PDA

View Full Version : Is Otherworldly Leap worthwhile?

Segev
2018-06-04, 12:33 PM
This is the Warlock Invocation that requires level 9 and lets you cast jump on yourself at will. Jump triples your jump distance (so 3x your strength score long jump, and 9+3*(str mod) high jump, normally. While I won't say this is nothing - and, in fact, is a reasonably decent 1st level spell slot - I can't help but compare it to other Warlock Invocations and find it lacking. Particularly other "must be 9th level to take this" Invocations.

A particular point of comparison is Abundant Step, which is also 9th level minimum, and lets you cast levitate at will.

Is being able to jump 3x normal distances really that impressive, that it's considered equivalent to levitate at will? It doesn't even increase your move distance; you have to spend normal movement to cover distance leapt. Is it being at will really that useful compared to just casting a Warlock spell slot's worth of fly?

Am I missing something? Or is this just a really lame Invocation?

nickl_2000
2018-06-04, 12:37 PM
Well levitate requires concentration, something you are likely to already have focused on darkness or Hex. On the other hand Jump does not.

So, there is potential for usefulness there. Still, it's a utility that probably isn't worth it in most campaigns.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-06-04, 12:38 PM
It's a really lame invocation. It could be situationally useful and kind of fun, but there are so many better options out there. I mean, it's better than being able to cast Bane with one of your precious, limited spell slots, but I can't imagine ever really taking the ability to jump kind of further. I mean, maybe if you're multiclassing with Monk and just want to make a silly bouncing character it might work just for a one-off?

nickl_2000
2018-06-04, 12:40 PM
It's a really lame invocation. It could be situationally useful and kind of fun, but there are so many better options out there. I mean, it's better than being able to cast Bane with one of your precious, limited spell slots, but I can't imagine ever really taking the ability to jump kind of further. I mean, maybe if you're multiclassing with Monk and just want to make a silly bouncing character it might work just for a one-off?

Maybe if you combined it with a grappler build, so you could grab someone, leap into the air and suplex them into the ground?

MilkmanDanimal
2018-06-04, 12:49 PM
Maybe if you combined it with a grappler build, so you could grab someone, leap into the air and suplex them into the ground?

Oooh, I like that. Maybe in an Underdark campaign where there are lots of pits and chasms, and you grapple, jump over the chasm, drop the enemy, and then use Spider Climb to stick to the walls. So, Evil Grappler Spider-Man?

ImproperJustice
2018-06-04, 12:56 PM
It falls in that category of you don’t realize how handy it is until you have it, kinda thing.

Good for not using up Concentration, and vertical hops over 10’ rivers, getting up into trees, grapples, climbing foes, climbing in general, and speeding through difficult terrain.

Crgaston
2018-06-04, 01:11 PM
The problem with the Jump spell is that you pretty much have to take the Dash action to get the most out of it if your strength is over 7 or under 20.

Str 7: Run 10 feet and Jump 21 =31
Str 20: Standing Long Jump =30

If you have 2 levels of Rogue, you can use the Cunning Action Dash and make an Attack on the same round as Jumping. So if you dumped Str and didn’t take Athletics and your DM likes obstacles, it could be handy. Or if you’re a pre-Hexblade Bladelock, the mobility is pretty awesome.

Regardless, there are better invocations, but it’s not entirely worthless.

tieren
2018-06-04, 01:20 PM
The problem with the Jump spell is that you pretty much have to take the Dash action to get the most out of it if your strength is over 7 or under 20.

definitely the usefulness depends on how your DM deals with jumps longer than your regular movement.

Segev
2018-06-04, 01:43 PM

Str 7: Run 10 feet and Jump 21 =31
Str 20: Standing Long Jump =30

If you have 2 levels of Rogue, you can use the Cunning Action Dash and make an Attack on the same round as Jumping. So if you dumped Str and didn’t take Athletics and your DM likes obstacles, it could be handy. Or if you’re a pre-Hexblade Bladelock, the mobility is pretty awesome.

Regardless, there are better invocations, but it’s not entirely worthless.
I'll point out that expeditious retreat is a Warlock spell, and its 5e effect is to let you make a Dash action as a bonus action every turn, so you could do it without the Rogue levels. However, that does re-eat your Concentration.

So it's about as lame as I thought.

Expanding the topic a bit, are there ANY "You may spend a Warlock spell once per long rest to cast this one spell" Invocations that are worth it? Again, doesn't seem so to me. It's costing a precious Invocation slot AND a Warlock spell slot BUT you can't even cast it more than once anyway!

