PDA

View Full Version : Building the Perfect Warlock Archer

TrajanJeebus
2018-06-04, 03:35 AM
Hey all, so I recently joined a friend's campaign (I usually DM myself, so it's a nice change) and decided to be a Warlock that actually specializes entirely in the longbow. I know it isn't the best use but it's very fun and I would love to combo out on it. I rolled beyond exceptionally well on my stats, to the point that I almost wanted to nerf myself but the DM said I deserve it for DMing for years myself lol. I chose Hexblade Warlock and I am positively multiclassing into either Bard or Fighter (or both)

Attempting to discover what the best possible combination would be for this sort of PC.

Stats: Half Elf, 13 Str 15 Dex 18 Con 14 Int 16 Wis 20 Cha (4d6k3 method, I got insanely lucky)

Combos: I know I can Darkness with Devil's Sight using my range to always trigger Elven Accuracy, which should come online very early. Combo with my Hexblade features my turn combo would look like this: Darkness + Hexblade's Curse turn 1, Turn 2 Hex as bonus then shoot for a tri-vantage 19-20 crit triggering +8 to hit and magical d8+8 two times (and an extra d6 necro damage) that makes me regain 10 hp per kill at level 4 every short rest. That's not a terrible combo. However, I know it could get better (perhaps). Currently the first 5 levels of the build go into Hexblade to get Thirsting Blade, Elven Accuracy, level 2 spell slots, and Devil's Sight as fast as possible. After that though, I am unsure what would work best.

Possibilities: I was looking at maybe going College of Swords for 6 levels giving me flourish (extra d8 damage expending my bardic inspiration that allows me to buff AC, push and move to, or deal d8 to everyone within 5 ft of me) and extra attack (combo with Thirsting Blade). So I would have 3 shots of magical, tri-vantage, crit triggering at a 19-20, +9 to hit d8+9 (+d6 necro, +2d8 from Bardic Inspiration) AND the Sharpshooter feat which snags me another +10 damage. However, this is level 11.

Option 2 would be to go into Fighter for 5 levels, giving me the much more useful Archery fighting style, Action Surge + Extra Attack + Thirsting Blade, letting me do the same shenanigans with my damage but gain benefits of fighter, however I lose being a full spellcaster that is SAD.

Can someone help me out? His name is Legolamb (*ba dum tiss*) and he is the fattest elf you'll ever see that is somehow extremely dexterous.

Edit: I will also say after level 11, I have no idea where to go :D. Sticking with bard I could pick up Swift Quiver off Magical Secrets, but this is SUPER late to do so I'd much rather not. I think I'd like to go 14 Hexblade Warlock 6 Swords Bard, not sure though! I could dip 2 into Fighter but I would lose Hex Master!

Edit edit: SHOOT, I forgot that Thristing Blade doesn't stack with extra attack! Now what D: I could drop 2 levels of Swords bard and add 2 levels of Fighter to get Action Surge, Thirsting Blade, Flourish AND Hex Master all together though. Maybe T_T

Edit edit edit: So I forgot about the Thirsting Blade thing and my 3rd Invocation, being Eldritch Smite. Eldritch smite is an additional 2d8 damage to my max power shots, and it doubles from crit.

CTurbo
2018-06-04, 04:29 AM
Hexblade 10/Ranger 10

ESPECIALLY if you can use the UA revised Ranger.

Hunter gets you Horde Breaker and Escape from the Horde
Gloom Stalker gets you extra darkvision, extra movement and extra attack(with extra damage) on your first turn, and an extra save proficiency

The base Ranger class gets you Archery, Hunter's Mark, Hail of Thorns, Lightning Arrow, Flame Arrow, Favored enemy, advantage on Initiative if revised, and Hide In Plain Sight.

I'd get the Archery fighting style no matter what. Fighter 2 is always good.

Going Bard 10 for Swift Quiver and Conjure Volley is good too, but comes on really late.

I think with your really high stats, Ranger is the best way to go.

Quoxis
2018-06-04, 04:40 AM
Gloom Stalker gets you extra darkvision, extra movement and extra attack(with extra damage) on your first turn, and an extra save proficiency

AND invisibility in darkness no matter what - not even devils and other types of magic darkvision can spot you while inside your darkness cloud.

Also note that eldritch smite works with ranged weapon attacks (unlike divine smite), so you could use that too - especially with triple advantage and Hexblade’s curse widened crit range, because smites stack with crits. You‘ll explode your bbeg.

