PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Making the ultamit you cant see me Ninja.

Gydian
2018-06-03, 01:37 PM
I’m starting a new summer campaign that will have rotating DM’s with characters leveling fast. I thought why not make a warforged ninja. I can be the ultamit stealthy guy with the RP that I don’t move not even to breath. Ovcores the characters name is Shadow.

We’re starting at level 3. So far monk/rouge is the build but I’m looking to see if there might be a better way to do it. I’m specifically looking for homebrew stuff, but I haven’t found anything that would give expertise in stealth (unstelthy ninja? Why are you here?).

Any ideas from WotC books or homebrew welcome

Thanks in advanced.

CTurbo
2018-06-03, 01:56 PM
Why Warforged? You'd be better off with a race that has extra hiding abilities like Wood Elf, Lightfoot Halfling, Firbolg, etc...

I would definitely take at least 3 levels of Gloom Stalker Ranger for extra darkvision and extra hiding. Gloom Stalker/Shadow Monk would be great. You only need 1 level of Rogue to get Expertise in Stealth.
2 levels of Warlock get you Invocations and with that you can see in total darkness even magical. 2 levels of Warlock make you somewhat MAD though.

Callin
2018-06-03, 01:57 PM
Dont rule out Gloomstalker Ranger.

samuraijaques
2018-06-03, 02:00 PM
I’m starting a new summer campaign that will have rotating DM’s with characters leveling fast. I thought why not make a warforged ninja. I can be the ultamit stealthy guy with the RP that I don’t move not even to breath. Ovcores the characters name is Shadow.

We’re starting at level 3. So far monk/rouge is the build but I’m looking to see if there might be a better way to do it. I’m specifically looking for homebrew stuff, but I haven’t found anything that would give expertise in stealth (unstelthy ninja? Why are you here?).

Any ideas from WotC books or homebrew welcome

Thanks in advanced.

Well rogue gives you expertise in any two skills one of which can be stealth. There's the stealthy feat from UA that grants expertise in stealth and the skulker feat which allows you to hide in dim light and not be at disadvantage on perception checks. If you want to be a ninja the shadow monk is definitely the way to do it with either a 2 level dip in warlock for the darkness/devil's sight combo or a single level of rogue for sneak attack, skills and expertise.

Hope it helps

bid
2018-06-03, 02:02 PM
ultimate*

You definitely want skulker and expertise in stealth. Ranger 5 for pass without trace.
Of course, grassland druid 3 has both pass without trace and invisibility.

Sethv007
2018-06-03, 08:00 PM
Can you not just name him John Cena and let nature take its course?

Gydian
2018-06-03, 08:02 PM
Warforged scout gives +1 to dex and darkvision, plus +1 to AC
I just like playing the robot.

I get pass without a trace from monk 3 Stealthy feet means I don’t need rouge.
Warlock is something that I keep hearing here but seeing through magical darkness doesn’t come up unless you are casting it.

Thinking about it now I don’t know if I need to multiclass.

Foxhound438
2018-06-03, 08:07 PM
shadow monk gets cheap and early access to pass without trace, so probably start monk 3, then take 2 more for extra attack, then get 2 levels of rogue for expertise and bonus action hide. Shadow monk gives you the ability to turn invisible at level 11, and then monk 18 gives you a stronger invisibility effect.

Lunali
2018-06-03, 08:48 PM
I get pass without a trace from monk 3 Stealthy feet means I don’t need rouge.
Warlock is something that I keep hearing here but seeing through magical darkness doesn’t come up unless you are casting it.

Devil's sight also removes the penalty to perception in darkness, though by RAW it doesn't affect dim light. (darkvision only reduces darkness to dim light, which still has a penalty)

Foxhound438
2018-06-03, 09:08 PM
Devil's sight also removes the penalty to perception in darkness, though by RAW it doesn't affect dim light. (darkvision only reduces darkness to dim light, which still has a penalty)

Eh, even then warforged monk is already hard enough on stats. Having neither of your power stats boosted by race makes stat greedy multiclass basically out of the question.

Talionis
2018-06-04, 09:13 AM
Dont rule out Gloomstalker Ranger.

I think 3 levels of this would be an enormous help. Being able to be invisible to creatures that have Dark Vision at level 3. The requirements are 13 Wisdom and 13 Dex, both you should have as a Monk.

I would say Ranger 3/Rogue 1/X (which could include Monk, but doesn't have to). I like to get Extra Attacks with Rogue so I would probably get to Ranger 5 if I was going to go the rest of the Way Rogue. Lots of options on the type of Rogue you want to go, Thief might be a good choice.

I like Warlock for a lot of things, but it makes for an interesting Stealthy build because you can get invisibility and spells like Disguise Self. Lots of great Invocations and Cantrips for illusions that can make sneaky stuff easier. Problem is that Charisma focus makes Warlock a hard class to multiclass with Monk or Ranger, but a great class to multiclass with Rogue.

Specter
2018-06-04, 09:40 AM
What you need is Cunning Action, Expertise (Stealth) and Pass Without Trace. Rogue/Monk, Ranger or Druid will get you there.

Gydian
2018-06-07, 11:47 AM
Having expertise in stealth is good but I missed cunning action which allows me to hide as a bonus action. Hiding as a bonus action in combat makes the ultra stealth really good.
RAW every time I attack my stealth is blown.

Starting out 2 levels of rouge. Skulker feat and 1 level of monk or 3 levels of rouge and the Skulker feat?

Also which roguish archotype?

Specter
2018-06-07, 01:19 PM
Having expertise in stealth is good but I missed cunning action which allows me to hide as a bonus action. Hiding as a bonus action in combat makes the ultra stealth really good.
RAW every time I attack my stealth is blown.

Starting out 2 levels of rouge. Skulker feat and 1 level of monk or 3 levels of rouge and the Skulker feat?

Also which roguish archotype?

Thief gives you advantage on Stealth if you move less than half your speed, and Arcane Trickster gives you Invisibility and other goodies. Up to you.