PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best backgrounds?! Skills/Tools/Languages/Features

Merudo
2018-06-03, 05:20 AM
I've not seen character backgrounds discussed in detail on this forum.

I decided to make a list of backgrounds worthy of note. Choices underlined are from the PHB.

Note that this is mostly for DMs that don't allow customized backgrounds, or to give ideas for a starting point in character creation. However, the background feature part, which can't be as easily customized, can be useful for all tables.

Backgrounds with popular skills:

Perception: Sailor/Pirate, Far Traveler, Hillsfar Smuggler, Stojanow Prisoner

Athleticism: Sailor/Pirate, Soldier, City Watch, Earthspur Miner, Harborfolk, Initiate, Mercenary Veteran, Outlander, Phlan Refugee, Uthgardt Tribe Member

Arcana: Sage, Cloistered Scholar, Haunted One, Inheritor

Insight: Acolyte, Guild Artisan, Guild Merchant, Anthropologist, Black Fist Double Agent, City Watch, Clan Crafter, Courtier, Faction Agent, Far Traveler, Hillsfar Merchant, Investigator, Phlan Refugee, Urban Bounty Hunter

Investigation: Haunted One, Inquisitor, Investigator, Trade Sheriff

Persuasion: Guild Artisan, Guild Merchant, Knight , Noble, Courtier, Hillsfar Merchant, Knight of the Order, Mercenary Veteran, Trade Sheriff, Urban Bounty Hunter, Waterdhavian Noble

Stealth: Criminal/Spy,Urchin, Hillsfar Smuggler, Iron Route Bandit, Phlan Insurgent, Secret Identity, Urban Bounty Hunter

Backgrounds with popular tools proficiencies:

Thieves' tools: Urchin, Criminal/Spy, Inquisitor, Urban Bounty Hunter, Stojanow Prisoner, Gate Urchin, Trade Sheriff

Disguise kit: Charlatan, Entertainer, Urchin, Black Fist Double Agent, Secret Identity

Backgrounds with useful features:

Acolyte: Free healing at your temple

Charlatan: Comes with a second identity already established. Choosing acolyte/noble/pirate/etc as your second identity could get your the corresponding background feature while in disguise.

Hermit: Entirely dependent on what the DM will allow your discovery to be

Noble: 3 retainers to do menial tasks for you OR welcomed in high society

Pirate: Most people will not report your criminal activity to the authorities

Sage: Often know where and from whom you can obtain lore information

Wanderer: Always recall the general layout of terrain + Free food for 5 people per day

Cloistered Scholar: Amazing if you are a Wizard and the DM let you access library containing spellbooks or spell scrolls.

Faction Agent: access to a secret network of supporters and operatives

Inheritor: Possibly useful object

Far Traveler: Automatic in for socialites

Urban Bounty Hunter: Point of contact in any town you go to.

Khrysaes
2018-06-03, 05:35 AM
Features:

Outlander: food and water easy.

Far Traveler: Automatic in for socialites.

Urban Bounty Hunter: Point of contact in any town you go to.

Ticklebelly nomad, COS backgrounds: Find a place to hide rest and recuperate when out in the wild, concealed from natural threats, but not always supernatural ones.

JellyPooga
2018-06-03, 05:41 AM
I'd add the Hermit background for Herbalism Kit as a popular(ish) Tool.

Another out-field notable mention would be Entertainer (Gladiator variant) for an "exotic" Weapon proficiency. Perhaps not "popular", bit it does open up a few additional concepts for the likes of Rogues and other non-martially trained Classes.

Merudo
2018-06-03, 05:44 AM
I'd add the Hermit background for Herbalism Kit as a popular(ish) Tool.

How does the Herbalist Kit works, exactly? I've never seen it being used in a campaign. It's unclear to me how to collect the ingredients to craft healing potions, for example.

Another out-field notable mention would be Entertainer (Gladiator variant) for an "exotic" Weapon proficiency.

I'm not sure how it works - it seems you merely gain a weapon, not gain proficiency in it. Of course, if your DM gives you a free weapon proficiency, it can be awesome.