TrajanJeebus
2018-06-04, 05:42 AM
Hexblade 10/Ranger 10

ESPECIALLY if you can use the UA revised Ranger.

The base Ranger class gets you Archery, Hunter's Mark, Hail of Thorns, Lightning Arrow, Flame Arrow, Favored enemy, advantage on Initiative if revised, and Hide In Plain Sight.

I'd get the Archery fighting style no matter what. Fighter 2 is always good.

Going Bard 10 for Swift Quiver and Conjure Volley is good too, but comes on really late.

I think with your really high stats, Ranger is the best way to go.

Hmmm I SORT of wanted to avoid ranger (only because I thought it'd be comical to out ranger a ranger) but I actually don't REALLY mind. Would the Ranger 10 Warlock 10 outdamage a Hexblade/Swords Bard/Fighter combo? I could certainly see it. I considered Bard 10, but it comes up too late for me to feel satisfied for it

Edit: Also, would you go Warlock 4 Ranger 10 orrrr? I would like to start Warlock just because I'm eager to use the Hexblade (I haven't played as a player since before Volo's!) Also, would it be better to perhaps go Hexblade Warlock 10 Hunter Ranger 5 Swords Bard 5? I'm just looking around. That gains access to d8 bardic inspiration converted to damage and all the benefits of flourish from Swords, everything you get from Warlock, and Extra Attack, Archery, Horde Breaker, Favored Enemy. The only feats I feel like I NEED would be Elven Accuracy, Sharpshooter, and possibly Lucky

AND invisibility in darkness no matter what - not even devils and other types of magic darkvision can spot you while inside your darkness cloud.

Also note that eldritch smite works with ranged weapon attacks (unlike divine smite), so you could use that too - especially with triple advantage and Hexblade’s curse widened crit range, because smites stack with crits. You‘ll explode your bbeg.

My lord I forgot about Eldritch Smite. Yeah, this will be very fun

Mr A25
2018-06-04, 05:53 AM
Just so you know, the Extra attack feature and the attack gained from Thirsting Blade don’t stack.

Obviously only for high levels but some kind of mix of Hexblade, Fighter 11 and Ranger 3 (Gloomstalker) would make a pretty ridiculous archer.

TrajanJeebus
2018-06-04, 05:57 AM
Just so you know, the Extra attack feature and the attack gained from Thirsting Blade don’t stack.

Obviously only for high levels but some kind of mix of Hexblade, Fighter 11 and Ranger 3 (Gloomstalker) would make a pretty ridiculous archer.

Yea I derped, forgot Thirsting Blade was included in the Extra Attack rule. I caught myself earlier though in an edit! :p

nickl_2000
2018-06-04, 06:51 AM
Can't say it's perfect, but 6 hexblade/4 fighter scout (or battlemaster if UA isn't allowed)/10 Rogue Scout is a solid build.

Your to hit chances are through to roof, you get multiple attacks, and the damage riders are crazy, your mobility is pretty cazy, and you have all the options for what to do on your turn (plus you are useful outside of combat due to your amount of skills.).

Vogie
2018-06-04, 08:35 AM
The problem with what you've gotten so far is that you'll burn through those Spell slots really, really fast. Using Darkness AND Hex in your "normal" rotation will mean you're accidentally trying to optimize for something like 1 encounter per short rest... which isn't useful in most games.

The best thing you can do is try to increase your value and flexibility that matches with your core concept, whatever that is.

Some options:

Eldritch Knight - this gives Archery Fighting style, normal fighter stuff, but also, with 7 levels in EKF you gain

a Freed up an invocation as they get extra attack for free
A new fighting style with Warmagic - Cantrip attack, then Weapon attack as a bonus action, which can get absurd while Crit Fishing with both Eldritch Blast and attacks. At combined level 11, you can hit a target with 3 rays of EB, then an attack with your bow... every single turn.
A defensive boon with Weapon Bond, allowing you to summon a shield as a bonus action, allowing you to have a Bonus action +2 to AC.
More 1st and 2nd level spell slots (for darkness & hex)

Arcane Archer Fighter - this gives Archery Fighting style, normal fighter stuff, but also, with 7 levels in AA you gain

The ability to reroll misses to another target within 60 feet, giving effectively a 4th source of advantage
The Shadow Arrow ability, that can act as a single-target, short-term version of the Darkness/Darkvision combo that also refreshes on short rest
2 other Arcane shot options that can focus on either damage or utility (Banishment at 600ft!)

