PDA

View Full Version : Making a cowboy in D&D. Update.

Dreaconis
2018-06-04, 03:04 AM
Considering how much of a response I got from the first one, I figured I would post an updated version of my idea and see if there are any tweaks all of you would recommend, as well as a little story building. Feel free to chip in mechanically or for the backstory creation.

So, I'll start this off at lvl 3 because my gm generally likes starting there to eliminate the "tutorial levels". The full spread would be:
2 fighter, 6 (gunsmith) artificer, 12 hexlock(blade pact). Variant human- +1 cha, int; crossbow feat. Also, many stated that I could just reflavor a crossbow as a revolver. I liked those ideas and wrestled with it. But, in the end the fact that the artificer thunder cannon is what I want and does 2d6 base, then at lvl 5 doing a total of 4d6, I couldn't pass it up. Anyways, at level 3: 2 artificer, 1 fighter.

I spread it like that so that I could get close quarters shooter and because I really want my character to have the jug of alchemy (my DM is allowing me to get it at lvl 2 if I choose from the first list at lvl 5). The reason for that is because I love the idea of him having a never ending jug of Lunar Glow (moonshine) since the first time our party meets. After that, I get fighter lvl 2 on next level to get action surge.

I plan to bring the warlock aspect in early, probably 5 or 6. But, I'm wanting there to be a reason that they wanted more magic, which they call "hokus pokus". My idea is that once he gains the secondary ability on the thunder cannon, it gets possessed by the spirit of a hexblade weapon that was trapped in a piece of scrap metal he used to upgrade the thunder cannon. He was upgrading it because he feels that he's not strong enough to protect the people he cares about and then the hexblade beguiled him with it's promises of power. Then this drunken, broken cowboy sells his soul to the devil. At which point I get the invocs arcane gunslinger and thirsting blade. That way, I can effectively do two attacks per round, 4 when I use action surge.

From there I alternate artificer and lock. The reason I want to get the artificer level up is because i want him to have the mechanical servant. I was thinking that I would make it a dog. It becomes a bodyguard for me and will most of the time be possessed by the shadow hound hexblade gives me so that it looks like blackened, glowing metal with flames flickering inside it, giving the impression of a mechanized forge.
My favorite part however is when I get the curse bringer invoc. My DM is allowing me to upgrade my weapon into "Curse of Mortality". Which is the thundercannon, although now considered a hexcannon, but in the style and utilizing the benefits of the invocation. So, at its peak, this weapon will be doing (4d6 base+1d6 from hex+hexblade curse+2d8 depending on spell slot)×4 for thirsting blade and action surge. It can do roughly 150 dmg average by level 12.

If there are any ideas story or mechanical that you guys would like to give, please do so. I have time before i use this character.