LudicSavant
2018-06-03, 06:24 AM
Best background is custom background. It's not even a variant, like stuff everyone seems to take for granted like Feats.

mephnick
2018-06-03, 06:35 AM
Best background is custom background.

Pretty much. I've never just chosen a set background and used it. It really bugs me that like 90% of the backgrounds give you Insight proficiency.

Unoriginal
2018-06-03, 07:02 AM
Backgrounds are inherently modulable and you can make anything you want with them as long as it's reasonable.

There is no "best" background, and it's not an "optimization" topic.

Tanarii
2018-06-03, 08:45 AM
Features:

Outlander: food and water easy.
Wanderer is a very good class feature. But one thing most people miss about it is that using it to Forage still causes you to lose the ability to use perception perception to notice threats, and thus automatically be surprised in any attempt ambush.

Ganymede
2018-06-03, 08:59 AM
Could you please make a guide detailing the best personality traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws for particular builds?

Rickety Stick
2018-06-03, 09:19 AM
While backrounds are modable, it can still be useful to have a list like this. For example, some Dm's might only allow their players to use published backrounds.

Tanarii
2018-06-03, 09:21 AM
Could you please make a guide detailing the best personality traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws for particular builds?
I'm assuming you skipped blue text, but that's not a bad idea really.

Of course the difference is the player can freely make up their own personality. Backgrounds are the province of the DM, and the DMg makes clear. Although obviously it behooves a DM to listen to a player that wants to tweak one slightly per the PHB.

JNAProductions
2018-06-03, 09:26 AM
Best Background is the one that matches your character-usually a custom one.

Unoriginal
2018-06-03, 09:49 AM
I'm assuming you skipped blue text, but that's not a bad idea really.

Tanarii, are you seriously suggesting that you can optimize flaws, bonds and traits as part of a build?

PeteNutButter
2018-06-03, 10:12 AM
Tanarii, are you seriously suggesting that you can optimize flaws, bonds and traits as part of a build?

Well optimal is hard to define in these situations, but I think the most optimal would be a character that the DM could never tell you you aren't playing correctly. There are two ways to do that, eiher build a character personality that is as close to your real life one as possible or to build the chaotic jerk who can do anything.

So to keep it broad, let's go criminal:

Personality Trait
I always have a plan for what to do when things go wrong.
This is by far the best choice, because as soon as things go wrong you can ask the DM what your character's plan is, and bingo he has to give you the solution.

Ideal
Freedom
Chains are meant to be broken, as are those who would forge them. (Chaotic)
Obvious choice as the DM can't argue with you being erratic. Be careful though as if the campaign contains any slavers this one can get you into choppy waters where you might feel obligated to free slaves and things can get mandatory.

People
I'm loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down to Styx for all I care. (Neutral)
In these cases, but make sure to clarify that those bastards you play with aren't on your short list of people who you call "friends." This actually gives more freedom than the Greed one even if your DM allows evil alignments.

Bond
My ill gotten gains go to support my family
Now it's important that your backstory has that all your real family is dead. What's the family your bond speaks of? Get creative. Yourself? Your family jewels? It doesn't matter.

Someone I loved died because of a mistake I made. That will never happen again.
This one deserves honorable mention because if you ever make a tactical mistake in combat that leads to another PC's death, you can use this feature to force the DM to retcon it. It's strong stuff, but since you never make tactical mistakes, I'd stick with the first one.

JellyPooga
2018-06-03, 10:16 AM

Absolutely. A character that is scared of dogs (to pick a random flaw from the aether) is subpar compared to one who, say, has a weakness for wooong members of the opposite sex when he's in town. At least as far as combat might be concerned.

Tanarii
2018-06-03, 10:21 AM
Tanarii, are you seriously suggesting that you can optimize flaws, bonds and traits as part of a build?No I was suggesting you can pick ones that are better fit for certain classes and races, as opposed to a weird fit. Although sometimes weird fits are fun to figure out, often they can feel forced. For that matter, sometimes within a background there are clashing Personality traits, Ideals and Flaws.