Ranger- this gives Archery Fighting style, ranger spells, but also, with only 3 levels of Ranger you get

Gloom/Deep Stalker - Increases your Darkvision range & Negates enemy darkvision, and gives an additional attack action on the first turn for more nova
Hunter- augmented damage via Colossus Slayer or Horde Breaker
Horizon Walker - increased damage towards targets within 30 ft
Primeval Guardian - increased piercing damage, ability to shift into a form that gives THP each turn
The option to Free up an invocation as they get extra attack at 5 for free

Wizard - gives ritual casting, and more 1st and 2nd level spell slots available (for darkness & hex) with a 3 level dip on an almost-short rest basis with Arcane recovery, and you also get:

War Wizard - initiative bonus, ability to get +2 to AC or +4 to saving throws as a reaction. That locks you out of casting anything other than Cantrips on use, but that doesn't matter if you're normally shooting things
Divination Wizard - gives you potential Super-advantage with a pair of Foretelling Rolls

Kensai monk - just a 3 level dip gives you

Ability to deflect incoming missiles, reducing damage from ranged attack
increased speed
ability to spend a bonus action to give all attacks an additional 1d4 damage

Sorcerer - Normal sorcerer stuff like "saving" spell slots by conversion to Sorc Points, some metamagic, more 1st and 2nd level spell slots available (for darkness & hex) with a 3 level dip, and also

Shadow - ability to cast darkness with sorcery points
Divine Favor - the faux-lucky "Favored by the Gods" bonus and Cure Wounds
Stone - Increased HP, and ability to have AC equal to 13+Con (so 17 for you) while not wearing Armor.

Whispers Bard - normal bard things, and with a 3 level dip you can use your Bardic Inspiration to effectively Smite with psychic damage

Arcane Trickster Rogue - Rogue things, Sneak Attack, more spells slots. You'd need 7 levels in Rogue to use the slots to cast darkness, but that'd give uncanny Dodge & evasion as well as a sneak attack of 4d6.

Inquisitive Rogue - Rogue things, Sneak Attack, and the Ability to turn your wisdom into Sneak Attack bonuses with only a 3 level dip

Quoxis
2018-06-04, 08:45 AM
Problem with arcane archer and eldritch knight is that they require int for their saving throws, so... that probably won’t fly. Arcane archers also only get two uses of their magic arrow per short rest, and as they stack with smite you’ve now burnt through your features in round 2 instead of 1.

Vogie
2018-06-04, 09:07 AM
Problem with arcane archer and eldritch knight is that they require int for their saving throws, so... that probably won’t fly. Arcane archers also only get two uses of their magic arrow per short rest, and as they stack with smite you’ve now burnt through your features in round 2 instead of 1.

Only if you use the arcane shots as a smite rather than their actual utility. If you're facing a single target, you can burn through both shots using shadow arrow really quickly... without having to use any spell slots until the third turn, or just a single one if you're applying hex... Which was the point.

I'm not worried about the stats as such - If those are their starting stats, they're a couple of ASIs away from being awesome at everything.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-06-04, 11:22 AM
Hex and Darkness are both concentration, so they don't stack; Hexblade's Curse is a different thing, of course, but, spell-wise, you can't have both the Hex and Darkness spells going at the same time. My take is you're going to want sufficient spell slots so that you always have Darkness available, so going Bard and College of Whispers makes the most sense; you get Psychic Blades early, which adds to your burst damage, plus you have all the Bard spell slots for Darkness. Your Warlock slots get used for Eldritch Smite and recharge on short rests along with your Curse.

So, not sure how to stack it level-wise, but Hexblade/College of Whispers as a base, and then Scout or Assassin for just more general damage. Two levels of Fighter for fighting style/Action Surge gives even more boom.

TrajanJeebus
2018-06-04, 04:15 PM
Hex and Darkness are both concentration, so they don't stack; Hexblade's Curse is a different thing, of course, but, spell-wise, you can't have both the Hex and Darkness spells going at the same time. My take is you're going to want sufficient spell slots so that you always have Darkness available, so going Bard and College of Whispers makes the most sense; you get Psychic Blades early, which adds to your burst damage, plus you have all the Bard spell slots for Darkness. Your Warlock slots get used for Eldritch Smite and recharge on short rests along with your Curse.

