still bring some pain with offesnsive gems like sucker punch or foul play. When you saw a sanleye you never knew what it was going to do, but you knew it was going to ruin your day.

Then gen 6 came, and sableye got a weakness in fairy type, and a rival for best prankster in klefki, and you might have though sableye's star was fading... until oras dropped with that mega evolution, and just wow. Mega kangaskahn? A chump. Mega salamence? Don't make me laugh. Mega sableye was the best of the bunch, picking your opponent's team apart with priority status moves in its regular form, before mega evolving to magic bounce your opponent's counterplay, calm mind up to omnipotence, and tear them down with snarl, dark pulse, or shafow ball.

Plus, mega sableye just looks great, not over-large or over-designed like so many other mega pokemon, mega sableye keeps everything great about the small, cute, & creepy regular sableye, and just cranks it ip a bit with those red eyes and that big old gem.

Unfortunately, sableye's star /has/ started to fade in gen 7. Oh, it's still great, but dark immunity to prankster and losing priority on the mega-evolution turn really have taken pokemon-Stitch down a peg. These days, I'd probably say mimikyu is best mon, but still it's *very* close.

AND it just so happens that I run a small, independant ghost pokemon ranch, which can be found at pokesception.tumblr.com. i haven't updated the page in a while, and the adoption page is a bit out of date, but I do have both sableyes and mimikyus available for anyone intetested, all competitively bred and housed in rare and aesthetically appealing moon balls, all done purely via in game methods, no hacks or pokegens.

So if you've ever though about raising one of these fantastic little gremlins, just let me know, and we can exchange friend codes.

Azreal
2018-06-03, 11:11 AM

I’m a total sucker for Charizard myself. His speed and special attack are even competitive and his Mega Charizard Y form gives him Drought which is great for pulling a Sunny Day team together.

Not to mention he can use Solar Beam which in combination with his high special attack and Draught its a one turn punch to those foolish water/rock/ground types getting in his way.

The Cats
2018-06-03, 11:42 AM
I like Krillin.

Wintorn
2018-06-03, 12:45 PM
I like Krillin.

Yeah, he's a pretty cool halfling.

jaappleton
2018-06-03, 04:35 PM
I like Krillin.

I always had a soft spot for Tien and I really dislike how they focus solely on Saiyans now. Even Piccolo barely fights at this point.

Kane0
2018-06-03, 04:43 PM

Blastoise, hands down. Only one that comes armed with dual cannons stock.
Failing that, maybe Scyther due to flight and x4 crits.

The Cats
2018-06-03, 04:47 PM
I always had a soft spot for Tien and I really dislike how they focus solely on Saiyans now. Even Piccolo barely fights at this point.

Tien is my favourite naruto.

Derpaligtr
2018-06-03, 04:57 PM

Feraligtr.

Looks like it will mess you up, has sheer force, and isn't a brokrn mess.

Phoenix042
2018-06-03, 05:21 PM
The best type of halfling barbarian build without actual barb levels is definitely either Krillin or Machop.

But my personal favorite halfling non-barbarian melee build is a goliath barbarian.

Who carries a shield.

Azreal
2018-06-03, 06:38 PM
The best type of halfling barbarian build without actual barb levels is definitely either Krillin or Machop.

But my personal favorite halfling non-barbarian melee build is a goliath barbarian.

Who carries a shield.

You made me cry laughing at work.

Fire Tarrasque
2018-06-03, 06:59 PM
I don't understand what this thread is?
WHAT IS THIS THREAD?

The Cats
2018-06-03, 07:08 PM
I don't understand what this thread is?
WHAT IS THIS THREAD?

Fire Tarrasque! I choose you!

Theodoxus
2018-06-03, 07:19 PM
I prefer Zelda, myself. That little green elf with his triangle shield and sword... so classic barbarian. Zelda FTW!

Sage Tellah
2018-06-03, 07:27 PM
Well my favorite is Skarmory. Thing looks badass and is a massive, hard to shift defensive wall. Giant flying metal bird!

Sethv007
2018-06-03, 07:50 PM
This whole thread made my head hurt.
Infernape? Probably Infernape.

The Cats
2018-06-03, 08:17 PM
Infernape is my favourite zelda.

Foxhound438
2018-06-03, 08:32 PM
for the longest time it was tyranitar, but after trying out full special shear force nidoking it's a much tougher choice. Given the presence of intimidate on some of the more popular pokemon, though, i'd have to go for the nidoking if i were going into a pvp battle.

Derpaligtr
2018-06-03, 08:45 PM
You know, now that I think about it, you're right.

If you ROM hacked Pokemon, you could make a good single player D&D rpg!

Make it where you don't have Pokemon, just a "trainer" (PC) with a class (I would go Psychic Type, Dark Type, and Fighting Type as your main choice) which gives your trainer abilities (you could set up specific TM for each type option you pick). Your initial selection of boy/girl could be race, with each race having a different pokemon type (can't be the same type as you already have?).

Then you go around fighting monsters and other people with abilities (trainers could always be a Psychic/Dark/Fighting type and their race could determine a secondary type)

Hmm...

Foxhound438
2018-06-03, 09:13 PM
You know, now that I think about it, you're right.

If you ROM hacked Pokemon, you could make a good single player D&D rpg!