As someone who has taken characters with randomly rolled personality traits out of the PHB to AL games, let me tell you I had to discard a few as just too weird or clashy. :smallamused:

Absolutely. A character that is scared of dogs (to pick a random flaw from the aether) is subpar compared to one who, say, has a weakness for wooong members of the opposite sex when he's in town. At least as far as combat might be concerned.Not what I meant, but yeah there's a Flaw for Criminals that's says something like "I run if I'm outnumbered". That's a flaw that can easily get partys killed if played poorly.

Unoriginal
2018-06-03, 10:23 AM
Well, I won't say I vomited all over my computer reading this. But it'd have been more enjoyable.

mephnick
2018-06-03, 12:01 PM

Maybe not as a class build but there are absolutely optimal mechanical choices if your DM bases inspiration off of bonds and flaws. It's a lot easier to play up "I protect those who cannot protect themselves" vs "I'll always remember my first love" if you're fishing for inspiration.

Unoriginal
2018-06-03, 12:02 PM
Maybe not as a class build but there are absolutely optimal mechanical choices if your DM bases inspiration off of bonds and flaws. It's a lot easier to play up "I protect those who cannot protect themselves" vs "I'll always remember my first love" if you're fishing for inspiration.

yeah, because roleplay must be gamed for benefits.

No personality in RPGs, only numbers.

mephnick
2018-06-03, 12:15 PM
yeah, because roleplay must be gamed for benefits.

No personality in RPGs, only numbers.

Yeah and you don't need to optimize stats, but people still do it. We don't use inspiration, so it's not a thing at my table, but it's not hard to see some traits are better than others from a mechanical perspetive depending on the table.

Beelzebubba
2018-06-03, 01:03 PM

There's a critical part of that flow missing about 'obeys the bond/flaw when there's a mechanically optimal alternative that's more sensible and less risky'.

So, 'I'll always remember my first love' is worthless because it won't lead to any sub-optimal behavior. So, they won't earn any Inspiration because nothing they do will be risky enough to merit it.

People who choose weak-sauce bonds are playing an inherently less character-driven game. That's fine, not everyone wants that.

Tanarii
2018-06-03, 01:15 PM
IMO most Bonds are there as DM adventure hooks for the DM to use. Or abuse, if you prefer. "I'll always remeber my first love" is a classic kidnappable NPC adventure hook. Same for always remebering your first Ship for sailors, or doing anything for your old troupe for Entertainers, or a horrible mentor believed to be rotting in jail for charlatans. Adventure hooks.

Merudo
2018-06-03, 02:41 PM
Backgrounds are inherently modulable and you can make anything you want with them as long as it's reasonable.

There is no "best" background, and it's not an "optimization" topic.

Choosing the feature is at least an optimization topic.

Unoriginal
2018-06-03, 03:09 PM
Choosing the feature is at least an optimization topic.

No, it's not.

You can't take "has a military rank", "has discovered a secret" or "has buddies in a guild" and pretend to give a ranking on what X character should take.

Or you could declare all of the ones which don't give a quantifiable bonus to be trash. Which would be inherently reducing whole characters to nothing but neat little numbers to exploit.

But eh, I'm half-expecting this will be advocated next.

mgshamster
2018-06-03, 03:27 PM
Here you go, the all inclusive guide to backgrounds:

Skills: Any. Pick whatever skills you want.

Tool/Languages: Any. Pick whatever tools and/or languages you want.

Personality Traits, Ideals, Bonds, and Flaws: Any. Pick which ever you want that best fits your character.

Background Features: Any. Pick the one you want that fits your character. If you have a custom idea, this guide (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2t8u4?Bookrats-Advice-on-Designing-Background) shows you what to look out for when designing your own.

Merudo
2018-06-21, 05:41 AM
Here you go, the all inclusive guide to backgrounds:

Skills: Any. Pick whatever skills you want.

Tool/Languages: Any. Pick whatever tools and/or languages you want.

Personality Traits, Ideals, Bonds, and Flaws: Any. Pick which ever you want that best fits your character.

Background Features: Any. Pick the one you want that fits your character. If you have a custom idea, this guide (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2t8u4?Bookrats-Advice-on-Designing-Background) shows you what to look out for when designing your own.

Awesome! Also let me to this amazing Fighter/Bard/Cleric/Druid/Wizard/etc guide in just your style:

Race: Any you would like to play

Ability Scores: Any you want that the DM will allow.

