PDA

View Full Version : are these custom feat two powerful

Amdy_vill
2018-06-04, 07:46 AM
so i made these for my players to use if they were dragonborn. i will be making more for other races but wanted to make sure these were fairly well balanced.

changed some thing. this is what it looks like now.

Draconic wings
Perquisites: dragonborn, dragon wings
Your fly speed increases to 60ft. As a reaction action you can can move 60ft into the air to adived a successful attack. You can not use this ability till you have had a long rest.

Dragons breath
Perquisites: dragonborn
You gain an extra use of your breath weapon. Your breath weapon deals an extra d12 of damage. Once per day you can roll to recharge your breath weapon as an action. Roll a d6 if you get a 5 or 6 you regain both uses of you breath weapon. You can not do this again till you have a long rest.

Dragons gust
You gain the ability to as an action buffet your wings. Each creature with in 10ft must make a dex saving throw dc:8+proficiency+strength. If the creature fails it is knocked prone and move back 5 ft. if you have the dragon wings feat it effects any creature within 20ft and the dc:10+proficiency+strength and if a creature fails it is move back 10ft. If you have the draconic wings feat it effects any creature with in 30ft, the dc:12+proficiency+strength+constitution, and each creature that fails move 15 ft back and each creature that succeeds is move back 5ft

Mixed draconic ancestry
You discover the powers of a mix ancestry. Pick a type of dragon from the dragonborn ancestry table that is not the one you pick as you draconic ancestry at character creation. You then gain the following.

You gain that draconic ancestry’s breath weapon. You can use this breath weapon instead of your normal breath weapon. You do not gain another use of your breath weapon.

You gain that draconic ancestry’s resistance
Draconic wings
Perquisites: dragonborn, dragon wings, level 15
You gain a fly speed of 60ft. As a reaction you can impose disadvantage on attacks made against you this turn. After an attack hits or misses you move 60ft into the air to. You can not use this ability till you have had a long rest.

Dragons breath
Perquisites: dragonborn, level 5
You gain an extra use of your breath weapon. Your breath weapon deals an extra d12 of damage. Once per day you can roll to recharge your breath weapon as an action. Roll a d6 if you get a 5 or 6 you regain both uses of you breath weapon. You can not do this again till you have a long rest.

Dragons gust
You gain the ability to as an action buffet your wings. Each creature with in 10ft must make a str saving throw dc:8+proficiency+strength. If the creature fails it is knocked prone and move back 5 ft. if you have the dragon wings feat it effects any creature within 20ft and the dc:10+proficiency+strength and if a creature fails it is move back 10ft. If you have the draconic wings feat it effects any creature with in 30ft, the dc:12+proficiency+strength+constitution, and each creature that fails move 15 ft back and each creature that succeeds is move back 5ft. You can not do this again till you have a long rest.

Mixed draconic ancestry
You discover the powers of a mix ancestry. Pick a type of dragon from the dragonborn ancestry table that is not the one you pick as you draconic ancestry at character creation. You then gain the following.

You gain that draconic ancestry’s breath weapon. When making a breath weapon attack you can choose to use the breath weapon given by this feat instead.

Quoxis
2018-06-04, 08:37 AM
Just so you know, there’s a homebrew subforum, maybe go there in the future.

Draconic wings
Your fly speed increases to 60ft. As a reaction action you can can move 60ft into the air to adived a successful attack. You can not use this ability till you have had a long rest.

It’s „you gain“ a flying speed, there’s no such thing as a „reaction action“, i have no idea what the word „adived“ means and if it’s supposed to mean „avoid“ it’s way too powerful. 60ft is also way too much, at best give them 30-40.
Fix for the mechanical part: „When you’re targeted by an attack, as a reaction you can impose disadvantage on the attack before seeing the roll. (Alternative: add 1d6 to your AC, if you as a GM don’t like the disadvantage)
After the attack hit or missed, fly up to 30ft straight up into the air.“

Dragons breath

Making it an action to recharge is good, most players won’t do that during combat. The 1d12 bonus damage seems strong, but not overpowered...
Having two elemental attacks for 1d12+2d6 each seems a bit much in the lower levels - from level 5 onward it’s about as much as a great weapon wielding fighter does with multiattack - the fighter gets to add their Str mod, while your dragonborn can overcome weapon damage resistance. I like this one.