Make it where you don't have Pokemon, just a "trainer" (PC) with a class (I would go Psychic Type, Dark Type, and Fighting Type as your main choice) which gives your trainer abilities (you could set up specific TM for each type option you pick). Your initial selection of boy/girl could be race, with each race having a different pokemon type (can't be the same type as you already have?).

Then you go around fighting monsters and other people with abilities (trainers could always be a Psychic/Dark/Fighting type and their race could determine a secondary type)

Hmm...

At that point you're probably better off being the pokemon, and have more or less human-like options for "class". Like machop the fighter, abra the sorcerer, etc. Then you would make an adventure in which early on you run into the other "party members", and then go on a quest with them. Probably would work well with more recent generation tech, since tripple battles are already coded into the games, and you could maybe extrapolate those mechanics into a 4 character format.

Derpaligtr
2018-06-03, 09:39 PM
At that point you're probably better off being the pokemon, and have more or less human-like options for "class". Like machop the fighter, abra the sorcerer, etc. Then you would make an adventure in which early on you run into the other "party members", and then go on a quest with them. Probably would work well with more recent generation tech, since tripple battles are already coded into the games, and you could maybe extrapolate those mechanics into a 4 character format.

Nah, that's a bit too cartoonish and you might as well play Pokemon Ranger or whatever those side games are called (where you play as a pokemon). I wouldn't want to keep the light hearted nature of the Pokemon games and would use D&D plots, names, and stuff like that.

I would actually get rid of a lot of the cuter pokemon and just leave the screwed up/scary ones for the most part (you may run into the cuter ones, but not fight them as they're babies). People don't really kill cute things in D&D (not always at least).

I would want to rom hack one of the older games as there's a pretty good sized community for that sort of stuff.

Double battles were in some of the older games and you could work with that as a horde mechanic. Though 1 v 6, with a free random switch out in some way for the enemy would make for a good horde mechanic using older games...

I would rather tailor the movepool without having any preconceived ideas of what moves your PC should have. If you had an abra or machop, it would be weird seeing them learn thunderbolt and it would be out of place. But if you have a generic trainer (that is your avatar) it wouldn't be so weird.

I wouldn't even give them party members. Though you could set it up where you have double battles with other NPCs against enemies. The NPC wouldn't be controllable.

Kane0
2018-06-03, 11:27 PM
I think I remember AD&D doing the pokemon thing at one stage. IIRC each type was a class and so dual-classed characters were like dual-type pokemon, with race largely just for determining stats.

Edit: That said, isn't there a legit pokemon RPG anyways?

Falcon X
2018-06-04, 12:51 AM
Seriously, all Primape needs is a shield to make him the best Barbarian. He’s horrible on defense, so give him that and he could bust it up!

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-06-04, 10:03 AM

How can I pick just one?!?

Agumon is pretty neat. But I'd have to say it's a tie between Shy Guy, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Blue-Eyes White Dragon.

Snarf gets an honorable mention though.

Rogerdodger557
2018-06-04, 10:08 AM
I think I remember AD&D doing the pokemon thing at one stage. IIRC each type was a class and so dual-classed characters were like dual-type pokemon, with race largely just for determining stats.

Edit: That said, isn't there a legit pokemon RPG anyways?

There is, and it uses a d20 system I believe.

Derpaligtr
2018-06-04, 10:19 AM
There is, and it uses a d20 system I believe.

Using the 5e system would be pretty easy. Have all the pokemon stats just be opposed rolls. Allow each person to have a pool of moves they can choose from (at a gym) but can only keep 4 at a time. Things like sword dance gives advantage on the oposed roll.

I might have a thing to do now.

MagneticKitty
2018-06-04, 12:41 PM
How can I pick just one?!?

Agumon is pretty neat. But I'd have to say it's a tie between Shy Guy, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Blue-Eyes White Dragon.

Snarf gets an honorable mention though.

I think Toothless is my favorite pokeman.
His lightning / birb typing makes him immune to ground.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-06-04, 12:56 PM
I think Toothless is my favorite pokeman.
His lightning / birb typing makes him immune to ground.

I thought he was a Lightning/Dragon Pokemon type right? That makes him even better!

MagneticKitty
2018-06-04, 03:05 PM
I thought he was a Lightning/Dragon Pokemon type right? That makes him even better!
Your right, he was lightning dargon with levitate

Derpaligtr
2018-06-04, 03:38 PM
Your right, he was lightning dargon with levitate

Levitate? I thought it had Cute Charm?

Joe the Rat
2018-06-05, 08:11 AM
Dammit, now your making me want to map these ridiculous D&D damage types onto the more sensible 8+untyped model.

And figure out how to make a proper Blue Mage.

The Cats
2018-06-05, 08:19 AM
Toothless is my favourite final fantasy.

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-06-05, 10:40 AM
Final Fantasy III is the best Halo game.

Derpaligtr
2018-06-05, 07:51 PM
Dammit, now your making me want to map these ridiculous D&D damage types onto the more sensible 8+untyped model.

And figure out how to make a proper Blue Mage.

I got a bit bored on my day off today, and it's hotter than crazy outside, but it's nowhere near perfect but here's the start of a Blue Mage.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?560686-The-Blue-Mage-A-class-that-gets-better-when-things-get-worse!

Blackbando
2018-06-06, 07:45 AM
Relevant thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?509900-Pokemon-Player-Races-for-D-amp-D-Fifth-Edition)