PDA

View Full Version : How much gold do they have left?

Regneva
2007-09-07, 08:38 AM
I haven't seen this discussed before but I don't really know just how much money does the oots have?

In the very early strips we see Haley with a man sized bag marked "Haley's Loot" and it was quite full with the riches that Haley has divided as her share. She is later seen swindling the others, trading in some useless rocks for their share of the gold.

As I remember they've managed to loot some (most) of what xykon had in there as treasure. It is implied that they've sold the valuable stuff they've found there.

Then they've disbanded the bandit group after using them for their needs (food, directions, ale) perhaps they got the money too?

Then of course there's the dragon loot. We know that it was many loaded carts worth of gold.

Then we see the inn burn down and Miko implies that "their treasure is gone, due to their lust". But we know that Haley managed to drag out at least one bag full of gold. And it was quite huge I remember. If Miko didn't neglect carrying the gold back to Azure city, they must still have that somewhere right now.

After their association with Shojo, Roy explains to the group "Belkar's share of the gold will be paid towards raising of the guard he killed" Does this mean that they will be rewarded money (by Shojo)? Or is it about what was left from the dragon loot?

It doesn't seem to matter much right now because we know that all of their money that they're not carrying on person (unlikely for Haley) is either in the last inn they've stayed in or somewhere else in Azure city. Fat chance they would get it back during or after the ongoing goblin invasion.

SteveMB
2007-09-07, 09:17 AM
After their association with Shojo, Roy explains to the group "Belkar's share of the gold will be paid towards raising of the guard he killed" Does this mean that they will be rewarded money (by Shojo)? Or is it about what was left from the dragon loot?
My read on Roy's comment (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0295.html) is that he's referring to Belkar's future share of loot in general (i.e. in modern terms, he's garnished Belkar's income), and in particular to the loot he hopes to acquire when he tracks down and defeats Xykon for good.

Edit: I wonder if

Belkar is now going to try to claim that there is now no hope of rezzing the guard, and he therefore shouldn't have to pay for it. He certainly has the chutzpah to do so. (Actually, I suspect that Shojo simply went ahead and had the guard rezzed already and didn't wait for Belkar to reimburse him, making the point moot.)

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-09-07, 09:17 AM
Hard to say... As you said, Haley pocketed at least one large bag of gold from the inn fire. She also has several bags of holding, which I think can be closed and rolled up to a very small size. So she could have from a few hundred gold pieces (she and Elan had enough for a free meal, plus tip), to more than enough to raise Roy, with left over diamonds. Just because Vaarsuvius doesn't know if the team has enough diamonds to raise Belkar or not, doesn't mean they don't.

Of course, whether or not Haley is willing to give up one of her precious diamonds for Belkar is an argument for another thread!

Following Rich's philosophy of "they are the level I need them to be to make the joke/story work," either she has enough gold for the job at hand, or she doesn't. :smallamused:

Of course, Celia may have resources of her own, she seems to come from a wealthy family (no proof, just speculation). I'm pretty sure the 17th will come one day, and we will get some resolution to our many questions. :smalltongue:

chibibar
2007-09-07, 10:57 AM
Funny thing about gaming (also this comic did this couple of times) that players always seem to "carry stuff" they need without having to "show" for it.

Looks at the OoTS, while they are moving around, you don't see Haley actually have a bow and quiver at all time (but she is carrying them) or a pouch that you can see. What about durkon's shield and hammer? V's spellbook?

I'm sure the money is tucked away in "player's space" until such item is needed. Lets not even try to figure out where Elan hide that belt.

Chronos
2007-09-07, 09:06 PM
Haley has had, at one point, at least 8 bags of holding, since when she's selecting her share of the magic items from Dorukan's Dungeon, Elan points out that she already has 7 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0130.html). She still has at least two Bags of Holding, since she was planning to put Roy's corpse (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0468.html) into one. It may therefore be deduced that she's kept all of her bags on her person, and therefore still has all eight. As of when she was recovering the treasure (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0243.html) from the burning inn, her bags of holding were still all full. So as of that time, she still had eight bags of holding and one normal bag, all full of treasure, and she's hardly spent much since then. A Bag of Holding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bagofHolding) holds at least 250 pounds or 30 cubic feet. So she still has at least 2000 pounds or 240 cubic feet of treasure. Even assuming that that's all copper pieces (unlikely), a copper piece weighs at most 1/3 ounce (that's the weight of a gold piece, and it's unclear whether the various coins are the same weight or the same size), so 2000 pounds of copper would be 96000 cp, or 960 GP. Of course, if it's mostly gold, it would be 100 times that value, and if it's gems, even more than that yet.