Dragons gust
You gain the ability to as an action buffet your wings. Each creature with in 10ft must make a dex saving throw dc:8+proficiency+strength. If the creature fails it is knocked prone and move back 5 ft. if you have the dragon wings feat it effects any creature within 20ft and the dc:10+proficiency+strength and if a creature fails it is move back 10ft. If you have the draconic wings feat it effects any creature with in 30ft, the dc:12+proficiency+strength+constitution, and each creature that fails move 15 ft back and each creature that succeeds is move back 5ft

Dragonborn don’t have wings. Can’t flap what you don’t have at people. I also don’t really like the thought of stacking feats. Lastly, most effects like that usually require a Str save to stay afoot, Dex is more of an „i jump out of the way“ thing, but that’s up to you.

Mixed draconic ancestry

You gain that draconic ancestry’s breath weapon. You can use this breath weapon instead of your normal breath weapon. You do not gain another use of your breath weapon.

For clarification i‘d phrase it „Whenever you use your breath weapon, you can choose to use the breath weapon gained by this feat instead“, because this is unclear whether you permanently change your breat weapon or just get to choose every time.

Foxolicious
2018-06-04, 08:50 AM
so i made these for my players to use if they were dragonborn. i will be making more for other races but wanted to make sure these were fairly well balanced.

Draconic wings

-This seems a little to OP for my liking
Increasing flying speed to 60 and to be able to get an extra movement as a reaction once per long rest this may be able to be exploited by players.

Dragons breath

-This one I really like gives the breath weapon a more uses and is a fun mechanic

Dragons gust

-This I'm guessing is for only once per long rest if not it can be easily exploited. Also the spell DC's are a bit much giving the players a awesome ability and a high DC the more feats they grab the harder it is for the DM to find a way to deal with the chaos of a player knocking an enemy prone while the others attack with advantage.

Mixed draconic ancestry

-All cool and makes the breath weapon more versatile

-I just think it may need a little tweaking for balancing issues but there all great ideas

Amdy_vill
2018-06-04, 09:06 AM

Draconic wings

-This seems a little to OP for my liking
Increasing flying speed to 60 and to be able to get an extra movement as a reaction once per long rest this may be able to be exploited by players.

Dragons breath

-This one I really like gives the breath weapon a more uses and is a fun mechanic

Dragons gust

-This I'm guessing is for only once per long rest if not it can be easily exploited. Also the spell DC's are a bit much giving the players a awesome ability and a high DC the more feats they grab the harder it is for the DM to find a way to deal with the chaos of a player knocking an enemy prone while the others attack with advantage.

Mixed draconic ancestry

-All cool and makes the breath weapon more versatile

-I just think it may need a little tweaking for balancing issues but there all great ideas

edits have been made

Amdy_vill
2018-06-04, 09:15 AM
Just so you know, there’s a homebrew subforum, maybe go there in the future.

i was fairly center there was one but i could not find it. there was only 5e 4e 3/3.5e and older. is it in another part of the site?

Quoxis
2018-06-05, 04:21 PM
i was fairly center there was one but i could not find it. there was only 5e 4e 3/3.5e and older. is it in another part of the site?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design

Davrix
2018-06-05, 10:49 PM
Just so you know, there’s a homebrew subforum, maybe go there in the future

The homebrew is for all editions and sometimes it does get lost in the shuffle. I do not think there is anything against the rules by posting whatever 5th ed content you have in these forums, homebrew or otherwise. As long as it pertains to the correct ed.

suggestions below the quote bubbles

Draconic wings

You need to put in the limitation that you cannot fly while wearing heavy armor. The kobold flight talent in the XGTE supplement has the same restriction or this will become the must have of any fighter or paladin dragonborn you have. Also the kobold one only gives 30ft I suggest you use that distance for yours as well.

Dragons breath

Breath weapon is one of the weakest racials there is. This feat doesn't offer enough to make it worth the cost. Making it a bonus action and adding 1 extra D of damage each teir level would make it much more useful especially if you keep the once per day recharge.

Dragons gust

Do your dragonborn have wings by default? otherwise how are they doing this wing attack if you have the dragon wings behind a feat already. This also reads as to complicated and messy as its written. Change the prerequisite to Draconic wings instead and use 1 set DC save and range for it. Putting multiple equetions into something wont be easy to read and reference quickly.

