PDA

View Full Version : Decaf Coffelock?

Aurosman
2018-06-03, 09:05 PM
Since I'm building a warlock and dipping into sorcerer I ended up finding out about the Coffelock. While looking at builds and finding them a little cheesy I was wondering if a decaf version would work. Basically you just don't use the whole long rest trick. From what I was reading and understanding, a long rest states that you regain all spent spells, it doesnt say anything about losing any bonus spells you have. So woul dthe build work just the same, just before you take a long rest you convert any extra spell points and spells to make yourself have more than you regain to keep them? Or does this not work by RAW? Also would you allow this to work in your game if you didn't allow the original coffelock cheese?

gloryblaze
2018-06-03, 09:09 PM
The sorcerer's flexible casting feature states that created spell slots disappear at the end of a long rest.

Aurosman
2018-06-03, 09:16 PM
The sorcerer's flexible casting feature states that created spell slots disappear at the end of a long rest.

I am reading the PHB and no were in flexible casting does it state that.

gloryblaze
2018-06-03, 09:25 PM
I am reading the PHB and no were in flexible casting does it state that.

Check to see if your PHB has all the errata. It's there, on page 101

Aurosman
2018-06-03, 09:31 PM
Check to see if your PHB has all the errata. It's there, on page 101

Ah, that must be why. Thanks!

Vogie
2018-06-04, 11:16 AM
The basic idea of the coffeelock isn't an inherently bad one - Any Pact magic spell slots unused prior to a short rest can be "saved" by conversion to sorcery points then reconverted back to spell slots after the short rest is over, and the pact magic slots are refreshed.

If a player uses that, just that, without the "I don't long rest" cheese, then it isn't broken. It's strong, but inversely so to the type of encounters thrown at them. If they're fighting tooth and nail as soon as the long rest ends, and there aren't any slots left to convert, then it's just a sorlock.