It should also be noted that they have some very valuable items, as well. The bags of holding themselves are worth at least 20,000 GP. Vaarsuvius' Ring of Wizardry (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#wizardry) is 70,000 GP, Elan's rapier (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm) is 32,000 GP, and Roy's sword is at least 72,000 GP (possibly more, since we don't know all of its properties). Belkar's Ring of Jumping +20 isn't listed, but by the item price guidelines (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm), should be worth 40,000 GP. Durkon's amulet of natural armor, Elan's boots of elvenkind, Belkar's cloak of elvenkind, and Roy's bag of tricks probably aren't worth much, but that's still another 8,000 GP or so. And they probably have some items that we don't know about, too (for instance, it's speculated that Vaarsuvius has a Headband of Intellect, and Haley's and Belkar's weapons are probably magical).

So yeah, they're doing pretty well, wealth-wise.

Lavidor
2007-09-08, 04:55 AM
Funny thing about gaming (also this comic did this couple of times) that players always seem to "carry stuff" they need without having to "show" for it.

Looks at the OoTS, while they are moving around, you don't see Haley actually have a bow and quiver at all time (but she is carrying them) or a pouch that you can see. What about durkon's shield and hammer? V's spellbook?

I'm sure the money is tucked away in "player's space" until such item is needed. Lets not even try to figure out where Elan hide that belt.

Durkons shield and hammer is on his back, and Haleys bow on hers. They are pretty obvious.

David Argall
2007-09-08, 02:32 PM
At the moment, the party is likely pretty broke. When they rescued Belkar from Miko, it was pointed out they could not afford the raise dead.

Also, the party just pulling out a gem for the raise dead is pretty dull. Much better they have to work someway for it.

Squark
2007-09-08, 02:37 PM
At the moment, the party is likely pretty broke. When they rescued Belkar from Miko, it was pointed out they could not afford the raise dead.

Also, the party just pulling out a gem for the raise dead is pretty dull. Much better they have to work someway for it.

Might be they lacked the gem itself, not the funds. And weren't sure a Diamond of that nature would be available (Not sure just how big a 5000 GP diamond is.

EDIT: ACtually, I think I MIGHT be able to figure out if they would be able to find it.. You see, a Gold piece is estimated to represent about $20 in terms of value. (When WOTC posted how much a gold piece would be worth IRL, it sparked a huge debate, and it was decided that in terms of relation in vlaue, $20=1GP) Thus, that's a $100,000 diamond. Ouch. Not sure where they're going to find that. Of course, the estimate was found using the price of bread and equating a masterwork weapon to a car. So, it isn't the greatest estimate for High end gems or magic items.

NikkTheTrick
2007-09-08, 08:12 PM
Currently, gold is ~ 700 USD /ounce (http://goldprice.org/gold-price.html)

Given that a gp is 1/3 ounce, it is about 233 USD/gp

Which means that 5000 GP is 1 165 000 USD.

A price of a very rich house in a very rich neighbourhood.

Enough to arm a small brigade (or a very large regiment) with AK-47s in Baltimore.

Enough to arm a small division with AK-47s in Afghanistan (provided those are not the best quality ones).

Rakleb
2007-09-08, 08:25 PM
:miko: I hate her :belkar: but I like him...

Chronos
2007-09-08, 09:49 PM
First off, the spell requires 5000 GP worth of diamonds, not necessarily just one big one. Five 1000 GP diamonds, or 10 500 GP ones, or a whole pile of diamond dust would all work. The cost is still the same, but this makes it much easier to find.

Second, it was Vaarsuvius who said that they couldn't afford a Raise Dead. I think it highly likely that nobody but Haley actually knows how much wealth the party has, given her status as (un)official party treasurer. So Vaarsuvius might genuinely be under the impression that they lack funds, when it's just that everyone except Haley lacks funds.