Skills: Any allowed by your class that fits your character.

Spells: Any on your spellcasting list you feel is appropriate.

Subclass: Any your DM will allow.

Feats: Any one you'd like

I guess we can delete every other guide on this forum guys, mgshamster found out the best strategy there can be for builds.

ProseBeforeHos
2018-06-21, 06:00 AM
Players handbook page 125 under the heading "Customizing a background".

You might want to tweak some of the features of a background so it better fits your character or the campaign setting. To customize a background, you can replace one feature with any other one, choose any two skills, and choose a total of two tool proficiencies or languages from the sample backgrounds. You can either use the equipment package from your background or spend coin on gear as described in chapter 5. (lf you spend coin, you can't also take the equipment package suggested
for your class.)

Finally, choose two personality traits, one ideal. one bond, and one flaw. lf you can't find a feature that matches your desired background, work with your DM to create one.

The "most optimal background" is whatever you want. I suppose if you really wanted to cheese then I would suggest perception/insight for skills, thieves tools + a single language that is like to be relevant to your campaign (Giant for SKT for example), and then maybe the noble or out lander background feature (with noble equipment list).

Kinda lame though...

Unoriginal
2018-06-21, 06:06 AM
I guess we can delete every other guide on this forum guys, mgshamster found out the best strategy there can be for builds.

You say that with sarcasm, I'll repeat it without irony.

This is 5e.

You can take any race, any ability score, any skill, any spell, any sublcass, any feat you'd like, and unless you're deliberately trying to make a weak character or doing things at random, you will have a competent character.

So yes, that's the best strategy there can be for builds. Actually playing what you like with the character you like is the best strategy there can be for builds.

Pelle
2018-06-21, 06:19 AM
One thing I enjoy about the backgrounds, is that they can be used themselves (not only the skills and features) as a reason for giving out information freely to certain characters, giving out Advantage, or assuming the character automatically succeed on a task.

Oh, you are a Noble, you probably know who this artistocrat person is. Oh, you are a Sailor, of course you know how to tie knots. Etc.

I love the Guild Artisan. Bit boring skills and features, but cool flavor.

Merudo
2018-06-21, 06:36 AM
You say that with sarcasm, I'll repeat it without irony.

This is 5e.

You can take any race, any ability score, any skill, any spell, any sublcass, any feat you'd like, and unless you're deliberately trying to make a weak character or doing things at random, you will have a competent character.

So yes, that's the best strategy there can be for builds. Actually playing what you like with the character you like is the best strategy there can be for builds.

Your perspective seems a bit limited to me.

No one is arguing that roleplay concerns aren't important, or that blatantly ignoring optimization when creating a character can't be fun.

However, there are a lot of people out there (including me!) who derive enjoyment by designing & creating a character that can maximally contribute to the 3 pillars of D&D (combat, social & exploration) for a given campaign.

Such "optimization" can include purposely choosing a feature that lets you feed 6 people for free, or one that gets free healing spells for your group, instead of one that let you understand the local bureaucracy.

What you are basically saying here is that what I'm doing is “badwrongfun”. Haters gonna hate, I suppose.

Unoriginal
2018-06-21, 08:03 AM
Your perspective seems a bit limited to me.

You're the one arguing to reduce a character's life in the world before they started adventuring to nothing but a mere mechanical advantage, and *I*'m the one with a limited perspective?

Such "optimization" can include purposely choosing a feature that lets you feed 6 people for free, or one that gets free healing spells for your group, instead of one that let you understand the local bureaucracy.

In other word, you don't care about the character's background, aka who the character is. Only about the benefits it gives you.

However, there are a lot of people out there (including me!) who derive enjoyment by designing & creating a character that can maximally contribute to the 3 pillars of D&D (combat, social & exploration) for a given campaign.

Well color me surprised, I've never seen any "optimization" for social aside from "take CHA or CHA-linked proficiency, maybe avoid X race".

What you are basically saying here is that what I'm doing is “badwrongfun”. Haters gonna hate, I suppose.

And what you're basically saying is that characters don't matter, only the numbers on the sheets do. So yes, I hate that.

