PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Monster Class Skills?

GrayDeath
2018-06-03, 03:40 PM
Might be I`m too tired, but I seem to remember somewhere along the "Advancing Mosnters section that there was a part including the Racial Class Skills fitting for the Monster HD, but I cant seem to find it. I can see their Skill/Hitpts per level and stuff just fine, but ....well.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Appreciated!

Venger
2018-06-03, 03:51 PM
Might be I`m too tired, but I seem to remember somewhere along the "Advancing Mosnters section that there was a part including the Racial Class Skills fitting for the Monster HD, but I cant seem to find it. I can see their Skill/Hitpts per level and stuff just fine, but ....well.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Appreciated!

Anything a monster has ranks in in its statblock is a class skill. All else is cc. Yes, this means you need to reverse engineer everything by subtracting out synergy and ability mods and size.

KillianHawkeye
2018-06-03, 03:56 PM
Look in the intro where it tells you how to read the monster's stat blocks.

Skills

This line gives the creature’s skills, along with each skill’s modifier (including adjustments for ability scores, armor check penalties, and any bonuses from feats or racial traits). All listed skills are class skills, unless the creature has a character class (noted in the entry). A creature’s type and Intelligence score determine the number of skill points it has.

So generally speaking, any skill listed in the stat block is considered a class skill for that creature (unless it's by class). You can sometimes see that a creature has a skill listed that it doesn't have any ranks in, simply because it has a racial bonus or a synergy bonus to that skill. I'm not sure I would always consider those to be class skills as well, but they are by RAW just for being listed. I guess that's okay, it's not like a character always puts ranks into all of their class skills or anything.

GrayDeath
2018-06-03, 04:03 PM
Ugh, I`m really blind tonight.

Thank you both, now I know (again). :)

Venger
2018-06-03, 05:40 PM
Look in the intro where it tells you how to read the monster's stat blocks.

So generally speaking, any skill listed in the stat block is considered a class skill for that creature (unless it's by class). You can sometimes see that a creature has a skill listed that it doesn't have any ranks in, simply because it has a racial bonus or a synergy bonus to that skill. I'm not sure I would always consider those to be class skills as well, but they are by RAW just for being listed. I guess that's okay, it's not like a character always puts ranks into all of their class skills or anything.

Strict raw, those skills where there are no ranks are not class skills. they are normally listed for expediency's sake and tend to be stuff like spot and listen or others they foresee the monster using

personally, I will consider climb and swim class skills with monsters of those movement modes, even though they don't always have listed ranks. not strictly raw, but it makes a little more sense than the alternative.

KillianHawkeye
2018-06-04, 06:16 PM
Strict raw, those skills where there are no ranks are not class skills.

No. I quoted the rules up above. All listed skills are class skills.