PDA

View Full Version : Transparent mangosteen segments; good or bad?

Togath
2018-06-03, 11:08 PM
So I managed to find a few pounds of mangosteens at the corner store, bought them, opened two and... both are translucent, rather than the white I've seen in photos. Is this normal?
I mean, the translucent parts taste okay to my "has never tasted a mangosteen" tongue... but I also lack knowledge of how they are supposed to be.

Elanasaurus
2018-06-04, 02:33 AM
In my experience, it's normal for some of the mangosteen's flesh to be translucent (especially the center I think) but not all of it.
:elan:

Togath
2018-06-04, 05:34 AM
Opened three of the (about 2.5lb?) bunch I got now... one was white with a little translucent-ness near the seed, one had a translucent segment(only one), and one was mostly translucent. 2/3 being good from a random sample seems like a good sign.:smallbiggrin:
Also they taste amazing! Definitely worth the price.

Elanasaurus
2018-06-04, 10:41 AM
That's great! Glad you liked them! Now try durian next. I'm kidding.

sktarq
2018-06-05, 04:03 PM

You evil evil man.....

I mean I get playing a joke on Togath....but why assault her poor neighbors?

(And yes I have tried the spinney rot onion custard skunk fruit you mention)

Elanasaurus
2018-06-05, 08:52 PM
I mean I get playing a joke on Togath....but why assault her poor neighbors?Gives them a new and interesting experience. Also, I've heard that at a distance, it smells just like a gas leak, which isn't unpleasant at all.
(And yes I have tried the spinney rot onion custard skunk fruit you mention)Good for you.

Amazon
2018-06-05, 09:01 PM
Gives them a new and interesting experience. Also, I've heard that at a distance, it smells just like a gas leak, which isn't unpleasant at all.Good for you.

Why you use Elan's face on all your posts? :smallconfused:

Brother Oni
2018-06-06, 11:12 AM
Gives them a new and interesting experience. Also, I've heard that at a distance, it smells just like a gas leak, which isn't unpleasant at all.

I don't mind durian, but when I brought some durian wafers into work, people were asking whether there was a gas leak and I got told never to bring them in again. :smallbiggrin:

tomandtish
2018-06-06, 05:44 PM

You evil evil man.....

I mean I get playing a joke on Togath....but why assault her poor neighbors?

(And yes I have tried the spinney rot onion custard skunk fruit you mention)

I actually love the taste of ripe durian. It's nowhere near as bad as it smells.... And I know that's not a ringing endorsement, since Man, does it smell. Or as my mother said "Did you get a pet skunk?"

Anthony Bourdain, an admitted fan of the fruit, described it in less-than-inspiring terms when he ate it on the Indonesia episode of No Reservations: “Its taste can only be described as… indescribable, something you will either love or despise… Your breath will smell as if you'd been French-kissing your dead grandmother.”

Elanasaurus
2018-06-06, 08:17 PM
Why you use Elan's face on all your posts? :smallconfused:Because I think it's funny, it's just a way to "sign off", it's related to my name, and it's a reminder to not take my post seriously.

Goaty14
2018-06-08, 03:43 PM
Why you use Elan's face on all your posts? :smallconfused:

Why not use elan's face all over your posts? :elan:

Togath
2018-06-08, 04:01 PM
Honestly, I kind of like the scent of fresh durian. Only issue was it turns out I bought a frozen one and left it in a hot room for a few days, so it ended up going bad and smelling a bit off when I opened it.

AliceLost
2018-06-08, 06:49 PM
Honestly, I kind of like the scent of fresh durian. Only issue was it turns out I bought a frozen one and left it in a hot room for a few days, so it ended up going bad and smelling a bit off when I opened it.

You left a Durian in a hot room for a few days and you describe the smell as "a bit off"?!?!?

Knaight
2018-06-09, 05:29 AM
Gives them a new and interesting experience. Also, I've heard that at a distance, it smells just like a gas leak, which isn't unpleasant at all.Good for you.

Lies. I've smelled both, and the Durian is far worse, though at least less worrying.

Elanasaurus
2018-06-09, 06:34 AM
Why not use elan's face all over your posts? :elan: Exactly!

Serpentine
2018-06-11, 06:03 AM
Translucent mangosteen is probably fine.
It's yellow mangosteen that you have to watch out for.
Sometimes, for some reason, a bit of yellow sap will get inside the fruit, and it's damn near the bitterest thing you'll ever taste. If you find one that just has the yellow on a little bit, though, the rest should be fine. Just avoid the yellow bit at all cost - quite sure it's not dangerous at all, but it really is disgusting.