PDA

View Full Version : Centaurs and horseshoes.

Danielqueue1
2018-06-03, 05:05 PM
With the release of centaurs in UA, I was theory-crafting a new character and was wondering what y'all thought.

1 can centaur PCs use magical horseshoes? Horseshoes of speed give +30 walking speed without requiring attunement. Giving any centaur pc a base movement speed of 70. Neat. Horseshoes of a zephyr let you walk across a pool of acid like it's not there, also without attunement.

2 If you do deny centaurs the use of magical horseshoes can they use magical boots?

3 would second story work remove the centaur racial penalty for climbing?

Ganymede
2018-06-03, 05:11 PM
These are all great questions to forward to the WotC team once they put out their UA playtest survey.

Kane0
2018-06-03, 05:16 PM
Indeed, horseshoes instead of boots makes sense to me but would be interesting to see what the Devs say after the UA feedback.

I'd be including attunement though.

Phoenix042
2018-06-03, 05:26 PM
RAW, they'd wear boots and not horseshoes, but it's hard to explain why they can't wear horseshoes in-game.

As for why they CAN wear boots, I mean, lizardfolk and other monsterous races can all wear the same boots, and so can minotaurs and the like even though they're usually depicted as having hooves.

I'd explain to my players like this: magic boots are magic, and they reshape themselves to fit whatever you've got on your lower half.

Now as DM, I'd also rule that centaurs can wear horseshoes (and even magic ones), but I may not make those two examples you game available.

Not sure. I mean, a halfling could ride a war-pony with those horseshoes around in a dungeon just as easily, and I don't see why they would suddenly break things when they no longer require the pony, I guess.

Jerrykhor
2018-06-03, 11:07 PM
With the release of centaurs in UA, I was theory-crafting a new character and was wondering what y'all thought.

1 can centaur PCs use magical horseshoes? Horseshoes of speed give +30 walking speed without requiring attunement. Giving any centaur pc a base movement speed of 70. Neat. Horseshoes of a zephyr let you walk across a pool of acid like it's not there, also without attunement.

2 If you do deny centaurs the use of magical horseshoes can they use magical boots?

3 would second story work remove the centaur racial penalty for climbing?

There's no RAW on this, but i personally wouldn't allow centaurs to wear magic shoes/boots. Magic horseshoes yes.

Rolling a centaur Rogue thief alone is already asking for the silly stuff to happen. Horse legs don't do the crouch walk thing very well, or very silent :smallbiggrin:

Kane0
2018-06-03, 11:32 PM
Could be worse, could have named his character BoJack or something.

TundraBuccaneer
2018-06-04, 11:46 AM
There's no RAW on this, but i personally wouldn't allow centaurs to wear magic shoes/boots. Magic horseshoes yes.

Rolling a centaur Rogue thief alone is already asking for the silly stuff to happen. Horse legs don't do the crouch walk thing very well, or very silent :smallbiggrin:

You want more silly stuff? Because centaurs are medium sized creatures that can be mounted by medium sized creatures, I you want you can make centowers.:smallbiggrin:

Ventruenox
2018-06-04, 08:49 PM
You want more silly stuff? Because centaurs are medium sized creatures that can be mounted by medium sized creatures, I you want you can make centowers.:smallbiggrin:

I would allow that, but using an alternative definition of "mounted." Ask Phil and Dixie to explain it to our younger players.