So, not sure how to stack it level-wise, but Hexblade/College of Whispers as a base, and then Scout or Assassin for just more general damage. Two levels of Fighter for fighting style/Action Surge gives even more boom.

Oh yea! Forgot Darkness is concentration. However, losing the d6 from Concentration isn't a big deal to me. Whispers is actually a good idea, I was looking for a way to conserve more Warlock spell slots

TrajanJeebus
2018-06-04, 04:30 PM
The problem with what you've gotten so far is that you'll burn through those Spell slots really, really fast. Using Darkness AND Hex in your "normal" rotation will mean you're accidentally trying to optimize for something like 1 encounter per short rest... which isn't useful in most games.

The best thing you can do is try to increase your value and flexibility that matches with your core concept, whatever that is.

Some options:

Eldritch Knight - this gives Archery Fighting style, normal fighter stuff, but also, with 7 levels in EKF you gain

A new fighting style with Warmagic - Cantrip attack, then Weapon attack as a bonus action, which can get absurd while Crit Fishing with both Eldritch Blast and attacks. At combined level 11, you can hit a target with 3 rays of EB, then an attack with your bow... every single turn.
A defensive boon with Weapon Bond, allowing you to summon a shield as a bonus action, allowing you to have a Bonus action +2 to AC.
More 1st and 2nd level spell slots (for darkness & hex)

Arcane Archer Fighter - this gives Archery Fighting style, normal fighter stuff, but also, with 7 levels in AA you gain

The ability to reroll misses to another target within 60 feet, giving effectively a 4th source of advantage
The Shadow Arrow ability, that can act as a single-target, short-term version of the Darkness/Darkvision combo that also refreshes on short rest
2 other Arcane shot options that can focus on either damage or utility (Banishment at 600ft!)

Ranger- this gives Archery Fighting style, ranger spells, but also, with only 3 levels of Ranger you get

Gloom/Deep Stalker - Increases your Darkvision range & Negates enemy darkvision, and gives an additional attack action on the first turn for more nova
Hunter- augmented damage via Colossus Slayer or Horde Breaker
Horizon Walker - increased damage towards targets within 30 ft
Primeval Guardian - increased piercing damage, ability to shift into a form that gives THP each turn
The option to Free up an invocation as they get extra attack at 5 for free

Wizard - gives ritual casting, and more 1st and 2nd level spell slots available (for darkness & hex) with a 3 level dip on an almost-short rest basis with Arcane recovery, and you also get:

War Wizard - initiative bonus, ability to get +2 to AC or +4 to saving throws as a reaction. That locks you out of casting anything other than Cantrips on use, but that doesn't matter if you're normally shooting things
Divination Wizard - gives you potential Super-advantage with a pair of Foretelling Rolls

Kensai monk - just a 3 level dip gives you

Ability to deflect incoming missiles, reducing damage from ranged attack
increased speed
ability to spend a bonus action to give all attacks an additional 1d4 damage

Sorcerer - Normal sorcerer stuff like "saving" spell slots by conversion to Sorc Points, some metamagic, more 1st and 2nd level spell slots available (for darkness & hex) with a 3 level dip, and also

Shadow - ability to cast darkness with sorcery points
Divine Favor - the faux-lucky "Favored by the Gods" bonus and Cure Wounds
Stone - Increased HP, and ability to have AC equal to 13+Con (so 17 for you) while not wearing Armor.

Whispers Bard - normal bard things, and with a 3 level dip you can use your Bardic Inspiration to effectively Smite with psychic damage

Arcane Trickster Rogue - Rogue things, Sneak Attack, more spells slots. You'd need 7 levels in Rogue to use the slots to cast darkness, but that'd give uncanny Dodge & evasion as well as a sneak attack of 4d6.

Inquisitive Rogue - Rogue things, Sneak Attack, and the Ability to turn your wisdom into Sneak Attack bonuses with only a 3 level dip

Realizing I can't use Hex and Darkness in rotation. So saving the extra 2d6 to give me Darkness, I would likely not cast it using a Warlock spell slot. The build should require a decent amount of short rests, but it only does its explosive burst in important battles. I was considering Rogue as well. It could be feasible for me to do a big mesh of classes considering I can afford to be pretty MAD with how well I rolled.