I'm wondering what the designers were thinking with some of these.

And, what would it take to make Otherworldly Leap worth its invocation slot? (Heck, would it be worth it if it were something you could take at level 2? I'm not sure jump is such a good first level spell that having Warlocks spend a scarcer resource on access to it wouldn't counterbalance the at-will usage. If not more than counterbalance it.)

Grear Bylls
2018-06-04, 01:49 PM

This is something I planned to do. My AL wrestler character had an option to go for a ring of jump just yesterday. I went without it, as it would bog down attunement and # of items

Grod_The_Giant
2018-06-04, 02:07 PM
And, what would it take to make Otherworldly Leap worth its invocation slot? (Heck, would it be worth it if it were something you could take at level 2? I'm not sure jump is such a good first level spell that having Warlocks spend a scarcer resource on access to it wouldn't counterbalance the at-will usage. If not more than counterbalance it.)
As an ungated Invocation? Yeah, sure, I can see taking it. It wouldn't be a must-pick, but it would be pretty dang fun.

Vogie
2018-06-04, 02:21 PM
Expanding the topic a bit, are there ANY "You may spend a Warlock spell once per long rest to cast this one spell" Invocations that are worth it? Again, doesn't seem so to me. It's costing a precious Invocation slot AND a Warlock spell slot BUT you can't even cast it more than once anyway!

As far as I can tell, the bulk of the ones that use a warlock spell slot are those that scale with spell level. Except for Polymorph and Slow. Those I don't know. Maybe for power level reasons?

MilkmanDanimal
2018-06-04, 02:29 PM

Nope, not a single one. Now, if you want to house rule them as "cast spell X WITHOUT using a spell slot", there's some utility there, as spell slots are a precious, limited resource for Warlocks. I don't think a single use of Bane or Confusion per long rest is either overpowered or worthless, and could totally fit a character concept.

Burning up a spell slot, though? I can't ever think of a reason to take one, and those might be about the singly worst class feature out there.

Crgaston
2018-06-04, 02:41 PM
I'll point out that expeditious retreat is a Warlock spell, and its 5e effect is to let you make a Dash action as a bonus action every turn, so you could do it without the Rogue levels. However, that does re-eat your Concentration.

So it's about as lame as I thought.

Good call on Expeditious Retreat, though,as you point out, it's still lame.

Honestly I wish the Jump spell worked differently, because, hey, it's magic. Something like "If your magical Jump distance exceeds your Speed, you must make a DC 10 Athletics or Acrobatics check or fall prone at the end of your Jump, and your Move Action ends when you land. If you also land in Difficult Terrain, you make this check with disadvantage."

Regarding the "You may spend a Warlock spell once per long rest to cast this one spell" Invocations, best I can figure is they are a way to acquire Spells Known, which are a pretty limited resource for Warlock, without actually taking up a "Spell Known" slot. But I think they failed in that balance equation. The ONLY worthwhile one is the Sculptor of Flesh one for Polymorph, IMO. Otherwise you're trading a MORE valuable resource.

Talionis
2018-06-04, 03:18 PM
Well levitate requires concentration, something you are likely to already have focused on darkness or Hex. On the other hand Jump does not.

So, there is potential for usefulness there. Still, it's a utility that probably isn't worth it in most campaigns.

I did not notice this. Thanks for pointing this out.

I had always wondered why they didn't allow you to take Otherworldly Leap at level 1 or 5, since there are other level one spells that you can take as invocations, such as Mage Armor and False Life. I guess it would give even more reason for a two level dip in Warlock...

Where i was going with it is we house ruled this to have no level requirement, so that it could be used early and then replaced by levitation.

Levitation isn't flying so there are times that Jumping is superior to Levitation, but I have used my flying familar to pull me levitating so that I get a poor maneuveablilty bad fly speed, continuously on fly speed at level 9.

Segev
2018-06-04, 04:01 PM
Regarding the "You may spend a Warlock spell once per long rest to cast this one spell" Invocations, best I can figure is they are a way to acquire Spells Known, which are a pretty limited resource for Warlock, without actually taking up a "Spell Known" slot. But I think they failed in that balance equation. The ONLY worthwhile one is the Sculptor of Flesh one for Polymorph, IMO. Otherwise you're trading a MORE valuable resource.I'm honestly unsure anything restricted to 1/day (that isn't a day-long duration, anyway) is really worth both an Invocation and a Warlock spell slot. Heck, do the Invocations even really let you count as knowing those spells? Could you cast them with another class's spell slots?

