PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Super-casual events in generic Plains

Pinjata
2018-06-04, 07:12 AM
Hey, guys.

Recently, I had made this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?558618-Super-casual-events-in-a-generic-D-amp-D-village) and it has produced some of most immersive material in my campaign so far.

I'd like to ask for similar stuff, just in Plains. (It's 5e, Faerun, Green fields setting) My party departed in Plains (inspirational art here (https://www.google.si/search?biw=1242&bih=579&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=pisVW6-AEMmX6ATs46OgAQ&q=mtg+plains+art&oq=mtg+plains+art&gs_l=img.3..0i7i30k1l2j0i8i7i30k1.2601.2769.0.2880 .2.2.0.0.0.0.146.146.0j1.1.0....0...1c.1.64.img..1 .1.145....0.bIadpFvNg0E#imgrc=K-WCZWyyBeHB0M:)) and are now travelling via rather abandoned, rutted road in Plains. An occasional caravan passes along this road perhaps once a week, a lone traveller, a hurried band of adventurers.

What common, super-casual events/sights can I introduce in my player's journey?

thanks

Armored Walrus
2018-06-04, 07:37 AM
Hawks and/or eagles wheeling lazily in the sky.

A field full of sunflowers, like a rank of soldiers, all facing the same direction.

A herd of wild horses/bison/antelopes/deer/(centaurs if you're going more full-on fantasy) galloping in the distance.

A lone tree at the top of a sandy bank, silhouetted against a sky with gathering storm clouds.

nickl_2000
2018-06-04, 07:43 AM
A lion/panther/cheetah hunting and scaring a herd of antelope.
A small farmhouse in the middle of miles of fields growing wheat with smoke lazily coming from a chimney.
A small brook travelling through the plains with a boar drinking from it.
Find a tribe of native people herding rothe's through the grasslands.
A rainstorm goes through where you can see lightning at a distance. The lightning storm is beautiful and you can see time where 3-4 lightning strikes happen at the same time.
A single cloud that looks like the symbol for one of the PCs deity flies slowly through the sky

Magzimum
2018-06-04, 07:51 AM
Non-dangerous descriptions for farm-fields:
- If there are fields, there are farmers.
- If there are farmers, there are villages.
- If there are villages, there are pubs.
- If there are pubs, there are thirsty adventurers, interesting items on the menu, gambling games and maybe a pub fight.
- Also: Falcons may be on the hunt for mice or other rodents

Fields that are not farmed (i.e. steppe, grasslands)
- Noise of crickets
- Buffalo/bison/wildebeast roaming in huge herds
- Hunters like wolves, lions, hyenas
- Snakes hidden in the bushes
- Watering holes, small creeks and larger rivers (full of crocodiles?)

I hope I understood your question correctly!

ImproperJustice
2018-06-04, 08:06 AM
On the warm nights, fireflies come out and provide a brilliant display.

You pass a Druid/Cleric who is the local spiritual leader blessing crops.

Farmers helping an animal give birth.

A simple pond, still and clear as glass from a distance. Teeming with all manner of normal insect life on closer inspection.

A great field of dandelions caught in a sudden breeze produces a cloud of fluffy white seeds.

Atop a distant hillock, in the shade of a tree you see a young shepherd boy playing a lazy tune on his flute as he keeps watch of a small flock of sheep. The tones are occasionally punctuated by the sharp barks of his nearby dog as it helps to keep any of the herd from wandering away.

Lorsa
2018-06-04, 08:20 AM
A double rainbow in the horizon.

A sudden burst of wind that blows off one of the PCs hats (or other equipment).

One of the horses finds a tasty patch of flowers and refuses to walk away until it's all eaten.

The remnants of an old campsite.

The sound of massive wings flapping far above the PCs (if they look up it's the silhouette of a Dragon).

An old dead tree which makes an eerie sound when the wind blows through it.

A broken wagon wheel lying on the side of the road.

A pool of mud/water after the latest rain at the bottom of a small slope in the road.

xroads
2018-06-04, 08:37 AM
If you want to have a little fun with your players, tell them as they crest a hill they notice a series of crop circles nearby. :smallbiggrin:

Pefgis
2018-06-04, 09:56 AM
Periodic occurrences of stone statues shaped like frogs(or anything really)that served as shrines and landmarks to travelers on a long overgrown pilgrim road

cresting a hill leads to a view overlooking a field filled with thousands of white and yellow butterflies

the remains of a sinkhole, mostly filled up by years of rain and detritus, used as a burrow for a giant badger, or similar animal

a large circular nest of some ground nesting bird, with or without eggs, broken or otherwise

a patch of land in a lowland where no vegetation seems to grow or no birds, insects, or frogs sing

a caravan of colorful carts and wagons alive with the sound of song and children laughing. A traveling band of nomadic trades folk and entertainers.

an elephant graveyard filled with sun-dried toughened sinews, ragged leathered strips of skin, and bleached bones

signposts filled with etchings and graffiti of travelers: thieves can't marks indicating a long and weary road ahead, the whereabouts of a farm with plenty of work, distrustful folk, or a pretty farmer's daughter, and more innocuous doodles of hearts with names of sweethearts, caricatures, profanity, bawdy limericks,or whimsical nonsense

A small community, replete with ramshackle wooden shelters, set upon either bank at a toll bridge crossing a river

A sandy hill that passing travelers swear is a sleeping or petrified dragon. Closer inspection reveals strata of an ancient inland sea; a partially exposed fossil of a giant fish can be seen