PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Running combat without an initiative order?

Oramac
2018-06-03, 08:32 PM
This is really in reference to one specific monster, though I suppose it could apply to anything that could hide easily.

I'm looking at the Alkilith, from MToF (p130). It's basically a fungus or slimy growth while immobile. So if the PC's walk within range of its tentacle attacks, could it theoretically lash out with a tentacle to hit a PC without that PC (or the rest of the party) noticing where the tentacle came from?

If so, how would you run this "combat" using the tentacle attacks without actually rolling initiative for the party?

Or am I just thinking way too hard and making this more complicated than it needs to be?

PhoenixPhyre
2018-06-03, 08:40 PM
It's revealed as soon as it attacks. Run as normal, but the party is most likely surprised.

Initiative
Party couldn't see threat -> surprised
Tentacle attack
Normal combat from there

kraitmarais
2018-06-03, 09:07 PM
^^ Yep, it's almost certain to get a free attack on the party due to surprise, but there would have to be exceptional circumstances for the party to be unaware of where the attack originated.

guachi
2018-06-04, 07:30 AM
By rule, there is no combat without initiative.

So the first reply has it correct.

Oramac
2018-06-04, 07:06 PM
Dammit. I expected these replies, but was hoping for some workaround.

Oh well. Thanks everyone!

Demonslayer666
2018-06-05, 01:04 PM
Dammit. I expected these replies, but was hoping for some workaround.

Oh well. Thanks everyone!

You're the DM and you can run it however you want. If you decide it's near impossible to notice where the attack came from (fog), you could treat it more like a rearming trap unless they make a high Perception check.

Or you could have multiple attackers that stay hidden and join in later.