I don't think even Mystic Arcanum actually count as a "known spell" for purposes of other classes' spell slots, unlike known pact magic spells.

I did not notice this. Thanks for pointing this out.

I had always wondered why they didn't allow you to take Otherworldly Leap at level 1 or 5, since there are other level one spells that you can take as invocations, such as Mage Armor and False Life. I guess it would give even more reason for a two level dip in Warlock...

Where i was going with it is we house ruled this to have no level requirement, so that it could be used early and then replaced by levitation.

Levitation isn't flying so there are times that Jumping is superior to Levitation, but I have used my flying familar to pull me levitating so that I get a poor maneuveablilty bad fly speed, continuously on fly speed at level 9.Hah. The image of a bird pulling a warlock along through the air is funny. It's an interesting question whether they would need to be able to drag your weight by their strength score or not. You may be hovering, but you're still massive...

JakOfAllTirades
2018-06-04, 04:57 PM
The Athlete feat allows a full-length jump after only 5 ft of movement. (Also use less movement to stand up from prone, and climb faster.)

The Mobile feat adds 10 ft to your speed. (Also ignore difficult terrain with Dash action, and avoid opportunity attacks from foes you attack even you miss.)

Both of these are potentially useful to a Warlock with the Otherworldly Leap Invocation. Mobile actually looks quite useful for melee BladeLocks in general.

Kane0
2018-06-04, 08:04 PM
I'd greatly prefer it without the Level 9 restriction. Level 5 at most.

That said, getting in some extra jump distance isn't useless, there is just a lot of competition for invocations. At least it's better than Thief of Five Fates.

Segev
2018-06-05, 09:33 AM
I'd greatly prefer it without the Level 9 restriction. Level 5 at most.

That said, getting in some extra jump distance isn't useless, there is just a lot of competition for invocations. At least it's better than Thief of Five Fates.

Yeah, I will agree that I could see jump as a useful spell, say, on the Warlock spell list. I could see it maybe even being a useful Invocation at levels 1-4. But by level 5, if the Warlock really wants combat mobility offered by jump, he can have fly as a Warlock spell, which...while not spammable in every conceivable situation at will, is going to be usable most of the time he'd really NEED it, since short rests are not that bad a cost. (Yes, Concentration and only a 10 minute (or is it 1?) duration. But Otherworldly Leap is only going to see more use because you CAN do so, so you might as well.)

I really have no idea what they were thinking with the 9th level restriction. What are they trying to prevent a lower-level Warlock from outshining or overpowering?

MilkmanDanimal
2018-06-05, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I will agree that I could see jump as a useful spell, say, on the Warlock spell list. I could see it maybe even being a useful Invocation at levels 1-4. But by level 5, if the Warlock really wants combat mobility offered by jump, he can have fly as a Warlock spell, which...while not spammable in every conceivable situation at will, is going to be usable most of the time he'd really NEED it, since short rests are not that bad a cost. (Yes, Concentration and only a 10 minute (or is it 1?) duration. But Otherworldly Leap is only going to see more use because you CAN do so, so you might as well.)

I really have no idea what they were thinking with the 9th level restriction. What are they trying to prevent a lower-level Warlock from outshining or overpowering?

I definitely see Jump as a useful spell, but I just have a hard time seeing it as useful enough to burn an invocation, at any level. Even as an out-of-the-gate invocation, it's competing with Agonizing Blast, Armor of Shadows, Devil's Sight, Fiendish Vigor, Mask of Many Faces, Misty Visions . . . heck, even invocations to give you at-will Detect Magic or to read every language have a lot of utility. It's just a matter of opportunity cost; whatever value you're likely to get out of being able to cast Jump at any time is almost undoubtedly going to be pretty significantly outstripped by at least half a dozen other invocations.

I do think it could be a fun thing or if you wanted to play some bouncing, crazy Monk/Warlock combo it could have its niche use, but . . . geez, Jump? I get that it fits in with the whole "free first-level Wizard spell" thing you're getting with the options for Detect Magic, Disguise Self, False Life, and all, but it's just a really odd choice at any level, let alone 9th (which is just bizarre). I was actually just looking through the Wizard first-level list, and, man, could certain other spells in an at-will form just be kind of ridiculously useful. Fog Cloud? Shield? Tasha's Hideous Laughter?

