PDA

View Full Version : RAW: Savage Attacher, Orcish Fury, and Critical Hits

Phoenix042
2018-06-03, 07:50 PM
So I've just noticed something, and a few google searches haven't turned up any discussion of it yet, so I thought I'd ask the forum for thoughts.

Considering RAW, I'm under the impression that Savage Attacker stacks with Critical hits as follows:
Crit with Greataxe: roll 2d12 plus other dice (rolled twice) and mods
Savage attacker crit with Greataxe: roll 2d12 twice, use either total, then add other dice (twice) and mods

And Orcish fury interacts with crits like this:

Orcish fury attack with greataxe: roll 2d12, then add other dice and mods
Crit with orcish fury attack with greataxe: roll 4d12, then add other dice (twice) and mods

So my questions: Does orcish fury stack with savage attacker like this:
Orcish fury with Greataxe and savage attacker: roll 2d12 twice, use either total, then add other dice and mods
Orcish fury with Greataxe crit and savage attacker: roll 4d12 twice, use either total, then add other dice and mods

From the text of orcish fury:

When you hit with an attack using a simple or martial weapon, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice an additional time and add it as extra damage of the weapon’s damage type.

From the text on Critical hits:

If the attack involves other damage dice, such as from the rogue’s Sneak Attack feature, you roll those dice twice as well.

From the text of savage attacker feat:

Once per turn when you roll damage for a melee weapon attack, you can reroll the weapon’s damage dice and use either total.

Finally, if the player has orcish fury, he's also a half-orc and has their savage attacks racial feature. The relevant part:

... roll one of the weapon's damage dice one additional time

So in conclusion; a half orc with the orcish fury and savage attacker feat who scores a crit with a greataxe and decides to expend his use of orcish fury will: roll 5d12 twice, use either total, and then add any other dice (twice) and mods.

Is this all correct?

Finally, I can't decide if the way that brutal critical is phrased makes it act differently than savage attacks in any of these cases, and whether any of this makes the savage attacker feat less worthless.

PhoenixPhyre
2018-06-03, 08:00 PM
Greataxe (normal): 2d6
Crit (normal): 4d6

Orcish fury crit: 4d6 + 1d6 (roll one of the dice again)
Orcish fury + savage attacker crit: (4d6)x2, choose one set + 1d6 (OF is not one of the weapon dice, it just uses the same size)

Orcish fury + savage attacker + savage attack (? the half-orc thing) crit: (4d6 )x2 choose one set 1d6 [OF] + 1d6 [half-orc].

So 4d6 at advantage + 2d6. Once per short rest. On a crit.

Only dice from the weapon itself (2d6 + special properties like flaming) are rerolled by savage attacker, since those are the only "weapon dice". If your DM plays Great Weapon fighting style as being able to reroll 1s/2s on all dice, then he may let you reroll all here. But that's kind of obnoxious, unless you're a player with quite a few d6 (12d6 at the high end).

At least this is how I see it.

Oops--I did greatsword.

Greataxe would be

Normal: 1d12
Crit: 2d12
OF normal: 2d12
OF crit: 3d12
SAttacker: 2d12x2, choose one set
SAttacker + OF crit: 2d12x2, choose one set + 1d12
SAttacker + OF + Savage Attacks: 2d12x2 (choose one set) + 2d12

So 4d12 total, with advantage on half the dice.

Angelalex242
2018-06-03, 08:09 PM
Greataxe (normal): 2d6
Crit (normal): 4d6

Orcish fury crit: 4d6 + 1d6 (roll one of the dice again)
Orcish fury + savage attacker crit: (4d6)x2, choose one set + 1d6 (OF is not one of the weapon dice, it just uses the same size)

Orcish fury + savage attacker + savage attack (? the half-orc thing) crit: (4d6 )x2 choose one set 1d6 [OF] + 1d6 [half-orc].

So 4d6 at advantage + 2d6. Once per short rest. On a crit.

Only dice from the weapon itself (2d6 + special properties like flaming) are rerolled by savage attacker, since those are the only "weapon dice". If your DM plays Great Weapon fighting style as being able to reroll 1s/2s on all dice, then he may let you reroll all here. But that's kind of obnoxious, unless you're a player with quite a few d6 (12d6 at the high end).

At least this is how I see it.

Oops--I did greatsword.

Greataxe would be

Normal: 1d12
Crit: 2d12
OF normal: 2d12
OF crit: 3d12
SAttacker: 2d12x2, choose one set
SAttacker + OF crit: 2d12x2, choose one set + 1d12
SAttacker + OF + Savage Attacks: 2d12x2 (choose one set) + 2d12

So 4d12 total, with advantage on half the dice.

And that's why Orc Barbarians use Greataxes.

Phoenix042
2018-06-03, 08:37 PM
Only dice from the weapon itself (2d6 + special properties like flaming) are rerolled by savage attacker, since those are the only "weapon dice".

I'm not sure that's true. That seems like a reasonable interpretation on the surface, but look again at the text for each feature (emphasis mine):

From Orcish Fury:

...you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice an additional time and add it as extra damage of the weapon’s damage type.

From Savage Attacks:

... roll one of the weapon's damage dice one additional time

And from Savage Attacker:

...you can reroll the weapon’s damage dice...

I think those are discussing the same thing; the weapon's damage dice (which, if you're correct, means that Savage Attacks or Orcish Fury could potentially add fire damage to a flaming weapon).

And finally, on critical hits:

If the attack involves other damage dice... you roll those dice twice as well.

So I think several things based on these statements:
1) The die from orcish fury is a weapon damage die. (+1 wd die)
2) The die from savage attacks is a weapon damage die. (+1 wd die)
3) A critical hit rolls your orcish fury die again, and it's still a weapon damage die (+1 wd die)
4) You end up rolling 5d12 and rerolling all of them, taking either total.

Which brings me back to; does this give Savage Attacker more value?

PhoenixPhyre
2018-06-03, 08:42 PM
I misread Savage attacker (being AFB). You're right about that.

So 5d12, at advantage.