So perhaps a Hexblade Warlock 11, Whispers Bard 6, Gloom (or Hunter) Ranger 3? This grants an extra Warlock spell slot, Mystic Arcanum, Font of Inspiration to combo with Psychic Blades, Words of Terror, Mantle of Whispers, Dread Ambusher, Umbral Sight, and the Archery fighting style. Other option would be to not go Ranger and take one of the Fighters for 3 levels to gain Action Surge and the Archery fighting style, along with the goodies they grant. My feats here would be Elven Accuracy, Sharpshooter, and Lucky

Other option being Hexblade Warlock 10 , Arcane Archer Fighter 7, Assassin Rogue 3. Assassin Rogue would grant me Assassinate, helping me save Darkness if I rolled well enough on initiative by granted me advantage anyway, plus the crit burst is beautiful during a surprise. With this build my feats would probably be Elven Accuracy, Sharpshooter, Alert. I miss out on extra feats sure. Doing it this way allows me to drop Thirsting Blades when I get Extra Attack and take another invocation in its place. I would go Warlock 5 > Fighter 5 > Warlock 1 > Rogue 1 > Fighter 2 > Rogue 2 > Warlock 4

Mortis_Elrod
2018-06-04, 05:07 PM
If I were you I would do

Hexblade 12/Whispers Bard 5/ Arcane Archer 3.

This makes you a short rest nuke.

Hexblade 12 means you have some excess invocations and 5th level spell slots. Those are nukem slots. And they are great.

Arcane Archer 3, the saves won’t be amazing but they won’t be useless. Still damage is damage, and action surge and fighting style (also second wind ) is welcomed.

Whispers Bard: many good things happen with Bard but Whispers Bard will not only add damage, flavor, utility and all kinds of barely goodness, the most important thing to note here is that Bards get Catnap on their spell list.

What does Catnap do? Oh it’s just a spell that gives you all the benifets of a short rest in a 10 minute power nap. Be extra cheesy and use a warlock spell slot to cast it for free. This gives all of your Nuke Power a rephresh.

Sometimes 10 minutes is all you got, sometimes you don’t get any time, and other times you might squeeze in a short rest. This is an obstacle for everyone especially warlocks and other short rest orientated characters. Making any ten minute respite = a short rest is a huge boon.

TrajanJeebus
2018-06-04, 05:17 PM
If I were you I would do

Hexblade 12/Whispers Bard 5/ Arcane Archer 3.

This makes you a short rest nuke.

Hexblade 12 means you have some excess invocations and 5th level spell slots. Those are nukem slots. And they are great.

Arcane Archer 3, the saves won’t be amazing but they won’t be useless. Still damage is damage, and action surge and fighting style (also second wind ) is welcomed.

Whispers Bard: many good things happen with Bard but Whispers Bard will not only add damage, flavor, utility and all kinds of barely goodness, the most important thing to note here is that Bards get Catnap on their spell list.

What does Catnap do? Oh it’s just a spell that gives you all the benifets of a short rest in a 10 minute power nap. Be extra cheesy and use a warlock spell slot to cast it for free. This gives all of your Nuke Power a rephresh.

Sometimes 10 minutes is all you got, sometimes you don’t get any time, and other times you might squeeze in a short rest. This is an obstacle for everyone especially warlocks and other short rest orientated characters. Making any ten minute respite = a short rest is a huge boon.

Ooooooooooo I actually VERY much like this combo. It avoids Ranger, has some extreme cheese, and gets extra bonuses. How would you level this? Warlock 5 > Bard 2 (grab catnap) > Fighter 3 > Bard 3 > Warlock X?

Edit: Actually that might not be the best because I don't get Sharpshooter for a while that way.

makadus
2018-06-04, 06:04 PM
Ooooooooooo I actually VERY much like this combo. It avoids Ranger, has some extreme cheese, and gets extra bonuses. How would you level this? Warlock 5 > Bard 2 (grab catnap) > Fighter 3 > Bard 3 > Warlock X?

Edit: Actually that might not be the best because I don't get Sharpshooter for a while that way.

What level cap are you looking at for the build progression?

Technically if you are going to 20 you could use the bard/lock/rng build to get above a plus 14 to each hit (before magic item help), always have advantage on attacks (without darkness), 3 attacks per turn, get the psychic blades damage, hexblade curse damage, weapon damage, plus specter damage, and then add in any extra magic item damage on a bow. While maintaining a concentration spell other than darkness so you could hex if you wanted. Not to mention a nice spell list and slot build. Around 160 avg plus damage per turn.

Though, that is pretty mid to late game stuff. I have a nice build along these lines in Hero Lab I can share just tell me what level you are shooting for.

