PDA

View Full Version : Question about Regenerate and other Minute-long Casting Spells

pedestrianx
2018-06-03, 05:36 PM
I have a question about Regenerate. Regenerate is a 7th level transmutation touch spell with a casting time of 1 minute and a duration of 1 hour. The text of the spell is included below:

"You touch a creature and stimulate its natural healing ability. The target regains 4d8 + 15 hit points. For the duration of the spell, the target regains 1 hit point at the start of each of its turns (10 hit points each minute).

The target's severed body members (fingers, legs, tails, and so on), if any, are restored after 2 minutes. If you have the severed part and hold it to the stump, the spell instantaneously causes the limb to knit to the stump."

My question is if this spell was cast in battle strictly to heal a PC, when would the PC being healed gain the 4d8 + 15 hit points?

Also, I assume the caster would need to hold their concentration for 10 rounds and would also need to be touching the PC the entire time. I also assume that in addition to the 4d8 + 15 hit points, the PC also gains 1 HP every 6 seconds for the 1 hour duration.

Lunali
2018-06-03, 06:01 PM
The PC would gain the hp immediately as the spell finishes casting, this is also the only point when the caster actually has to be touching the PC. That said, this is not a combat spell, it is unlikely to be an efficient use of your time during battle.

bid
2018-06-03, 07:07 PM
Also, I assume the caster would need to hold their concentration for 10 rounds and would also need to be touching the PC the entire time. I also assume that in addition to the 4d8 + 15 hit points, the PC also gains 1 HP every 6 seconds for the 1 hour duration.
What kind of battle lasts more than 10 rounds?
Maybe the cleric isn't twiddling his thumbs, but the fight will be over before the heal goes off.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-06-03, 07:27 PM
What kind of battle lasts more than 10 rounds?
Maybe the cleric isn't twiddling his thumbs, but the fight will be over before the heal goes off.

I had one last 24 rounds the other day. Ouch. Would have been longer (or much shorter!) if someone tried to cast throughout it and didn't fight though. So yeah. Don't cast 1 minute spells in combat.