KorvinStarmast
2018-06-05, 10:55 AM
If you are a pact of the blade Warlock, and find ogre gauntlets or a belt of Giant strength ... at level 9 the ogre or Hill Giant aren't that far beyond reason.

19 Str (Ogres) Uncommon
Hill giant 21 Rare
Stone/frost giant 23 Very rare
Fire giant 25 Very rare
Cloud giant 27 Legendary
Storm giant 29 Legendary

Let's walk the dog on this jump:
Duration is One Minute, does not require concentration.

Long Jump. When you make a long jump, you cover a number of feet up to your Strength score if you move at least 10 feet on foot immediately before the jump. When you make a standing long jump, you can leap one half that distance.
Jump triples your jump distance (so 3x your strength score long jump, and 9+3*(str mod) high jump)

Ogre: 57' long jump running, 23.5' standing
Hill Giant: 63' long jump; 31.5 standing.
13 or 14 ' high jump

You can extend your arms half your height above yourself during the jump. Thus, you can reach above you a distance equal to the height of the jump plus 1½ times your height.

With ease, you can, if six feet tall, jump up and catch reach a 20' ledge / bar/ thing above you.

With a strength boosting Magic Item, the value of this seems to be a bit more pronounced.

Segev
2018-06-05, 11:29 AM
I definitely see Jump as a useful spell, but I just have a hard time seeing it as useful enough to burn an invocation, at any level. Even as an out-of-the-gate invocation, it's competing with Agonizing Blast, Armor of Shadows, Devil's Sight, Fiendish Vigor, Mask of Many Faces, Misty Visions . . . heck, even invocations to give you at-will Detect Magic or to read every language have a lot of utility. It's just a matter of opportunity cost; whatever value you're likely to get out of being able to cast Jump at any time is almost undoubtedly going to be pretty significantly outstripped by at least half a dozen other invocations.

I do think it could be a fun thing or if you wanted to play some bouncing, crazy Monk/Warlock combo it could have its niche use, but . . . geez, Jump? I get that it fits in with the whole "free first-level Wizard spell" thing you're getting with the options for Detect Magic, Disguise Self, False Life, and all, but it's just a really odd choice at any level, let alone 9th (which is just bizarre). I was actually just looking through the Wizard first-level list, and, man, could certain other spells in an at-will form just be kind of ridiculously useful. Fog Cloud? Shield? Tasha's Hideous Laughter?

It's moderately interesting as a question: would jump be worth taking as a first-level Warlock spell? Warlocks get (very) roughly twice as many spells known as they do invocations, so it's still a hefty opportunity cost.

It is better as an Invocation than a spell; at will has its own utility. Though it's far less in need of it than, say, Mask of Many Faces (disguise self) or Misty Visions (silent image), since those at-will means you can actually switch around what the illusions ARE rapidly, putting the Warlock ironically better at illusions than the Illusionist Wizard, at least before level 6. And still competitive even at level 6+, since the Warlock still has at-will illusions that are better than minor illusion and only loses out on the ability to swap out major image effects on a single casting. He still can cast it more often than the Wizard.

But... unlike those others, would you need to use jump that often? So often that at-will is really going to shine over once or twice every few hours?

To a degree, what answers the question as to why, say, Tasha's hideous laughter would be broken while silent image isn't in an at-will class feature is the nature of them. Tasha's hideous laughter is a powerful debuff. A fight-ender. Silent image is more utility. You can get away with utility being more at-will than you can combat spells, because combat spells balance their limited uses against potency and fight-ending potential. The limited uses are far more important to their balance. Utility spells often have reasonably long durations because their actually struggling AGAINST their limited uses to stay worth the spell slot they cost. Making them at-will just extends that duration to "yes," in effect.

It's no coincidence that several Invocations that are basically 1st level spells at will are for spells that have the "Ritual" tag. Detect magic, comprehend languages, etc. (Eyes of the Rune Keeper is actually a little better than comprehend languages, but you can get most of its utility by having the ritual version of the spell.)

Crushgrip
2018-06-05, 12:09 PM
I would say that for the majority of Warlock's (aside from bladelocks) it is not worthwhile. This came up in our current game with the warlock looking at the possibility of jumping out of melee range onto surrounding buildings, platforms, ect. with the Jump Spell. This would not work out very well as strength is typically a dump stat for locks and our current 'lock has a 9 strength. With a 9 strength and Jump cast his high jump would be (3 + STR MODIFIER (-1 at 9 strength) x 3) 6 feet high...not really useful. This becomes more useful for a melee build as STR will likely not be a dump stat.