TrajanJeebus
2018-06-04, 06:20 PM
What level cap are you looking at for the build progression?

Technically if you are going to 20 you could use the bard/lock/rng build to get above a plus 14 to each hit (before magic item help), always have advantage on attacks (without darkness), 3 attacks per turn, get the psychic blades damage, hexblade curse damage, weapon damage, plus specter damage, and then add in any extra magic item damage on a bow. While maintaining a concentration spell other than darkness so you could hex if you wanted. Not to mention a nice spell list and slot build. Around 160 avg plus damage per turn.

Though, that is pretty mid to late game stuff. I have a nice build along these lines in Hero Lab I can share just tell me what level you are shooting for.

We always go to 20 actually ^^ We play a long time and leveling is milestone so some levels are a bit faster. I'm assuming my player wants to take us 1-20 like I always do

Mortis_Elrod
2018-06-04, 07:13 PM

Catnap is a level 3 spell, so it be a bit before you could nab it, I also should note that you get 4 asis and 2 of them are for Elven accuracy and sharpshooter, so pick up some feats.

For progression If you want heavy armor
I’d go Fighter 1 > Hexblade 5 > Bard 5 > Fighter 3 > Hexblade 12

If you don’t for whatever reason then take Fighter 1 after Hexblade 5 .

TrajanJeebus
2018-06-04, 10:52 PM
Catnap is a level 3 spell, so it be a bit before you could nab it, I also should note that you get 4 asis and 2 of them are for Elven accuracy and sharpshooter, so pick up some feats.

For progression If you want heavy armor
I’d go Fighter 1 > Hexblade 5 > Bard 5 > Fighter 3 > Hexblade 12

If you don’t for whatever reason then take Fighter 1 after Hexblade 5 .

Sorry I'm not actually looking at the PHB because I'm on my phone. But if I remember Bard progression for level 3 spell slots, would I need to be Bard 5 to grab catnap? Also, thank you I like that progression. Deciding on if I'd like to go heavy armor on the fattie or if it doesn't work with him. I do a mesh of building for strength and backstory, I wanted a very fat Legolas so leather might be more suitable. However, it would likely be more beneficial starting Fighter lol

If I start as Warlock should it be Warlock 5 > Fighter 1 > Bard 5 > Fighter 3 > Warlock 12? Or Warlock 5 > Fighter 3 > Bard 5 > Warlock 12?

Lorka
2018-06-05, 03:11 AM
The whole Devil Sight + Darkness combo is not as easy as it looks on paper. In my Red Hand of Doom campaign, that just concluded, the rogue/warlock tried to use this trick and half the time he was giving his own party members disadvantage and half the time he was fighting Devils, whom all have Devil Sight. There was only once it worked perfectly, but that was also epic, he ended up murdering about 12 soldiers solo.

It's a super cool combo, just don't build a character around it.

A much better way for the Warlock to get advantage is to be Fey and use Faerie Fire, this also benefits the whole party. And ArchFey patron fits a longbow using elf much better.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-06-05, 09:01 AM
Sorry I'm not actually looking at the PHB because I'm on my phone. But if I remember Bard progression for level 3 spell slots, would I need to be Bard 5 to grab catnap? Also, thank you I like that progression. Deciding on if I'd like to go heavy armor on the fattie or if it doesn't work with him. I do a mesh of building for strength and backstory, I wanted a very fat Legolas so leather might be more suitable. However, it would likely be more beneficial starting Fighter lol

If I start as Warlock should it be Warlock 5 > Fighter 1 > Bard 5 > Fighter 3 > Warlock 12? Or Warlock 5 > Fighter 3 > Bard 5 > Warlock 12?

yeah you need bard 5 for catnap. I would do 1 level of fighter in between warlock and bard rather than all of them. This is simply for a narrative purpose, as well as i want that catnap sooner than later (as well as other bard goodies). Bard gets more out of your stats and delaying might no be the best unless you value action surge, second wind, and a couple of arcane shots more. After you get catnap the short rest goodies of the next two levels of fighter are more valuable, especially since at that point your proff is doing more for the DCs than Int is.