If you find it fun, it's your prerogative, I have no business dictating your tastes.

But if you start advocating for it, don't expect me to not advocate against.

Merudo
2018-06-21, 08:49 AM
Unoriginal, I'm afraid I don't find our conversation productive so I will keep this brief.

Optimization doesn't negate roleplaying. Any character, from the most munchkin to the least optimized, can be roleplayed in an enjoyable manner.

What optimization does is limit what sort of characters are to be played. Someone concerned about optimization will tend to pick "effective" characters and won't play as broad a range as someone who isn't concerned about optimization. Of course, this isn't a dichotomy and more of a spectrum - nearly everyone is concerned by optimization at least a bit and choose a race mecanically appropriate for their class, for example (that's why you don't see tons of Forest Gnome Barbarians around). Just how much optimization a player decides to do is ultimately their choice.

I'd add that picking a Background feature through optimization doesn't necessarily constraint roleplaying choices at all. Selecting "Wanderer" for a Barbarian or "Acolyte" for a Cleric/Paladin are both strong choices that don't really limit RP concepts - picking these background just give you a nice mechanical benefit.

JNAProductions
2018-06-21, 09:05 AM
Unoriginal, I'm afraid I don't find our conversation productive so I will keep this brief.

Optimization doesn't negate roleplaying. Any character, from the most munchkin to the least optimized, can be roleplayed in an enjoyable manner.

What optimization does is limit what sort of characters are to be played. Someone concerned about optimization will tend to pick "effective" characters and won't play as broad a range as someone who isn't concerned about optimization. Of course, this isn't a dichotomy and more of a spectrum - nearly everyone is concerned by optimization at least a bit and choose a race mecanically appropriate for their class, for example (that's why you don't see tons of Forest Gnome Barbarians around). Just how much optimization a player decides to do is ultimately their choice.

I'd add that picking a Background feature through optimization doesn't necessarily constraint roleplaying choices at all. Selecting "Wanderer" for a Barbarian or "Acolyte" for a Cleric/Paladin are both strong choices that don't really limit RP concepts - picking these background just give you a nice mechanical benefit.

I'm an optimizer. But backgrounds should be selected based on the character. And yes, those choices limit RP Concepts.

An Acolyte Cleric or Paladin HAS to be religious, or at least temple-affiliated. What about an Oath of Vengeance Paladin who simply swore to kill those who burned down his home town? No temples involved.

An Outlander Barbarian can't be a nobleman who has an angry side, or a soldier in the king's army who's rage let him survive an attack from the orcish hordes.

They fit the cliche (which isn't a bad thing), but they certainly don't fit every concept.

Merudo
2018-06-21, 09:21 AM
I'm an optimizer. But backgrounds should be selected based on the character. And yes, those choices limit RP Concepts.

An Acolyte Cleric or Paladin HAS to be religious, or at least temple-affiliated. What about an Oath of Vengeance Paladin who simply swore to kill those who burned down his home town? No temples involved.

An Outlander Barbarian can't be a nobleman who has an angry side, or a soldier in the king's army who's rage let him survive an attack from the orcish hordes.

They fit the cliche (which isn't a bad thing), but they certainly don't fit every concept.

The PHB says:

Barbarians are uncomfortable when hedged in by walls and crowds. They thrive in the wilds of their homelands: the tundra, jungle, or grasslands where their tribes live and hunt (p.46)

Most adventuring clerics maintain some connection to established temples and orders of their faiths. (p.57)

Look, I get what you are saying. Some character concepts simply won't mesh with the most useful background features. But pretending RP and "optimized" background features always clash is disingenuous, because for a significant number of cases, they just don't.

JNAProductions
2018-06-21, 09:25 AM
But that's not what you said. You said:

Each background only has so many concepts that make sense with them. So if you pick one based solely on mechanics, you could limit yourself from a concept you want.

Merudo
2018-06-21, 09:31 AM
I guess I should have written "don't significantly limit" instead of "don't really limit". My bad.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-06-21, 10:08 AM
I'm currently doing narrative backgrounds. They pick what they did before they were an adventurer (without being limited to the list in the PHB), and two skills that fit. Any two skills. Then we pick the feature that best fits. The focus is on the character.