Mixed draconic ancestry

Nothing wrong with this one, its kind of even fun I'm just not sure if its worth the price of a feat for it when the Elemental adept feat will offer you the same resistance boost and augment perhaps your powers better instead of having just a different damage type on your fairly weak racial breath weapon.

ImproperJustice
2018-06-05, 11:28 PM
I like these.

I had been toying around with one for Dragon Breath myself, as I have a young player who loves Dragons and Dragonborn.

What we came up with looked like this:

Dragon Breath
Your breath weapon inflicts an additional die of damage upon taking this feat. It improves by an additional die at levels 5, 11, and 17.

You gain an additional use of your breath weapon per day, and you may recover uses upon a short rest.

We were debating as a kicker whether to allow Dragon Breath to also be used as a bonus action as part of thid feat or to throw in a half-stat increase.

Davrix
2018-06-05, 11:50 PM
I like these.

I had been toying around with one for Dragon Breath myself, as I have a young player who loves Dragons and Dragonborn.

What we came up with looked like this:

Dragon Breath
Your breath weapon inflicts an additional die of damage upon taking this feat. It improves by an additional die at levels 5, 11, and 17.

You gain an additional use of your breath weapon per day, and you may recover uses upon a short rest.

We were debating as a kicker whether to allow Dragon Breath to also be used as a bonus action as part of this feat or to throw in a half-stat increase.

I let them use it as a bonus even without a feat at my table otherwise no one ever uses it. Its just to weak after like the first two levels to be wroth your whole action unless your against something that is weak to its damage. But that's me as I personally feel the dragborn of 5th have gotten the short end of the stick this entire time.

Quoxis
2018-06-06, 09:33 AM
I let them use it as a bonus even without a feat at my table otherwise no one ever uses it. Its just to weak after like the first two levels to be wroth your whole action unless your against something that is weak to its damage. But that's me as I personally feel the dragborn of 5th have gotten the short end of the stick this entire time.

>laughs in half elf<

Davrix
2018-06-06, 12:37 PM
>laughs in half elf<

I dont see how Half-elf has it worse.

You get +2 char and +1 to two addtinal stats of your choice.
you get to pick any skills you want
Darkvision
Advantage on charm saves.
3 langagues at the start with one being of your choice of any language.

And many Dm's I know will let you take the human variant option. Granted this is not in the default rules but Its a popular option at many tables and mentioned in posts from time to time.

Vs Dragonborn

A locked in +2 str +1char
Resistance to one damage type (which may or may not come up ever)
No darkvision
A breath weapon that uses your action that deals less damage then most cantrips by 4th level.
Skills and languages are set lists

Blackbando
2018-06-06, 12:41 PM
I do not think there is anything against the rules by posting whatever 5th ed content you have in these forums, homebrew or otherwise. As long as it pertains to the correct ed.

If I recall, when I posted a thread asking about if that was allowed, a member of the staff said that it is explicitly not allowed. My memory could be off (it tends to be pretty bad), though.

Quoxis
2018-06-06, 12:48 PM
I dont see how Half-elf has it worse.

You get +2 char and +1 to two addtinal stats of your choice.
you get to pick any skills you want
Darkvision
Advantage on charm saves.
3 langagues at the start with one being of your choice of any language.

And many Dm's I know will let you take the human variant option. Granted this is not in the default rules but Its a popular option at many tables and mentioned in posts from time to time.

Vs Dragonborn

A locked in +2 str +1char
Resistance to one damage type (which may or may not come up ever)
No darkvision
A breath weapon that uses your action that deals less damage then most cantrips by 4th level.
Skills and languages are set lists

* >laughs in half-elf superiority due to commonly being acknowledged as one of the winners of the racial lottery<

Davrix
2018-06-06, 01:13 PM
* >laughs in half-elf superiority due to commonly being acknowledged as one of the winners of the racial lottery<

That makes more sense now :P

Quoxis
2018-06-06, 01:15 PM
That makes more sense now :P

>sweats nervously in being too dorky to transmit an opinion in a comprehensible way<

Davrix
2018-06-06, 01:19 PM
>sweats nervously in being too dorky to transmit an opinion in a comprehensible way<

Just use blue text next time. Its the forum meaning for sarcasm in a post.

Quoxis
2018-06-06, 01:24 PM
Just use blue text next time. Its the forum meaning for sarcasm in a post.

>sweating intensly in mobile user without fancy font and color options<

>all while feeling that this joke format is now a tad overused<