Talionis
2018-06-05, 01:02 PM
Out of the Box:

If you have or can have 13 strength, Divine Paladin maybe the way to go for a 3 level dip. Being able to give yourself +5 to hit from the use of your Divine Inspiration for a minute is a great way to get around the accuracy loss from using Sharpshooter feat. Not to mention that some of the Smites in the Paladin spell list are usable on a bow... Those smites are on the Hexblade spell list too, so even if you don't use Paladin, look at the smite spells, I believe the 2 level and 5th level smite spells, I believe are the ones that work on ranged attacks and add some real utility to this type of character.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-06-05, 01:18 PM
Out of the Box:

If you have or can have 13 strength, Divine Paladin maybe the way to go for a 3 level dip. Being able to give yourself +5 to hit from the use of your Divine Inspiration for a minute is a great way to get around the accuracy loss from using Sharpshooter feat. Not to mention that some of the Smites in the Paladin spell list are usable on a bow... Those smites are on the Hexblade spell list too, so even if you don't use Paladin, look at the smite spells, I believe the 2 level and 5th level smite spells, I believe are the ones that work on ranged attacks and add some real utility to this type of character.

Arcane shots would do better plus warlock has the smites anyway (and Eldritch smites). level of Pally would give divine favor but the Fighter levels give a consistent +2 from fighting style and bard levels give additional utility and buffs.

Though Pally isn't a bad option, i think bard+fighter beats it.

Talionis
2018-06-05, 03:37 PM
Arcane shots would do better plus warlock has the smites anyway (and Eldritch smites). level of Pally would give divine favor but the Fighter levels give a consistent +2 from fighting style and bard levels give additional utility and buffs.

Though Pally isn't a bad option, i think bard+fighter beats it.

The accuracy buff from Divine Paladin at +Charisma which should be +5 is one of the biggest buffs to accuracy you can get in the game and it can be used often enough to be up most of the time. It could also potentially stack with the Fighter accuracy buff. Its generally only necessary for the Sharpshooter feat, and I agree most builds can't /won't use it because the Strength requirement hurts on what is already most likely a fairly MAD build with high Dex and high Charisma.

It was better before Hexblade was released and you could also get the Smite spells, but now that you already have access to them from Warlock the advantage has gone down.

TrajanJeebus
2018-06-05, 06:10 PM
The whole Devil Sight + Darkness combo is not as easy as it looks on paper. In my Red Hand of Doom campaign, that just concluded, the rogue/warlock tried to use this trick and half the time he was giving his own party members disadvantage and half the time he was fighting Devils, whom all have Devil Sight. There was only once it worked perfectly, but that was also epic, he ended up murdering about 12 soldiers solo.

It's a super cool combo, just don't build a character around it.

A much better way for the Warlock to get advantage is to be Fey and use Faerie Fire, this also benefits the whole party. And ArchFey patron fits a longbow using elf much better.

I don't think it is very RELIANT, however I will say that the downside of a campaign that is mostly devils is this clearly doesn't work as much hahaha. HOWEVER, I will state the giving party members disadvantage is circumnavigated by moving as far as possible which is helpful being an archer. Against non-devils this begins to really shine. The combo is very neat when it goes off, but even without tri-vantage you're still gaining quite a damage boost assuming most of your shots hit.

TrajanJeebus
2018-06-05, 06:12 PM
yeah you need bard 5 for catnap. I would do 1 level of fighter in between warlock and bard rather than all of them. This is simply for a narrative purpose, as well as i want that catnap sooner than later (as well as other bard goodies). Bard gets more out of your stats and delaying might no be the best unless you value action surge, second wind, and a couple of arcane shots more. After you get catnap the short rest goodies of the next two levels of fighter are more valuable, especially since at that point your proff is doing more for the DCs than Int is.

I was assuming that was the proper progression as well. I even considered 5 bard before ANY fighter, but I think I really want to get that +2 ASAP and then grab catnap.

TrajanJeebus
2018-06-05, 06:13 PM
Out of the Box:

I think that is definitely another very viable option. However, I think I would love to grab Catnap off the Bard so I can continuously do my short-rest shenanigans.

kalanijasmine
2018-06-07, 10:54 AM
I don't think it is very RELIANT, however I will say that the downside of a campaign that is mostly devils is this clearly doesn't work as much hahaha. HOWEVER, I will state the giving party members disadvantage is circumnavigated by moving as far as possible which is helpful being an archer. Against non-devils this begins to really shine. The combo is very neat when it goes off, but even without tri-vantage you're still gaining quite a damage boost assuming most of your shots hit.

One thing people are forgetting - Darkness is actually the great equalizer, and is actually one of my go-to spells to bypass enemies which can gain easy advantage (pack tactics I am looking at you).

