PDA

View Full Version : DM Help What if Acererak never existed?(minor ToA Spoilers)

OzDragon
2018-06-03, 06:14 AM
Hello there! In our current game one of our parties ventured into Chult to stop Acererak. We have a ongoing story line about a planar convergence happening soon. During this convergence "Words of Making" can be used to change the world. Words of Making are god magic that can alter the past present and future. The more you have the more you can change.

Bad guys are searching for them to their ends. Good guys are searching for them to stop the bad guys. We added one to the Acererak story line and the party used the magic to make it to where Acererak never existed. Needless to say after the group made this happen they "wake up" back at home never remembering going to Omu cause technically they didn't! Hooray paradoxes!

Omu is now a bustling city, the nine trickster gods still live, Undead are not in Chult (at least not like they were) and so on.

Now that this has happened what other changes would be made to Fearun due to the non existence of Acererak? I know that there will be massive changes to Oearth but have no real clue what he did on Fearun.

Unoriginal
2018-06-03, 06:55 AM
Hello there! In our current game one of our parties ventured into Chult to stop Acererak. We have a ongoing story line about a planar convergence happening soon. During this convergence "Words of Making" can be used to change the world. Words of Making are god magic that can alter the past present and future. The more you have the more you can change.

Bad guys are searching for them to their ends. Good guys are searching for them to stop the bad guys. We added one to the Acererak story line and the party used the magic to make it to where Acererak never existed. Needless to say after the group made this happen they "wake up" back at home never remembering going to Omu cause technically they didn't! Hooray paradoxes!

Omu is now a bustling city, the nine trickster gods still live, Undead are not in Chult (at least not like they were) and so on.

Now that this has happened what other changes would be made to Fearun due to the non existence of Acererak? I know that there will be massive changes to Oearth but have no real clue what he did on Fearun.

Actually the Undeads in Chult's jungles have basically nothing to do with Acererak, they're due to Ras Nsi's magic.

Also I think Omu was wrecked by an earthquake in-between current days and Acererak's takeover.

Acererak basically did nothing big on Faerun aside from the Tomb. Probably killed a few people, created a few lesser dungeons, inspired a few bad guys, helped the creation of some Liches, but overall not much.

If Omu is a bustling city, though, then maybe it managed to take control of Chult rather than having invaders do that, which would significantly change the land.

OzDragon
2018-06-03, 07:03 AM
Actually the Undeads in Chult's jungles have basically nothing to do with Acererak, they're due to Ras Nsi's magic.

If Omu is a bustling city, though, then maybe it managed to take control of Chult rather than having invaders do that, which would significantly change the land.

Yes but did Ras Nsi ever come to any power? (that i know is something i as a DM need to come up with. But given where he made his powerbase in Omu I'm gonna say no.

Yes it has significantly changed chult.

Ok So Acererak did nothing of import other than the Tomb itself. Thanks

hewhosaysfish
2018-06-03, 07:15 AM

I'm not familiar with ToA but if it had the same philosophy as ToH, then there will be more and higher level adventurers running around now.

Unoriginal
2018-06-03, 07:32 AM
Yes but did Ras Nsi ever come to any power? (that i know is something i as a DM need to come up with. But given where he made his powerbase in Omu I'm gonna say no.

Ras Nsi's power has nothing to do with Omu. The Yuan-Ti just took Omu because it was available, after their first city got cursed.

Without Omu, they'd just go to, say, Merzo's ruins or any other available/conquerable place, like the dwarves' forge, the abandoned city where the hag lives, or any other settlements or ruins in the jungle.

Basically, yeah. Don't think he ever had any interest in Faerun, he just thought that the Omuans' death games were funny, the place a good location to set up a dungeon, and the nine gods an useful tool.

MaxWilson
2018-06-03, 08:02 AM

Maybe I'm just a jerk who loves Nice Job Breaking It, Hero! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NiceJobBreakingItHero) but personally I'd make it a post-apocalyptic wasteland in which is turns out that some minor character who died ignominiously in the originally timeline (perhaps in one of Acererak's dungeons) did NOT die in this timeline and so was a key element in creating a planet-wide disaster. E.g. sold out the location on Faerun of a Word of Making to the githyanki, triggering a planetwide githyanki + red dragon invasion in order to secure control of the Word of Making, or however it works in your cosmology.

OzDragon
2018-06-03, 09:59 AM
I'm not familiar with ToA but if it had the same philosophy as ToH, then there will be more and higher level adventurers running around now.

Hey I just thought of something. If any of you had characters that dies in ToA or ToH we just saved them all. You are welcome!

MaxWilson
2018-06-03, 10:08 AM
Hey I just thought of something. If any of you had characters that dies in ToA or ToH we just saved them all. You are welcome!

And you owe $49.95 to each and every DM for wrecking their Tomb of Annihilation purchase. :-)

Beelzebubba
2018-06-03, 01:15 PM
It would be a lot of work, but I'd rewrite everyone's characters in Shadowrun or Cyberpunk 2020, hand them those sheets at the beginning of the next game, and start planning a hit on the lead scientist a South Korean zaibatsu arcology specializing in nanotechnology, and keep a straight face as long as you possibly can.

HolyDraconus
2018-06-03, 01:47 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, but if the Faerun Gods (capital G) couldn't stop Ace, as well as the entire known multiverse unable to use their combined power to locate his weakspot, those words of power would do next to nothing to him. As someone earlier in the thread remarked, Ace's whole reason for being in Chult is as a punchline to a joke. Hell, he's literally creating a God that can challenge the Faerun patheon if it came to fruit. Luckily, the adventurers came and stop it in the Tomb. Yet he created all that as a side project to kill time.

OzDragon
2018-06-03, 03:40 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, but if the Faerun Gods (capital G) couldn't stop Ace, as well as the entire known multiverse unable to use their combined power to locate his weakspot, those words of power would do next to nothing to him. As someone earlier in the thread remarked, Ace's whole reason for being in Chult is as a punchline to a joke. Hell, he's literally creating a God that can challenge the Faerun patheon if it came to fruit. Luckily, the adventurers came and stop it in the Tomb. Yet he created all that as a side project to kill time.

Well the words of making are basically god magic to begin with. Words of Creation as they are known to the DMs. This was magic that was used to create the multiverse.

So yeah in our game they can delete Acererak from existence.