It does become useful for long jump even for the low strength characters.

Vorpalchicken
2018-06-05, 12:17 PM
Jump triples your jump distance (so 3x your strength score long jump, and 9+3*(str mod) high jump)

21' (gauntlets) or 24' (hill giant belt) high jump

Fixed that.

I have never regretted taking this invocation. I would say unless you have a way to fly without concentration it is very worth while.

As an aside, I think sculptor of flesh is also a good pick, despite using a slot and being 1/day.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-06-05, 12:19 PM
I would say that for the majority of Warlock's (aside from bladelocks) it is not worthwhile. This came up in our current game with the warlock looking at the possibility of jumping out of melee range onto surrounding buildings, platforms, ect. with the Jump Spell. This would not work out very well as strength is typically a dump stat for locks and our current 'lock has a 9 strength. With a 9 strength and Jump cast his high jump would be (3 + STR MODIFIER (-1 at 9 strength) x 3) 6 feet high...not really useful. This becomes more useful for a melee build as STR will likely not be a dump stat.

It does become useful for long jump even for the low strength characters.

Yeah, again, useful, but likely not useful enough considering the other options. I can think of one way to immediately make it far more viable; make the using the Jump spell effectively give you a free Disengage, so that magically jumping away doesn't provoke opportunity attacks. It becomes an instant "get out of jail free" card for blastlocks, and would even help bladelocks position themselves in melee in all sorts of ways. That one little change would completely help make that invocation viable.

Talionis
2018-06-05, 12:31 PM
I'm honestly unsure anything restricted to 1/day (that isn't a day-long duration, anyway) is really worth both an Invocation and a Warlock spell slot. Heck, do the Invocations even really let you count as knowing those spells? Could you cast them with another class's spell slots?

I don't think even Mystic Arcanum actually count as a "known spell" for purposes of other classes' spell slots, unlike known pact magic spells.

Hah. The image of a bird pulling a warlock along through the air is funny. It's an interesting question whether they would need to be able to drag your weight by their strength score or not. You may be hovering, but you're still massive...

Yeah, we knew drag was an issue. I think we halved the flight speed or maybe 1/3 the speed. I can't remember. I could get anywhere at that point, but not well or quick.

Joe the Rat
2018-06-05, 12:36 PM
I'll need to try and dig up my invocation-building worksheet.

General rule of spell-like invocations:

At-will spells of a internal or utility nature are available near level-of access: silent image, detect magic, speak with animals, false life, and mage armor are at 2. You could make the case for this being a half-step increase, but I'd suspect most of these would be available at 1, or bump detect and speak with animals to 3 if they didn't drop everything on level 2.
Cast-with-slot (which is really an additional known spell with a 1/day use limit) is at level; and usually eschews materials.
External at-wills of informational nature (speak with dead, arcane eye) are at 2 spell levels higher.
Self-only at will movement spells are three and a half spell levels higher in access: +4 for jump, +3 for levitate. Frankly I'd drop Otherworldly Leap to 7th.

So what are the cast-with-slot invocations? Functionally, they are additional "spells known" from other lists, with a 1/day use limit. But they don't act like known spells (in regard to other spell slots, for example) They's a little like the Arcana - one-a-day use, save that they require fuel... it's sort of a halfway construct.

Incidentally, I'm ballparking at-will, concentration-using self-flight at level 11 as an invocation, or maybe 15 for a pure, 30' move, at-will invocation (13 by level, +1 for "nobody gets it at 13" adjustment).

Lombra
2018-06-05, 12:47 PM
I love it, there's something about leaping great distances that really clicks with me. Especially if the jumper is cladded in heavy armor. Don't know why.

Segev
2018-06-05, 02:43 PM
Fixed that.

I have never regretted taking this invocation. I would say unless you have a way to fly without concentration it is very worth while.

As an aside, I think sculptor of flesh is also a good pick, despite using a slot and being 1/day.Can you give some examples, either directly from experience or just in general, as to how you'd use both these that makes them worthwhile? Especially taking into account the 1/day limitation on Sculptor of Flesh.

What have you done with Otherworldly Leap that a) you wouldn't have been able to do without it (perhaps a fly spell, or Abundant Step), and b) that wouldn't have been equally well-served by devoting a Warlock spell known to it (I know it isn't available, but if it "fits" as an Invocation there is no reason it couldn't "fit" as a first level spell).