Being unseen grants you advantage on your attack rolls. Being unable to see grants you disadvantage on your attack rolls. If either you, or your target is in the radius of darkness, and you lack devil's sight (or similar ability), both the advantage and disadvantage cancel each other out, and you make a flat-roll.

For a party that doesn't have reliable sources of advantage, darkness can be very party friendly to everyone who isn't the party spellcaster(s), as most spells require LoS. If the party fighter lacks a good source of advantage, attacking from darkness, isn't half bad as it negates enemy advantage. It also removes disadvantage from things like the dodge action, meaning that if your dpr is higher than the enemies - evening the playing field by removing adv/dis may actually be a net-gain.

It depends on the party dynamic of course, but darkness is often maligned by characters who could actually benefit from removing adv/dis from the equation.

Seekergeek
2018-06-07, 11:36 AM
Ok, so, um, I didn't read everyone's replies because there was a bunch of 'em. I can say that I've got a hexblade archer that I have absolutely loved and which has really come in to its own since hitting level 8. What I've got is a divine soul 3/hexblade 5. I have quicken as one of my metamagic and I quicken guiding bolt or darkness and follow that up with a thirsting blade/sharpshooter/eldritch smite barrage of death. We're running ToA and (MINOR SPOILERS) I found myself with a boon that gives me a third attack which has made this combo all the tastier. With Hexblade you also get branding smite which works with ranged weapon attacks for an extra uumph if you can manage it. Really fun, really straight forward build in combat which has allowed for my limited number of spells known to be spent on more utility spells.

Edit: Also favoured of the gods helps to make sure you don't waste an opportunity to smite with sharpshooter's penalty when it counts.

jaappleton
2018-06-07, 11:49 AM
Warlock / Eldritch Knight

With EK, take utility and defensive spells. Nothing with an attack roll.

Shield, Feather Fall, etc. You don’t ever want to use a Warlock slot on Shield.

You also get Archery Style, Action Surge, more ASIs, etc.

EK is a better fit with a better spell list than Ranger. Yes, I said that. The Exclusive Ranger spells really suck, especially for when you get them. Lightning Arrow? Really? Shatter from a lv3 Tempest Cleric (One third the level of the Ranger) does it better.

......Actually, Cleric wouldn’t be bad here, either. You get healing spells and Channel Divinity off a short rest. Just be sure to pick something that doesn’t scale off Cleric Levels to use.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-06-07, 12:26 PM
Warlock / Eldritch Knight

......Actually, Cleric wouldn’t be bad here, either. You get healing spells and Channel Divinity off a short rest. Just be sure to pick something that doesn’t scale off Cleric Levels to use.

Yeah but at that point shouldn’t you just be a Divine Soul?

Vogie
2018-06-07, 01:11 PM
Yeah but at that point shouldn’t you just be a Divine Soul?

Not necessarily. Clerics can give heavy armor proficiency, depending on your domain, and lots of active & reactive abilities, as well as combos that just aren't available to Divine soul. For example, if a party member falls, a divine soul sorc dip can give the PC a bonus action Healing word, but that'll always due significantly less healing than Grave Cleric's Circle of Mortality combo, or any of a Life Cleric's empowered healing spells.

that_one_kobold
2018-06-07, 01:24 PM
Step 1: take eldritch blast

Step 2: take agonizing blast

Step 3: profit

Mortis_Elrod
2018-06-07, 02:18 PM
Not necessarily. Clerics can give heavy armor proficiency, depending on your domain, and lots of active & reactive abilities, as well as combos that just aren't available to Divine soul. For example, if a party member falls, a divine soul sorc dip can give the PC a bonus action Healing word, but that'll always due significantly less healing than Grave Cleric's Circle of Mortality combo, or any of a Life Cleric's empowered healing spells.

Sure that sounds nice but to really benifet from the cleric you’d need some things:

-15 Str if you want that heavy armor proficiency to mean anything

- 13+wisdom unless your really chooses with spells and domains, but a lot of domains use your wisdom in some way.

- A clear reason to use this class over any other for the goal of. An “Ultimate Warlock Archer “

So with those three things competing against the ease of use of the Divine Soul Sorcerer ,who can spend a Sorcerery point to roll that healing dice for the same effect if not more considering you wouldn’t need to bump multiple stats, cleric doesn’t hold much water.

Not saying cleric is Bad, just probably not as useful as the Divine Soul, for this particular idea anyway.