PDA

View Full Version : To many good options, a warlock conundrum

Brightersidegam
2018-06-03, 03:53 PM
So, I've come to a bit of a conundrum with a character that I am currently playing. He's a warlock, a devil prince who's made a bet with a celestial that he could live a "good, normal, ordinary, human life." Details aside, that's the gist of his background

So recently, we've leveled up to level 4, and I've had the horrible realization that what I do now will ultimately, drastically effect how the character will play out add he levels, crunchy-wise anyway. So here are some starts and basic character info:

Human (non-variant) Level 4 warlock, pact of the tome, fiendish patron
S: 11 D: 12 C: 13 I: 15 W: 13 Ch: 17

So the conundrum that I've run into is that I don't have many bad options, but the good options will define the character as a whole. Here's a few things I'm thinking: bumping cha and dex by one, then at level 6, dip into fighter for 2 levels for action surge, proficiencies in medium armor and shield, a good bit of beef, then maybe continue warlock, or sorcerer for that sweet sweet sorlock mix.

Or, staying with warlock, and not multi-class, I still have three options. Take the ASI in cha and another one of my many odd abilities. Or take either warcaster or resilience (constitution) (a safe option, if just a touch boring). All good options.

I'm at a loss, really. I'd really like to hear other player opinions, maybe someone else has been in this same situation, or just some insight (or even more options I didn't think about). I am, by no means trying to make the best character, just trying to figure out a good, solid step.

Aaron Underhand
2018-06-03, 05:01 PM
Here's my take.

With those physical stats you don't want to be in combat, so fighter and warcaster I'd pass on. You will want resilient Con for all con saves and extra hits, but perhaps wait until your proficiency modifier is higher. Sorlock looks a good option, especially with rituals up to third level, so boosting Cha is the must have at level 4.

Now what else? Con if you feel fragile (though you can expect res later), Wis for perception and saves, int for skills. Somewhat depends on rest of party, but I'd probably pick Wis+1

What's the rest of the party? What are your invocations and tome cantrips?

Brightersidegam
2018-06-03, 05:22 PM
Rest of the party is a knowledge domain cleric, a halfling juggernaut? barbarian (It's in the crit role book), an aarikokra way of the four elements monk, a dragonborn moon druid and a wood elf oath of ancients paladin. But the druid, cleric or paladin may be out as they're players rotate DMing (I might DM at some point). So we aren't really hurting for a front line, I was just looking at fighter for that action surge (gotta love extra actions), and the other bonuses we're just icing.

As for pact of the tome Cantrips, I took control flame, guidance, and mage hand. Done for story and utility. Probably not the best options, but made sense RP wise.

If going straight ASI, I'm thinking intelligent or wisdom, I'm proficient in arcana, religion, insight and deception (and a lot of extra, fun, story knowledge of the "x amount of" hells because of background reasons)

CTurbo
2018-06-03, 05:32 PM
I'd bump Con and Cha at level 4 for sure

Why are your physical stats so bad? lol

I would do SOMETHING to get medium armor and probably shield proficiencies for sure. Fighter 1 would probably be enough, Fighter 2 gets you action surge. Valor Bard 3 would be good for expanding your skills and utility. The Moderately Armored feat is actually pretty decent for Warlocks.

Unoriginal
2018-06-03, 05:38 PM
You could take how the character was as a Devil and see which PC abilities are the closest to it.

xen
2018-06-04, 04:12 PM
I would forget armor and shields. Use all those meat shields to hide behind, lol. Personally i would stick with warlock or multi into sorlock or Lorebardlock with those stats.

You could always expertise your Arcana/Religion with bardlock. Would fit your story.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-06-04, 04:34 PM
Avoid fighter, it's not worth two levels of progression for just an action surge. You could easily go Lore Bard and become a skill monkey, or even go Wizard to increase your spell selection. Heck, get a Haste spell, and it's like a mini-action surge on demand.

At level 4, CHA +1, plus CON/INT/WIS (whatever fits your future plans). Bumping DEX +1 gets you absolutely nothing at this point.