"Never regretting" taking it is a strong statement, so I'm hoping you can sell me on just how useful the constant overcharged jumping is!

Incidentally, I'm ballparking at-will, concentration-using self-flight at level 11 as an invocation, or maybe 15 for a pure, 30' move, at-will invocation (13 by level, +1 for "nobody gets it at 13" adjustment).
Interesting build rules; I like it.

I would, however, put at-will flight at 15th level, since Dragon Sorcerers get it at 14th.

Vogie
2018-06-05, 10:51 PM
It's moderately interesting as a question: would jump be worth taking as a first-level Warlock spell? Warlocks get (very) roughly twice as many spells known as they do invocations, so it's still a hefty opportunity cost.

Technically it is on the expanded spell list of The Seeker.

I do think taking jump is a worthwhile spell... if you're doing a 1 level dip in Sorcerer for whatever reason. But burning one of your three 5th level spell slots at level, say, 11, would SUCK and would feel absolutely terrible.

And the fact that it gives the player a bit of an... otherworldly... feel makes it certainly shine in Warlocks specifically.

Would it be better or worse if the invocation merely said "Your jump distance is tripled"? Effectively the same, but just removing the action required to activate, at the cost of sounding lame?

Vorpalchicken
2018-06-05, 11:11 PM
Not losing concentration on your precious spell while being able to deal with pits or obstacles or low flying jerks you want to touch is just very nice.

Polymorph is just an awesome spell. I can see why a DM wouldn't want you to cast it once every hour.

An 8 strength could be a disincentive to take otherworldly leap but it still lets you leap across a wider gap than the 20 strength brute in your midst.

Segev
2018-06-06, 09:57 AM
Technically it is on the expanded spell list of The Seeker.Not familiar with this Patron. Where can it be found?

Would it be better or worse if the invocation merely said "Your jump distance is tripled"? Effectively the same, but just removing the action required to activate, at the cost of sounding lame?It would be mechanically better, but not by a practically meaningful amount, and would be just as lame as a 9th level expenditure of your very limited list of Invocations.

Not losing concentration on your precious spell while being able to deal with pits or obstacles or low flying jerks you want to touch is just very nice.

Polymorph is just an awesome spell. I can see why a DM wouldn't want you to cast it once every hour.

An 8 strength could be a disincentive to take otherworldly leap but it still lets you leap across a wider gap than the 20 strength brute in your midst.

I'm just not seeing the situations where you have to both maintain concentration on another spell and "deal with pits or obstacles" at the same time come up often enough for at-will jump to matter. Again, compare to if jump were just on the Warlock spell list.

Polymorph is nice, but its duration is so limited that doing it only once per day makes it ... well, maybe it's just my disgust for all once-per-day abilities. I rarely use them. Even as a Wizard or Sorcerer with only one spell slot of a particular level, I tend to look for spells that have long durations to expend them on in order to make them feel worthwhile. Having blown both an Invocation and a spell slot on a once/day ability just... polymorph isn't THAT awesome. It isn't THAT game-changing.

And all the situations I can think of where it'd be something I was glad I had are ones where its duration makes it not as useful as nearly any other choice. As an offensive ability, it's particularly lackluster, given the save that can make your one use of it utterly wasted. As a buff, you're either playing like a weak wizard and doing it once on your fighter or somebody else (and honestly, you should probably play a different class if using it on yourself is your plan), or you're better off with the fly spell or the Invocation that lets you breathe underwater.

Edit: Correction; the duration is not as big a limiter as I thought. You can at least explore a short dungeon in an hour if you really must. And yet, I still find myself underwhelmed by doing this once per day and costing a spell slot. It doesn't even benefit from a higher-level spell slot, so it isn't even a marginal advantage. It might be worth it if it was once/day without spending a spell slot nor requiring material components, and the Warlock didn't have to concentrate on it.

nickl_2000
2018-06-06, 09:58 AM
Not familiar with this Patron. Where can it be found?

It's from UA, non-divine faithful. https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA%20Non-Divine%20Faithful%20SFG.pdf

Segev
2018-06-06, 10:52 AM
It's from UA, non-divine faithful. https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA%20Non-Divine%20Faithful%20SFG.pdf

Thanks!

...ugh, wow, its optional Pact Boon is flat-out inferior to the existing ones. Half of it is a minor sub-set of Pact of the Tome. (Okay, okay, it takes an Invocation to make Pact of the Tome give rituals, but still....)